To answer Bromo's question about a new sim

Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

To answer Bromo's question about a new sim

Post by Cadence Theas »

Bromo asked the following question: "We've been talking about getting a new sim since it seems like our vacancy rate is rather low. Do you feel we are ready for a new sim? What do you see as the risks and rewards? DO you have any ideas on how you will work with CDS to determine the theme? How do you see the RA and Chancellor working together towards this goal if you feel a new sim should be done?"

****************************************************************************************************************************+
In my campaign statement, I wrote the following:

Cadence Theas wrote:

Sim development. What does expansion mean? I would love to see more sims, but not at the huge social cost that the LA sim reform has caused. Adding sims just to fill them up, or to bring in additional monies is never the answer unless, we first manage to come together as a community. We are an organic community going through a rather difficult moment, not simply a list of people who pay tier every month. If the LA reform produced such acrimony, accusations, and character assassinations in the forum and in IM after two years of discussion and argument, what would a new sim produce right now? I am all for new sims, but only if we can approach it in a mature manner recognizing that we all need to give and take in what has to be a CDS-wide consultation process. I will insist in a popular consultation process, and the negotiation of final results in any sim development initiative.

There seems to be an informal consensus to develop specifically NSF West. But there is not much discussion yet regarding the development of property there and the relationship between the public and private areas. For us to be ready to develop a new sim, we must be committed to the idea of NOT repeating the LA experience. The only way to ensure that this does not happen is to include a binding consultation process in the proposal for NSF West.

I don’t think the issue is the chancellor and RA working together; their role is to promote the development of the sim, to approve the design after the consultation process, and to make sure it gets done. Their role is not to build the sim, there are many qualified people in CDS who have the experience and talent to bring the dream forward. Having said that, a new sim does offer a unique collaborative process and a new chance for wider participation with the following proposal:

I suggest that the New Guild use the new sim as a type of field school for those CDS members who want to learn how to build, or to refine the building skills they already have. If we have a little bit of patience in this final stage of the sim development process to offer the field school, we can say at the end that we have a sim built in a truly collaborative manner.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: To answer Bromo's question about a new sim

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Bromo Ivory wrote:

"We've been talking about getting a new sim since it seems like our vacancy rate is rather low. Do you feel we are ready for a new sim? What do you see as the risks and rewards? DO you have any ideas on how you will work with CDS to determine the theme? How do you see the RA and Chancellor working together towards this goal if you feel a new sim should be done?"

Postby cleopatraxigalia » Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 am

Great Question Bromo!

I think that if the citizens want to discuss a new sim then we should do so. This is a huge venture and should not be commenced without great consideration.

Risks:

**********The risks to CDS as a whole.. well its the obvious ones like money and stuff.. maybe we lose some of our huge savings account. I think the financial risk is worth looking at in detail, but likely not enough to stop this sort of project. I think we can sell the land easily if a sim is purchased and the financial risk would be small if we can get it up and running in a reasonable length of time.

*********There is a potentially HUGE risk to the current power blocks in CDS, challenged by new voters who would possibly want things done in a new way and have candidates of their own. There is also a risk of a cultural shift. Building a new sim means welcoming a whole new group of people with new ideas and ones that may or may not jive with the people who are already here. This is the main risk to buying a new sim. New eyes on what we do here. New voices asking questions. New ideas of how things should be done. We should first ask ourselves... Is our system solid enough to work no matter who is here and who comes along to join and may be voted into office? For example, if you think the wrong person being chancellor would do great harm to CDS , then say no to building a new sim and inviting a potential voting base in that could make great changes to how things are run. But if you think that we currently have adequate checks and balances separation of powers and a strong enough system to withstand an influx of new citizens then this risk is lower.

Benefits:

**********A benefit is that we WILL have a place to put new citizens and have an influx of helping hands, sharp minds and innovative ideas. Yes, more new citizens! .. (We could quickly get this in a much less financially risky, but less appealing way, by lowering the number of square meters each individual avatar can own. )

**********The most important benefit I see from a new sim is to have the opportunity to create some "group cohesion" around a project. My interpretation of the way this would be done is this... that the Chancellor needs to involve all citizens ( not just the guild) in matters that have to do with land and its use.

"The Chancellor must provide for regular and active citizen participation and public review of any decision concerning land use or the aesthetic or functional environment." CDS Constitution

Personally, I take this statement to mean not just a few citizens, or the Guild, but all of us. Everyone who desires to participate. And I think if the new sim is created with this concept in mind it will be a BENEFIT for everyone. The look of the finished product is less important than how it is created. Its spirit will be what matters. I mean, we could just purchase a prebuilt sim, or hire simbuilders if we just want a place to plunk down hippo boxes.

But, I think a project such as the building of a new sim is a marvelous opportunity for us to join together and create something that has the fingerprint of each citizen in some way. Because of our failure to come together and make this happen in the recent past... well that may seem a call for caution to some. A case for not even trying. I do not think that way. I don't think that way because I know in the past CDS HAS built sims in a way that was inclusive and allowed everyone to participate at the level they choose, so I know it can be done. We have roadmaps to this process archived. I think that, given the opportunity, people will rise to the occasion when the task is set before them and goodness and fairness will prevail, allowing us all to feel part of the creation process.

I think doing this will challenge the group and make it stronger, and make CDS a better place to live.

Cleo
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Thank you Cleo :)

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Let's make this informal consensus formal by putting some options on the next election as a referendum item.

Cleo

Return to “Questions from Citizens”