My registration to post in this forum does not get through?

Please post your questions and answers here.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

My registration to post in this forum does not get through?

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

When you register as a new user for this forum your registration first has to pass through a 'human inspection' before you're actually allowed to post.

This measure has been introduced to avoid the discussion forums being flooded with spam: Unfortunately, the spammers have set up automated bots that scour the internet looking for discussion boards where they can register fake users and post messages with links to their dubious sites.

Of the (at the moment of writing) 650 users registered for this forum it is estimated that around 589 are actually registration of fake users by spam bots. The moderators at the moment receive 10 - 20 emails per day from the discussion forum software notifying of new user registrations. The vast majority of these registrations are phony.

Sometimes due to human error or for other reasons such as the name of your choosing bearing an uncanny resemblance to names previously used by spambots your registration may fail to be acknowledged as authentic by the moderators.

Therefore should you feel that you are having to wait for an unreasonable period of time before being approved to post (you will receive an email to the effect that your registration has been approved) - any time longer than 24 hours can generally be considered an unreasonable amount of time save for holiday periods, when people may be away from their internet connection - [b:3kyyny20]please do not hesitate to IM in world any of the forum moderators to notify them of your registration.[/b:3kyyny20] In fact do not hesitate to send this notification in advance in order to speed up the processing of your registration.

The current forum moderators are:
- Gwyneth Llewelyn
- Fernando Book
- Dianne Mechanique
- Patroklus Murakami (?)
- Diderot Mirabeau

Steps are being taken to improve this procedure in the future. However, for the time being this unfortunately is the way that things have to be done.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: My registration to post in this forum does not get through?

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

A few notes, since we upgraded to php3.0 (Release Candidate 8):

• Approval now is fully automatic. This new version has a lot of improvements to filter out spambots. In fact, since the upgrade, not a single spambot managed to log in, they were all blocked at the entrance! This was actually the major reason for upgrading...

• Some old logins did not manage to have their passwords correctly converted to the new version, making logging in impossible under Release Candidate 6. Release Candidate 8 seems to have addressed the issue, and at least a few people have managed to log in again.

• During the conversion process, most of the BBCode "broke down", ie. it sadly added a bit of garbage on it which prevents it to be displayed correctly. The only choice is to manually go through the articles and delete that garbage and save again. I do it once in a while for the old posts, on a thread that gets "ressurected" ("bumped") or so, but it's a manual thing which is rather time-consuming.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Claude Desmoulins »

The spambots have caught up. We now receive dozens of automated registration requests each day. If you register, please also send an IM to a member of the SC, including the username you are trying to register.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

The members of the SC (Scientific Council) include:
Claude Desmoulins
Delia Lake
Naftali Torok
Danton Sideways
Aliasi Stonebender
Dnate Mars

(Edited 25 July by Claude Desmoulins at Sonja's request - added Danton's last name)

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: My registration to post in this forum does not get throu

Post by Callipygian »

Since this thread was started some years ago, the system for registration has changed.

Current information can be found here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4493

Callipygian

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Questions & Answers about the CDS”