TP again

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: TP again

Post by Sonja Strom »

That's a really good idea. Would you like me to do it, or would you rather have it as part of a regular announcement?

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

TP in NFS, hubs

Post by Jamie Palisades »

As a personal opinion, only, I think it would be a mistake to lose the NFS hub.

The hub concentrates incoming traffic to the place where the best scenery, the main public buildings. and the visitor information are in view.
it makes the Platz more of the authentic meeting space that such places are in RL ... as opposed to a suburb, where all persons drive in and out of their own houses, and never see each other. We need other things than roads to create the "village" feel, in a world where avatars fly, and enter sims by TPs, not road. This change would be like tearing down the Stadt walls, so any person can walk in from any place -- no more roads, no more gates.

It is interesting to me that, in Caledon, the owner always takes a vote only of the hub-adjacent parcels. Many Caledon sims have gone hubless ... but some of the commercial concentrations, like Caledon Victoria City, have gone against it ... they like their centrality for commerce. I understand that Des, Caledon's owner, polls all hub-adjacent owners, because he believes that their value is partially hub proximity, and does not wish to take away (without consensus) something of value which was part of what they acquired when they purchased. Under the property law of some RL nations, when a government makes a citizen's land less valuable, it is considered a government "taking" (confiscation) -- some of those laws prohibit it. I wonder what CDS law says about that?

Sonja, I understand you are starting a new Alpine mainland sim, very similar in look to ours, to compete with NFS for rentals. Did you plan to use a hub there? It would be interesting to hear how the issues feel outside NFS. Does it being on mainland change anything? Sudane, any lessons from the commercial hubs in SLNE?

Regards Jamie

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: TP again

Post by Sudane Erato »

While SLNE, as an *Estate*, is technically hubless (direct TP is an "estate-wide" setting), the three commercial sims, managed by Gayle Cabaret, are very rigidly "landing spot" oriented. Most of each sim is a single parcel, and each parcel restricts incoming TPs to a landing spot. Gayle feels very strongly that this is essential to maintaining the values of the commercial spaces, forcing the traffic to arrive in one spot.

Functionally, that's the same as the discussion here. We *can't* use hubs because the estate is direct TP, but we can make an effective sim-wide "hub" by using the parcel's landing spot.

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: TP in NFS, hubs

Post by Sonja Strom »

Jamie Palisades wrote:

Sonja, I understand you are starting a new Alpine mainland sim, very similar in look to ours, to compete with NFS for rentals. Did you plan to use a hub there? It would be interesting to hear how the issues feel outside NFS. Does it being on mainland change anything?

My intention is not for Arosa Village to compete with NFS for rentals, which seems to me like an antogonistic view of it. As I have said to Jamie and many others, my intention is for Arosa to became a mainland extension of the CDS, what is described in the CDS legal system as a "Franchulate." I will not try to have a hub there, mostly because I think people should be able to go where they want.

Return to “Sim and City Planning”