NFS East?

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

NFS East?

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

In another thread, people have rightly questioned whether a sim every six months is a reasonable goal. But there does seem to be a willingness to consider one or more sims in the next year. (And building one, before we commit to a new one every six months would probably be sensible in any event).

So, here's a proposal for discussion. Let's build NFS East this term.

We could use the"In-Theme Expansion Act"to do this. The first step is for the RA to lay down some broad guidelines regarding:

"(i) the rough number of plots (ii) the range of sizes of plots (iii) price and affordability (iv) single/double prim (v) rough balance between public, private and commercial land (vi) any specific public builds e.g. the ampitheatre (vii) any other infrastructure that can serve the interest of the community and territory."

The next step is a bit more tricky as it requires the RA to commission a plan from the New Guild and I understand we do not have a NG Secretary at the moment. It is possible that discussion of new sim might encourage someone to step forward and volunteer to take on the role. But, if that doesn't happen, I suggest we adapt the legislation to allow for groups of citizens to work together and bring forward their own ideas for how NFS East could be built. The RA could then pick the best idea (or ideas) and commission a group of people to lead the work and seek involvement from other citizens.

What do you think folks? Time to expand?

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: NFS East?

Post by Beathan »

I would like to see us build an early nineteenth century university themed sim -- the University of Neufreistadt -- based on the Humboldtian model and the Prussian University of Berlin, with public buildings provided for educational activities and groups. Housing could be modeled on historic student and professor housing. I think that this is consistent with Pat's idea of an "in-theme expansion" (which I also support) and provides guidance for the nature of specific public builds while providing balanced affordability. The build might limit the number of commercial lots, but I think that commercial lots have been our least successful. We should consider limiting or omitting them in future builds, at least until and unless commercial activity is shown to be a viable use. If and when commercial viability is shown to be viable, we should (perhaps) have a dedicated commercial sim. I think that the mixed use development model we have used in sim expansion has not worn well.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
josjoha
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by josjoha »

hi,

There was an earlier discussion on that, where I had proposed this sim design:
http://www.law4.org/sl/sim1/planning.html

(I have no problem with the design Beathan proposes, although it would not have this teaching element. Speaking of universities ..............)

best regards,
josjoha

www.law4.org Constitution & Revolution, live happy ever after ...
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

I'd like to propose the following changes to the "In-Theme Expansion Act" to accommodate the current situation where we have no New Guild Secretary. It also allows us to cast the net wider and invite contributions from any group of citizens who might want to help build a new sim whether they are part of the New Guild or not. I would like to discuss this at the next RA meeting on 10 December along with the proposal below for getting the ball rolling on a new sim.

Phase I: PREPARATION

In this phase the RA would decide where the new sim(s) would be built in the overall regional masterplan. The RA would commission the New Guild (or invite contributions from citizens) to produce a rough plan for the new sim(s) following broad guidelines laid down by the RA for (i) the rough number of plots (ii) the range of sizes of plots (iii) price and affordability (iv) single/double prim (v) rough balance between public, private and commercial land (vi) any specific public builds e.g. the ampitheatre (vii) any other infrastructure that can serve the interest of the community and territory.

The New Guild (or contributors) would produce a draft plan, model, budget for construction and guide prices for plot purchase and monthly tier.

These materials would then be used for market research. The Executive Branch would use the materials to gauge whether there was enough interest in the new sim in the CDS and the rest of Second Life to warrant proceeding to the next phase and submit its report to the RA.

Phase II: PURCHASE

On the basis of the report from the Executive, the RA would decide whether to continue with the project or not. Assuming that the RA decides there is sufficient interest to build the new sim(s), the RA would agree any final adjustments to the plan, authorise the Estate Owner to purchase the new sim(s) and commission the New Guild (or other group of citizens) to carry out the work. It is at this point that any questions about payment for services rendered, intellectual property rights to work carried out for the CDS etc would be resolved i.e. before work begins. Advance orders for plots would be made available to CDS citizens.

Phase III: BUILDING & PROMOTION

During this phase the sim would be terraformed, roads laid out and any public or private buildings built. Alongside the building work, the new sim would be promoted by the Public Information Officer (or Chancellor if no PIO has been appointed) within the CDS and without with lots being made available for reservation by advance purchase.

Phase IV: ESTABLISHMENT

The new sim(s) will be formally opened by the Chancellor once building work has been completed, allowing new residents to move in and establish their homes.

3. The RA is responsible for setting the budget, timescale and milestones in the process. Where necessary this will involve discussion with the New Guild (or group of builders) and the Executive Branch. Project management will take place within the New Guild (or whichever group is building the new sim). The New Guild (or group of builders) may invite the Chancellor to resolve any issues that it is unable to in order to maintain progress provided these decisions do not conflict with the guidelines laid down by the RA.

