Bagheera's position statement for Office of Chancellor

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Bagheera's position statement for Office of Chancellor

Post by Bagheera »

Manifesto... How we got here: It helps to remember that our history shapes us.

CDS exists, continues to exist, because of a coup.... CDS was tempered in the fires that burned after Ulrika was ousted.

Ulrika, CDS's creator - the one with the vision who then put in her time and energy to create this dream of a government run virtual entity. Ulrika, who abruptly learned that CDS was no longer subject to her - it had become separate and even though she was the original creator and had invested and volunteered her time and creative spirit, it was no longer subject to her personal whims and desires to control it.

Some things came out of that lesson - both good and bad...

Of the good, CDS became the proof a virtual society could exist beyond the ideosyncracies of an individual owner. We became an entity of laws - laws created by elected representatives. Many many individuals debated, wrangled and defined laws that could be a touchstone for decisions and resolving disputes, for responsible sim/resource management, for ownership of property, and for trustworthy administration of assets.

Of the bad, first, there is a missing level of accountability for SL-client tools that has never been fully addressed. Even now, how those who have those powers wield them is highly dependent on trust.

As Ulrika said

“A virtual government with a structure that does not map directly to the SL-client tools for sim control and object permissions is unenforceable. In times of harmony, the system will appear to function, but in times of discord, the system will break down and authority will shift to the group that is in control of the SL-client tools.”

(http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2006/09/trademarking_ut.html)

And second, beginning with the ouster of Ulrika and subsequent particle-fests and effigies mocking her; we have created a tolerance for meanness with a cursory gloss of “just kidding” or “its only virtual” that only just barely covers the very real hostility underneath...and this has been not just tolerated but even encouraged by leadership.

Now, there has become an ever widening disparity between what we "sell" - how we present ourselves to others - the ideal; and what we have - the reality behind the curtain once one comes inside....

(Calli had wanted everything said to be provable facts, so I have included an example that is verifiable for each of my points.)

1) We do have an elite. People who have been given privileges through estate management (those unmapped SL-client tools Ulrika talked about) or positions they hold in our government, then abuse those privileges outside the purposes for which they were granted. When called on it, the response is “oh, they volunteered a lot!” as if volunteering conveys some unwritten special privilege instead of those positions being ones of TRUST, not favored opportunity.

Documented examples of this:

*The unauthorized locking of the Hippo after Ludo Merit abandoned her Locus Amoenus water parcel to Rudeen Edo instead of the standard procedure which is to set the land to sale on the open market.

*The locking of an available parcel in NFS by Tor, as Chancellor, that should have been made for sale to anyone, but instead was locked for two weeks while a potential new citizen considered joining CDS.

* recently - May 4th, the transfer of land abandoned to Rudeen to the current Chancellor, Pat, in NFS 7 minutes after abandonment and then subsequently transferred to Rosie Gray 7 minutes later. There may be a reasonable explanation for this but by looking at the records, it has the appearance of land that upon abandonment, SHOULD have been put for sale on the open market by the Chancellor, but was grabbed instead by the Chancellor, who had no intention of keeping it, but passed it on to a 3rd party.

* the banning of individuals through estate management tools that completely bypass our judicial system. The banning that should be done is for griefers and freeloaders - when one finds a warren of a few thousand prims stashed high above public land by individuals/groups - then the protection is to ban the instigators of that kind of abuse. Rosie banned a friend of Cleo’s for bumping Andromeda on a skatebord. Banning someone for bumping against someone with a skateboard once should NOT result in an estate management ban, especially when the victim and the skateboarder worked it out later. As Gwyn has pointed out, even Ulrika isn’t banned from CDS lands, she just can’t be a citizen. The skateboarder actually had bought into CDS but decided it would be better to leave than fight for the right to stay. That doesn’t make what happened right.

2) Our leadership attacks citizens, circumventing our system of laws to resolve disputes. The most obvious example of this is the treatment of Cleo who was brought before the SC JUST ONCE and ACQUITTED; nevertheless she has been the target for blaming and misdirecting attention from problems that should be fixed. It has become a free-for-all with entrenched leadership not only fueling the fire but aiding and abetting others in their own personal attacks against Cleo.

