Bill proposal for discussion: Land Verwaltung Group Act

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Bill proposal for discussion: Land Verwaltung Group Act

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

This is the second bill proposed by the CDS/LV Groups Discussion Commission for approval by the RA. Again, I thank all participants and the reviewers of the final text for their participation and work!

The full text of this act, as well as some comments leading to it, can also be viewed at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZCE ... 9YEC4WrAQ/

Land Verwaltung Group Act

Preamble

Historically, the Land Verwaltung Group was created mostly to preserve the buildings and spaces which are common property of all citizens of the CDS, i.e., public land and public buildings. However, the CDS grew, and with time, this group was adapted to fit different purposes. Currently, it is felt that, since all citizens contribute towards public land, all should have equal and fair access to it, and not limit public land to a privilege enjoyed by a selected few. This is a change of purpose of this group, which introduces new possibilities but also requires some strict rules to prevent abuse.

Therefore, the Representative Assembly decrees:

1. Access to the Land Verwaltung (LV) Group shall be open to all citizens, who shall be placed in a role to allow rezzing of prims on public land.

2. A special commission shall be formed, mandated to identify ‘public rezzing areas’ where any citizen can temporarily rezz their objects, including, but not limited to, the streets, the river, the beach, some of the parks, and any similar places which are appropriate for public rezzing of objects.

3. Any citizen is allowed to rezz as much as they wish on public land, so long as they do not leave their objects unattended (and so long as those items have no griefing/abuse purpose), that is, the owner of those objects has to be in-world and in line of sight of their items.

4. Objects left unattended are to be returned by the Janitors, who are civil servants appointed by the Chancellor for this purpose.

5. All existing stray rezzed objects in public land, at the moment this bill is approved, shall be returned, and the Executive is encouraged to temporarily appoint more Janitors to the task.

6. All public buildings currently in the Land Verwaltung group shall always be copied to the content archivist (the ‘Archie’ avatar created for that purpose).

7. The Land Verwaltung group shall not need notices or public chat.

8. These are the roles that the current Land Verwaltung group shall have, as well as its powers and limitations:

1. 'Citizen': allows them access to rezzing objects (but not returning other people's objects) in public land. They are invited to the group with this role by the Executive once they buy their first parcel in the CDS, and removed by the Executive when they sell their last parcel.

2. 'Janitor': return objects on public land and eject griefers from public land. Their powers are revoked once the Executive term ends.

3. 'Event Hoster': access to rezzing objects, setting stream music, inviting other members of the event hosting team with the same role, ejecting griefers from public land. This role is to be set by the Executive and reverted once the scheduled event finishes.

4. 'Builder' (appointed by Chancellor): besides rezzing items, additional powers for terraforming and parcelling, to be temporarily set when building new regions or redeveloping existing regions, and to be reverted once the building is completed.

5. 'Executive' (usually the Chancellor or any Executive member this power is delegated [for example, the PIO]): ability to add and remove citizens (inviting new citizens once they buy their first parcel in the CDS, and removing them once they sell their last parcel); ability to add and revoke the Janitor/Builder/Event Hoster roles; ability to confer this same role to any Executive staff member.

6. 'SC' (to be delegated by the SC to one or more of its members): same roles as the Executive and used in extreme cases and/or emergencies in case the Executive neglects to revoke roles, or to empower a new Executive with their role and revoking the previous one (this role should be used instead of the 'Owner' role for all special maintenance).

7. 'Owner': currently set to Rudeen (Estate Owner) only. All other existing 'owners', currently just Jamie Palisades, shall be encouraged to remove themselves from this role.

9. This role separation shall not constitute an attribution of executive powers to the Scientific Council (SC). Rather, the SC will only use their powers in the group in extreme cases, e.g. when a Chancellor refuses to relinquish its role or the roles of its staff once their term is finished, or as a result of a SC decision regarding an abuse report. It is meant as a 'last resort' role only.

10. Similarly, the 'Owner' (currently the Rudeen 'bot as Estate Owner) shall also not be asked to manage the LV group, except as a last resort (e.g. both the Executive and the SC being simultaneously not available to deal with a critical emergency or a role change that might be determined as a consequence of new legislation in the future).

