Second debate April 5 pt 2

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Second debate April 5 pt 2

Post by Callipygian »

[10:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whew. It's now time for the questions from the audience.
[10:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Calli will type the first question from the audicence,
[10:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: and then each of you will have 2 minutes to answer
[10:47] Callipygian Christensen: From Trebor: Every election the candidates, whether RA or Chancellor are full of great ideas and promises of accomplishing things. Than when the elections are over and they didn't win they seem to ride off in the sunset and are no where to be found.
Q.What will you do if you don't win this election?
[10:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bagheera will answer first, whenever you're ready, Bagheera...
[10:48] Bagheera Kristan: ah lol, I talked about this yesterday. What is sorely needed is someplace for prospective chancellors and anyone who wants to learn about sim management and being a leader of a virtual group can learn from others
[10:48] Bagheera Kristan: I intend to - hope to - start some workshops and enlist the help of other former chancellors and other experts
[10:48] Bagheera Kristan: to begin to create such a space
[10:48] Bagheera Kristan: done
[10:49] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Bagheera!
[10:49] Patroklus: i was a social democrat once, now i'm more dead centre
[10:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's Pat's turn, whenever you're ready!
[10:49] Patroklus: i think that there is a problem with our land sales
[10:49] Pat (patroklus.murakami): sorry
[10:49] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: restarting timer.... hehe
[10:49] Patroklus: i'm thinking of taking up sailing
[10:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: gon ahead pat
[10:49] Patroklus: so... you'll still see me. I'll find something to do to contribute
[10:50] Pat (patroklus.murakami): start again!
[10:50] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i'll still be around
i haven't spent as much time in CDS recently as i used to
but i've got back into the things i enjoy
i'm thinking of taking up sailing
so... you'll still see me. I'll find something to do to contribute
[10:50] Pat (patroklus.murakami): in the past i have helped out with legislation
[10:50] Pat (patroklus.murakami): archived transcripts for RA meetings
[10:50] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and kept our code of laws and constituion up to date
[10:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i'm good at doing those kind of texty, backroom things that preserve our history
[10:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so i'll try to do more of that if i'm not successful
[10:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and, if there's a place for me in helping with the celebrations
[10:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): that woudl be good too
[10:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[10:51] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Quite in time, even with the hiccups, but I think you got fair time to sort it out...
[10:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks Pat!
[10:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry's turn now, whenever you're ready Jerry...
[10:52] JerryDon Lane: I am going nowhere. If I lose, I will throw a huge "I lost this stuff" party, go home and snuggle with Catz and begin looking at the June elections. I will also offer my support to whomever wins should I not. I am still a citizen in a free representative democracy and I will actively participate in my government.
[10:53] JerryDon Lane: I will encourage others to participate in our democracy...I will attend RA meetings and SC meeting and offer my input
[10:54] JerryDon Lane: There is MUCH an average citizen can do to further democracy because it is never only about the government
[10:54] JerryDon Lane: Done
[10:54] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Jerry!
[10:55] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok... this first question went well, I think
[10:55] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Calli will type the next question out, please....
[10:55] Callipygian Christensen: From Trebor: We have many forums of communication inworld and online. Not everyone reads the forums and not everyone is inworld often to receive group notices.
Q.What are we to do if we already provide these means of communication and people still complain that they didn't know something or weren't aware of this or that?
[10:55] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks Calli! — and now mmmh
[10:56] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Yes, it's Pat first this time....
[10:56] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So please, Pat, go ahead!
[10:56] Pat (patroklus.murakami): well, communication is a two way street!
[10:56] Pat (patroklus.murakami): bothparties bear some responsiblity for successful comms in my view
[10:56] Pat (patroklus.murakami): but we can use multiple channels to reach people
[10:57] Pat (patroklus.murakami): the ones mentioned
[10:57] Pat (patroklus.murakami): also inworld meetings
[10:57] Pat (patroklus.murakami): twitter, facebook, plurk
[10:57] Pat (patroklus.murakami): more use of our google calendar (did u know we have one?)
[10:57] JerryDon Lane: The Chancellor's office must always keep a communication channel open between that office and the citizenry....This can be accomplished via referendums and meetings both public and private.
