What about some practical ways to welcome and to introduce new citizens to the CDS?

Please post your questions and answers here.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: What about some practical ways to welcome and to introduce new citizens to the CDS?

Post by Han Held »

Rosie Gray wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 pm
Han Held wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:45 pm

It works on an ad-hoc basis and that gives me an idea for a proposal. In addition to whatever group we come up with I wonder if it would be possible to create some sort of list of new and/or returning citizens on a weekly basis?

Such a list would allow folks who can't predict when they'll be online (raises hand) a resource they can refer to so that when they do go online they can refer to the list and make a point of reaching out and/or keeping an eye for people who are new.

That also has the additional advantage of potentially outlasting temporary greeter attempts -when the greeter idea is revisted in the future it will be a resource people can mention and utilize in their efforts.

It would be best if it was auto-generated; but that would require scripting which is beyond my abilities :cry:

Well, Estate Managers DO have a way to know when someone new settles in the CDS, and when someone is returning. That is the Land Ownership Changes spreadsheet! http://www.tospitimou.com/landscanner/view.php Perhaps someone in the Welcome Committee could take the initiative to make a list from that spreadsheet?

That lacks context -is this someone who is new, is returning or simply getting another parcel?

It also has the downside of being limited to EMs; so future groups/comittees would be reliant on having not just EM access -but caspervend or land scanner notifications.

That is a good reminder for EMs, however as you point out.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: What about some practical ways to welcome and to introduce new citizens to the CDS?

Post by Sudane Erato »

That particular website, http://www.tospitimou.com/landscanner/view.php , is accessible to anyone... it's not behind a login. It simply records every change in ownership which the land scanners detect. It's true, it might be rather hard to use for the purposes proposed (identifying new residents), since it's also full of all the transfers which EMs need to do when readying a parcel for sale. But there might be some way...

Another source for names of new/returning residents might be the census tool that I'm working on now, since that uses a different set of scanners to discover who owns every parcel. It runs every 2 days. Again, it would have to be worked on to develop the sort of listing that Han proposes.

Sudane..............

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Since we don´t get exactly overrun by new and returning citizens every week ...*coughs ... month, I think it does not add to much additional burden to the chancellor or an assigned EM to publish a list of new arrivers once a month, or whenever it happens.
I personally try to make a note in the EM sheet to let others know when someone is new to CDS

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Emilia Avindar
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Emilia Avindar »

I have read and agree to these thoughts; yes an improved method of making it easier to identify new or returning Citizens would be much appreciated. When I detect someone new on Landscanner or from Lilith's EM notes, I make it a point to send them a welcome message. Usually they have been added to the CDS group already, so I know this is teamwork, and love of community.

RA has asked that I bring the Government Question Hour back, as it is mandated, and I think it could become a fun event, and would encourage us to engage each other, and welcome everyone.

My best availability for the foreseeable future is on Sundays. The law states that one member will represent each of our three branches of government, Representative, Executive and Philosophical. Lilith (SC) and Lyubov (RA) and Han (PIO) have expressed much support of this event, and I am grateful of your shared willingness to suggest a time that will be best for all.

These gatherings should be monthly, and I hope it will bring us happiness and strengthen our community.

Chancellor Emilia

Chancellor, 32nd Term, December 2019 - May 2020.
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Han Held wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:34 pm

That lacks context -is this someone who is new, is returning or simply getting another parcel?

It also has the downside of being limited to EMs; so future groups/comittees would be reliant on having not just EM access -but caspervend or land scanner notifications.

That is a good reminder for EMs, however as you point out.

Yes, I meant to edit the post to say that it is viewable by anyone, but someone I wasn't able to edit the post. Anyway, as Lilith notes there aren't THAT many new/returning citizens, so it's really easy for anyone to just look there and see who has purchased a parcel and figure out who is new.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

Post by Almut Brunswick »

Hello dear fellow CDS citizens,

I'm happy that my thread has eventually motivated more of you to add their thoughts and information. Some of them are of great value, others might go a bit too deep into details or are even a bit off-topic (at least from my point of view).

However, let us return to the original topic of this thread: What about some more practical ways to welcome and to introduce new (! - and I maybe should add: potential new) citizens to the CDS?

I just can speak for myself of course. Like Lilith said, there might be a lot of CDS citizens who are actually just interested to have a calm plot in a pleasant neighbourhood with minimal or even no interest in participation on the CDS government and/or common creative activities. That is their choice, though I personally regard this as a bit odd: They could have their piece of land in any other arbitrary resort or corrugated community in SL, too. In any case, it is a weak argument to let the information situation as insufficient as it is because only just a few citizens would ever ask for that.

My demand is thus still a "CDS in a nutshell" information source which is more of just answering some random noob questions in IMs. This p2p coaching is highly appreciated though and a great addition, because everybody has a slightly different focus. But this is not the means to enable new citizes like me to participate actively. And also to guarantee a minimum of common knowledge about the political and social system of the CDS.

The more we talk about it, the more it seems to reveal that there are some roles and functions in the CDS which are neither legitimed nor controlled by the Constitution, but partly assigned to the Chancellor's power or installed due to common law. It is not easy for a newcomer to gain an overview here. Their roles shall be explained briefly (!) somewhere IMHO.

What about creating a Google doc of such a "CDS in a nutshell" spreadsheet similar to Rosie's draft for the chancellor's guide? I think this approach would be less endangered to become a long sequence of more or less relevant postings which cannot be traced anymore at some point. I could set up it and compile already gathered information in it.

Almut

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

great idea, Almut! Please share a link to the google doc as soon as you have drafted something. But be warned, knowing the ways of CDS I would prepare for a discussion about the depths of the constitution, a lot of off-topic posts and derailing included :P Looking forward to it...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:37 am

great idea, Almut! Please share a link to the google doc as soon as you have drafted something. But be warned, knowing the ways of CDS I would prepare for a discussion about the depths of the constitution, a lot of off-topic posts and derailing included :P Looking forward to it...

Awww... Tan... that doesn't happen in the CDS!! :)

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:37 am

Here comes the link to the CDS New Citizen's Guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j3P ... sp=sharing

Please let me know if you can edit it. I'm going to convey gathered information from this thread and other sources such as Rosie's Chancellor Handbook draft to this document.

Almut

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

Thank you Almut, this is a great start! The document does appear to be Editable by anyone and several updates have already been made.

Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

Thank you so far to all who already have contributed. I highly appreciate it! Step by step, there comes a bit more clarity in this document ... and in my head. I could imagine a FAQ section, too, which could cover questions not yet presented in the chapters before. And also some more information about (living) non-governmental institutions and groups like the Guild.

Almut

Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

Hello all,

I took the occasion that I completely missed the April Chancellor/RA campaign/election to add a new chapter to the CDS New Citizen's Guide in regard of Campaigns and Elections (highlighted in yellow). It hopefully saves new citizens that this will ever happen to them like it happened to me. Please feel free to add further content or to correct mistakes - thank you!

Almut

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I don´t have ti,e to work on this myself atm but there is more info that might be helpful

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9215

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Questions & Answers about the CDS”