Public consultation: judicial qualification requirements

Forum to discuss issues pertaining to the organisation and operations of the judiciary.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

[quote="Fernando Book":bnk6xsfr]Since we haven't the transcript of the meeting, I'm only relying in my memory, but I think that the RA approved the 3 first points of the Resolution re Judiciary.

[quote:bnk6xsfr]
1) The SC should qualify and RA should appoint at least three (two additional) judges.

2) There should be at least three Judges to constitute the Board of the Judiciary; once fully constituted the Board should elect one of their number to serve as Chief Judge.

3) The fully-constituted Board (of at least three members) should propose the adoption of rules (procedures, ethics, judicial qualifications, etc.) subject to a period of public comment, and which may be rejected or amended by the RA prior to final adoption. [/quote:bnk6xsfr]

The enforcement of the resolution, as I understood the debate, doesn't depend on having a timetable, but on effectively having two more judges in a couple of weeks. I. e., if we have no more judges under your system, the qualification process falls back to the Scientific Council.[/quote:bnk6xsfr]

It really would be helpful for transcripts to be posted more expeditiously. Firstly, point (3) was removed. Secondly, point (6) had been to pass constitutional amendments to impliment the resolution, which part was deliberately not passed. And, thirdly, I recall it being expressly mentioned by Claude that the problem was one of [i:bnk6xsfr]perception[/i:bnk6xsfr] that I would postpone indefinitely the appointment of further judges, and that a timetable would, therefore, as far as he was concerned at least, be sufficient. Pelanor voted against it in its entirety, and Moon was not present. A constitutional amendment would require 4 people to vote in favour of it. We do not know what Moon would vote and Pelanor would, on the basis of the previous meeting, vote against it, as would Claude, if the problem of perception was addressed by having a fixed timetable.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Fernando Book
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Fernando Book »

The perception problem is not one about timetable and deadlines, is one about you (not Ashcroft Burnham, but one single person) controlling the whole process of the implementation of the Judiciary.
If one man writes the law, the line between one and another blurs and your Aristotle quote looses its sense.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Fernando Book":1zho4qcb]The perception problem is not one about timetable and deadlines, is one about you (not Ashcroft Burnham, but one single person) controlling the whole process of the implementation of the Judiciary.[/quote:1zho4qcb]

It seems that different people have different perceptions: this is certainly not what Claude said that the problem was at the RA meeting. He specifically referred to a perception that I would delay for a long period of time the judicial appointment process for the remaning two judges as the perception that constituted a problem.

Do not forget that it was not me who first proposed the idea of the Board of the Judiciary Commission, of published qualification requirements, or a published code of ethics, all written by the Board: it was a member of the legislature, Moon Adamant (she proposed a different name for it, the "Order of Judges": I adapted the name and wording to make it consitent with the way in which the rest of the Judiciary Act was structured). She proposed that as a solution to the then deadlock about judicial appointments, and whether judicial appointments should be in the hands of the judiciary or the legislature. That two-stage process that Moon proposed is what lead to the present position of the existing judges qualifying applicats for judicial office, and a non-political board of people elected for the purpose (the PJSP) appointing them, with special fallbacks to be used if, and only if, it is not possible to use that system because there are no judges or there is no PJSP. That proposal was put in place to deal with the point that existing judges are in the best position to determine who is best qualified to be a judge, and the counter-concern that there should be direct citizen involvement in the judicial appointment process.

Being the only judge, the system that Moon proposed, that I adapted, and that the RA voted for (unanimously, thrice) entailed that, if we were to have more judges, I should have to write qualification requirements, then administer a test to see whether candidates met those requirements. In accordance with the scehme on which all agreed as a resolution to the deadlock, the Constitution provides [i:1zho4qcb]no other way[/i:1zho4qcb] of appointing further judges once one judge has been appointed. If I did [i:1zho4qcb]not[/i:1zho4qcb] write the qualificaiton requirements, then there would be no way of fulfilling the Chair of the Judiciary Commission's quota of three judges, since there would be no means by which any further judges could ever be qualified.