Just look at the transcript I posted from last August RA meeting for proof of that.

Or, consider this documented example:

prim rezzed in the crypt of the Kirsche by Gaius on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:04am that contains a texture spelling the word CLEO and placed on the tomb. Cleo was still a citizen during this time. This prim has been known about - admittedly - by Tor the former Chancellor - and most likely by others with estate as well as being the object of hidden snickers by many residents. This has been allowed to exist for over a year and half on public land - and even for those who appreciate symbology - inside what should be a sacred place, not the seeding ground for animosity. I only just learned about it last week and the only reason I didn’t return it was I wanted it to be in place when I brought it up in this post. Cleo didn’t know about it until I told her.

3) our land management is full of "wink wink nudge nudge" duplicity and little accountability.

Documented example of this:

An existing, notable example of this is land still deeded to groups, 2 years after the passage of CDSL 16-03 (passed on March 17, 2012) which makes land deeded to groups illegal. Not only are there groups that never relinquished ownership but even, most recently, a new group started by Tor deeding land in Locus Amoenus and whose first members included Pat, Calli, and Rosie as well as an alt of Tor’s. The irony in this is that Pat was the one who drafted the law and Tor was Chancellor at the time it was passed, so they both cannot claim any ignorance of their actions. Callie and Rosie should have known better but could ostensibly argue they forgot.

To sum up, the power base stays the same through innuendo against citizens by leadership, by manipulation of land ownership, and even outright denial of support for elected leaders that do not toe the line established by the entrenched elite.

Nevermind that I put in hours of work parceling, terraforming and figuring out the expenses for Locus Amoenus, the entrenched elite have done everything they can to discredit and now dissassemble as much of possible of what I have done there. My original plan for the causeway that was approved by the RA and delighted many of the citizens was wholesale dissassembled and returned to my lost and found even though it was mostly complete. The island I set for the center of the sim - also part of the original plan I submitted to the RA and got approved - so new visitors wouldn’t land underwater has been drowned. As I predicted, Pat and Rosie are claiming all the credit they can grab for LA’s completion when it was 95% done before they touched it. To say I feel insulted is an understatement.

To be honest, the reason I am running is NOT to please them, but for a large contingent of people who are CDS citizens, who have equal rights under the law, who feel the entrenched elite do NOT speak for them, who feel the entrenched elite are behaving contrary to the spirit of CDS. My mention of Ulrika and our history at the beginning of this was not my own idea, but the reflection of citizens who feel the entrenched elite are demonstrating the same sense of entitlement Ulrika had.

My goals are to fix the land management loopholes, demand a higher standard of officials to not allow abuse of public lands for private feuds or favors, and also further the desires of CDS to expand while protecting her stability.

Thank you.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Bagheera's position statement for Office of Chancellor

Post by Rosie Gray »

Bagheera wrote:

(Calli had wanted everything said to be provable facts, so I have included an example that is verifiable for each of my points.)

* recently - May 4th, the transfer of land abandoned to Rudeen to the current Chancellor, Pat, in NFS 7 minutes after abandonment and then subsequently transferred to Rosie Gray 7 minutes later. There may be a reasonable explanation for this but by looking at the records, it has the appearance of land that upon abandonment, SHOULD have been put for sale on the open market by the Chancellor, but was grabbed instead by the Chancellor, who had no intention of keeping it, but passed it on to a 3rd party.

Pat explained this here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 753#p23753.

Bagheera wrote:

* the banning of individuals through estate management tools that completely bypass our judicial system. The banning that should be done is for griefers and freeloaders - when one finds a warren of a few thousand prims stashed high above public land by individuals/groups - then the protection is to ban the instigators of that kind of abuse. Rosie banned a friend of Cleo’s for bumping Andromeda on a skatebord. Banning someone for bumping against someone with a skateboard once should NOT result in an estate management ban, especially when the victim and the skateboarder worked it out later. As Gwyn has pointed out, even Ulrika isn’t banned from CDS lands, she just can’t be a citizen. The skateboarder actually had bought into CDS but decided it would be better to leave than fight for the right to stay. That doesn’t make what happened right.

