Completely insane idea: new region for the 10th anniversary!

discussions related to planning the 10th Anniversary of CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Completely insane idea: new region for the 10th anniversary!

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Today it's a full moon, and a lunar eclipse, too. You know where the word "lunacy" comes from, right? On this night where wolves howl desperately, and maniacs locked away in mental institutions start to get frenzy, I just came up with a completely insane, lunatic idea!

But who knows, perhaps some of you might enjoy discussing it?

In the olden days of the CDS, when I was young and reckless, instead of sedate and lethargic, I was an 'aggressive expansionist'. My goal was to get at the very least one new region per year (meaning that we would be at least twice the size as we are today, and probably bankrupt :) ), and that was just with Government-sponsored funding; I was hoping that private development (like we had with the Monastery back then!) would an additional region on top of that! This would mean that by now we would be about the size of Caledon. Woot! My insanity had no limits...

Now I consider myself wiser, but not much wiser. In fact, while sleeping over the subject, I thought: 'What earth-shattering event could we host for the 10th Anniversary?' After all, it's such an extraordinary occasion! We should open up our purses and invest in this one-of-a-kind event!

And then it hit me: we ought to do what LL (and others) do to celebrate our anniversary: create a 'Democracy Fair'. Get a whole region with some outstanding buildings, a stage area for events, booths with commemorative souvenirs, a 'History Area' showing things from our past (like we had on the SL10B booth). Think big!

So, how much would that us set back? Buying a whole new region and setting aside some 3 months of rent (one for building, two for showing off). That would set us back half a million Linden dollars. But what would we get in return?

• A central area, perhaps half the size of the region, for the 'Government' exhibit. There would be a public contest to offer designs, and the citizens would select the most crazy idea. We would be free of the constraints of themes — I always wanted to have a 'Galactic Capital' futuristic theme (aye, it once used to be part of the Masterplan), but of course that would just be one of many possible ideas. Surreal, futuristic, historical — any theme would be acceptable, any theme would be voted upon. There would be, obviously, a set of requirements:

• A big stage area, to host events. Most would be music, but I also expect some discussion/presentations. Maybe we could persuade VS to host one or two sessions on the 'Democracy Fair'

• Some kind of meeting place for the RA (and eventually Exec and SC as well). For the benefit of visitors, we would host the regular meetings on the Fair region. I imagine cool panels, indicating who is next in turn to speak, and green/red lights in front of each RA member to show how they voted. These would be 'experiments in democracy tools' — crazy ideas which we would never implement — but the RA sessions would be 'real'.

• A 'museum' area, with a guided tour 'bot (like the Owl), explaining people about the 10 years of history of the CDS.

• Some kind of area where there would be creative art (interactive, pictures, etc.) from citizens, showing their feelings about the CDS and the anniversary (this could be tied with the gardens and other more decorative spaces)

• A 'recruitment' area... this would be staffed by CDS volunteers to explain how people can join. It could have a military look. Or something silly and crazy like that. But the provided information would be real! 'Join the CDS NOW! The CDS needs YOU! Your vote counts!' (wait, scratch the last one, that was used on my campaign hehe)

• An exhibition area. You'll see what is going to be exhibited there (see below)

• Public gardens, chill-out zones, hidden areas for people to find (like we have in NFS and CN). This could also host the above-mentioned art exhibit. But it could also host a picture contest with prizes! (see below)

• Then we would have 'Citizen Booths'. I made some calculations, and, even accounting for public roads and the like, I think that we could offer something like 200 sq. m. for every citizen to place whatever they wished — shops, information, whatever. I can also imagine that people would be allowed to join parcels together and thus build a larger booth — imagine that the AM crowd gets together and creates something evocative of their lovely region. There would be a ballot system of some sort to assign parcels for each member, and some way for them to announce that they will join parcels and thus face the ballot together.

• I would not be against having 'external' booths. For instance, VS certainly deserves one. But I would be fine with selling/renting booths to non-citizens who believe there would be enough traffic to warrant some sales. This, obviously, after discussing what's acceptable and what is not (note that CDS merchants and content creators would be allowed so promote and sell their wares on their own Citizen Booths).

I mentioned the picture contest because... I would like to allow everybody in SL to participate by voting. So, there would be a place where people would drop their pictures, they would be on display, and anyone could vote. This could happen over the whole two months, i.e. one voting per week. More creative people than me might suggest other ideas — thematic displays, showing off one's avatars, a building contest, whatever — that get people to participate and, most important, let them vote. The prizes? Maybe offering a discount on future parcels. Or, well, they could really earn some L$ (since this requires some skill, it's not seen as 'gambling' by LL, but merely a 'skill game with prizes'). Or vouchers to shop with the CDS merchants. We'd need to budget for this.