It is for that reason that I find most disturbing attempts to characterise my efforts in fulfilling my constitutional duties as the only present member of the Board of the Judiciary Commission as anything other than a conscienscious attempt to do what is necessary to secure a working judiciary, and to ensure that the quota of judges set by the Chair of the Judiciary Commission is met.

[quote:1zho4qcb]If one man writes the law, the line between one and another blurs and your Aristotle quote looses its sense.[/quote:1zho4qcb]

The judicial qualification requirements are not "law". They are the published internal procedures of the Board of the Judiciary Commission in selecting people to qualify as judges.

Ashcroft Burnham

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Thoughts about the Judiciary debates

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

Speaking as only one member of the RA, I have a couple of points to make on this continuing debate regarding the judiciary:

(1) as to today's RA meeting, I believe it was clear that the RA was willing to see what developed with regard to implementation of the judiciary, while at the same time insisting on moving forward expeditiously with more than just a one-person judicial branch. I for one wanted to see what Ashcroft devised before deciding whether to change the implementation scheme to adopt Publius' proposal to let the SC qualify our next two judges.

(2) I once applied for a judicial office in RL. The application process was far less cumbersome than what Ash has proposed. No essay exams were involved, no "marking of papers", just a reasonably short application form with an interview with the appointing authority. (Note: In my RL state, state judges are elected for a term of office, though vacancies are filled by an appointment by the governor until the next election; federal judges are appointed by the president with confirmation by a 2/3 vote of the Senate. Other federal judicial offices, such as Magistrates and Bankruptcy Judges -- and I was applying for one of those --- are picked by the lifetime federal judges with advice from a panel of lawyers and prominent citizens, and for the record, they picked the better candidate who wasn't me.) Of course, most of the selecting panel had experience with the candidates, or knew those who had experience with the candidates as attorneys, and we don't have similar experiences with our prospective judges. Though we do know those who have written on the forums, and from those writings I think Ashcroft and Beathan would both do creditable jobs as judges, as would many others. Rudy and Fernando come to mind as those who have demonstrated keen minds, even without my having any idea of what kind of legal experience they might have.

(3) There is a regrettable tendency of those of us who hire folks for jobs to want to replicate ourselves. SL is a very diverse community, as is the CDS, and I don't see the proposed judicial selection plan as sufficiently respectful of that diversity. I also think the rigor of the process will discourage all but the most dedicated of prospective nominees -- but then again, that's probably the point.

(4) All of the foregoing notwithstanding (how's that for a legal-sounding disclaimer?), I think there is something of a disconnect between two segments of our community. On the one hand, we have Ashcroft and his proposed judicial selection methods may be very useful for picking a SecondLife world-wide judiciary -- highly qualified (usually with legal experience) professionals who have been vetted through a series of diffcult hurdles, deciding significant commercial cases in robes in a virtual courtroom that echoes elements of RL systems. On the other hand, we have others (Publius? Fernando? others?) who would be happy with a tribal chieftain sitting on a stool in the middle of the Forum deciding the balance between citizens arguing over the placement of prims that overlap. In other words, are we picking judges to help rule (or provide a model for ruling) our virtual world, or just our little CDS corner of the virtual world?

I hope others (simplicity party or otherwise) will chime in on this debate, if only to provide some further guidance for this humble elected representative.

Fernando Book
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Fernando Book »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":1912rd4c]It is for that reason that I find most disturbing attempts to characterise my efforts in fulfilling my constitutional duties as the only present member of the Board of the Judiciary Commission as anything other than a conscienscious attempt to do what is necessary to secure a working judiciary, and to ensure that the quota of judges set by the Chair of the Judiciary Commission is met. [/quote:1912rd4c]
At this point, we are talking about judiciary politics, and in politics things are not only what they are, but what they seem.
[quote:1912rd4c]
The judicial qualification requirements are not "law". They are the published internal procedures of the Board of the Judiciary Commission in selecting people to qualify as judges[/quote:1912rd4c]
Degrading the qualification process from law to internal procedures (and I see a clear distinction between stating the rules of judges selection and stating the time of the internal meetings) doesn't change the spirit of what I said. And, about the relative importance of laws and the regulations developing the laws, in Spain we always remember the sentence by the Count of Romanones, thrice Prime Minister, who said, speaking of the Congress with a bit of contempt: "Let them write the laws, and I'll write the regulations".

