Locus Amoenus Upgrades

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Locus Amoenus Upgrades

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

This thread is to gather public input on some proposals to upgrade the visual environment in Locus Amoenus. I'd like comments by midnight Monday 23 February. I'll hold a public meeting to discuss these proposals on:

Proposals:

• 1. Redevelop the Quayside.
    Make this an attractive focal point for the region. Add some informal seating for people to hang out and repair the textures so they are more realistic and attractive.

2. Remove the Colonnades
    Take away the colonnades, reset the fishing village builds to the new ground level. Create some interesting public spaces for people to hang out. Maybe dress the area with some actual fishing boats and paraphernalia.

3. Transform the Umbilicus Mundus into a Tuscan tower
    Remove the Temple that sits in the middle of the region and blocks part of the harbour. Retain the capsule containing the artefacts from the inauguration of the region within a new Tuscan tower. Include a historical exhibition within the tower about the origins of the Locus Amoenus region. Dress the interior with marble reclaimed from the Temple.

4. Commission new alternative prefabs for the Fishing Village plots
    We have prefabs (including alternates) for most of the parcels in the Fishing Village. Under this proposal, we would commission at least three options for each plot so new residents can make their own choice.

I'd like to know:
* what do you agree with?
* what do you disagree with?
* what's missing?

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Locus Amoenus Upgrades

Post by Rosie Gray »

Patroklus Murakami wrote:

Proposals:

• 1. Redevelop the Quayside.
    Make this an attractive focal point for the region. Add some informal seating for people to hang out and repair the textures so they are more realistic and attractive.

2. Remove the Colonnades
    Take away the colonnades, reset the fishing village builds to the new ground level. Create some interesting public spaces for people to hang out. Maybe dress the area with some actual fishing boats and paraphernalia.

3. Transform the Umbilicus Mundus into a Tuscan tower
    Remove the Temple that sits in the middle of the region and blocks part of the harbour. Retain the capsule containing the artefacts from the inauguration of the region within a new Tuscan tower. Include a historical exhibition within the tower about the origins of the Locus Amoenus region. Dress the interior with marble reclaimed from the Temple.

4. Commission new alternative prefabs for the Fishing Village plots
    We have prefabs (including alternates) for most of the parcels in the Fishing Village. Under this proposal, we would commission at least three options for each plot so new residents can make their own choice.

Yes to all, except for #3 - just not sure a tower in the middle of the water is the best solution, so I would suggest a bit more research on that. Perhaps more of a ruin would be appropriate for a fishing village bay area.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

Like Rosie, I'm in full agreement with 1,2 & 4. Not sure about 3 at all. Btw, Pat, the link you provided in the General Discussions links to a page where I'm no longer logged in.

Coop
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Coop »

I agree with the 4 points made earlier, to include...

1) Rezpoint in the water for smallcraft. You have water, and I can't rezz my pirogue.

2) Modernize. Make sure and mandate that new build techniques are used. No sculpts. Mesh. Materials. Replace multiple small prims with large prims where possible. Update, renew, and replace textures as needed.

I now lay down the command of my legions and retire to private life. Marcus Licinius Crassus
Josie Fotherington
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Josie Fotherington »

Questions:

When LA was initially planned, what was the intended theme of the sim? Was it "Tuscan fishing village"?

Why was the theme chosen? Was it meant to be a counterpoint to Colonia Nova? What I mean by that is that CN is the Roman city. Was LA supposed to be Roman/Italian small town/rural?

CN's look and feel place it in the past. Roman times. Was LA meant to be set in the same time frame? Or was it meant to be a 21st Century Tuscan fishing village? Or was it meant to be timeless, not necessarily associated with any time frame?

Opinion:

I'd get rid of the Umbilicus whatever and not replace it with anything in order to open up the harbor. Right now it's just this thing sitting there with no way to walk to it and it blocks the view of the water.

