Request for Proposals - LA Quayside Refresh

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Request for Proposals - LA Quayside Refresh

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

The recent consultation and meeting on Locus Amoenus infrastructure upgrades showed strong support for refreshing the infrastructure around the Quayside. This is a request for proposals from individuals or groups (CDS citizens or non-citizens) to carry out the work.

If you would like to submit a proposal please do so by notecard or via email to me at first name dot surname at gmail dot com by noon SLT on Tuesday 7 April.

Project Description
This is a relatively small infrastructure upgrade project. It involves refreshing the textures, prims and infrastructure around the LA Quayside. The aim will be to have a consistent, coherent look which fits the covenant and provides a focal point for the region. There should be space for CDS signs and information (like the landing points in Neufreistadt and Colonia Nova) and inviting, informal seating which encourage people to hang out socially.

The project covers the texturing (some people have said the textures currently in use do not fit well together), infrastructure and general beautification. It does not include making any changes to the bridge, the fishing village builds, the houseboat plots or the shops along the front of the quayside.

Proposal Description
Your proposal should include the following:

• Name(s) of all builders
    Price (CDS infrastructure has often been built by citizens at a nominal cost. All bids will be considered but bear in mind that some may be offering to do this work for a token payment of a few Linden Dollars)
    Brief Description of your proposal including when you can get started and estimated duration.

It would be helpful to include any textures you think you might use or sketches of how you imagine the redevelopment looking like afterwards but this is not essential.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Request for Proposals - LA Quayside Refresh

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I put this proposal out in order to open up the process by which we make changes to CDS infrastructure. I believe that everyone who has the ability should have the opportunity to contribute in this way. I don't believe that there should be an automatic assumption that the current incarnation of "The Artisan's Guild" - for example - should be handed these kind of opportunities, especially as the current Guild is an NGO and therefore entirely independent from the government. There are many skilled builders in the CDS and, while many of them are in the Guild, there are those who are not. I also believe that people who are not CDS citizens should have the option of contributing in this way.

This was an experiment but I'm not disheartened by its failure. We should be prepared to try new things and fail often if we are to find better ways of doing things. And we have not really lost anything in the process.

What I will do next is invite the Land Use Commission to take this project, and a number of others, forward in line with the recently passed law. This states "Upon a request from the RA or the Chancellor, the Land Use Commission shall call for bids for either the planning and/or the construction of Public works, either new, or for maintenance, to be awarded on a competitive basis."

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Return to “Sim and City Planning”