My 'strawman' proposal to get the ball rolling is:

(i) the rough number of plots. Same number as NFS.
    (ii) the range of sizes of plots. Same ranges as in NFS i.e. from v small fachwerk to larger properties.
    (iii) price and affordability. Similar price range to NFS, possibly a bit higher to reflect better sim performance and item (iv) below.
    (iv) single/double prim. Double prim, so the smaller fachwerk have prims left over for decorating.
    (v) rough balance between public, private and commercial land. 20% public, 75% private, 5% commercial (perhaps for a New Cabaret?)
    (vi) any specific public builds e.g. the ampitheatre. Several ideas presented already but the commission could be left relatively wide e.g. "A major public build of a type not yet seen in the CDS. This could be a CDS historical museum, University or some other major public build".
    (vii) any other infrastructure that can serve the interest of the community and territory. Expansion/addition to the Schloss?

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

The R A discussed this proposal at its meeting on 10 December. The RA decided to set up a commission to get more citizen input on which sim we should build next with Rosie Gray as chair. The commission will work with the New Guild on the outcomes from the commission. Many at the meeting expressed the hope that the New Guild be reestablished quickly and Trebor said he would call a meeting to make ths happen.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

As mentioned previously, Rosie will be chairing a Commission to invite ideas for a new sim in the New Year. In the meantime I want to present some more reasons why I think building an extension of Neufreistadt to the East of the current sim would be a good idea.

• 1. The Bavarian NFS theme has been consistently popular. The small plots inside the city walls with traditional 'fachwerk' dwellings create a unique, dense urban build. These plots sell very quickly when they become free. Similarly, the valley plots provide a bit more space and seem to quite popular. If we had a similar mix for a new sim, and used more modern building techniques to save prims, then we could be pretty confident these would be popular.

2. It's an opportunity to renovate NFS, our oldest sim. Building techniques have moved on a lot since NFS was built. We now have megaprims, sculpties and even mesh to help reduce the prim load in designing a new sim. We could use what we learn in developing a new NFS East to improve NFS too. We will need to extend the city walls, let's take the opportunity to reduce the number of prims used for the existing walls. Rosie's new church looks fantastic on the platz, let's consider renovating some of our other iconic public buildings.

3. It's an opportunity to bring in a lot of new, land-owning citizens. The dense urban build of NFS, if extended, would mean we could bring in more new citizens than, for example, a more rural sim such as Alpine Meadow or the Monastery. (We should have more of these type of sims too but not, perhaps, right now).

These are a few reasons, I'm sure I could think of others!

Now, I haven't closed my mind to the possibility that the next sim will be something else. If someone comes up with an even better idea than NFS East I'd be happy to consider it. But, thinking about where we are as a community right now, extending NFS looks like our most sensible next move.

Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

I have several personal preferences for an expansion as well.

I think my first would be for NFS East.

I do agree with Pat, the Bavarian NFS theme has always been popular and well rented. It is also rather unique in SL and our mountains are higher and better than any I have seen elsewhere. There was a short time in my first term as chancellor when lots in NFS came open. But they were quickly sold.

Also, the mix of small fachwerk and larger plots provides room for many new citizens.

I also agree with pat that we can take this opportunity to renovate NFS. Many prims can be saved. I am told that prims do not necessarily cause lag. Certainly the number of textures cause lag especially to new arrivals. I think some work to reduce prims all over the sims has begun, albeit in a limited manner. Rosie compiled a good list of areas that need renovation, many of them are in NFS. Some can be quickly done, especially the clock tower and perhaps the long bridge. The upgrade list should be studied and provide a good blueprint for discussion and action.

The link to the Sim Update List is at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sND ... y=CL3V1v4D

Rebuilding of the Schloss a must if we expand NFS. This issue has bounced around the sims long before I came to CDS two years ago. I wager it has been an issue almost as soon as it was built as I believe there was some effort to expand it or renovate part of it after Kendra left the sim. This needs to be discussed along with any expansion of NFS East. I believe the prevalent opinion called for expanding the schloss onto the new sim with the intention of having a large ballroom and or event area straddling the two sims. I believe the intention was to ere up prims in NFS and provide a generally lag free event area.

The university is a good idea also. Perhaps we could partner with some group like Haven Helpers by offering them use of our classroom space in exchange for exposing new residents to our sims.

Expansion of the Roman Sims West of Locus Amoenus would be my other preference. I think this is more complicated however. IMO LA is an incomplete project. LA is in large part a maritime sim with a very nice harbor and long beach. Yet it has no water to its west. I believe that the GMP includes islands to the west of LA. These would provide LA with the proper focus and make it special. However, islands or sea to the west of LA require that we close up the mountain west of Monastery.
Perhaps this could be done with a sloping green mountain ending in high cliffs and beach. This might also afford the opportunity to build a mountain trail, not a road, up from the LA beach and into the new sim and Monastery sim. Both of these these sims could be homesteads with LA acting as the full sim hub of activity. Also, the islands would not necessarily be roman. They could be Mediterranean.

I am no sim planner, but I do think cliffs would be a way to close off the sides of our sims and also afford some public land to allow for pirms needed for a prim bonus and boats or landscaping. The cliffs could easily be terraformed again if future sims are added.

