History?

Please post your questions and answers here.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

History?

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I was having some discussions regarding CDS - realizing I came on board 2 years after it started on the Mainland.

Was wondering if anyone had (or maybe could post here) a history from the first days until about now?

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Re: History?

Post by Delia Lake »

Gwyn has some great stories about the early history. Aliasi probably does also. Claude Desmoulins started to put some CDS history together a couple of years ago and I think some is even posted on the Forum but you'll have to search for it a bit or try sending an IM to Claude to see if he picks up. Brian Livingston did some work on history too I believe.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I'd love to see a history assembled... indeed, I feel strongly that sooner or later one will be, because of the really historical significance of this community. For the earliest years, please understand that the SL-based Neualtenberg forum was where a very large percentage of our life went on. Calli has recently located this on line in the SL archived blogs, but it also exists as a zipped file held by many of us to prevent loss (kind of like Wikileaks distributing its purloined diplomatic files among thousands of world-wide supporters in order to prevent their loss). We may want to consider getting this material onto our website so that researchers can access it.

Another first step might be to assemble lists of people who've been in the community for a long time and devise a sort of de-briefing process... where we can collect historical material from recollections. In addition to myself and Gwyn (who were here in 2004), people like Aliasi, Pat, Claude, Jon Seattle and MANY others have been with us since 2005, and the sum total of their recollections might fill in a fairly detailed picture of events.

Also, someone might take it upon themselves to contact the "long departed"... and collect their recollections. Although I myself might profoundly disagree with much of what she says, anyone willing and able to contact Ulrika Zugzwang, who really is the founder of the concept of the CDS, would collect a very significant body of information about our history.

Sudane.............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

One thing about the Internet (at least for now), history is just there for the asking:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2006/09/trademarking_ut.html

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

That's really an incredibly useful source for the various POV's. I don't remember ever seeing it, but I never followed Hamlet...

Thanks Bagheera! See how much as changed??!!

Sudane.............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Thanks for finding Hamlet's piece, Bagheera. It never popped up in searches I've done and it was fun to read.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

There is some history about the CDS on this Wikia page: http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/CDS

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

I've again been searching around for more history about the CDS. I came across this archive of the old Second Life Forums. It starts in September, 2004, with Ulrika and Kendra discussing what kind of a community the then Neualtenberg should be and what kind of government should they have. I found it a very interesting read and thought some of my fellow CDS citizens might like to read it too. You can find this archived conversation athttp://forums-archive.secondlife.com/10 ... 948/1.html

Aedan Charron
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Aedan Charron »

Thank you for all of these links. I know the thread is a bit dated but many of the links are still valid and certainly useful to any newcomer ...or anybody that didn't get a chance to learn more of the history when they arrived. History adds a lot of context to things and helps fill in some of the blanks of why some things are as they are and hopefully provide lessons going forward. :)

Return to “Questions & Answers about the CDS”