Obviously this would also mean registering ourselves as making part of the official Linden Winter Holiday Celebrations. We would also desperately try to invite former CDSers and let them have a 'round table of founders' — where they talk about their memories of the early days of the CDS. Some, of course, will be impossible to reach. We should also have a small spot with a memorial to Kendra. And I'd certainly love to invite Haney Linden and possibly Robin Linden too. Haney is possibly reachable through Robin; I can imagine they keep in touch. And sure, we might invite Philip Rosedale (if he's not too busy!) and some current-generation Lindens as well. I mean, Ebbe Altberg is supposed to be all for community. The worst they can say is 'no, thank you'.

Soooo.... how would this be funded? :)

Obviously we shouldn't simply ruin our budget and empty the bank account — Sudane would get a fatal heart attack (if she managed to read up to this point and hasn't collapsed yet!). My proposal is to get a variant of the bonds system we had to raise money for Colonia Nova, and, I think, Alpine Meadows. Naturally enough, if you haven't yet figured it out, this is a devious plan of mine to get us another region :) I definitely don't want to return the region to Linden Lab afterwards (unless there really isn't another option!). Although banking is disallowed these days, and so we cannot offer bonds at an interest, we certainly can pool money together from citizens and use it to buy the region and pay the first months of tier. What will citizens get in return? Free land on the region, once the Democracy Fair is over. Or a substantial discount (if citizens, after all, want bigger parcels, costing more than what they have already 'donated' towards Democracy Fair — they'd pay the difference).

You might have noticed that something is missing...! Oh yes: we obviously need a plan for the post-Fair building! And what could be better than a huge Democracy Fair where not only citizens, but all visitors, could appreciate the proposals (we would have a special area saying 'This is what this region might look like after the Fair is over!'), the planning, the in-world discussions... and probably get encouraged to 'invest' in a future parcel as well. This is the purpose of the 'exhibition area'.

(I'm not stuck with the 'Democracy Fair' name; it's just that 'CDS Fair' does not mean anything to most of the grid; we need some kind of catching name, which has some connection to us. Democracy Celebration Grounds; Freedom Fair... whatever! To be discussed!)

Crazy? Insane? Lunacy? Oh YES!

But... let's do it nevertheless; let's wow the Metaverse! :)

(Siren sounds. A white van stops after some squeals and the smell of smoke. Four tough guys in white coveralls exit the van, quickly approach Gwyn, and forcefully drag her towards the waiting vehicle. Kicking, screaming, and drooling, her eyes spinning wildly in their sockets, she howls: 'But it would be soooo fuuuuuuun....' The van door closes. The siren gets turned on again. More wheels squealing, the van disappears in the night at a fast speed, destination unknown.

It is full Moon. The round lunar orb, today, is bloody. Scientists say it's because of the eclipse. But is it really?...

HooooooOWWWWWWWLLLLLLL....)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Completely insane idea: new region for the 10th annivers

Post by Rosie Gray »

Lol, Gwyn, you do have a flair for the dramatic! Lots to think about in your proposal, but off the cuff I'd say it's really worth considering. Cheers! :D

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

I think many have already been talking of a new sim. I think most seem to agree, now at least, that we should build NFS West and fill in the "hole" behind Monastery. One thing I would like to see would be some sort of public ski lodge and ski run / hiking trail with the general theme similar to the Valley. I think the lodge area could definitely be used as a venue for anniversary plans and future events of all kinds. (Tho we already have a number of fine venues.) A fair area might be a good idea also and could double as a sandbox.

Citizen
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Currently on the books is:

CDSL 16-02 New Sim Competition Act

1. The Executive shall set aside funds to purchase a new sim but shall not purchase the sim until directed by the RA.
2. The New Sim shall be Bavarian-themed, as is Neufreistadt. There shall be a design competition for specific Sim design. Citizens who wish to submit a plan shall submit a plan to the RA. Such plans shall be submitted by March 31, 2012,
3. The RA shall then consider the plans and vote on them. The plan that receives the most support shall be implemented by the Executive, who shall purchase a Sim and coordinate with the New Guild for that purpose.
Passed 3 March 2012

While I recall some of the discussion about this, including it having a university I think, I have no idea if this competition was actually held, or if there are plans somewhere resulting from it. Since it specifies a theme RA would probably need to address this law, whether to amend or repeal it, before creating any new sim-purchase legislation or competitions to choose a theme.