So yes, let's have some FACTS.
1) I did not ban the offending avatar you are referring to, Anna did.
2) He was not banned for bumping into someone with a skateboard, he was banned because he was using a griefer tool on me - a particularly nasty griefer rape tool with aggressive gesture that attached his avatar to mine and spewed forth such vile language in audio that I would not repeat it. I was extremely shocked and shaken by this griefer tool. His avatar was stuck on mine and I could not remove him. He did the same thing to Andromeda. Are you defending this outrageous behaviour?

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Rosie Gray wrote:

So yes, let's have some FACTS.
1) I did not ban the offending avatar you are referring to, Anna did.
2) He was not banned for bumping into someone with a skateboard, he was banned because he was using a griefer tool on me - a particularly nasty griefer rape tool with aggressive gesture that attached his avatar to mine and spewed forth such vile language in audio that I would not repeat it. I was extremely shocked and shaken by this griefer tool. His avatar was stuck on mine and I could not remove him. He did the same thing to Andromeda. Are you defending this outrageous behaviour?

I was misinformed as I was told you did the banning - however, this absolutely proves the problem I am talking about - someone was banned by the arbitrary decision of an estate manager who acted as judge, jury and executioner. I am not defending the act of the avatar. I am saying two things 1) we have a court system & 2) banning through estate management is very severe, can be done at the sole discretion of a single person with land management powers and there are no proper records kept. Defending someone's right to due process is NOT the same thing as condoning their behavior. Not the same thing at all.

As for the nature of the attack, from Andromeda's account, I did not realize the severity of what was done. It did not disturb Andromeda as it seems to have done you. I was told he did "something bothersome" with his skateboard. At the very least, records should be kept when an estate ban happens.

Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

Anna banned Tyrant Laffer for sexually assaulting a citizen. I recollect that he was offered the right to appeal. I believe he ignored this right or declined. Cleo, however did challenge the ban on his behalf. The banning was hardly as Bagheera stated, an

arbitrary decision of an estate manager who acted as judge, jury and executioner

In my opinion the banning was warranted, justified and fitting.

I am sure any of us would expect an EM to act promptly to protect the sim or its citizens. There is nothing arbitrary about protecting citizens and punishing non-citizens who come her to wreak havoc and assault our citizens.

Mind I think this happened over three years ago! I find it hard to believe this event is still being spoken of. Once again I wonder how misinformation about this incident creeps into our current dialogue.

Citizen
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Tor was NOT there !!!

I was there...

THE FIRST THING THAT HAPPENED WAS THAT ROSIE GRAY REZZED A GRIEFING OBJECT ! ON A VISITOR!

WHILE SHE WAS A RA member, Estate manager ..............working for you Tor!

After Rosie knew she got caught griefing a visitor to CDS.... ty came back and used a griefing tool of his own, yes.. but to Andromeda, who didn't care...
the whole " how horrible" was a coverup IMHO to keep rosie out of trouble.. and cover up the truth. ROSIE GRAY IS A GRIEFER. she used her EM tools to then try to get rid of him who she griefed, and exhonerate herself.. that's what I saw happen...

her post is not true .. AGAIN. she distorts this to protect herself..

Tor you only know what people told you .. I was there and I saw it all.

Cleo
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Cleo only you would defend a non-citizen who used a violent rape griefer tool on a citizen. This speaks volumes about your integrity and character.

~ Tommy Douglas
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Rosie YOU REZZED A VIOLENT TORNADO.. WHICH KILLS PEOPLE...

AND YOU DID IT FIRST...

YOU LIED.

I am not defending anyone .. but what he did was preceeded by what you KNOW you did.. tell the truth.. please, think about your own integrity and character!
mines intact

Cleo
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Cleo, I rezzed a tornado that picks up an avatar, spins them around a bit, and deposits them again in another corner of the sim. I did this because your friend, gouded by you, was behaving in an obnoxious way, knocking me and Anna around with his skateboard. This in no way compares with a violent rape griefing tool. I would invite anyone to witness your friend using his rape tool on you without any warning, and the tornado on me that picks you up and spins you around, and they can judge for themselves what is a little bit of a lesson to an arrogant stupid young man and what is a violent sexual attack on a citizen.

