Holodecks as Public Space

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Holodecks as Public Space

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

Howdy all. I recently purchased a holodeck from the "Holodeck Superstore" and consider it the most important innovation in use of SL space that I have seen. If you haven't seen it, you can read an article about it [url=http://slnn.com/index.php/article/about ... l:1v52xpf2]here[/url:1v52xpf2]. Basically it's a room that has a panel on the wall that automatically rezzes furniture and decorations so that the single room can become any of a number of rooms: a garden, an office, a lounge, a meeting room, etc.

Why not use a large holodeck as the main place for public meetings, with options to quickly change from church to rathaus to courtroom to ballroom to lecture hall, etc.? It seems to me that it's very rare indeed that more than one public building is in use at a time. This would enable us to have a thriving public space at great prim economy, while freeing up more land for tier-paying residents.

Further, it is a genuine use of SL space that is different from RL space.

It's refreshing to write about something other than the Judiciary on these fora. :)

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Holodecks as Public Space

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Gxeremio Dimsum":6anzmq81]Why not use a large holodeck as the main place for public meetings, with options to quickly change from church to rathaus to courtroom to ballroom to lecture hall, etc.? It seems to me that it's very rare indeed that more than one public building is in use at a time. This would enable us to have a thriving public space at great prim economy, while freeing up more land for tier-paying residents.

Further, it is a genuine use of SL space that is different from RL space.[/quote:6anzmq81]

Thanks for the headsup - it's a great idea. I'm wondering if it could possibly tie in with the idea of redeveloping the former "Altenburg" into a theme park with different amusement rides each of which could be enabled at the touch of a holodeck button.

I guess however that in its current incarnation the holodeck is more suitably used for purposes such as those that you exemplify.

Oh and by the way considering the relatively small size of the "inside the wall dwellings" of Neufreistadt perhaps the potential of the holodeck for CDS is not limited to only public buildings. In fact using some sort of holodeck functionality might well negate the present disadvantage that some of the more diminutive city dwellings suffer relative to first land or larger plots.

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Holodeck

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Sounds good.

While I like walking from one place to another
(makes it seem like you're actually in a town),

I think that maybe a holodeck could be good for reverting rooms/places
with a lot of party decorations etc (xmas stuff, stalls) back to their original state.

Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

It truly seems a creative concept. At the same time, it would concern me if we made even less use of our public buildings than we do now. Perhaps this could be considered as part of the new sim concept.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Oni Jiutai
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Oni Jiutai »

I've taken a look at the holo-decks and have to say they're incredibly cool.

I wondered if we could use one to do a "Welcome to...", "All about..." marketing presentation somewhere. People could switch between the RA, the SC e.t.c with different rooms appearing - together with posters to explain the different parts of the CDS.

Maybe some of the more important personages could be persuaded to sit for the SL equivalent of wax models?

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

[quote="Oni Jiutai":riz5pews]I've taken a look at the holo-decks and have to say they're incredibly cool.

I wondered if we could use one to do a "Welcome to...", "All about..." marketing presentation somewhere. People could switch between the RA, the SC e.t.c with different rooms appearing - together with posters to explain the different parts of the CDS.

Maybe some of the more important personages could be persuaded to sit for the SL equivalent of wax models?[/quote:riz5pews]

What a great idea!

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

It's a nice idea, although I agree it would be difficult to work into the existing sims. (As an aside, my fellow Squidsoft personage Lex Neva has made the Rez-faux, a system for storing builds in a similar way; she's also made a 'holodeck' version for storing sets of furniture though she doesn't sell that one as yet. I might ask if she'd be willing to do the work for the CDS, though she's not got a lot of free time these days.)

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[quote="Oni Jiutai":10skdq24]I wondered if we could use one to do a "Welcome to...", "All about..." marketing presentation somewhere.
People could switch between the RA, the SC e.t.c with different rooms appearing -
together with posters to explain the different parts of the CDS.[/quote:10skdq24]

[b:10skdq24]PLUS[/b:10skdq24]

[quote="Ranma Tardis":10skdq24](...) I could (...) set up some sort of infomation center for the cds.
I still have my 512 sq meters unused on the mainland. You could set up an embassy there.
Give me your thoughts! -Ranma[/quote:10skdq24]

[b:10skdq24]= A kick ass presentation/embassy![/b:10skdq24]

Trying to make this mainland parcel part of the CDS: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Tethys/64/158/72/

Return to “General Discussion”