“And this also," said Marlow suddenly, "has been one of the dark places of the earth.”
― Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Transcript of public meeting:

Patroklus Murakami: so... let's begin!
Lilith Ivory: Hi Vic
Patroklus Murakami: hi vic
Delia Lake: hi Vic
Victor1st Mornington: ello
Patroklus Murakami: please note this meeting is being recorded and the transcript will be posted on the CDS forums
Patroklus Murakami: so the reason for getting ppl together is to discuss some LA upgrades
Patroklus Murakami: these were posted on the forums and outlined in the notecard in the note giver
Patroklus Murakami: i had intended the LUC to do a thorough review first but...
Patroklus Murakami: the feedback i got was 'just get on with it'
Patroklus Murakami: so these ideas are about things we can do quickly and only relate to LA
Delia Lake: yes
Patroklus Murakami: i suggest we take the proposals in order
Widget Whiteberry nods
Patroklus Murakami: so...1) redevelop this quayside. any views?
Patroklus Murakami: oh... btw
Josephine Fotherington: I actually have some questions.
Patroklus Murakami: i intend to keep this to an hour if possible :)
Josephine Fotherington: I posted them in the forum but I could paste them in here.
Patroklus Murakami: sorry, go ahead josie
Josephine Fotherington: When did LA "land"? What year?
Josephine Fotherington: and there goes Lilith!
Patroklus Murakami: a while ago josie. maybe 2008?
Josephine Fotherington: ok - when LA was initially planned, what was the intended theme of the sim? Was it "Tuscan fishing village"?
Patroklus Murakami: no
Patroklus Murakami: it was originally intended as a roman sim. an extension of colonia nova in a way
Josephine Fotherington: Ah ha - ok - and that sort of evolved? Why?
Delia Lake: it was mediiterranean but not tuscan
Patroklus Murakami: the tuscan rebuild came later when it was clear that roman was not selling well
Josephine Fotherington nods - makes sense
Delia Lake: tuscan was voted on a couple of years ago now
Free Radar HUD v1.1 by Crystal Gadgets
Delia Lake: a couple of years soon
Josephine Fotherington: Is LA meant to be set in the same time frame as CN? Or was it meant to be a 21st Century Tuscan fishing village? Or was it meant to be timeless, not necessarily associated with any time frame?
Patroklus Murakami: we debated redeveloping LA for several years and were held up by hysterics over the merest risk that someone's parcel line might possibly be redrawn. or not
Josephine Fotherington: (that question is my last one :-) )
Patroklus Murakami: from the covenant: "Building style that is consistent with those of rural, timeless, pre-modern Tuscany; from post-Roman (this means Roman builds can exist, but would be ?old? rather than new) up to and including pre-WW1 (1914)."
Josephine Fotherington: perfect - ty!
Patroklus Murakami: so not 21st C. not even most of the 20thC
Lilith Ivory: (there is lots to read about the history of LA in our forums ;-)
Josephine Fotherington: I'll make Coop do that. :-)
Patroklus Murakami: so one issue that ppl have raised
Patroklus Murakami: is that this area is a bit dead
Patroklus Murakami: and not very inviting
Patroklus Murakami: apart from the bench delia is sitttin on
Patroklus Murakami: there isn't usually any seating or focal point here
Lilith Ivory: Hi Shep
Patroklus Murakami: do ppl agree we should redevelop this to make it more attractive?
Delia Lake: please do this and I volunteer to help with #1
Patroklus Murakami: thx delia :)
Lilith Ivory: I absolutely agree
Patroklus Murakami: other views?
Shep Titian: Hi everyone :)
Josephine Fotherington: Hi Shep :-)
Widget Whiteberry: I agree. Hi Shep
Shep Titian: Yes I agree too
Patroklus Murakami: i'm not sensing any major disagreement here :)
Patroklus Murakami: shall we move on to item 2) the colonnades?
Delia Lake: can we take out the colonnades right now please ? :))
Patroklus Murakami: these have done the hokey cokey (or pokey if you prefer)
Patroklus Murakami: bags put them in
Josephine Fotherington: I agree. I am not sure what the purpose of this space is. I see there is a land point but no defined hub. Setting the hub alone gives it purpose.
Patroklus Murakami: i took them out
Josephine Fotherington: *landing point
Patroklus Murakami: bags put them back
Delia Lake: ty!!
Patroklus Murakami: and we shook em all about
Shep Titian: LOL
Victor1st Mornington: bags put them in for one reason, to bring out the flaws of the foundation of the builds i made so she could get rid of them, then folks moved in and she couldnt....
Patroklus Murakami: do ppl want them to stay or go?
Delia Lake: they are awful and inappropriate
Shep Titian: Go
Josephine Fotherington: From everything I have seen everyone hates them.
Widget Whiteberry: go
Lilith Ivory: GO!
Patroklus Murakami: some ppl liked them.... apparently. i have yet to see anyone defend them redently though
Patroklus Murakami: *recently
Delia Lake: she then put equally inappropriate foundations on the buildings--- slab facades that could only have been done with mid 20th C technology
Lilith Ivory: those people might be gone now - I have not met one who liked the colonades
