Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Responding to Nolligan's question

Post by Cadence Theas »

Nolligan wrote:

Community Standards
Harassment
Given the myriad capabilities of Second Life, harassment can take many forms. Communicating or behaving in a manner which is offensively coarse, intimidating or threatening, constitutes unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors, or is otherwise likely to cause annoyance or alarm is Harassment.
http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

1. As an elected representative how will you uphold Linden Lab's Community Standards regarding Harassment?
2. If you knew of an incident that could be construed as harassment using the above definition what would you do?

I feel that there should be zero tolerance for harassment of any kind. And I feel that the existing authorities in CDS should take any allegation seriously and investigate it opportunely. That is the SC's job. Unfortunately, the judicial process takes a long time and the resentments, fears, self-doubts that result from harassment are not addressed in a long judicial process. We also have the example of the EMs who are entrusted with the banning of people for reasons of harassment, but this also is not necessarily a viable solution as we have seen in the forum where the issues are still contested.

I would suggest that the SC establish a specific rapid response procedure to harassment claims, a short-cut process that can be reviewed later on appeal. This has the advantage of passing through a judicial process, the administration of justice as reviewed by the SC, and guarantees, through the appeal process, that there is not a miscarriage of justice.

If I was witness to harassment, I would bring it to the attention of the authorities. In the case I mentioned in another thread ("The hijacking of democracy"), I did not act in this manner, and regret not having done so. It would have forestalled later problems. I will not do the same in future cases.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Responding to Nolligan's question

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Cadence.

When you personally griefed and harassed CDS and bagheera by rezzing fire flames and such on public property using your EM privileges .I am still confused ....how would you have the SC respond to that behavior of willful law violation and misuse of power on your part ?

What would you propose they do when anther EM rosie gray does not eject a skateboarder she claimed bumped her but instead uses an illegal griefing tool to teach a visitor a lesson .This is what she said..In her own words? (And I was there btw and witnessed this)

The current SC tried to bring trumped up bogus charges to me and bagheera regarding a nativity scene at a Christmas party.....
and supports harassment by repeatedly turning a blind eye to griefers like you and Gaius. The same SC leader who came to the RA worried about a nativity scene accurately placed as a.decoration , the same SC who did refuse to hear a case brought to them about a person's name being burnt at the stake on public land. The reason I bring this up is to explain why ...that This hypocrisy in the execution of their duties makes it hard for me to support giving this duty to the SC.

We have seen also a recent executive who has known about griefing on public land and committed hate crimes himself by not removing it. But instead used it to his own political advantage. So I am at a loss to how a corrupt govt who can't seem to police itself can police us.

Nolligan.
The answer to what woukd I do. I think it's time to go back in time and rethink establishing a judicial branch again. Thw SC we have respectfully , is not adequate , either by design or desire I have no clue which.

So my answer is we need a judicial branch.

I would also like citizens to continue to bring issues to thw RA and put them in the open and have us all think hard about we make this end and keep CDS a wonderful place to live for everyone.

( I suspect cadence will not actually answer the questions above .)..

Cleo
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Responding to Nolligan's question

Post by Cadence Theas »

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

When you personally griefed and harassed CDS and bagheera by rezzing fire flames and such on public property using your EM privileges .I am still confused ....how would you have the SC respond to that behavior of willful law violation and misuse of power on your part ?

What would you propose they do when anther EM rosie gray does not eject a skateboarder she claimed bumped her but instead uses an illegal griefing tool to teach a visitor a lesson .This is what she said..In her own words? (And I was there btw and witnessed this)

The current SC tried to bring trumped up bogus charges to me and bagheera regarding a nativity scene at a Christmas party.....
and supports harassment by repeatedly turning a blind eye to griefers like you and Gaius. The same SC leader who came to the RA worried about a nativity scene accurately placed as a.decoration , the same SC who did refuse to hear a case brought to them about a person's name being burnt at the stake on public land. The reason I bring this up is to explain why ...that This hypocrisy in the execution of their duties makes it hard for me to support giving this duty to the SC.

We have seen also a recent executive who has known about griefing on public land and committed hate crimes himself by not removing it. But instead used it to his own political advantage. So I am at a loss to how a corrupt govt who can't seem to police itself can police us.

( I suspect cadence will not actually answer the questions above .)..

Cleo, I have answered the first question many many times in various threads, so I am not going to repeat an answer which you clearly have not bothered to read the previous times I described the event. The second question is not answerable in the way you ask it, for the simple reason that regardless of who did what to whom, any, and I mean ANY sexual harassment is the most atrocious thing you can do to anyone, and nothing, NOTHING justifies it, nor the use of a rape griefing tool. You are so fixated on the sequence of events which is in any case disputable, that you have completely overlooked the most heinous of crimes which is the sexual harassment through the use of a rape griefing tool. I would have done the same, ban anyone who sexually harassed me or anyone around me, and I would hope that all of the EMs, be they women or men would do exactly the same. There is no place in the world, even the virtual world for sexual abusers, and they should be banned from any society. The fact that you are so ready to disregard the seriousness of what happened, is almost like justifying date rape, saying that the girl or the woman deserved it for x or y reason. I really do NOT think this is the message you want to give to the women of CDS, nor to the men. And I don't think you really want to defend your friend's use of a rape griefing tool.

Cleo, you tend to see hypocrisy in anyone who does not think the way you do or have the same vision of CDS as you do. And it is unfair to burden the rest of CDS with the vision of one. That is why there are elections. If you were to take off your now jaded rose-color glasses, you would find that CDS is still a pretty cool place, and that most of us are pretty nice people.

I want to take advantage of this post about harassment and ask that you do not shop in Delirium Style. I used to be a customer of theirs, but I was there today and found at least three manikins in the mens section of the store (I didn't stay to look for more) of women drunk passed out on the floor with bottles in their hands, scantily dressed or with high skirts. Given that the major context for date rape is precisely the state of inebriation of the woman, I think the use of these manikins, in the mens section of the store, warrants a message of censure to the owner, and a boycott of the store. It is an outrageously insensitive portrayal of women and the trivialization of a serious sexual abuse problem in most countries of the world. Please, please, pass this message on to your friends, acquaintances, groups, etc. I took pictures to place in a notecard with a statement reiterating the insensitivity so that the message can be distributed to everyone you know in SL. The next time I am inworld, I will make the notecard available, and the LM of the store.

Return to “Questions from Citizens”