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Garnet Psaltery »

So much to digest! Very exciting, Gwyn.

Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

Wow, there it is on the books. I remember this was about when I had to take a much needed mini rest from active politics in CDS. I remember CDS had come off a period of new interest in CDS that waned precipitously soon afterward. Perhaps the RA could renew this law as it seems to have lapsed through dis use.

Citizen
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Callipygian wrote:

Currently on the books is:

CDSL 16-02 New Sim Competition Act

1. The Executive shall set aside funds to purchase a new sim but shall not purchase the sim until directed by the RA.
2. The New Sim shall be Bavarian-themed, as is Neufreistadt. There shall be a design competition for specific Sim design. Citizens who wish to submit a plan shall submit a plan to the RA. Such plans shall be submitted by March 31, 2012,
3. The RA shall then consider the plans and vote on them. The plan that receives the most support shall be implemented by the Executive, who shall purchase a Sim and coordinate with the New Guild for that purpose.
Passed 3 March 2012

While I recall some of the discussion about this, including it having a university I think, I have no idea if this competition was actually held, or if there are plans somewhere resulting from it. Since it specifies a theme RA would probably need to address this law, whether to amend or repeal it, before creating any new sim-purchase legislation or competitions to choose a theme.

Calli

Thanks for finding that law Calli. As I recall we started on the Bavarian-themed designs with several ideas being discussed. Beathan had initially drafted an idea that included a university, but then realized that it was his idea for NFS West (connecting Monastery and NFS), rather than NFS East which was what the sim was to be. Those interested can review the thread here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... ast#p19748.

~ Tommy Douglas
Timo Gufler
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Timo Gufler »

Nice discussion above! I am not sure, how many of you have noticed, that we have a land shortage in the CDS at moment. If you would like to move here, get more land or just move inside the confederation, you are blocked by lack of free land. In my opinion this is an unbearable situation and we have to start the expansion soon, but still plan it well!

About four years have passed since the Monastery sim was added. What have we been doing after that? Concentrating on politics and fighting? In my opinion, expansion could unite the citizens, if done the right way.

I believe, that NFS West would be filled by new settlers quickly and soon we could start planning a next sim. It might be even a time for a new theme in addition to the Bavarian, Alpine and Roman. Doesn't that sound exciting?

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Timo Gufler wrote:

It might be even a time for a new theme in addition to the Bavarian, Alpine and Roman. Doesn't that sound exciting?

We do have a new theme, Timo! We have Bavarian, Alpine, Roman and Tuscan - Locus Amoenus was changed to the Tuscany theme for its revitalization.

~ Tommy Douglas
Timo Gufler
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Timo Gufler »

Rosie Gray wrote:

We do have a new theme, Timo! We have Bavarian, Alpine, Roman and Tuscan - Locus Amoenus was changed to the Tuscany theme for its revitalization.

Thanks for the correction, Rosie. The reorganization of LA has resulted a beautiful new look. Yes, it's slightly different from CN. Maybe we could call Tuscan and Roman themes as Italian themes here. :)

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Heh. I'm glad that some of you didn't find me TOO crazy! :)

As soon as our LRA gets her new Internet access installed, I'll be happy to suggest that we place into the agenda to vote an extension of the CDSL 16-02 New Sim Competition Act.

In the mean time, I would seriously consider that we add a new subforum just for planning the 10th Anniversary.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Cleo has looked this insanity up in the DSM V..

Diagnosis: "yes, let's do it !"

I especially like the "recruitment area idea"!

and linking to Anzere...

Cleo
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

Heh. I'm glad that some of you didn't find me TOO crazy! :)

As soon as our LRA gets her new Internet access installed, I'll be happy to suggest that we place into the agenda to vote an extension of the CDSL 16-02 New Sim Competition Act.

In the mean time, I would seriously consider that we add a new subforum just for planning the 10th Anniversary.

I've created a subforum in Discussions for this. :)

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

I think that we don't even have to do the bonds to do this ! We will be buying a new sim anyway. So it's only the balance of the three months of tier. That is way under 1000 us dollars and the last I heard we have accumulated and sitting in the bank in excess of $ 15,000 us dollars ?? Not sure if that is exactly the balance atm , perhaps Sudane can say. Is the money Sudanes personal money if it is then . Ooops. I'm way off base. But if it's the cds money. .. I cannot think of anything better to spend less than 1/10 of it on.. I am sure it will be repaid many times over in the long run. No bonds. Just do it !

Cleo
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Moved this thread to the newly-created forum for discussing the 10th anniversary celebrations. Thanks Calli!

Return to “10th Anniversary Planning”