Patroklus Murakami: well. on the basis of this consultation so far... they go
Victor1st Mornington: thats what it used to look like
Delia Lake: the colonnades do not meet the covenant for this region
Widget Whiteberry: I suspect some people were defending Bags ofr one reason or another... but not the build itself
Patroklus Murakami: let's move on to item 3). this has provoked more debate
Widget Whiteberry: and even if they were.... times have changed
Patroklus Murakami: what should we do with the umbilicus mundus? the temple in the middle of the water. it's a hangover from the origianl LA but it has very deep significance for the region
Patroklus Murakami: *original
Delia Lake: I'll help with #2 also
Patroklus Murakami: thx delia :)
Patroklus Murakami: was anyone else here around when LA was consecrated?
Victor1st Mornington: as for three, i had a port tower already built, then the xigalias got in and the plan was ignored....
Delia Lake: last spring I had posted to google docs a picture of an actual tower in a tuscan fishing village cove
Patroklus Murakami: we had a ritual and everything!
Shep Titian: Before my time
Patroklus Murakami: i still have your tower vic :)
Josephine Fotherington: I'd move the umbilicus mundus to another location - right now it's in the water...with no way to get to it. And what purpose does it serve? In its current location?
Lilith Ivory: ah yes I was here
Lilith Ivory: the problem is we won?t be able to move the things citizens put inside
Delia Lake: yes I was. I have something in there but don't remember what it is
Lilith Ivory: anybody who is able to zoom inside should be able to see all the itmes
Delia Lake: I need to check. I've never looked since that day
Patroklus Murakami: for the benefit of those who werent' here... we had a ritual with priests and flying birds and so on. we all left an object from our home countries inside and dedicated teh build
Delia Lake: the tower in the picture I posted is stone and one that fits the setting here
Patroklus Murakami: somewhere in there is the secret name of the region :)
Lilith Ivory: we discussed the mundus during our rebuild disscussions and the majority wanted this historic place to stay if I remember right
Patroklus Murakami: shall we go look?
Lilith Ivory: (the items at least)
Patroklus Murakami: you can cam inside the base of the temple to see the objects still there
Josephine Fotherington: If it can't move, then I think something should be built around it so people can walk to it. That way it can be incorporated into the surrounding infrastructure.
Josephine Fotherington: I went and looked at it this morning.
Patroklus Murakami: i *love* that it has history. but it needs to be updated to fit the new theme
Lilith Ivory: maybe we can have a notecard giver explaining the purpose of this building to interested visitors
Josephine Fotherington: If it is a shrine, then make it a shrine where people can go sit, pray, relax, whatever.
Patroklus Murakami: so maybe connect it to the harbour in some way?
Josephine Fotherington: Rather than a disconnected build on a pillar in the middle of the harbour.
Patroklus Murakami: by a bridge?
Josephine Fotherington: It could be a bridge, it could become part of the quayside.
Josephine Fotherington: I think there are several ways it could be "attached".
Josephine Fotherington: I'd have to look at the parcels around it to see how much room there is for creating some sort of connection for it.
Patroklus Murakami: if we want to preserve the 'time capsule' part, that is below water. what is above could easily be changed
Josephine Fotherington cams over
Shep Titian: Soro and I have two water parcels
Victor1st Mornington: put a fort tower ontop of the time capsule, once the collonades are gone put in a wooden trellis dock connecting the tower to the quay
Lilith Ivory: Hi Garnet
Garnet Psaltery: Helllo folks - sorry just seen the notice
Shep Titian: I think if no extra obstruction of our view could be considered when planning
Delia Lake: hi Garnet
Patroklus Murakami: hi garnet. welcome. notecard is in the box and we are recording this :)
Patroklus Murakami: we are on item 3)
Garnet Psaltery: Thank you
Garnet Psaltery has indicated consent to be recorded.
Shep Titian: Hoi Garnet
Shep Titian: * Hi
Josephine Fotherington: In looking at it from above it would be simple to just extent the quay to it. Flat, no impeding of view and a connection to the UM.
Patroklus Murakami: so i think this one is a bit more tricky than the other ideas. maybe specify that we want to keep the historical aspects but update it in line with the new theme? and invite proposals?
Lilith Ivory: sounds like a good idea
Garnet Psaltery: Perhaps this question has already been asked, but why is there a Roman temple there, with banner?
Patroklus Murakami: haha. history garnet :)
Garnet Psaltery: Ahh :o)
Patroklus Murakami: it was originally a roman sim
Patroklus Murakami: we had a pagan ritual to inaugurate it. it was actually a lot of fun!
Lilith Ivory: I think there are some pictures of how LA looked before on the CDS flikr website if anybody is interested
Delia Lake: it was fun!

