Prevention Law

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Em Warden
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Prevention Law

Post by Em Warden »

At present some parcels are hold "hostage" in Monastery. They have become tools in the ongoing Cold War in CDS. The owners represent two different political views.

The parcels are held for strategic reasons, to ensure that they can be set for sale to people who hold the right political color.The price for a couple of them is unprecedently high, too high for anyone to purchase them spontaneously, and the owners admonish anyone who is interested in the parcel to contact the owner for a discussion of the price. The reason is obviously to be able to choose who can buy it.

I ask the RA to consider a way to prevent this kind of thing by implementing a law. But to be honest I suspect that it is impossible. It can probably only be solved through a peace treaty... :|

When you go through hell- keep walking!

Winston Churchill
Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Prevention Law

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I could just take my plot off the market, Em, and use it.

I am doing what I am doing to get a new person (or former CDS person) in the SIM. Nothing more, nothing less. I set the price really high, and in the land description I put that they should make me an offer and I would prefer someone who is not currently a citizen.

I am not participating in any "cold war" - I do not care who this potential resident will vote for. They could be a supporter of someone I have deep disagreements, so long as they are not currenltly a citizen, I will sell them the property for a reasonable rate. There are political litmus tests from me, nor am I trying to recruit any friends (they are either already here, or want nothing to do with CDS). I have no plans on running for office, too, so I have no political motivation for the sale. Plus I was planning on selling it for the standard government rate for it, so it isn't going to be tangiably better than any other similarly sized double primmed plot.

I notice we are having a land shortage, that will hit people who want to be a member of CDS pretty hard, so this is my small way of "reserving" a piece of land as we work on a new sim.

You could have asked me, too. I'd have been glad to explain my rationale to you personally. But I think it is pretty clear from the land description, too.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Moonrise Azalee
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

Both Bromo and Timo were very fair with pricing. Timo agreed to sell to a friend of mine that is completely new to CDS and a bit of a stranger to SL altogether, and Bromo offered a fair price to me previously on his Monastery parcel as well (and it's not like he and I have always seen eye to eye)
As for my friend who asked Timo, she had no fear directly contacting him, even as a newb, and land descriptions of both parcels were very clear.
I don't think it's a big deal.

“There is no God and we are his prophets.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road
Em Warden
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Em Warden »

If you have agreed to sell your parcel to a certain person, why not simply set it for sale to him o her?

Whatever- I just find it very sad that 4 adjacent beutiful parcels in Monastery are empty now, out of 6 total not counting the monastery itself. For whatever reason.

When you go through hell- keep walking!

Winston Churchill
Timo Gufler
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Timo Gufler »

:)

Well, recently I have been bit busy in RL and SL has been in the background. Before that I just wanted to do an experiment, to see, if someone is ready to pay such an absurd price for the CDS land, and then I forgot it. Actually my parcel was bought by Leslie accidentally, but I bought it back from him. Moon's friend contacted me, because she was interested in buying the parcel, but then had second thoughts, I think.

Anyway, I'm impressed, that my experiment was so original, that Bromo wanted to try the same too. We have more than enough laws already. I'll cancel the experiment soon. ;)

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I actually have no offers on my parcel on Monastery, or I would now not own it. Moonrise decided to leave CDS, but knows that until my plot gets a buyer, my offer stands.

But point taken, since this might take a little time, I ought to at least decorate it a little to make it look nice!

==

Moonrise Azalee
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

I haven't left CDS Bromo - I am not active in it, but I do still have my shop in the center of CN :)
As long as have that parcel I still have the ability to vote/participate etc. if I wish. But thank you again for your offer.

Em - when I said that Timo was going to sell to a friend of mine, and that Bromo offered to sell me his, I wasn't insinuating that they were only selling to one particular person.
As far as I know, my friend was wandering through CDS, saw yellow, went to it, saw a plot for sale that mentioned contacting the owner about price, and did so.

Bromo's is done in a similar manner. The higher price set so that someone doesn't just walk in and get it, but so that they contact first to express their interest as a non current CDS member. That's all.

I don't think there's anything sad about it at all.
I think it is rather well thought out personally.

“There is no God and we are his prophets.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road
Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Speaking of which ... I sold the parcel last night to a returning CDS citizen. :-)

==

Return to “Legislative Discussion”