11. Executive and Scientific Council shall be politically responsible for the exercise of their powers within the group.

12. The SC shall also provide judicial oversight of the exercise of group powers, acting only on eventual requests and appeals by the citizens.

13. Regarding the scope of abuse reports, these will be handled as follows:

1. Prims or objects left unattended shall be simply returned by the Janitors.

2. In case a citizen consistently leaves unattended prims around for three times, or actively uses prims to grief others, the Chancellor shall issue a warning to that citizen, by IM and notecard.

3. After a further incident, the Chancellor shall temporarily ban the citizen from their role in the Land Verwaltung group, notify them to that effect by IM and notecard, publish it on an official source, and notify the SC about the incident.

4. All decisions of the Executive regarding removal of prims or banning from the LV group can be appealed to the SC.

14. For a definition of griefing, see the Official Second Life Wiki as well as the Linden Lab Terms of Service and the Linden Lab Community Standards.

Recommendations

This commission questioned its mandate regarding the discussion about Estate Managers. It was decided that such a mandate was not clearly specified at the time the commission was formed, and the commission decided to ask the RA to form a new commission to specifically address pertinent issues regarding Estate Managers, by also noting that the restructuring of the LV group will go a long way to provide proper ongoing maintenance and oversight without requiring additional powers.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Bill proposal for discussion: Land Verwaltung Group Act

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I was pretty surprised by the content of this Bill.

All citizens should be able to rez objects on public land?

The only limit is that this needs to be in 'designated areas' and they need to delete them when they log out?

I have some strong concerns about the potential impact of this Bill. If a dozen people rez a few extra prims in Monastery, for example, then the residents of that sim won't be able to use the prim allowance they pay for. With this kind of unconstrained ability, people might even find parts of their home disappearing because all the public prims have been used up. Monastery would be worst affected but, you can imagine this happening anywhere in the Estate if there is basically a free-for-all.

Have I missed something or is this really what the proposed legislation is saying?

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

You have read it correctly. The ability to rez prims everywhere is to be extended to all citizens. The restriction is that objects cannot be left unattended, and, of course, they cannot violate covenants, used for any kind of abuse (e.g. griefing, defaming others' builds), steal prims from other citizens or from public land, and so forth. 'Attended' means that the owner has to be logged in and within visible distance of the prims they rezzed; if they leave the prims by teleporting elsewhere or logging off, the Janitors are allowed to remove them.

I understand that the main reason for allowing this kind of freedom is to permit citizens to rezz vehicles anywhere on the CDS regions for personal use, while they're logged in, as well as to set up items for events they're holding. They will have to remove everything afterwards, and, if not, they might get a warning or even a revocation of their prim rezzing privileges.

Similarly, because this new power is prone to abuse, there will be little 'forgiveness' in the way prims are left around, when the intention is to hurt or harm others. This naturally includes attempts to subvert the prim assignments, specially on double-prim areas, where it's quite easy to abuse the system, even if it is done out of ignorance. Thus the need to review specially designated areas that are 'safe' for public rezzing by any citizen. It is expected that the special commission reviewing these areas will correctly identify especially sensitive areas (like the Monastery, for example) and exclude those from the allowed public areas. Before this bill was proposed, there was no Land-Usage Commission. I believe that one change that the RA might make when reviewing this law will be to:

1. Review the wording so that the law consistently says 'public rezzing areas' and not simply 'public land'

2. Eventually replace 'special commission' by the LUC, or define further how the 'special commission' is appointed (either by the RA, the Chancellor, or via another mechanism)

An earlier version of the proposed bill, which was rejected on subsequent meetings, was to create a new group for a 'Citizen's Sandbox' (actually, several areas designated as such, scattered among the regions). It was however decided that such a move would create a logistics nightmare, because of the way public buildings share prim usage, and it would also require maintaining a separate group. The last recommendation was to keep everything in a single group, limit (via the law) what can be used or not, and have no tolerance for those unwilling to follow the rules.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Nolligan
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Nolligan »

Similarly, because this new power is prone to abuse, there will be little 'forgiveness' in the way prims are left around,

This proposal could potentially result in an increased workload for Estate Managers. Tracking down 'stray' prims takes time and having to report finding them would generate an additional workload.

Therefore not only do we need to have more active EMs but the legislation should also include a trial period with a review process.