And for witnesses, Anna was there too - she's the one who banned him.

~ Tommy Douglas
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Tor Karlsvalt wrote:

Anna banned Tyrant Laffer for sexually assaulting a citizen...Mind I think this happened over three years ago! I find it hard to believe this event is still being spoken of. Once again I wonder how misinformation about this incident creeps into our current dialogue.

Well, Tor, it was Andromeda who brought it up with me. Our conversation began with a discussion about Ulrika. I was repeating to her what Gwyn had said that even Ulrika wasn't banned, just couldn't be a resident.. and she countered that she knew of an avatar who was outright banned and we both were trying to get to the bottom of what actually happened.

Last edited by Bagheera on Sat May 10, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Tor says: I am sure any of us would expect an EM to act promptly to protect the sim or its citizens. There is nothing arbitrary about protecting citizens and punishing non-citizens who come her to wreak havoc and assault our citizens.

tyrant was NOT here to wreak havoc, he was our guest, he was skateboarding as we looked for land to buy.. that is the REAL truth.. rosie didn't want us buying land in CDS....and you know what you told me about that too tor.

so tor, did you train your EMs to go round with illegal griefing tools called tornados to use on visitor,s to keep people from wanting to live in CDS?

Yes the tool rosie used was illegal, not just in CDS but in LL.

She should have been held accountable, the rest is a big coverup from what I can tell.

And tyrant was skateboarding FIRST .. they walked up on him and surrounded us . he didn't knock her around .. I saw ONE time when he may have bumped her.. but not on purpose... Rosie knows what she did.. this arguing about it is silly .. She knows..

Here is what the tornado griefing tool did to tyrant. He was innocently skateboarding when rosie stood infront of him... she said he bumped her, but I don't know if he did or not, the point is, it couldn't have been more than one time.. and he was skateboarding before she walked on the sidewalk .. She then rezzed a big swirly round thing that covered him up ... Froze him .. he imed me all upset ... and then what C did was turn on control alt t,..... and edit it to saw that it definitely was rosies... he took a screenshot... The thing is .. we have proof that rosie did this ! she knows she did..

Cleo
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Rosie Gray wrote:

Cleo, I rezzed a tornado that picks up an avatar, spins them around a bit, and deposits them again in another corner of the sim. I did this because your friend, gouded by you, was behaving in an obnoxious way, knocking me and Anna around with his skateboard.
This in no way compares with a violent rape griefing tool. I would invite anyone to witness your friend using his rape tool on you without any warning, and the tornado on me that picks you up and spins you around, and they can judge for themselves what is a little bit of a lesson to an arrogant stupid young man and what is a violent sexual attack on a citizen.

And for witnesses, Anna was there too - she's the one who banned him.

Thank you for admitting more of the truth.. YOU rezzed an illegal griefing object as your duty as an EM while working for Tor. because you were on a sidewalk and someone accidentally ran into you with a skateboard !

Is that how Tor trained you to deal with CDS visitors. Id like to see the law that says a government official can rezz griefing objects on visitors who bump them. Where do you have the right in the law to "teach visitors a little bit of a lesson" by rezzing illegal objects on them..

I didn't ever read the law that gives government officials that duty or right.. to break the CDS law and LL toss in order to "teach visitors lessons" .

I IN NO WAY CONDONED WHAT TYRANT DID IN RESPONSE TO YOUR GRIEFING HIM ! NOT EVER!

The person tyrant griefed was not you, Rosie, as you stated in your post... it was indeed Andromeda ! No one ever griefed YOU that day. You were the griefer.

Cleo
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Well, drama besides — and the lack of proper procedure will, in almost all these cases, never clarify who is right and who is wrong, since naturally each party will have their own perception of truth — I endorse Bagheera's candidacy to Chancellor.