[10:57] JerryDon Lane: Sorry
[10:57] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Shhh Jerry not yet
[10:57] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ppl will also tend to be interested if we have somethign interesting to tell them
[10:58] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so let's have lots to say about events that will bring them inworld to be with us
[10:58] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[10:58] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Pat :)
[10:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn scolds Jerry for speaking out of turn, lol
[10:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn: But now it IS your turn, Jerry, so please go ahead!
[10:59] JerryDon Lane: I'm sorry Pat, I hit the wrong button
[10:59] Pat (patroklus.murakami): np:)
[10:59] JerryDon Lane: And so the people can read what I posted during your time
[11:00] JerryDon Lane: But to sum it up, it's all about being open and making yourself available and approachable to the public
[11:00] JerryDon Lane: I believe organization can be brought into the office to handle it all in CDS
[11:00] JerryDon Lane: Done
[11:00] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Jerry!
[11:01] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's Bagheera's turn, so, Bags, please go ahead when you're ready!
[11:01] Bagheera Kristan: Well, I encountered this complaint during my term - as others in the government have said - there is only so much you can do. However, when I received the complaint I did seek out ways to accommodate the issue going forward.
[11:01] Bagheera Kristan: That said, it is easy to get too scattered. If one ensures there is a single place that will contain everything, then that can at least remain grounded. Too often, you can see in our records false starts where someone took up casting a wider net but wasn’t able to maintain it.
[11:02] Bagheera Kristan: I would make better use of the Executive board of our forums to send out announcements and link a calendar into the forums that all could access and maintain easily. I would make it clearer from our home page exactly where the core information could be found.
[11:02] Bagheera Kristan: I would also hold town hall meetings and post the transcripts as I did before, all in that core place. so that citizens could be part of the discussion.
[11:02] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[11:02] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much, Bagheera!
[11:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: We have another question for the candidates — Calli will type it out :)
[11:03] Callipygian Christensen: From Rosie: Q. Since there has been considerable past experience that can be drawn on within our citizenry, what will your approach and reception be to previous Chancellor's providing advice in the form of written documents of past practices and jobs to be done, and from experienced EM's who might offer their advice and help if you are elected?
[11:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry, you'll be the first to answer
[11:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So please go ahead!
[11:04] JerryDon Lane: Well, I think I would be a fool not to listen to experience
[11:04] JerryDon Lane: I will be open to ALL input from previous Chancellores and EMs
[11:05] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs)
[11:05] JerryDon Lane: There really isn't mush more to say about that.......Yes, I will tap into that resource
[11:06] JerryDon Lane: Done
[11:06] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Jerry :)
[11:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it will be Bagheera's turn to answer the question. So, whenever you're ready, please go ahead!
[11:06] Bagheera Kristan: First, I would be appreciative.
[11:07] Bagheera Kristan: Next, in all things, I always listen.
[11:07] Bagheera Kristan: Always.
[11:07] Bagheera Kristan: Then, I would do what I typically do in everything; I do my own research to understand better what I have been told and use the mix of information and expertise to make decision that served the best interests of the most people going forward.
[11:07] Bagheera Kristan: and I would always be appreciative that someone shared their time and expertise, whether I agreed or not.
[11:08] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[11:08] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:08] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Bagheera :))
[11:08] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And now it's Pat's turn, so please go ahead wheneer you're ready
[11:08] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i can recall seven chancellors so far. i might have missed one or two
i'd like to approach all of them to pick their brains
and get them involved
some are still very active
others less so
but i think our 10th anniversary will be a good time to get a lot of 'old timers' reengaged
they can tell us what it was like in the old days
and help with recovering and celebrating our history
i think bags idea of bringing this all together in one place so we have a guide for future chancellors
i know that tor has done a hell of a lot of work to pull this together already
[11:09] Pat (patroklus.murakami): should have said 'bags idea is a good one'!
[11:10] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and i would need to talk to the EMs and LMs straight away as they are expert in all the things a new chancellor needs to be able to know how to do
[11:10] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[11:10] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:10] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Pat!
[11:10] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Mmmh. Let me just check if we have gotten a new question in the mean time....
[11:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (last chance, guys — we still have some time for a few more questions)
[11:12] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well! I guess you're all happy with your knowledge about each of the candidates' platforms.
[11:12] Xuryon (csblmt7): i have question
[11:12] TC (tomcat.tackleberry) is offline.
