Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Review of NL 5-7 Civil Service Act

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Review of NL 5-7 Civil Service Act

The RA has agreed to review NL 5-7 Civil Service Act on Oct 15 2018. Main objective is to insert the following text:

D. Transparent Region Development Guidelines (or something like that)

Permanent changes to public land, outside of the seasonal tree and ground texture changes and official CDS temporary structures for events, have to be announced in the forums and allow a comment period of 2 weeks, to make sure the interests of neighboring parcel owners are taken into account. Public spaces have to be developed in accordance with policy and changes need to be subject to public comment and review.

Background: this discussion stems from the goal to establish „estate manager guidelines regarding new installations that fall within currently occupied parcels without citizen-owner agreement“.
I want to note that there is a consensus that new installations within currently occupied parcels are simply not possible without citizen/owner agreement. But we found that even changes on public land could affect the neighbors or interested parties and want to make sure these citizens have a say in the development of a region.

This time we took the approach to draft a text first and try to find the right place for it afterwards. Another option we briefly discussed was placing that text into every covenant, but at the moment we found it would fit better in NL 5-7, simply because those changes are supposed to be made by Civil Servants, that is citizens with rezzing/derezzing and landscaping rights on public land or with access to the Community Alts Archie and Rudeen under the supervision of the Chancellor. (Another benefit of that rule would be that the Chancellor gets to know what his flea circus is actually doing via forum, lol)
We could have a stand alone law on this as well, but so far no one uttered the desire to make it so.

While we picked NL 5-7 to place the text there we found that this law urgently needs some updates.
Let me post the text of this law as it is right now here for further discussion:

NL 5-7 Civil Service Act

A. Objective
To allow for the appointment of individuals to carry out the actions of the Neufreistadt-CDS governing bodies. Civil servants will carry out the tasks currently done by the Artisan Branch.

B. Civil Service Positions and Members
Civil service positions are established by legislative action by the RA and appointed civil servants may receive compensation provided by the Neufreistadt-CDS budget. Legislation will describe the position and duties but will not specify the individual that will fill that role.
Civil service members are appointed by the Executive Branch to fill a specific position established by law and serve for a term defined by that law.
The Executive Branch may dismiss a cilvil servant for not executing the duties described in this bill. Any dismissed civil servant may appeal a dismissal with the Scientific Council.

C. Civil Service Duties
Civil servants pledge to faithfully protect the constitution and to execute legislation passed by the RA at the direction of the Executive Branch.
1. Civil servants are required to execute regulations and directives where these do not conflict with laws passed by the RA, and to follow guidelines or oversight provided by the Executive Branch.
2. If a civil servant finds a discrepancy between an regulation or directive and laws passed by the RA which cannot be resolved in discussion with the Executive Branch they are required to ask for clarification from the Scientific Council.
3. Where there are no relevant regulations or directives, civil servants are required to execute RA laws to the best of their ability.
4. Civil servants are required to provide full and accurate information about their activities and the state of land, Neufreistadt-CDS organization, assets, and finances to the Executive Branch and the RA as requested.
5. Civil servants are expected to propose and participate in drafting regulations and directives for consideration by the Executive Branch.

passed 16 September 2006

I will leave it at that for the moment to allow for citizen’s and Assembly Member’s input. Thank you.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Review of NL 5-7 Civil Service Act

Post by Rosie Gray »

I will take a stab at updating what is already there, with obvious (at least to me) bits:

NL 5-7 Civil Service Act

A. Objective
To allow for the appointment of individuals to carry out the actions of the Neufreistadt-CDSCDS governing bodies. Civil servants will carry out the tasks currently done by the Artisan Branch.

B. Civil Service Positions and Members
Civil service positions are established by legislative action by the RA and appointed civil servants may receive compensation provided by the Neufreistadt-Chancellor's RA-approved budget. Legislation will describe the position and duties but will not specify the individual that will fill that role.
Civil service members are appointed by the Executive Branch to fill a specific position established by law and serve for a term defined by that law.
The Executive Branch may dismiss a civil servant for not executing the duties described in this bill. Any dismissed civil servant may appeal a dismissal with the Scientific Council.

C. Civil Service Duties
Civil servants pledge to faithfully protect the constitution and to execute legislation passed by the RA at the direction of the Executive Branch.
1. Civil servants are required to execute regulations and directives where these do not conflict with laws passed by the RA, and to follow guidelines or oversight provided by the Executive Branch.
2. If a civil servant finds a discrepancy between a regulation or directive and laws passed by the RA which cannot be resolved in discussion with the Executive Branch they are required to ask for clarification from the Scientific Council.
3. Where there are no relevant regulations or directives, civil servants are required to execute RA laws to the best of their ability.
4. Civil servants are required to provide full and accurate information about their activities and the state of land, Neufreistadt-CDSCDS organization, assets, and finances to the Executive Branch and the RA as requested.
5. Civil servants are expected to propose and participate in drafting regulations and directives for consideration by the Executive Branch.

D. Transparent Region Development Guidelines

Permanent changes to public land, outside of the seasonal tree and ground texture changes and official CDS temporary structures for events, have to be announced in the forums and allow a comment period of 2 weeks, to make sure the interests of neighboring parcel owners are taken into account. Public spaces have to be developed in accordance with policy and changes need to be subject to public comment and review.

passed 16 September 2006

Amended by the 29th RA, November 5, 2018 <--- or whenever it is passed

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Review of NL 5-7 Civil Service Act

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Thank you so much, Rosie! The reformulation was going to become the reinvention of the wheel in my poor, psychosis-haunted brain. So I am very happy you cut the knot. Looks good to me!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren

Return to “Legislative Discussion”