'So long and thanks for all the fish'
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

I think this proposal needs a bit more consideration to become workable. The notion that "if some people can rez on public land then everyone should be able to" needs to be challenged and the whole proposal needs to be filtered through the lens of "how is this going to work and is the additional workload appropriate?"

Could this be referred back to the Commission for further work?

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

3. Any citizen is allowed to rezz as much as they wish on public land, so long as they do not leave their objects unattended (and so long as those items have no griefing/abuse purpose), that is, the owner of those objects has to be in-world and in line of sight of their items.

As much as I'd like to have a convenient sandbox, I think this section of the decree is potentially messy and unattractive to behold for citizens and visitors but could be disastrous for any of our sim. Here's why. One day on Better World Island where I'm an EM, some squatters got around the rezzing restrictions and put up some dwellings for themselves on platforms 4000m above the sim. They rezzed objects that consumed more than the remaining prims available for that sim. All of a sudden a rush of glued together objects landed in my Lost & Found. When the allowed prim count was exceeded some of the older builds were returned to their owner by the system. After I found all the squatter stuff and deleted it, I had to rebuild a number of habitats at the Center for Water Studies. Not a good day!

None of our CDS sims has a large pool of unused prims just sitting there in reserve. I can envision a couple of people using this privilege at the same time, for instance one on the river and another next to the Ampitheater, each putting out a couple of new houses to try to decide which one to use to replace the one already on their plots. Or one rezzing houses and the other decorating for a planned CDS event. Together they use more than the remaining prims for the sim and suddenly the CN bridge, chunks of the Praetorium, the water from the Thermae and sections of the CN Forum go missing--returned to each of their owner's Lost & Found.

If we do decide to provide a couple of spots where people who have very small plots like those in the NFS City can rez boxed purchases in order to open the boxes--because they probably don't have 10 unused prims to do that at home--that could work just fine provided rules were posted for the rez spots. But in my opinion the general decree that all citizens can rez as much as they want so long as they remain right there would be a big mistake.

Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

If we do decide to provide a couple of spots where people who have very small plots like those in the NFS City can rez boxed purchases in order to open the boxes--because they probably don't have 10 unused prims to do that at home--that could work just fine provided rules were posted for the rez spots.

Or: open inventory, wear the box, click to edit and drag to inventory. Detach the box, wear or add the items from inventory. No sandbox needed.

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Widget and I reviewed rewrote the Land Verwaltung Group Act for consideration.

Preamble
Historically, the Land Verwaltung Group was created to (a) preserve and maintain the buildings and landscaping which are common property of all citizens of the CDS, i.e., public land and public buildings and (b) manage events held in public spaces.

1. The Land Verwaltung (LV) Group is managed by the Executive Office.

2. Access to the Land Verwaltung (LV) Group shall be open to citizens who want to participate in maintaining public spaces and/or manage events held in public spaces.

3. All public buildings currently in the Land Verwaltung group shall always be copied to the specific content archivist created for that purpose.

4. The Land Verwaltung group shall use notices or public chat to organize work parties for seasonal grounds work, etc.

5. These are the roles that the Land Verwaltung group shall have, as well as its powers and limitations:

a. 'Everyone': can rezz on public land, but not return other people’s objects, join group chat, join group voice chat, receive and read past notices.

b. Everyone includes performers, producers and public speakers who may not be citizens.

c. Executive Officers are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They are the Estate Owner, LRA, Chancellor and Dean of the Scientific Council have access to all functions.

d. Officers are Estate Managers and are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They can invite new members, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat, returns items, control voice settings. The Executive office, SC Dean and LRA may nominate EM candidates for selection by the EO.

e. Members of the RA are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They can invite new members, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat.

f. Members of SC are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They can invite new members, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat.

g. PIOs are specifically concerned with events. They can invite new members, assign roles, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat, control voice settings, return objects left on public land, show place in search and set a category. PIOs set each public venue as landmarked places for events in SL search. They serve with the current Executive Office and are appointed by the Chancellor.

h. LUC members are specifically concerned with public spaces. [roles and abilities of LUC in the LV Group are yet to be determined]

i. 'Builders' are specifically concerned with public spaces. They can rez and return objects, terraform, deed to group, manipulate (move, copy, modify) group owned objects, textures and scripts.

