Altenburg?

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":24vo231s]Diderot, I am very puzzled by your response. I cannot conceive how you think that Kendra was suggesting that you censor yourself: it is quite obvious to me that she was asking that the place not be called "Park Altenburg" because she had ownership of the name "Altenburg". It did indeed appear to be making some sort of IP claim to the name, although Kendra has since clarified that point. There really is no need to be uncivil to anyone, whether you think that they are asserting an IP right or merely asking you to respect a gentleman's agreement.[/quote:24vo231s]
I notice that you have given up trying to defend your absurd notion that my use of the expression "Altenburg" was evidence as to the intended official designation of the area in question.

As to your inability to conceive that Kendra was suggesting my self-censorship:
[quote="Kendra Bancroft":24vo231s]The fact that it once had a life within the walls of what is now Neufreistadt does not entitle Neufreistadt to the use of the name Altenburg.[/quote:24vo231s]
The complaint / claim was made in response to a forum posting, which seems to suggest that what the poster took offense to was the fact of a forum post even mentioning the name. The clarifying reference to the "Park Altenburg" proposal was only made subsequently.

I take the liberty of disregarding advice offered on the necessity of civility in so far as they do not seem to prevent the advisor from implying elsewhere the huge ignorance, insanity and similar characteristics displayed by people who subscribe to the idea of grounding rationality on a base broader than pure logic alone.

Kendra Bancroft
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Kendra Bancroft »

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":otpw9s4t][quote="Ashcroft Burnham":otpw9s4t]Diderot, I am very puzzled by your response. I cannot conceive how you think that Kendra was suggesting that you censor yourself: it is quite obvious to me that she was asking that the place not be called "Park Altenburg" because she had ownership of the name "Altenburg". It did indeed appear to be making some sort of IP claim to the name, although Kendra has since clarified that point. There really is no need to be uncivil to anyone, whether you think that they are asserting an IP right or merely asking you to respect a gentleman's agreement.[/quote:otpw9s4t]
I notice that you have given up trying to defend your absurd notion that my use of the expression "Altenburg" was evidence as to the intended official designation of the area in question.

As to your inability to conceive that Kendra was suggesting my self-censorship:
[quote="Kendra Bancroft":otpw9s4t]The fact that it once had a life within the walls of what is now Neufreistadt does not entitle Neufreistadt to the use of the name Altenburg.[/quote:otpw9s4t]
The complaint / claim was made in response to a forum posting, which seems to suggest that what the poster took offense to was the fact of a forum post even mentioning the name. The clarifying reference to the "Park Altenburg" proposal was only made subsequently.

I take the liberty of disregarding advice offered on the necessity of civility in so far as they do not seem to prevent the advisor from implying elsewhere the huge ignorance, insanity and similar characteristics displayed by people who subscribe to the idea of grounding rationality on a base broader than pure logic alone.[/quote:otpw9s4t]

Lordy, you are reaching.

Even reading what you quoted of mine, it's quite clear that I a reminding The City of Neufreistadt that the name Altenburg reflects my own private enterprises.

I make no reference to using it in a forum. I was very clear about the use of it as a place name in the City. Sheeeeeesh. Or did you change your name to Neufreistadt?

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":3jw75g44][quote="Ashcroft Burnham":3jw75g44]Because it is customary to call a place by its official name[/quote:3jw75g44]I see! Does that mean I should in the future refer to your place as "1415 Ulrikastrasse" rather than "Ashcroft's home" if I want to conform with customs or is your statement possibly just a bland assertion?[/quote:3jw75g44]
Your statement implies that the customary - i.e. the most frequently used - way of referring to your home would be using the official designation, which is "1415 Ulrikastrasse." I point out that the most frequently used term is rather "Ashcroft's home", which refutes your unqualified claim that it is in all cases customary to use the official designation to refer to a place.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":3jw75g44]the parcel name on the "About land" box for the area is still "Altenburg" - it has been since before I came to Neufreistadt.[/quote:3jw75g44]
That is indeed the case. Yet Kendra's complaint is not made until the point when I make my post utilising the term in the forum. Bearing this circumstance in mind are you then still unable to see how I can interpret Kendra as taking issue with my use of the term in a forum posting? Does it not seem natural to you to assume that if Kendra had been primarily protesting the facts on the ground she would have placed the complaint at a much earlier point in time since as you say the facts of the name being used for the plot were available for anyone to see for an extended period of roughly half a year?

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":3jw75g44]Calling a place by a name implies that that name is the official name of that place.[/quote:3jw75g44]
Utilising your splendid logic I come to the conclusion that whenever I refer to your parcel in Neufreistadt as "Ashcroft's home" I am actually implying that the name is the official name of the place.

Kendra Bancroft
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":3dghimj5][That is indeed the case. Yet Kendra's complaint is not made until the point when I make my post utilising the term in the forum. Bearing this circumstance in mind are you then still unable to see how I can interpret Kendra as taking issue with my use of the term in a forum posting? Does it not seem natural to you to assume that if Kendra had been primarily protesting the facts on the ground she would have placed the complaint at a much earlier point in time since as you say the facts of the name being used for the plot were available for anyone to see for an extended period of roughly half a year? [/quote:3dghimj5]

Simple. I wasn't aware that you were still using the name Altenburg.
It's not like I've visited Neufreistadt more than twice in all this time.