[11:12] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Please send it to Calli, Xuryon!
[11:13] Gwyneth Llewelyn: ㋡
[11:13] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Just remember, it should be a question for *all* candidates to answer.
[11:15] Callipygian Christensen: Suddenly people have questions!
[11:15] Gwyneth Llewelyn: ha!
[11:15] Callipygian Christensen: ready for the first one Gwyn?
[11:15] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Please go ahead!
[11:16] Gwyneth Llewelyn: ... it seems like it's a tricky question.... :)
[11:17] Callipygian Christensen: little chat lag there
[11:17] Callipygian Christensen: From Xuryon: Q. How will newcomer be handled...i.e. if they are greeted less than favorably by other residents. to whom would complaint be lodged and how will it be handled...?
[11:17] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks Calli (and Xuryon for asking it!)
[11:17] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bagheera will answer first this time, so, please, go ahead, Bagheera!
[11:18] Bagheera Kristan: Well, as Chancellor, there is no official thing that could be done, however
[11:18] Bagheera Kristan: because I know many of the people in CDS, I would always make myself available to try to mediate and come to some understanding and/or try to find you people who were a bit friendly
[11:18] Bagheera Kristan: friendlier *
[11:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[11:19] Bagheera Kristan: I'm sure it would raise questions in the newcomers mind about CDS, but I also imagine many who come here already know some of how we work, so we could talk more about their expectations and I could guide them both in understanding and who else might help them.
[11:19] Bagheera Kristan: done
[11:19] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks, Bagheera!
[11:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's time for Pat to answer
[11:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Please go ahead, Pat!
[11:20] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ok
[11:20] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i think we should be welcoming to new people
we were all newbies once
i was a pain in the a** when i arrived
always asking questions
criticising the old timers
i was given time to find my feet
and i found people to work with and contribute constructively
everyone needs a little more latitude when they are new
but i dont' think 'greeted less favourably' is really a cause for action
you would need something a bit more specific if you want to make a case about that
and then it would be for the Scientific Council to deal with
The Chancellor is not there to solve citizen disputes
[11:21] Pat (patroklus.murakami): in my opinion
[11:21] Pat (patroklus.murakami): but the chancellor can set the tone
[11:21] Pat (patroklus.murakami): by being genuinely welcoming to new people
[11:21] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and insisting that the EMS and LMs and others who 'work' for the chancellor do likewise
[11:22] Pat (patroklus.murakami): but we all have to remember that this is all done voluntarily
[11:22] Pat (patroklus.murakami): no one is making money from the sims!
[11:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[11:22] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so we all give up some of our free time
[11:22] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and we should respect that when we make demands of people
[11:22] Pat (patroklus.murakami): that's all
[11:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks!
[11:22] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's Jerry's turn, so, please, go ahead!
[11:23] JerryDon Lane: Well, one would have to take that on a case by case basis....I can't imagine that the citizens of CDS would just be mean to a new resident. I know them. But as the Chancellor, I would, of course investigate and see if I can possibly resolve that situation.
[11:23] JerryDon Lane: Do please note in my platform however, that I propose a board called the Board of Public Service
[11:24] JerryDon Lane: This board is to hear citizen disputes
[11:24] JerryDon Lane: And perhaps there would be something the board could do to resolve one of those situations
[11:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[11:24] JerryDon Lane: Finished, thank you
[11:24] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you guys :)
[11:25] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, Calli will give us the next question, please....
[11:25] Callipygian Christensen: From Rosie Q.What would your response be to someone putting up a new building that is technically within covenants, but does not maintain the spirit of the theme and is extremely amateurish in its execution, and yet the owner refused to engage in conversation on how to improve it?
[11:26] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Pat answers first, I think...
[11:26] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Yes.... please go ahead, Pat!
[11:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ok
[11:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i would contact the owner separately and explain what i thought was the problem
[11:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i don't think a chancellor hsould make such decisions alone
[11:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): though
[11:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so i wouldl appont some advisers to help with these kind of cases
[11:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): there is a degree of subjectivity, especially when it's aesthetic rather than downright contravention
[11:28] Gwyneth Llewelyn: 30 secs left
[11:28] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i think that this is best done privately and sensitively
[11:28] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i think that putting it out in public lik jerry wants to
[11:28] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:28] Pat (patroklus.murakami): is a recipe for drama
[11:28] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[11:28] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That's it :) Thanks so much, Pat!