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Patroklus Murakami: the pictures from that are great. well worth looking at
Patroklus Murakami: so maybe we can discuss 4)? new prefabs for the fishing village
Patroklus Murakami: the idea was that we would have several options for each plot
Patroklus Murakami: but the previous admin opened up the fishing village for sale before everything was ready
Josephine Fotherington: Is the fishing village the SW corner of the sim? Across the water from here?
Patroklus Murakami: so we only have one or two for most parcels (and no prefab for one of them)
Delia Lake: the fishing village is supposed to be right here behind me
Garnet Psaltery: Yes
Josephine Fotherington: Oh!
Patroklus Murakami: it's the pink building right there josie
Patroklus Murakami: and the neighbouring plots
Garnet Psaltery: You wouldn't really know it :o)
Victor1st Mornington: the fishing villiage is the one that has a lot of my builds on
Patroklus Murakami: all F.XX
Josephine Fotherington: The colonnade threw me. ;-)
Patroklus Murakami: so. my proposal is to finish this off by commissioning new work. so we have at least three choices for each plot
Patroklus Murakami: what do you think?
Lilith Ivory: I think that?s a good idea
Victor1st Mornington: so one renter moves in, picks choice A, another renter moves on, picks choice B, and a thrid renter movesin next door, picks choice C, now we have a fishing villiage where the builds are not matched, dont look like each other and doesnt actually resemble the planned villiage it was based off of in the first place...
Patroklus Murakami: what would be the alternative vic?
Lilith Ivory: I was thinking three choices designed for each plot so they would match no matter what the renter chooses
Delia Lake: fyi, and out of order but I couldn't pull it up faster. the windmill tower in Orbetello can be found here. along with the nature preserve coastline. http://www.italia.it/en/travel-ideas/na ... tello.html
Josephine Fotherington: I think there should be a "palate" of textures. Textures all the builders would have to use.
Victor1st Mornington: there is only so much you can do with a redesign of an actual tuscan fishing home... they are a simple box design with a blacony...
Victor1st Mornington: *balcony
Patroklus Murakami: thx delia. food for thought!
Victor1st Mornington: http://www.visitsitaly.com/tours/walkin ... _terre.jpg see what i mean?
Josephine Fotherington: It could be done if we set specific parameters. Meaning 1. Build must be between X m. and X m. 2. Build must be under 30 prims 3. Build textures must be from approved textures.
Victor1st Mornington: they are essentially all the same design along the entire rows
Widget Whiteberry: I like the tetxure palate idea and also three choices designed for each plot so they would match no matter what the renter chooses
Josephine Fotherington: You'd be surprised how creative people can be, even within fairly strict parameters.
Shep Titian: Yes that's the idea Vic
Patroklus Murakami: i think the builds vic and cadence made really did fit the bill
Josephine Fotherington: And actually the stricter the parameters, you get very innovative results.
Patroklus Murakami: we had quite strict guidelines as i recall. i'll look for them
Widget Whiteberry: useful for people who want it to have some creative input. The palate and choices do that
Josephine Fotherington: Yes, Vic is right in that they are all basically boxes.
Shep Titian: There was talk in the designing phases of us designating builds along here .. same as the fatchworks in NFS
Garnet Psaltery: The variation in the photo seems to be largely in roof heights
Victor1st Mornington: well if they fit the bill, and they are renting out, why do we need other builds...which will essentially look the same?
Victor1st Mornington: all your going to have presented is the same box builds...but maybe with a door in a different position :D
Delia Lake: agree with what Josie says re creativity
Josephine Fotherington: They might look the same, and they might not. That's where the creativity comes in.
Patroklus Murakami: well vic, we don't have any build that's appropriate for one of them
Patroklus Murakami: F.13 is currently empty for that reason
Victor1st Mornington: the thing is if they dont look the same then the entire theme of fishing villiage where there is a general cohesion is lost, ya may as well just rent out empty plots and let the renter buy their own building
Patroklus Murakami: F.12 only has one build that fits the plot