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Thoughts about the Judiciary debates

Just one or two coments.

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":25zdd2c3](2) I once applied for a judicial office in RL. The application process was far less cumbersome than what Ash has proposed. No essay exams were involved, no "marking of papers", just a reasonably short application form with an interview with the appointing authority. (Note: In my RL state, state judges are elected for a term of office, though vacancies are filled by an appointment by the governor until the next election; federal judges are appointed by the president with confirmation by a 2/3 vote of the Senate. Other federal judicial offices, such as Magistrates and Bankruptcy Judges -- and I was applying for one of those --- are picked by the lifetime federal judges with advice from a panel of lawyers and prominent citizens, and for the record, they picked the better candidate who wasn't me.) Of course, most of the selecting panel had experience with the candidates, or knew those who had experience with the candidates as attorneys, and we don't have similar experiences with our prospective judges. Though we do know those who have written on the forums, and from those writings I think Ashcroft and Beathan would both do creditable jobs as judges, as would many others. Rudy and Fernando come to mind as those who have demonstrated keen minds, even without my having any idea of what kind of legal experience they might have.[/quote:25zdd2c3]

Although I do not know the details of your judicial system, I rather doubt that just [i:25zdd2c3]anyone[/i:25zdd2c3] could have applied to be a judge, and the entire decision be based on a brief and informal process. No doubt, those who applied for judicial office would already have had to have had some sort of formal legal qualification (which, of course, would be far [i:25zdd2c3]more[/i:25zdd2c3] rigerous), and have demonstrated to the appointers over time (not necessarily as part of the formal appointment process itself) that he or she was a skilled lawyer. In other words, the formal appointment process itself would no doubt actually have been a culmination of a lengthy period of time, starting with the person's undergraduate degree, progressing to the legal qualification, and then the knowledge accumulated during practice, the totality of which would be far more lengthy and rigerous (one would hope) than what I propose here. The situation in relation to judges in England was very similar until recently (when the Judicial Appointments Commission was formed); in order to be, say, a High Court judge, one would simply have to be picked by the Lord Chancellor on the basis of a brief written application with a C. V., and perhaps a brief interview. But, to stand any chance at all of becoming a High Court judge, one would have to have been a practising barrister for probably near enough twenty years (with all the qualifications that that would entail), and, in addition, acheived a very great degree of distinction in one's profession.

Our situation here, of course, is markedly different. We are starting from cold, and, although I have some knowledge of some of the applicants, in the interests of impartiality (partly because one of the people interested in applying is a real-life friend of mine), I have created a system where the applications are strictly anonymised so that the qualification process is based only on the information contained in response to the questionairres. Clearly, one cannot tell who will and who will not be a good judge on the basis of a few brief answers: one must be rigerous. Indeed, there is a sense in which we have to be [i:25zdd2c3]more[/i:25zdd2c3] rigerous, in some respects at least, with our judicial applicants than some real-life judicial applicants (at least those in the very lower courts), since it takes a greater degree of inginuity and intellectual skill to carve out a coherent set of judicial precedents from nothing than it does to apply existing, long settled law.

It must also be borne in mind that, at least at present when we have only the one Court of Common Jurisdiction, the rights of appeal are very limited (only on the ground that the Court has acted outside its constitutional jurisdiction), and so there is no real oversight from more senior judges. The rigour with which we qualify judges must, therefore, be measured against the rigour with which real-world [i:25zdd2c3]higher[/i:25zdd2c3] court judges are selected (at least until we set up an inferior court), and not the more junior judges. We cannot be, for practical reasons, anything like as rigerous as applicants, for example, to the High Court bench in England, that require not only several rounds of interviews in addition to a written application, but effectively mandate a long (multi-decade) and highly distungished career at the Bar, but the limits on rigour should be only practical limits, and not principled ones, since principle points us to more, rather than less, rigour.