[11:29] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's Jerry's turn next. Please go ahead, Jerry!
[11:29] JerryDon Lane: It would go before the Planning and Zoning Commission in my administration. They will handle all problems of this nature.
[11:29] JerryDon Lane: No longer will those sort of problems be handles arbitrarily by a single person
[11:30] JerryDon Lane: This board will be charged with writing building codes to be approved by the RA and then they will be charged to enforce them
[11:30] JerryDon Lane: Disputes will be settled before the board which is fair to everyone
[11:30] JerryDon Lane: Thank you....Done
[11:31] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:31] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you! And sorry, I was a bit distracted myself....
[11:31] Gwyneth Llewelyn: It's now Bagheera's turn. Please go ahead, Bagheera, whenever you're readt....
[11:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: *ready
[11:32] Bagheera Kristan: I would take the problem back to the RA because our covenants are pretty clear and if this were to happen, our covenants need more clarity.
[11:32] Bagheera Kristan: I also think that people who are more experienced at building forget the rush of excitement a new builder feels about their first builds... and that rush is Also part of the SL experience, a very precious part. Oftentimes, a new builder will want to make changes that would improve their build so if they don’t, I would take a step back to find out what the underlying dynamic could be.
[11:32] Bagheera Kristan: I don’t think CDS is about building-perfection first. We are known for governance and community first. THAT is our reputation. So I would seek to find a balance that made for a better builder in the long run, one that is excited to be part of SL.. And also to preserve and improve our covenants.
[11:33] Bagheera Kristan: I do appreciate a good build and one that is not true drives me nuts, personally LOL so I know the anguish and frustration of looking at an amateur build causes LOL
[11:33] Bagheera Kristan: but I would want to maintain a fairness and equitable approach. Done
[11:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: thgank you!
[11:34] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn looks at the time
[11:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I think we can barely manage another last question, so to give time for the final, concluding comments
[11:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: as well as to get the anthem sung — yay
[11:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, please, Calli, if you have another question ready, go ahead :D
[11:35] Callipygian Christensen: From Cleo: Q. we used to have factions, now we dont have them required for voting.. what do you think are the pros and cons of this system.. especially as we grow.

factions, for or against. ?
[11:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks!
[11:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now mmmh
[11:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry answers first
[11:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So please go ahead :D
[11:36] JerryDon Lane: I am for political parties......I think they are healthy to a democratic system
[11:36] JerryDon Lane: If we want to call them factions, fine
[11:37] JerryDon Lane: But it's really just another method to get the average citizen involved in the political system
[11:37] JerryDon Lane: Perhaps they won't run for office, but they might just join your faction
[11:37] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[11:37] JerryDon Lane: I see not a thing wrong with them....done
[11:37] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Jerry!
[11:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's Bagheera's turn next!
[11:38] Bagheera Kristan: At this time, I don’t have a clear answer. I have heard pros and cons from both sides but don’t yet believe I have all the pieces necessary to make a firm decision or declare a position.
[11:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Please go ahead when you're ready, Bagheera
[11:38] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[11:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: aw lol
[11:38] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:38] Bagheera Kristan: whoosh
[11:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Hehe :D
[11:39] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, thank you Bagheera :)
[11:39] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Pat's next — so pelase go ahead, Pat!
[11:39] Gwyneth Llewelyn: ?please
[11:39] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ready
[11:39] Pat (patroklus.murakami): they had their uses :-)
i used to run one for quite a while
they meant we had really good debates about issues
and they were a good way for new people to get to know older residents
and get involved
but it was wrong that you *had* to be a member of a faction to stand for any office
so i think our current system is an improvement
i'd like to see more factions organise themselves and hold meetings
but i recall how difficult it was to get that off the ground
so i'll try to enable it if elected but it would need a lot of effort from the faction members
[11:39] Pat (patroklus.murakami): it would mean more a of a 'contest of ideas' in elections
[11:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): frankly, i think our current elections are too much of a 'beauty contest' for my liking
[11:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and ppl end up with RA representatives who don't really represent their interests
[11:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): would i go back to the old way though? no
[11:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): that's all
[11:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[11:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[11:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: ooh ok thanks!
