Completely insane idea: new region for the 10th anniversary!

discussions related to planning the 10th Anniversary of CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Completely insane idea: new region for the 10th annivers

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Callipygian wrote:

Currently on the books is:

CDSL 16-02 New Sim Competition Act

1. The Executive shall set aside funds to purchase a new sim but shall not purchase the sim until directed by the RA.
2. The New Sim shall be Bavarian-themed, as is Neufreistadt. There shall be a design competition for specific Sim design. Citizens who wish to submit a plan shall submit a plan to the RA. Such plans shall be submitted by March 31, 2012,
3. The RA shall then consider the plans and vote on them. The plan that receives the most support shall be implemented by the Executive, who shall purchase a Sim and coordinate with the New Guild for that purpose.
Passed 3 March 2012

While I recall some of the discussion about this, including it having a university I think, I have no idea if this competition was actually held, or if there are plans somewhere resulting from it. Since it specifies a theme RA would probably need to address this law, whether to amend or repeal it, before creating any new sim-purchase legislation or competitions to choose a theme.

Calli

I would like to respectfully request that the RA consider, as a matter of high priority at its next meeting on Saturday 10 May, how to adapt this bill so that we can move swiftly to design and purchase a new sim for the CDS once the elections are over with?

The Bill, in my view, needs to address the date by which such plan should be submitted, whether the new sim is placed to the East or West of Neufreistadt and whether the Guild (which is not the same as 'the New Guild') should have a formal role in the process.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Timo Gufler
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Timo Gufler »

It's bit surprising, that the law specifies the theme so strictly. It would be more flexible, if the decision about it was made by RA or even the guild. If the new sim is be placed west from the NFS, it will be bordered by Monastery and Neufreistadt sims, that should be taken into account. Also, according to the NFS covenant, the region is (or should be) divided into Alpine European (the valley) and Medieval Germanic (inner city) styles.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Timo, the law follows the 2008 General Masterplan (which was never revoked, so we ought to assume it's still valid).

More info here: http://masterplan.slcds.info/2008/06/11 ... xpansions/

According to the rules established in the General Masterplan (GMP), the landmass of the CDS is divided into 'themed clusters'. The RA only decides which region inside a cluster is to be built next and what the next cluster (besides the three clusters we already have) ought to be.

As you can see, the West Neufreistadt region ought to be Middle-European (i.e. just like Neufreistadt). The region westwards of West Neufreistadt would be part of a 'connection cluster' towards Cluster 5, which, as yet, has no theme. Connection clusters might be 'transitional'; so, for instance, Cluster 5 is, say, themed to look like Mars, then the transition region might have Fachwerks on a red desert :)

However, I'm fine in clarifying this on a separate thread (this one is for the 10th anniversary region :-) )

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Patroklus Murakami wrote:

I would like to respectfully request that the RA consider, as a matter of high priority at its next meeting on Saturday 10 May, how to adapt this bill so that we can move swiftly to design and purchase a new sim for the CDS once the elections are over with?

The Bill, in my view, needs to address the date by which such plan should be submitted, whether the new sim is placed to the East or West of Neufreistadt and whether the Guild (which is not the same as 'the New Guild') should have a formal role in the process.

You're right. This ought to be top priority now. Here is my proposal to that effect: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4621

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Timo Gufler
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Timo Gufler »

Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

However, I'm fine in clarifying this on a separate thread (this one is for the 10th anniversary region :-) )

A separate thread started.

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4625

Return to “10th Anniversary Planning”