Josephine Fotherington: They will be cohesive if we define parameters for the design.
Patroklus Murakami: and i think the build on F.14 is the only built for that lot
Josephine Fotherington: And use a set of textures that the builders must use.
Josephine Fotherington: Was there an initial goal of having 3 build options for each parcel?
Patroklus Murakami: i don't think we specified 3 josie. just that there should be a choice
Josephine Fotherington: ok
Patroklus Murakami: so far i'm hearing that there should be visual cohesion between the different plots
Patroklus Murakami: similar textures and design elements
Josephine Fotherington: question
Victor1st Mornington: each of the plots along the collonade set of builds had their own build parameters for each polot as well because the walls backed up against each other, i built all of those builds at the same time in situ... if other buildewrs come along they are gonna have to build off site, and if their walls and windows dont match up they are gonna have to start from scratch, those fishing villiage builds was all custom built to fit on the plot they was designed for
Josephine Fotherington: Do residents have to use the prefabs provided to them in the fishing village?
Patroklus Murakami: yes josie. that was the idea
Josephine Fotherington: Or are they allowed to build their own?
Josephine Fotherington nods - ok - so it's a requirement they use the estate-custom builds on those parcels.
Patroklus Murakami: prefabs only. a bit like inner city NFS were you have to have a fachwerk-type home
Shep Titian: we did say they had to be kept the same
Shep Titian: then Bags got in
Josephine Fotherington grins
Patroklus Murakami: it just feels to me that this bit of the fishing village was left unfinished
Patroklus Murakami: so i'd like to complete the work
Josephine Fotherington: Vic does make a good point in that the parcel shapes/layouts are funky.
Delia Lake: yes, and it was unfinished
Shep Titian: yes I think its a good idea
Delia Lake: still is unfinished
Patroklus Murakami: can i take this away to follow up with vic and cadence and develop the final proposal?
Garnet Psaltery: Can't Vic's builds be used to complete it, given they were built to fit?
Patroklus Murakami: (as they built most of the current homes)
Patroklus Murakami: i can only stay until 2 and just wanted to check.... is there anything missing? what else needs to be redeveloped in LA?
Patroklus Murakami: brb
Josephine Fotherington: This is just a question
Delia Lake: sorry you're having such connection problems, Lil
Josephine Fotherington: What's up with the different textures on the quays?
Victor1st Mornington: as for F13, when the fishing villiage was originally layed out, that plot didnt even exist, bags added it...so for a build to be made to fit there, the building next door would need to be remeshed to remove two windows and the shutters... you see what i mean by each build custom done for each plot?
Lilith Ivory: I was already planing to give building a house for F13 a try - with a setback so F12 does not need to be changed
Josephine Fotherington: I see three different textures on the quays.
Patroklus Murakami: i think that's one thing we want to fix josie :)
Josephine Fotherington: We are sitting on one. The fishing village had one and the area in front of Abby's shop has one.
Delia Lake: yes we need to fix the textures here
Josephine Fotherington: And the bridge is a 4th.
Josephine Fotherington: And the path across the way is a 5th.
Delia Lake: the prims are not set to share so they cannot be fixed. they will need to be replaced
Victor1st Mornington: dont get me started on the bridge... 2 weeks i spent building one, and bags and her cronies got in and wiped the plan....
Patroklus Murakami: i don't object to different textures per se. i just want them to work together better!
Josephine Fotherington: Some are cool tones, some are warm
Delia Lake: the textures here on the stone below are stretched so far as to be blurry
Delia Lake: they don't need to be all the same as most villages are built in stages in rl
Josephine Fotherington: Does anyone keep a folder of standard textures (like for roads) that can be given to residents?
Patroklus Murakami: we can make more of this area. it should be more welcoming
Delia Lake: but they need to be scaled appropriately and of good quality
Delia Lake: we do have some textures, yes but maybe not all of them. I think Sudane has this one below
Patroklus Murakami: we had standard textures for LA when this was a roman region josie. but not since