[11:40] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All right then!
[11:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, thank you, citizens, for your very thought.provoking questions,
[11:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: and thanks to the candidates to answer so well — it's tough to do that when there is so little time in advance to prepare
[11:42] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Like we did yesterday,
[11:42] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I'm now giving you all 2 minutes to prepare your final comments
[11:42] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Then each of you will have 4 minutes to conclude
[11:42] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And — if we figure out the technicalities …— we might get the CDS Anthem sung once more — I feel that it's very appropriate, you guys did the CDS proud today :D
[11:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So break time starts now.
[11:43] Garnet Psaltery goes for a cuppa
[11:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: The transcript of this debate, and yesterdays, will be posted in the Forums- look for Chancellor By-elections 2014. All questions will also be posted there so that Tandra can reply , and there are three additional questions today, one of them a followup, that will be posted there for candidate response. Hopefully that will all be completed by tomorrow.
[11:45] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That was a short break! I hope you're ready, candidates, because it's time for your final and concluding comments.
[11:45] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bagheera, I believe you're the first this time...
[11:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, when you're ready, 4 minutes for your concluding arguments :)
[11:46] Bagheera Kristan: Yesterday, one of the questions asked was “what have you done to benefit CDS?” and part of my reply was “well I was told I had reinvigorated interest in politics to CDS. A double edged sword, that one.” I don’t know that I can take credit for that, actually, but I am very pleased just to see so many people involved and engaged in the election. That alone, speaks well for the health of CDS going forward.
[11:47] Bagheera Kristan: As I said yesterday, I do not intend to run for the next term. I think the health of CDS will improve with more people involved in the government, and that includes the office of Chancellor.
[11:48] Bagheera Kristan: I see this as a slip of time I could use to put some things in order so that the next Chancellor going forward and Chancellors after that will have resources and tools in place that will help them concentrate on the job at hand, instead of some of the chaos I encountered.
[11:48] Bagheera Kristan: I do want to state that those who supported me were fantastic, Tor put together great resources and was ready to help all along, Sudane was always there. Rosie managed to give me great service even when we didn't see eye to eye. Delia was quiet but so very helpful.
[11:48] Bagheera Kristan: and on and on
[11:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (1 minute left)
[11:49] Bagheera Kristan: so this is not a knock on them at all.. only to say taht there are so many pieces, I can use this time, and my hands on experience, to get things organized better for future Chancellors .. as well as handle the day to day things that I now know pretty much how to handle. Thank you.
[11:50] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Bagheera!
[11:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Pat, you're next with your finishing thoughts. Please go ahead when you're ready!
[11:50] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ok
[11:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i hope you will take time to read my manifesto here on the forums:
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4386

if elected, i will be aiming to build bridges in the ways indicated
finishing the LA rebuild in a more open, inclusive and collaborative fashion is a priority for me
we have got a lot of the way there but the collateral damage has been considerable
we need to complete it in a different way - more open communications and by building bridges to those who have been alienated so far
[11:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so is getting ready for our 10th birthday celebrations
this is our moment to really claim a place in SL history and showcase what we are best at
that has to be a top priority for all of us
the drama etc, is a very distant second for me
i think you need someone with experience, enthusiasm and ability to get things done
i hope i have demonstrated i'm the person to do that job
i would be grateful for your support
[11:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i've been in CDS for a long time
[11:51] Pat (patroklus.murakami): from around 2006
[11:52] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i've seen a lot of changes
[11:52] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i've served on the RA many, many times
[11:52] Pats Collas entered draw distance (394.81 m).
[11:52] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i was LRA for one and a half terms
[11:52] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i'm proud of my record and of what i have achieved
[11:52] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i've drafted several of our laws
[11:52] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and parts of the constitution
[11:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and i've always worked across political boundaries to get agreement on the way forward
[11:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i was even an unsuccessful candidate in our first chancellor election!
[11:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so i think i could bring a lot of experience and maturity to the role
[11:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and I hope you will vote for me or, if not give me your first preference, at least put me in second place :-)
[11:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): thank you
[11:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (40 secs left(
[11:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[11:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: oh ok!
[11:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Pat!
[11:54] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And finally, it's your turn, Jerry! Please go ahead!
