Poposed street layout change (for discussion)

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Dianne
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Poposed street layout change (for discussion)

Post by Dianne »

I have been flying around the city a lot rebuilding the walls that Ulrika destroyed, leveling Kendras old lot and installing the new walls there as well and I noticed a part of our City layout that has always struck me as a bit inconvenient.

I would like to put forward the idea that we push through a sidewalk or pathway to connect the south end of Talenstrasse & Gwynethstrasse, to the old Altenburg plot and thus provide access to the south gate (still to be built).

With Altenburg gone, the south gate is a rather nice entrance to the city but one can only go up Kendrastrasse to the Platz. The old Altenburg wall blocks the way to Gwynethstrasse and Talenstrasse.

It's my feeling that in the real world, the inhabitants of such a city would have put at least a doorway in the wall there instead of making visitors traverse half the city to get to the other side of it.

This *could* be seen as a formal extension of Gwynethstrasse to the south gate, but it would involve appropriation of a narrow strip of land there, so my feeling is the less land the better.

My proposal is to make it more interesting (and more realistic), and simply put a small break in the old Altenburg wall there and a narrow twisty lane connecting the two areas.

=======
insert clever signature here
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Its a great idea:).

But... I've been beating up this forum, and losing, for the last few hours trying to get an image file somehow attached to a post, either with IMG tags or URL tags.

Its basically a map I've started to prepare, based on Sky's output, with overlays of parcel names, street names, and other info. Its in pretty rough form right now.

But one of the purposes of posting the map at this time is to display the public and private areas which I'm proposing for re-development. Broadly speaking, the two areas are the Platz and the Altenburg area. Vacancies in both those areas now provide us with a unique opportunity to rethink and reorganize the arrangement of public and private space.

Certainly, the extension of Gwynethstrasse to the South Gate might be a very feasible part of this re-arrangement.

I don't have the proposal assembled yet. The intent of the thread was to display the areas under consideration, and get a discussion going.

No current privately owned parcels would be affected.

So, stand by while we try and persuade the BB techies to coax some cooperation out of our new forum :)... We'll get it posted soon.

Sudane

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Claude Desmoulins »

It looks like, unlike the vBulletin system that the SL forums uses, phpBB cannot store images in the database. It can only link to images already available somewhere on the web.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Yes, phpBB seems to be a bit limited in that respect, although there are a lot of "user mods" that could be downloaded in order to achieve that feature. I usually avoid the "user mods" because they're not easily patcheable when tehre is a new upgrade to phpBB.

But links work well. Just use them this way:

[quote:17dru45u][img:17dru45u]http://my%20link%20to%20an%20image/[/img:17dru45u][/quote:17dru45u]

Here is an example:

[img:17dru45u]http://neualtenburg.info/images/neualte ... ofarms.png[/img:17dru45u]

I suggest doing the upload to [url=http://www.flickr.com:17dru45u]Flickr[/url:17dru45u] and then posting the link as on the example above...

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Dianne
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Dianne »

I prefer this style anyway as it's a bit more secure. Image uploads sometimes tends to keep a record of the full path to the hard drive where the image was uploaded and that is a bit of a privacy violation. Unfortunately for me I have no image hosting service so I might not be adding pictures for a while.

=======
Jonty Peel
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Jonty Peel »

I have visited many medieval walled towns and cities in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain.

One of the enjoyable experiences, is arriving outside the city walls at a railway station, coach or car park and entering the city via a defensive gateway, then exploring the place street by street and finally arriving at a large open area at the heart of the city.

In SL we can usually teleport to an exact spot in world and can easily fly over walls, but would it be practicable/desirable to move the teleport to a site just outside the city, say near the south gate and encourage visitors to enter the city from outside the walls. Even flying over the walls might give them a better idea of the walled city, than arriving instantaneously in the market place.

JP

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Trolley?

Post by Pelanor Eldrich »

I did notice what looks like a slot or groove in the walkways around town. Is this a track for a future trolley? That would be cool.

Pelanor Eldrich
Principal - Eldrich Financial
Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

[quote="Jonty Peel":1grvazv8]would it be practicable/desirable to move the teleport to a site just outside the city, say near the south gate and encourage visitors to enter the city from outside the walls. Even flying over the walls might give them a better idea of the walled city, than arriving instantaneously in the market place.

JP[/quote:1grvazv8]

I imagine those getting ready to pay big $L for commercial spaces on the platz don't like this idea particularly. I wonder if you could use a scripted object (there are apparently rideable horses in SL) Could one rez at a telehub outside the south gate and have the option to ride a scripted horse to the platz from there.

I had imagined a similar system of scripted horses providing express service between the Platz and the Colonia Nova forum.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

A scripted object, or - since we ARE a virtual world - a simple teleporter. If that doesn't break kayfabe too badly.

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

I guess I preferred the verisimilitude of an object that moved to a straight teleporter, but I understand the greatly increased complexity that would be involved.

Dianne
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Dianne »

Anyone who has stood outside the south gate and looked through into what used to be Altenburg can see how great it would be to have a real city entrance there. It was obviously intended as such although never used.

It would be nice to have two TP spots.

Maybe if you picked the sim as just a place to visit, you would arrive outside the south gate, but if you picked a store off of the find you would arrive in the Platz? (if that is possible).

I think we need to be [b:2cpn3cd1]really really careful here[/b:2cpn3cd1] (speaking as one of the few present Platz merchants).

Business in Nburg has always been... well "difficult" is the most polite way to put it. :D

I could have done twice or three times the business if I had not chosen to locate my store in Nburg. I did that on purpose because I wanted to support and grow the location.

We should really be thinking of ways to [b:2cpn3cd1]attract[/b:2cpn3cd1] business to Nburg not put up any more barriers!

A more radical suggestion might be to re-locate the entire business district to the old Altenburg site (I know huge problems, tons of work etc.), then the TP could be outside the south gate, but once through the doors the visitors would be right in the commercial district.

=======
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

I don't know how much work that would be... seems to me just a matter of moving the buildings and re-dividing plots. Work, yes, but not necessarily the most onerous.

Return to “Sim and City Planning”