Neufreistadt onlly rarely even comes up on my personal radar screen.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Alright, children, I'm ending this silly debate now.

Kendra: On behalf of the CDS, as its Chancellor, I should like to apologize for the continued use of the name. While I believe the usage was solely intended as one of convience (as the region was, indeed, formerly Altenburg) it is improper to continue any implication that you are involved with the CDS. Whatever the real-life uses of "Altenburg", you are associated with the term in [i:1sf2o2ot]Second Life[/i:1sf2o2ot].

I have renamed the land region in question to "Undeveloped", subject to some more appropriate renaming in the future. As Chancellor, the maintence and use of public lands fall squarely on my head and I should have done so before now. If it helps at all, I believe the usage is closer to a mark of respect for what was once there than a malicious attempt at confusion.

Everyone else: I can't leave this forum to itself for even one night, can I?

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Kendra Bancroft
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":16zlvar3]Alright, children, I'm ending this silly debate now.

Kendra: On behalf of the CDS, as its Chancellor, I should like to apologize for the continued use of the name. While I believe the usage was solely intended as one of convience (as the region was, indeed, formerly Altenburg) it is improper to continue any implication that you are involved with the CDS. Whatever the real-life uses of "Altenburg", you are associated with the term in [i:16zlvar3]Second Life[/i:16zlvar3].

I have renamed the land region in question to "Undeveloped", subject to some more appropriate renaming in the future. As Chancellor, the maintence and use of public lands fall squarely on my head and I should have done so before now. If it helps at all, I believe the usage is closer to a mark of respect for what was once there than a malicious attempt at confusion.

Everyone else: I can't leave this forum to itself for even one night, can I?[/quote:16zlvar3]

Thank you, Chancellor. You have my gratitude.

Dianne
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Dianne »

bleh

Kendra, nice to hear from you I genuinely missed you. :)

But all this crap about Altenburg is really silly.

There is no way you can legally have [i:2p8j5lpz]any[/i:2p8j5lpz] claim on the name "Altenburg" as a copyright or trademark. There is the existence of the real historical city of Altenburg just for starters. While I don't believe anyone in the CDS is actually going to use that name (it would at least be changed to "Altenstadt" if anything), we could certainly use it if we want and there is nothing you could do about it.

It is nice of Aliasi to formally change it as chancellor, but do yourself a favour and forget about us. You would have a better argument for us changing the name of [i:2p8j5lpz]Kendrastrasse[/i:2p8j5lpz], but I notice you are not asking for that.

We left the street names, and the place names as they were, both because that's how it would be in a RL city, and because (I know you won't believe this ;) ), [i:2p8j5lpz]to [b:2p8j5lpz]honor[/b:2p8j5lpz] the founders of the city. [/i:2p8j5lpz] :shock: :shock: After the whole "terrorist" thing, several citizens were in favour of eradicating those two particular names from the city streets, but the majority thought this would be wrong and disrespectful.

In short we left those names as a "tip of the hat" to you (and your friend) and out of [i:2p8j5lpz]respect[/i:2p8j5lpz] and a desire to [i:2p8j5lpz]do the right thing[/i:2p8j5lpz] despite all the bad blood flowing at the time.

Believe it or Not.
Your choice.

Kendra Bancroft
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

[quote="Dianne":1tut31ow]bleh

Kendra, nice to hear from you I genuinely missed you. :)

But all this crap about Altenburg is really silly.

There is no way you can legally have [i:1tut31ow]any[/i:1tut31ow] claim on the name "Altenburg" as a copyright or trademark. There is the existence of the real historical city of Altenburg just for starters. While I don't believe anyone in the CDS is actually going to use that name (it would at least be changed to "Altenstadt" if anything), we could certainly use it if we want and there is nothing you could do about it.

It is nice of Aliasi to formally change it as chancellor, but do yourself a favour and forget about us. You would have a better argument for us changing the name of [i:1tut31ow]Kendrastrasse[/i:1tut31ow], but I notice you are not asking for that.

We left the street names, and the place names as they were, both because that's how it would be in a RL city, and because (I know you won't believe this ;) ), [i:1tut31ow]to [b:1tut31ow]honor[/b:1tut31ow] the founders of the city. [/i:1tut31ow] :shock: :shock: After the whole "terrorist" thing, several citizens were in favour of eradicating those two particular names from the city streets, but the majority thought this would be wrong and disrespectful.

In short we left those names as a "tip of the hat" to you (and your friend) and out of [i:1tut31ow]respect[/i:1tut31ow] and a desire to [i:1tut31ow]do the right thing[/i:1tut31ow] despite all the bad blood flowing at the time.

Believe it or Not.
Your choice.[/quote:1tut31ow]

I didn't say I have legal claim to the name, Dianne --in fact I made it abundantly clear that I don't. I also made it clear that I am not here to wage any battle over the name.

I merely said that as I still use the name Altenburg in my business, I would prefer that Neufrestadt did not. I do not use the term Kendrastrasse so have absolutely no issue wth that.

Certainly though I DO have issue with your store "Black"'s continued use of the name "Neualtenburg" in it's title.

I have no 'bad blood' towards Neufreistadt.

Return to “Sim and City Planning”