Naturally any expansion plan must be discussed by the RA, NG and citizens. We must be mindful of the market. Also, Roman themed sims, or at least as we present them, do not have a strong market appeal. Also, I have heard that many sims are having some trouble. For example we see that Sudane has had to reduce some holdings in SLNE. Still, as bad as the economy is, perhaps now is the time to lay the groundwork for an upswing in RL and SL fortunes. As far as theme is concerned, perhaps the many new residents, most of them in LA, show that CDS can sell Roman sims and make them fun.

Our current occupancy rate requires that we consider expansion with the hope that at least one new sim is brought online by the end of the current term. Probably it should be one that would allow for an aesthetic addition to the estate and one that is sufficiently marketable as to not be a significant drain on the estate should conditions sour unexpectedly.

Citizen
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Tor,

I would rather dedicate an entire sim to construction of the university. Therefore, it makes sense to hold that idea in abeyance this time while we expand NFS proper on Pat's design. I hope that we will enter a growth cycle justifying construction of several more sims, and hope the the University of Neufreistadt could be one of those sims.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Mountains

Post by Sonja Strom »

Tor Karlsvalt wrote:

I do agree with Pat, the Bavarian NFS theme has always been popular and well rented. It is also rather unique in SL and our mountains are higher and better than any I have seen elsewhere.

Expansion of the CDS in the direction of NFS-East can be a very good idea. Since its beginning Neufreistadt has been popular, and I support its expansion.

At the same time, I find the concept that "our mountains are higher and better than any I have seen elsewhere" to be a misguided reason for doing it. For one thing, there are not any mountains at all going upward above Neufreistadt. In RL mountains do not go down below cities, they go up above them. For years I worked hard to get at least a plan going in this direction somewhere around NFS, but it never happened. By 2009 I was very frustrated with how this effort was going nowhere, as can be found in the forums and transcripts during that time, and as anyone who knew me at that time can attest. Instead of "drowning my frustrations," I decided it would be better for me to move forward and work on this where I could. In August of 2009 I founded the Swiss-style Alpine village of Arosa SL as a friendly extension of the CDS concept, maybe even to be a CDS Franchulate. Originally this was an idea of Pelanor Eldrich.
The mountains above the village of Arosa can be seen in the first video under "Winter Holiday Party 2011" on the Arosa blog here: http://arosasl.wordpress.com
There is a large variety of winter sports in Arosa, including skiing. From the top of the mountain you can ski on down into the village.
If you would like to visit Arosa in Second Life, here is a SLURL for it: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Arosa/50/7/125

Arosa SL is not the only place in Second Life with mountains. One other place I am very familiar with (also friendly with Arosa) is Meisterbastler-Kreis. Here is a SLURL for its mountains: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Zollberg/75/166/71

There are also other mountains in SL. If you would like, I can continue to describe more of them.

There are two reasons why I am addressing this topic. One reason is, to correct a misconception - to say that the CDS already has higher and better mountains than anywhere else in SL simply does not reflect the reality of this virtual world within which we live. Maybe the CDS could get such mountains. The Second Life world is by far large enough to have several areas of mountains, and the CDS could be included among them. At this time I am personally focusing my "mountain" efforts on Arosa, not on Neufreistadt, but if the CDS wants to have mountains go higher than the city then I will be happy to help with such a project. The other reason for me to bring up this topic is, to make a suggestion that an expansion of NFS should not be so much focused on the "mountains" of the CDS (however far below the city they go), but on the historic city itself. An expanded "Schule" or university and a rebuilt "Schloss" are examples of the type of expansion I see as especially valuable for the city of Neufreistadt.

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Mountains

Post by Bromo Ivory »

[quote="Sonja Strom"
At the same time, I find the concept that "our mountains are higher and better than any I have seen elsewhere" to be a misguided reason for doing it. For one thing, there are not any mountains at all going upward above Neufreistadt. In RL mountains do not go down below cities, they go up above them. For years I worked hard to get at least a plan going in this direction somewhere around NFS, but it never happened. [/quote]

I am wondering if we could get a beyond SIM high mountaintop in place for NFS? I know next to nothing about this sort of thing, but I have seen a SIM or two that do this to good effect. No skiing, of course, but it could stop the cliff like drop to the water?

There are two reasons why I am addressing this topic. One reason is, to correct a misconception - to say that the CDS already has higher and better mountains than anywhere else in SL simply does not reflect the reality of this virtual world within which we live. Maybe the CDS could get such mountains. The Second Life world is by far large enough to have several areas of mountains, and the CDS could be included among them. At this time I am personally focusing my "mountain" efforts on Arosa, not on Neufreistadt, but if the CDS wants to have mountains go higher than the city then I will be happy to help with such a project. The other reason for me to bring up this topic is, to make a suggestion that an expansion of NFS should not be so much focused on the "mountains" of the CDS (however far below the city they go), but on the historic city itself. An expanded "Schule" or university and a rebuilt "Schloss" are examples of the type of expansion I see as especially valuable for the city of Neufreistadt.

Very much agree!

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Return to “Sim and City Planning”