6. In extreme cases, e.g. when a Chancellor refuses to relinquish their role or the roles of their staff once their term is finished, or if there is an SC decision regarding an abuse report, then the Dean of the SC will use their powers in the LV group.

7. The LV Group Owner' shall manage the LV group, in the event that both the Executive and the Dean of the SC are simultaneously unavailable to deal with a critical emergency or a role change that might be determined as a consequence of new legislation.

8. For a definition of griefing, see the Official Second Life Wiki as well as the Linden Lab Terms of Service and the Linden Lab Community Standards.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Delia Lake wrote:

'Everyone': can rezz on public land

I appreciate the time Delia and Widget have taken to rewrite the bill but, with this part still in place, I have a great deal of concern that this will be unworkable. I think the Commission needs to be directed to think about this issue a bit more. We seem to have ended up with a rather idealistic, utopian proposal that 'everyone must be able to rez on public land if some people are allowed to'. That seems to me to be a rather extreme interpretation of the principle of equality.

It makes more sense to me that the right to rez prims on public land should be limited to the people who need to do so for maintaining the regions and setting up for events and so on.

In case I have not been clear, if this is passed in its current form I imagine having to use the Chancellor's veto rather earlier in the term than I had anticipated!

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

We do need a Commission or perhaps assign review to the new Land Use Group because permissions for LUC members are left blank at the moment. LUC members will need to be able to perform some functions on public lands. Left to be done also is to detail how the responsibilities of the LUC members and the Executive will be coordinated. Some laws will inevitably have to be modified and that also could affect the assigned abilities in the LV Group. Widget and I rewrote the proposed Bill as an alternative to be considered and discussed in this thread.

Also, I am most certainly not in favor of everyone and anyone being added to the LV Group and given permission to rez whatever they want, using public spaces as a personal sandbox. I think that could be disastrous.

"Everyone" here is not anyone and everyone but refers to the general SL group default designation of all who are in a group. Without being exclusionary, I think it is a bit presumptuous to assume that all citizens would want to participate in a community land management functional group. Those who are interested and wish to volunteer services can certainly ask the Chancellor to be added. "Everyone" has been the default all along; that title could certainly be changed. We could limit the abilities in that default designation. If we do that we might want an additional role such as "Seasonal Gardner" for citizens who might want to volunteer their services. Right now the LV Group has a Role called "Rez Rights." Currently there are 41 people in that category.

Victor1
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Victor1 »

I would just like to point out here that New Babbage 11 regions not only allows the folks staying in the city to rez on the "engineer land"... but allows everyone to rez on it, the regions have a 120 minute auto return with 6 main estate admins looking after the 11 sims.

Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

I understand that there may be some confusion about the differences between Gwyneth's proposed bill and the very different version Delia posted last night. Hopefully the following will help convey our thinking.... which is not yet complete for this bill. For instance, any act will need to take into account the functioning of the LUC, which is just getting started. EditI'm unable to find the original act that created the group.

Preamble
Gwyneth wrote

Historically, the Land Verwaltung Group was created mostly to preserve the buildings and spaces which are common property of all citizens of the CDS, i.e., public land and public buildings. However, the CDS grew, and with time, this group was adapted to fit different purposes. Currently, it is felt that, since all citizens contribute towards public land, all should have equal and fair access to it, and not limit public land to a privilege enjoyed by a selected few. This is a change of purpose of this group, which introduces new possibilities but also requires some strict rules to prevent abuse.

Delia and I wrote

Historically, the Land Verwaltung Group was created to (a) preserve and maintain the buildings and landscaping which are common property of all citizens of the CDS, i.e., public land and public buildings and (b) manage events held in public spaces.