[quote:25zdd2c3](3) There is a regrettable tendency of those of us who hire folks for jobs to want to replicate ourselves. SL is a very diverse community, as is the CDS, and I don't see the proposed judicial selection plan as sufficiently respectful of that diversity. I also think the rigor of the process will discourage all but the most dedicated of prospective nominees -- but then again, that's probably the point.[/quote:25zdd2c3]

It is unclear what [i:25zdd2c3]sort[/i:25zdd2c3] of diversity that you mean. I do not think that it is a fair characterisation of my qualification criteria that it is not respectful of diversity, especially as you have not explained exactly what you mean by that. In constructing the application form, I have deliberately avoided asking questions about matters that are both controversial and on which I have a strong opinion. What other than that you could mean is, I am afraid, rather unclear. It must also be borne in mind that the choice of the legislature to delegate to the judiciary the power to qualify applicants for judicial office, and make that part of the consitution itself, means that the legislature should only afterwards seek to interfere in the process if there is a very serious problem indeed indicating that the whole system is in urgent need of reform, not merely because there is some level of disagreement with the sorts of qualifications required.

As to dedication, it is indeed the point that, if we are going to have people making binding decisions about things that substantially affect members of our community, and do that individually, requiring a certain level of dedication is a good, rather than a bad, thing. The only good reason not to require that dedication would be if it was not possible to find enough people that dedicated. So far, that has not proven to be the case: it is looking like we might well have more applicants for judicial office than places available, especially if we allow people to sit as part-time judges and also practise law (which is a rather good idea, suggested by Beathan and Publius).

[quote:25zdd2c3](4) All of the foregoing notwithstanding (how's that for a legal-sounding disclaimer?), I think there is something of a disconnect between two segments of our community. On the one hand, we have Ashcroft and his proposed judicial selection methods may be very useful for picking a SecondLife world-wide judiciary -- highly qualified (usually with legal experience) professionals who have been vetted through a series of diffcult hurdles, deciding significant commercial cases in robes in a virtual courtroom that echoes elements of RL systems. On the other hand, we have others (Publius? Fernando? others?) who would be happy with a tribal chieftain sitting on a stool in the middle of the Forum deciding the balance between citizens arguing over the placement of prims that overlap. In other words, are we picking judges to help rule (or provide a model for ruling) our virtual world, or just our little CDS corner of the virtual world?[/quote:25zdd2c3]

We cannot pretend to govern the whole of SecondLife, but that does not mean that we do not need highly skilled judges. The "skilled and complex" versus "unskilled and basic" debate does not turn on whether we seek to govern the whole of SecondLife or just our own (growing) nation. As indicated above, when passing the Judiciary Act that left the qualification requirements to the judiciary (remember, the argument that I had put forward in favour of leaving that requirement to the judiciary was that it was of paramount importance to ensure sufficient judicial skill), the legislature (rightly) enshrined in the constitution the principle that the existing judiciary should determine what suffices to qualify a person for judicial office. It would be wholly wrong for the legislature lightly to reverse that position almost immediately after it has come about. I am not suggesting that that is what you are seeking to do, but it is clear that there are some who would do it.

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Judicial qualification applications now open

Following the relatively limited feedback on this thread, applications for qualification for judicial office in the CDS are now open. The final version of the qualification requirements can be downloaded [url=http://hyperupload.com/download/02b1ba6 ... l:hfat5xk2]here[/url:hfat5xk2].

See [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... 1:hfat5xk2]here[/url:hfat5xk2]for further details.

Ashcroft Burnham

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Ash --

I cannot download readable files from either of your links.

Beathan

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Beathan":3eisgvti]Ash --

I cannot download readable files from either of your links.