Josephine Fotherington: Several places I have lived provide the basic textures to residents. Roads. Terrain.
Widget Whiteberry: I have one that might be appropriate and can be shared. Who would I give it to? (Old Cobblestones)
Josephine Fotherington: Snowy roads and terrain if you have seasons.
Delia Lake: Sudane started keeping a file I think but that was before the most recent administration before Pat's
Widget Whiteberry nods
Lilith Ivory: the guild should have some too I guess
Delia Lake: that she stopped
Patroklus Murakami: well residents should not be fixing roads or terrain. we ahve those in archie's inventory currently
Josephine Fotherington: I mean for their parcels.
Josephine Fotherington: What if someone wants to make a sidewalk that matches?
Josephine Fotherington: Or they want to put in a mesh slope on the ground?
Widget Whiteberry: The Guildmainaining and providing a palate of textures is a fine idea
Patroklus Murakami: an estate manager can usually help with those kind of queries
Shep Titian: What's the situation about the waves someone has put in the harbour ... looks silly
Josephine Fotherington: Help as in passing them the textures?
Delia Lake: imo Archie should have all the textures and builds that are not easily available on the open market. things that are commercially available easily or that may change frequently Archie does not need to have
Delia Lake: I can fix the waves
Lilith Ivory: either that or finding out from whom to get the matching texture ;-)
Delia Lake: the beach needs to be reconfigured a little
Delia Lake: like it was before
Patroklus Murakami: what needs to change with the harbour? and the beach?
Shep Titian: Not on the beach Delia hun ... in the enclosed harbour on a water parcel .. I only saw them today camming so don't know whose yet
Lilith Ivory: I like the idea of having a rezing area for boats
Delia Lake: in the area by your houseboat, Shep?
Shep Titian: Soro would go for that
Garnet Psaltery: Oh I see them - on the other side of the water
Delia Lake: looking
Garnet Psaltery: They're JerryDon's
Josephine Fotherington: The waves in the harbour are JD's
Shep Titian: Across near Bells house
Shep Titian: Of course they are
Patroklus Murakami: i see them. that's a "file a report to exec" issue rather than a rebuilding LA issue
Garnet Psaltery: They're impossible
Patroklus Murakami: if you think they are out of place
Shep Titian: LOl
Josephine Fotherington: How about "right click, return". :-)
Widget Whiteberry: Pat, can you consider the report to Exec delivered?
Delia Lake: I'll help with that. those are sea waves. I may have some that would be appropriate for that kind of location. small lapping waves more like wake
Patroklus Murakami: remember this transcript is public. so... maybe not the best way to raise the issue? :-)
Patroklus Murakami: thx delia
Delia Lake: let me check and talk with people
Garnet Psaltery: They'd need to be matched along that side as well, not just ending abruptly
Patroklus Murakami: always good to suggest an alternative
Delia Lake: yes
Delia Lake: it would be fine to have small lapping waves there
Patroklus Murakami: what's up with the beach though? before i have to run...
Delia Lake: the beach needs only a little tweaking to be back to what a real beach looks like
Delia Lake: small indents and such
Patroklus Murakami: so what changed? and when?
Delia Lake: just like what happens with rl tide
Delia Lake: when Bagheera was making changes the beach got smoothed out like plastic
Delia Lake: not big changes just small tweaks
Josephine Fotherington: Did she bake the terrain?
Patroklus Murakami: ok. hadnt' noticed!
Delia Lake: since I did the beach originally I did notice
Josephine Fotherington: If you baked it and she didn't, you can just revert.
Delia Lake: with permission I'll make the tiny changes
Lilith Ivory: I was thinking only the EO can bake terrain?
Josephine Fotherington: Now that I think of it....
Josephine Fotherington: What Lilith said :-)
Delia Lake: the terrain is fine it's the terraforming that's a little off
Patroklus Murakami: let's discuss it offline delia. i'm sure we will be able to sort it
Lilith Ivory: but if Rudeen has baked it before Bags added the colonades this would be helpful I guess
Josephine Fotherington: God knows when it was baked, if ever. At least Delia knows what it was like.
Delia Lake: ok
Patroklus Murakami: and i'm afraid i need to go and call a close to the meeting!
Garnet Psaltery: Thank you, Pat
Patroklus Murakami: thx for coming and for providing your feedback

Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

That seemed a good hour. I'm looking forward to updates and some region improvements.
Edited to add: Having visited the Mundus object <http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/L ... 146/121/24> I wonder what the plan was. Perhaps we can have a ceremony, where we learn the significance of each object, memorialize the whole thing with text and photos and then say good bye to it.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Widget Whiteberry wrote:

That seemed a good hour. I'm looking forward to updates and some region improvements.
Edited to add: Having visited the Mundus object <http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/L ... 146/121/24> I wonder what the plan was. Perhaps we can have a ceremony, where we learn the significance of each object, memorialize the whole thing with text and photos and then say good bye to it.

That seems like a really sensible suggestion to me Widget, since all those objects under water take up quite a few public prims that could be put to far better use beautifying the sim where people can see and use things. I know there are a few people still around who have deep sentimental attachment to it though. Still, I think your suggestion could capture that and put images into a CDS museum. When we eventually get the new NFS E region in place, we might want to have some kind of ceremony for its landing too. I hope we keep in mind the long-term effects of whatever we do.

~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Rosie Gray wrote:

I know there are a few people still around who have deep sentimental attachment to it though.

I'm one of those with a deep sentimental attachment to it. The event was created, if I recall correctly, by Moon Adamant and Symo Kurka to express the cross-cultural quality of our community and its participation in the creation of the new sim... the opening ceremony was quite amazing and massively attended.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1134 ... 2124706353

But I don't think that sentimental attachment can stop changes. Many of us old-timers were very attached to the old Kirke in NFS, but when the time came to transition to something new, it was important to move on and do it. There's no question that NFS is the symbolic heart of the CDS, yet almost everything there has been changed. So I agree with Rosie and Widget... if the time has come to remove the Umbilicous, then let's document it thoroughly and move on.

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Josie Fotherington
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Josie Fotherington »

It is important to honor the past, and clearly the UM is very significant in CDS history. If there is a decision to remove it, I think there are several things we could do to honor it.

The most simple option would be to create a stone (or marble) on which is inscribed the names of all of the people who placed items in the UM at the original ceremony. That stone could be placed somewhere in LA, perhaps even on the current location of the UM.

There is a more complex option I think we should consider as all of the sims move towards renovation and that is a "museum". I don't mean a single museum building. I mean something quite large. Something that would be like a historic walkthrough that even includes builds (smaller ones) like the original fachwerks. Yes, I know we'd need to find space for it, but that might not be a challenge when the new sim arrives.

I am probably one of the most vocal citizens regarding sim renovations; however that does not mean I think the past should be eradicated. I've had several long term citizens attempt to bite my head off when I have brought up renovation ideas, which is really too bad, because if they'd let me finish my sentence they'd hear my desire to honor and include the past even while moving forward.

It can be done.

“And this also," said Marlow suddenly, "has been one of the dark places of the earth.”
― Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I like both of those ideas to memorialize important historical aspects of the CDS. A stone with the names of those at the original landing ceremony engraved would be very suitable, and some photos put into a museum, along with a notecard with details.

We do have some items like this already in the CDs; for instance, in the Kirche there is a display up in the attic showing the previous version of the Kirche, along with the inspiration for the one we have now, and there are notecards inside the display so if you want more details they are available. We started to do a kind of historical display of the founding mothers and fathers of the CDS which is located in the Schloss. It wasn't finished because it required a lot of research for the correct information - that would be a nice project for someone who enjoys researching. The infrastructure for it is already in place, and I'm sure either Sudane or I would be happy to finish it up if someone wanted to provide the information. (This is located in the hallway just off the ballroom beside the fireplace, that takes you downstairs.)

~ Tommy Douglas
Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

I should like to add that a small peninsula of land can jut out into the harbour to connect the Umbilicus Mundi or a Tuscan tower with the mainland fishing village. To do so, I think, is only natural — what sort of harbour would form a perfect rectangle like ours?

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)

Return to “Sim and City Planning”