Gwynth wrote

Access to the Land Verwaltung (LV) Group shall be open to all citizens, who shall be placed in a role to allow rezzing of prims on public land.
A special commission shall be formed, mandated to identify ‘public rezzing areas’ where any citizen can temporarily rezz their objects, including, but not limited to, the streets, the river, the beach, some of the parks, and any similar places which are appropriate for public rezzing of objects.
Any citizen is allowed to rezz as much as they wish on public land, so long as they do not leave their objects unattended (and so long as those items have no griefing/abuse purpose), that is, the owner of those objects has to be in-world and in line of sight of their items.
Objects left unattended are to be returned by the Janitors, who are civil servants appointed by the Chancellor for this purpose.
All existing stray rezzed objects in public land, at the moment this bill is approved, shall be returned, and the Executive is encouraged to temporarily appoint more Janitors to the task.
All public buildings currently in the Land Verwaltung group shall always be copied to the content archivist (the ‘Archie’ avatar created for that purpose).
The Land Verwaltung group shall not need notices or public chat.

Delia and I wrote

1. The Land Verwaltung (LV) Group is managed by the Executive Office.

2. Access to the Land Verwaltung (LV) Group shall be open to citizens who want to participate in maintaining public spaces and/or manage events held in public spaces.

3. All public buildings currently in the Land Verwaltung group shall always be copied to the specific content archivist created for that purpose.

4. The Land Verwaltung group shall use notices or public chat to organize work parties for seasonal grounds work, etc.

Group Roles
Gwyneth wrote

These are the roles that the current Land Verwaltung group shall have, as well as its powers and limitations:
'Citizen': allows them access to rezzing objects (but not returning other people's objects) in public land. They are invited to the group with this role by the Executive once they buy their first parcel in the CDS, and removed by the Executive when they sell their last parcel.
'Janitor': return objects on public land and eject griefers from public land. Their powers are revoked once the Executive term ends.
'Event Hoster': access to rezzing objects, setting stream music, inviting other members of the event hosting team with the same role, ejecting griefers from public land. This role is to be set by the Executive and reverted once the scheduled event finishes.
'Builder' (appointed by Chancellor): besides rezzing items, additional powers for terraforming and parcelling, to be temporarily set when building new regions or redeveloping existing regions, and to be reverted once the building is completed.
'Executive' (usually the Chancellor or any Executive member this power is delegated [for example, the PIO]): ability to add and remove citizens (inviting new citizens once they buy their first parcel in the CDS, and removing them once they sell their last parcel); ability to add and revoke the Janitor/Builder/Event Hoster roles; ability to confer this same role to any Executive staff member.
'SC' (to be delegated by the SC to one or more of its members): same roles as the Executive and used in extreme cases and/or emergencies in case the Executive neglects to revoke roles, or to empower a new Executive with their role and revoking the previous one (this role should be used instead of the 'Owner' role for all special maintenance).
'Owner': currently set to Rudeen (Estate Owner) only. All other existing 'owners', currently just Jamie Palisades, shall be encouraged to remove themselves from this role.

Delia and I wrote

5. These are the roles that the Land Verwaltung group shall have, as well as its powers and limitations:

a. 'Everyone': can rezz on public land, but not return other people’s objects, join group chat, join group voice chat, receive and read past notices.

b. Everyone includes performers, producers and public speakers who may not be citizens. Note: 'everyone' refers to the general SL group default designation of all who are in a group.

c. Executive Officers are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They are the Estate Owner, LRA, Chancellor and Dean of the Scientific Council have access to all functions.

d. Officers are Estate Managers and are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They can invite new members, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat, returns items, control voice settings. The Executive office, SC Dean and LRA may nominate EM candidates for selection by the EO.

e. Members of the RA are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They can invite new members, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat.

f. Members of SC are concerned with both public space and events using public spaces. They can invite new members, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat.

g. PIOs are specifically concerned with events. They can invite new members, assign roles, change media and music settings, eject and freeze residents on parcels, send, receive and read notices, join group chat, join group voice chat, control voice settings, return objects left on public land, show place in search and set a category. PIOs set each public venue as landmarked places for events in SL search. They serve with the current Executive Office and are appointed by the Chancellor.

h. LUC members are specifically concerned with public spaces. [roles and abilities of LUC in the LV Group are yet to be determined]

i. 'Builders' are specifically concerned with public spaces. They can rez and return objects, terraform, deed to group, manipulate (move, copy, modify) group owned objects, textures and scripts.