Beathan[/quote:3eisgvti]

Rats. It might be a problem with naming: they are PDF files, but I suspect that, for some reason, that server truncated the filename so as to remove the ".pdf" extension. Until I have time to try to fix the problem, try changing the filename extension manually by adding ".pdf". Please post again if this does not work for you. Thank you for your interest in the judicial vacancies :-)

Ashcroft Burnham

Fernando Book
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Fernando Book »

From our Chief Judge questionnaire. Excerpts.
[quote:2qij64lc]Read each question carefully. Most questions will be required to be answered in full. Some
questions contain choices as to which parts to answer. Failing to answer any question will result in
the mark for that question being “unacceptable”, which is likely to mean failing the whole test. If all
or both questions are mistakenly answered out of a range of alternatives, the first answer will be
marked, and subsequent answers disregarded. The end of the questionnaire is marked with “End”.
(...)
2. Answer ONE of the following two questions:
(a) What do you think that justice entails? (Answer in 750 or fewer words)
OR
(b) What is the function of law? (Answer in 750 or fewer words)
3. According to Hohfeld (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Newcomb_Hohfeld), how does a power differ from a
right? (Answer in 300 or fewer words)
4. Do you think that Hohfeld's analysis of the composition of law is:
(a) accurate;
AND
(b) complete?
(Answer in 1,000 or fewer words. Answer both parts of the question together in a single
essay.)
(...)
(a) A nswer BOTH parts:
i. Suppose that, next week, the Scientific Council vetoes an Act of the Representative
Assembly purporting to regulate election campaigning on the ground that a section
in the Act explicitly permits leaving posters at other people's houses permits
“spamming”, and is unconstitutional by Article IV, section 4 of the Constitution. Aweek after that, during an election campaign, one of the candidates brings
proceedings in a Court of Common Jurisdiction against another candidate for
“spamming” by leaving posters at other people's houses, seeking an injunction to
restrain the other candidate for so doing. Is the Court of Common Jurisdiction bound
by the decision of the Scientific Council in those circumstances? (AS 4, LK 6, CE 2)
ii. Suppose that you were judging the case described above; how would you go about
deciding whether or not to grant the injunction sought? On the information available
in the above question, how do you think that the case should be decided? (AS 6, LK
8, CE 5, FA 4, IN 4, PR 5)
(Answer both parts in a total of no more than 1,000 words)
(...)
10. Answer ONE of the following two questions:
(a) To what extent, if at all, is the company/incorporation law of the Confederation of
Democratic Simulators unsatisfactory? How would you change it if you had the chance?
Give reasons for your answers. (Answer in 1,500 or fewer words)
OR
(b) Is it true to say that planning law in the Confederation of Democratic Simulators is
predominantly private, rather than public, law? Give reasons for your answers. (Answer
in 1,500 or fewer words)
(...)
5. How would you react if, during the course of a trial, one party objected to the other party
calling a particular witness on the ground that that witness was unreliable and dishonest, and
said that he or she could call two witnesses who would prove that the first witness was
unreliable and dishonest? (Answer in 200 or fewer words)
Suppose that a person brought a case in a Court of Common Jurisdiction against another
person, claiming that the other person harassed the first by following him around in
Neufreistadt (where he lives) on occasions and saying insulting things. The person in
question denied it. Suppose that a rule of procedure allowed such a person to apply for an
interim order of restraint against such a person, and that person did so apply. Supposing that
you were minded to grant an order in those circumstances, how would you draft it? (Answer
by writing the draft of the order in as many words as you think are necessary. Make up the
names of the parties if you want, and other such details, within reason).
11.Suppose that, on the day of a trial, the party against whom a case of misconduct (such as the
malicious rumour or unsophisticated money trick in the above examples) was alleged,
claimed that he or she had an urgent appointment, and would not be able to attend the trial,
but refused to reveal any information about what the appointment was or how long that he
or she had known about it. How would you handle that situation? Would it make any
difference if it was to be a jury trial? Would it make any difference if the same thing had
happened on a previous occasion? (Answer in 250 or fewer words).
Suppose that you had presided over a lengthy trial without a jury, and you had reserved
judgment, which was due to be delivered next week. Suppose also that you had formed a
provisional view of the case in favour of the defendant, but had not yet reached a final
conclusion, because you needed more time to review the transcript of the evidence and the
papers in the case more thoroughly. Suppose further that the defendant in the case (evidently
accidentally) sent you an instant message that appeared to have been destined to her or his
legal representative, which directly contradicted the evidence that the defendant had given in
oral testimony in court, and strongly undermined her or his case. What would you do?
Would it make any difference if you had accidentally overheard the defendant talking at a
social event that you were attending, and he or she had said the same thing? (Answer in 400
or fewer words).[/quote:2qij64lc]
Judge by yourself. (No pun intended, no pun achieved).