[11:54] JerryDon Lane: Again, I want to thank the SC and the people for hosting these debates. Also thanks to our moderator. What a privilege it is to be able to sit on this stage and celebrate freedom with two other fine candidates of like mind. Yes, we disagree on many issues…. oftentimes we vigorously disagree….even sometimes very loudly, but we always do so peacefully--I wish that were so in all countries, but I’m sad to say it is not. In many countries the only force that results in change in governmental leadership comes at the barrel of a gun, results in dead babies in bomb shelters, or car bombings or through violent riots in the street.
[11:55] JerryDon Lane: That’s not so in a representative republic like CDS. When you count your blessings, insure that the fact that you living as a free citizen with a strong voice in your government is among them, because most people around the world cannot join you in that same celebration.
[11:55] JerryDon Lane: And to the undecided voter reading in, I say again, join with me. Together we can bring much needed change to CDS. We can then take our freedom to other areas of Second Life and then throughout the virtual world. This is an action that we need to take because democracy is really just the institutionalization of basic human rights—or at least it is when it properly functions, and when the right individuals are elected to initiate those rights.
[11:56] Dee Shepherd entered draw distance (322.76 m).
[11:56] JerryDon Lane: Democracy is the practical solution to the freedom of individuals yet it’s also compatible with the freedom of all of us as a group--as a community. But whatever freedoms we may attain by establishing a democratic republic, they cannot be sustained in a political vacuum. There must be a way of assuring and protecting those rights—and we have a solution, dear friends: a freely elected government representative of the people is the answer.
[11:57] JerryDon Lane: So here is the bottom line, ladies and gentlemen, not just any elected government can do the job. These people must display an intellect that never forgets the overall mission. This overall mission must cry out to them daily within their own minds and here it is: they are there to serve the citizens. I won't stop saying that. The citizens must always be in charge. Elected officials must know and sometimes be reminded that they are the gatekeepers of a government comprised of their constituency…In the words of the great statesman, Abraham Lincoln, “a democracy is government of the people, by the people, for the people, and it shall not perish from this earth.” Let elected officials never forget those words for they are the very basis of freedom and democracy.
[11:57] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (1 minute left)
[11:58] JerryDon Lane: I want to be your servant, not your master. Thank you for your vote in the number 1 slot when the polls open on April 8. Also, thank you for coming, and may God bless you and our wonderful democracy called CDS. And so, with the closing words of each candidate up here, the debates come to a close. Now let the people speak. I’m finished, Madam Moderator.
[11:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much!
[11:58] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[11:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you *all*! I think it's now time we seriously applaud you guys
[11:59] Garnet Psaltery: ***** APPLAUSE *****
[11:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you from the botom of my heart!
[11:59] Rosie Gray: clap clap clap
[11:59] Ceasar Xigalia claps
[11:59] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: ☆Applause☆
[11:59] Rosie Gray: well done all! and thank you!
[11:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you all who attended — as I was saying on the group IM chat,
[11:59] Trebor Warcliffe: *Applause*
[11:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: we have had an awesome attendance
[11:59] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ty everyone for a clean debate. if only the group chat had been similar :)
[11:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: on a unique event
[11:59] Delia Lake: A big thanks for the Candidates and the Citizens who have come out to make participatory elections in the CDS a reality!
[12:00] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: ☆Applause☆
[12:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: which really is completely different from anything else — it shows that in the minds of hearts of some of us,
[12:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: namely, us CDSers,
[12:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: democracy is still worth celebrating :)
[12:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok! And we're exact on time! Woo hoo
[12:00] Cindy Ecksol cheers

[12:04] Cindy Ecksol: oh, here's the text....
(CDS Anthem)
[12:04] Cindy Ecksol: Oh glorious land! Oh, glorious land
[12:04] Cindy Ecksol: brought forth by us from the sea
[12:05] Cindy Ecksol: and every day we toil to keep you still a democracy.
[12:05] Cindy Ecksol: We're people of all nations united to keep us freee
[12:06] Cindy Ecksol: We're loyal of heart and lend our minds and hands in virtuality
[12:06] Cindy Ecksol: we build a dream, we fly away......
[12:06] Cindy Ecksol: to a new kind of coooooouuuuntry!

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Debate transcripts”