But I also wish that, if she gets elected, she gets a fair chance of actually exercising her role as Chancellor. This will start, hopefully, by removing all privileges and powers of anybody in the Estate Manager role and the several roles of groups holding land in the CDS, and then, after the election, an appointment and assignment of a new staff to aid the Chancellor. This should happen no matter who is Chancellor, of course, but I specifically point this out because it was what happened to Bagheera before.

Please note that, no matter how close you're friends with the current Chancellor, your 'power' as a 'grandfathered' estate manager or land group owner puts the current Chancellor in jeopardy. The Chancellor is actually responsible for the acts of those who hold 'powers' over land in the CDS; how can he or she take responsibility over acts of those who were never elected nor appointed by the Chancellor, but who nevertheless use (and abuse) such powers without the Chancellor's consent?

Let me give you my personal example. Until very recently, because I have a huge number of groups (who hasn't), I hadn't noticed that I was part of the 'Land Verwaltung' and 'Colonia Nova' groups, both of which have a degree of land management powers for NFS and CN, respectively. Why? Who appointed me as their Janitor? I was group member of both because at some point I helped to build those regions (or, rather, to add a few scripts — I'm no builder). Before there was a Chancellor, it was, strangely enough, the responsibility of the RA members to act as Janitors (to remove stray prims and the like). Then, years later, these 'powers' came in very usefully when fixing a Fachwerk for someone, I think — I can't recall it. But I found it so strange that I still had those 'powers'!

With time, my memory fades... now imagine that, by mistake, I deleted something on public land in NFS or CN. What would have happened? Who would be held responsible? It would be a silly mistake and of course I could apologise, but people would naturally ask why I was in those groups in the first place? Who do I report to, if I abuse such powers? You can see how this starts. For instance, I believe that many issues surrounding an 'abuse' of public land actually come from mistakenly attributed roles in group management; people might get access to one of those groups, temporarily, to set up something for an event, then forget that they're still in the group, and, by an honest mistake, add prims to public land which they never intended to do in the first place... and then all drama breaks out...

So, fixing all those groups and roles is certainly a priority. I fear mistakes more than malice. Only by having the next Chancellor going through all these groups and roles, and kicking whoever is in them, can we ensure a correct control over land, and hold just one person responsible for what happens regarding land issues — but also make sure they're not 'backstabbed' while in office because there are people outside their control who have powers they should never had in the first place!

There is an erroneous view that power in the land management tools is something that is 'earned' by actively participating in the community. There is no such thing in the CDS. It might be the case in other communities, but not ours.

So, thanks, Bagheera, for being brave enough to run again :)

(And yes, I voluntarily dropped the two groups that I was wrongly in — only recently, as said, and I apologise for not having it done much, much earlier — but haven't checked if anyone has granted me any rights elsewhere. If so, please remove me from any such groups and roles ASAP!)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

... and that quote of Ulrika is scary.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

Thank you for admitting more of the truth.. YOU rezzed an illegal griefing object as your duty as an EM while working for Tor. because you were on a sidewalk and someone accidentally ran into you with a skateboard !

You are the liar Cleopatra. I admit what I did, as I was provoked beyond tolerance by your aggressive sexist violent abusive friend. He did more than bump into us 'by accident'. He did it repeatedly and on purpose and used insulting language at the same time. Then he use a violent rape griefer tool on Andromeda first, and then on me. I remember it extremely well as it is the single worst thing that has every happened to me in Second Life.

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

I IN NO WAY CONDONED WHAT TYRANT DID IN RESPONSE TO YOUR GRIEFING HIM ! NOT EVER!

You are a liar CLEOPATRA. You laughed and called it 'silly'. And you goaded him on.

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

The person tyrant griefed was not you, Rosie, as you stated in your post... it was indeed Andromeda ! No one ever griefed YOU that day. You were the griefer.

Again you lie and you know very well that he used it on me. That is when Anna banned him, to get him off me. You were there and YOU DID SEE THAT.

~ Tommy Douglas
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I apologize to Bagheera for this thread going off course, but I cannot sit back and let these lies about me be told.

~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “Candidates' Platforms”