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Fernando Book":1a0xeswm]From our Chief Judge questionnaire. Excerpts.
[snip]
Judge by yourself. (No pun intended, no pun achieved).[/quote:1a0xeswm]

Are you trying to make a point? If so, what is it?

Ashcroft Burnham

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

I generally use questionnaires like these myself when assessing candidates for jobs that I advertise in the classifieds.

I don't require people to write essays however since I only pay them at the maximum say 1,000L$ for one drafting exercise or 4,000L$ for a one-off mission. I understand that the salary for a professional judge in CDS will be around 1,000L$ so it seems to me that it could not be the money alone that would motivate people to go through this obstacle course to become a judge.

By the way I think it would be prudent if the acting chief judge himself stepped down at the appropriate time and re-applied for a position as a judge in order to be submitted to the same procedure that is required of others to pass in order that [b:v74nvkdn]all[/b:v74nvkdn] judges sitting may truly be considered each other's peers.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":hyjfjui7]By the way I think it would be prudent if the acting chief judge...[/quote:hyjfjui7]

There is no such rank as "acting chief judge". A person is either the Chief Judge of Common Jurisdiction or he or she is not.

Ashcroft Burnham

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

... but I recognise of course that to be a personal decision one would have to make in accordance with one's own conscience.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Ordinarily, I oppose the popular election of judges. My State elects judges, and has many other populist institutions arising from the fact that our Constitution was written at the height of the American populist movement. Election of judges is problematic.

However, I think that popular election of judges -- and a requirement that judges stand for periodic reelection -- would work well with this democratic experiment of ours. The office of judge is potentially very dangerous and easily abused. It needs to be checked -- and elections do check it.

Alternatively, I would propose using a system like we have for selecting Federal judges. Federal judges would be proposed by the SC and confirmed by the RA. The RA would be free to ask whatever questions of the judge candidates that they believe to be appropriate at the time.

Both these proposals seem far superior to me than the qualification crucible proposed by Ashcroft. First, these proposals are both simple but highly functional. Second, both proposals provide for flexibility in selection so that the requirements of selection comport with the needs at the time (rather than trying to anticipate all possible needs and building in many requirements that may be entirely superfluous to the actual performance of the office). Finally, both these proposals are functional and doable. The Ashcroft proposal strikes me as being more calculated to discourage others from applying for the position of judge than they are calculated to ensure qualified people fill those offices. These burdens might well be counterproductive, as the most qualified candidate might well be too busy in real life to complete the rather Herculean task set out.

I am also concerned about the bias in the questionaire. It calls for discussion of many concepts not current in American law. This might indicate a bias in favor of British applicants (assuming the concepts are active concepts in British jurisprudence). Such a bias is probably not appropriate for our community.

I would rather see judges appointed who have the dignitas and gravitas to do the job of judging without creating resentment in the parties to the case being decided. Frankly, this is more important for the social order and preservation of law and justice than any particular result is. In other words, I would rather have a judge who is wrong but even-keeled with good judicial affect and the kind of personality that inspires respect despite disagreement than a judge who always gets the correct result while alienating the litigants in the process. I'm not sure that the justice system could survive such justice.

Again, the Ashcroft proposal might well result in judges who have exceptionable ability to make correct decisions -- but it will exclude fine candidates at the outset and it does not seem reasonably calculated to select candidates who can judge well as well as judge correctly.

Return to “Judiciary Discussion”