Conclusion
Gwyneth wrote:

This role separation shall not constitute an attribution of executive powers to the Scientific Council (SC). Rather, the SC will only use their powers in the group in extreme cases, e.g. when a Chancellor refuses to relinquish its role or the roles of its staff once their term is finished, or as a result of a SC decision regarding an abuse report. It is meant as a 'last resort' role only.
Similarly, the 'Owner' (currently the Rudeen 'bot as Estate Owner) shall also not be asked to manage the LV group, except as a last resort (e.g. both the Executive and the SC being simultaneously not available to deal with a critical emergency or a role change that might be determined as a consequence of new legislation in the future).
Executive and Scientific Council shall be politically responsible for the exercise of their powers within the group.
The SC shall also provide judicial oversight of the exercise of group powers, acting only on eventual requests and appeals by the citizens.
Regarding the scope of abuse reports, these will be handled as follows:
Prims or objects left unattended shall be simply returned by the Janitors.
In case a citizen consistently leaves unattended prims around for three times, or actively uses prims to grief others, the Chancellor shall issue a warning to that citizen, by IM and notecard.
After a further incident, the Chancellor shall temporarily ban the citizen from their role in the Land Verwaltung group, notify them to that effect by IM and notecard, publish it on an official source, and notify the SC about the incident.
All decisions of the Executive regarding removal of prims or banning from the LV group can be appealed to the SC.
For a definition of griefing, see the Official Second Life Wiki as well as the Linden Lab Terms of Service and the Linden Lab Community Standards.

Delia and I wrote

6. In extreme cases, e.g. when a Chancellor refuses to relinquish their role or the roles of their staff once their term is finished, or if there is an SC decision regarding an abuse report, then the Dean of the SC will use their powers in the LV group.

7. The LV Group Owner' shall manage the LV group, in the event that both the Executive and the Dean of the SC are simultaneously unavailable to deal with a critical emergency or a role change that might be determined as a consequence of new legislation.

8. For a definition of griefing, see the Official Second Life Wiki as well as the Linden Lab Terms of Service and the Linden Lab Community Standards.

Recommendations Gwyneth wrote

This commission questioned its mandate regarding the discussion about Estate Managers. It was decided that such a mandate was not clearly specified at the time the commission was formed, and the commission decided to ask the RA to form a new commission to specifically address pertinent issues regarding Estate Managers, by also noting that the restructuring of the LV group will go a long way to provide proper ongoing maintenance and oversight without requiring additional powers.

Delia and I recommend that the community consider both the LG and general CDS group designs in parallel and allow time for the various entities (Executive, LUC, Guild, et.al.) to confer about each. Edited to add: in parallel

Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

From the 2nd group discussion

It was found that restricting that ability just to a few citizens is unfair. On the other hand, the 'public rezzable areas' should not be widespread. There is no need to rezz items temporarily inside public structures. The debate went further on to discuss what limits there should be, to avoid abuse. It was pointed out that the guiding principle should be allowing anyone to rezz as much as they wish on public land, so long as they do not leave their objects unattended (and so long as those items have no griefing/abuse purpose), that is, the owner has to be in-world and in line of sight of their items. Returning unattended items shall be a function of the Janitors, civil servants appointed by the Chancellor.

There are a number of possible solutions to the occasions when Citizens might want to rez outside their own parcel or the parcel of a group. If rights are to be conferred on all citizens, why not provide those rights via the CDS group and maintain the specific purposes of the LV group?

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Widget Whiteberry wrote:

From the 2nd group discussion

It was found that restricting that ability just to a few citizens is unfair. On the other hand, the 'public rezzable areas' should not be widespread. There is no need to rezz items temporarily inside public structures. The debate went further on to discuss what limits there should be, to avoid abuse. It was pointed out that the guiding principle should be allowing anyone to rezz as much as they wish on public land, so long as they do not leave their objects unattended (and so long as those items have no griefing/abuse purpose), that is, the owner has to be in-world and in line of sight of their items. Returning unattended items shall be a function of the Janitors, civil servants appointed by the Chancellor.

There are a number of possible solutions to the occasions when Citizens might want to rez outside their own parcel or the parcel of a group. If rights are to be conferred on all citizens, why not provide those rights via the CDS group and maintain the specific purposes of the LV group?

The CDS and LV groups are separate, and land can only be set to one group, so you can't assign privileges from one group to another.

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The CDS and LV groups are separate, and land can only be set to one group, so you can't assign privileges from one group to another.

Ah. Nevermind, then.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”