Transcript -Second debate April 5 part 1

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Transcript -Second debate April 5 part 1

Post by Callipygian »

[10:03] Callipygian Christensen: Welcome to the second debate everyone!
[10:03] Callipygian Christensen: I will be collecting questions today - there is a link to the Moderator's questions and other debate info on a notecard in the big box front of stage
[10:04] Callipygian Christensen: Gwn has once again agreed to moderate and I'll hand things over to her :)
[10:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks, Calli :)
[10:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: A big hug to the candidates who are willing to go through the grind once more :)
[10:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And thanks to all of you for attending today!
[10:05] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Sadly, Tandra's home is without power, due to the heavy storms yesterday,
[10:05] Gwyneth Llewelyn: so she will later on have her questions answered on the forums.
[10:05] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I'm told that she's fine otherwise, just no Internet :(
[10:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok... so... if the candidates are ready for their 2-minute introduction each,
[10:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: we shall start
[10:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: The random box for the beginner was #2 — so that means Bagheera Kristan will be the first
[10:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bagheera, if you're ready, please go ahead :)
[10:06] Bagheera Kristan: ah, just a moment, yes
[10:06] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Hehe ok. Let me know when!
[10:07] Bagheera Kristan: okay now
[10:07] Bagheera Kristan: My original platform at the beginning of this term was ambitious in scope, it was also dependent on the help of many citizens to see through.

While I admire the zeal of my colleagues who are also running for Chancellor and their platforms, my advice to them is they had better have a Plan B for when the volunteers they are counting on do not materialize.

I had a recent conversation with another ex-Chancellor whose rueful joke was “PIO? What’s that?”
[10:07] Bagheera Kristan: When I took office, I had lofty ambitions and thought I would have lots of help...
...I was unprepared for the lack of help forthcoming
...I was unprepared for some of the actions taken that seemed directly intended to cripple my ability to do my elected duties
...I was unprepared for the negativity and the persistence in desire by some to believe the worst in my intentions, no matter what I did
...And perhaps the biggest lesson for me was to come face to face with my own ignorance about things I thought I had a grasp of and also to come to recognize that others were ignorant who sincerely thought and presented themselves as experts in matters critical to CDS’ health.
[10:07] Bagheera Kristan: So, I had many goals when I took office.

One of them, the one that was closest to my heart, was to begin to make inroads towards making CDS robust enough to accommodate personalities that didn’t get along, to introduce procedures that gave people graceful ways to live next door to each other under the law. That is still what is closest to my heart and what I will endeavor to do, whether I am in the Office of Chancellor or out as a common citizen.
[10:07] Bagheera Kristan: However, as Chancellor, I had a little more clout to make it happen. The first and biggest thing I did was articulate loudly and clearly that the Chancellor would handle all covenant complaints. The link to that is here on the forums:
Chancellor's Office handles all Covenant Enforcement / http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4272
[10:08] Bagheera Kristan: The reason behind this was because, up until I took office, it was a pretty common occurrence that one citizen would endeavor to enforce covenants on another citizen’s build or would say acrimonious things about the neighborhood, sometimes it seems solely as a way to continue a festering feud, resulting in serious hard feelings and disruptive squabbles both public and private.
[10:08] Bagheera Kristan: Many of you have asked, “Didn’t you quit? Why are you running again?”

That is a fair question.

I wanted to make a point I thought was essential regarding what I judged as the inappropriateness of a secret petition being passed around and my frustration that so many of the leadership who participated didn’t see it that way. I felt the only way I could be heard was by making the sacrifice of stepping down with one of my hopes being such a dramatic act would make some people re-evaluate. (I did not know there was no plan in place for such eventuality and apologize for throwing CDS into temporary disarray)

My feelings about that were best articulated by me here:

Re: Questions for Candidates / http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... ard#p22262
[10:08] Bagheera Kristan: During my time in Office, I did accomplish some of the important goals I set out to do...I believe I played an important role in getting Locus Amoenus kickstarted. My “Chancellor enforces covenants” decree cut down a great deal on neighbor to neighbor complaints with the unexpected outcome of mostly government officials making complaints.

What I learned while in office was that the handing off of Chancellor responsibilities is in serious disarray - not because of anyone’s fault but because the position is far reaching and the documentation is all over the place and also because the Office has been held by so few for so long that people forget the newly-minted Chancellor doesn’t know what was obvious to the old Chancellor.

The irony is not lost on me that my abrupt departure from the post will put the next Chancellor in the same pot of hot water I was in...and I had really seen the last part of my tenure as an opportunity to straighten critical things out and continue the work Tor started of
[10:08] Bagheera Kristan: documenting all the things a Chancellor needs to do and provide a structure of tools to help with that.
[10:08] Bagheera Kristan: If I am elected, I see that as being my goal for the last month of this term as well as handling any day-to-day business that comes to hand and finishing the work that is almost done with Locus Amoenus.

I do not intend to run next term but instead want to turn my attention to creating some supportive workshop of former Chancellors and others to give prospective Chancellors and anyone who wants to understand sim management a grounded place to get the tools they need for such a demanding job. If I am elected, that will give me a better opportunity to lay this groundwork, which I believe is so critical now.

I love Pat’s reminder about Oktoberfest and our 10th Anniversary, something I know Tor has also invested a lot of time and energy into recognizing. If elected, I would encourage them to continue to take leadership in organizing this celebration as well as invite all other citizens to use the Chancellor’s office to help them facilitate events within CDS - something the Chancellor has always done for
[10:08] Bagheera Kristan: its citizens.

Finally, three weeks ago, on March 17th, the country of Ireland had a conference called “We Need to Talk about Ireland” at their government hall. You can find it on Youtube. One of the speakers there said something that struck home to me. He said “sometimes it isn’t about winning or losing, but showing the way things ought to be.” Whoever wins, I will bow to the will of the people and support the victor. That is how things ought to be. Thank you.
[10:08] Bagheera Kristan: done
[10:08] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:09] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Bagheera! :)
[10:09] Gwyneth Llewelyn: We'll have Pat next, so, whener you're ready....
[10:09] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ok
[10:09] Patroklus: It sums up what I’m about and the spirit in which I would work for the CDS if elected Chancellor.
[10:09] Patroklus: I want to Build Bridges between People. We are quite a divided community at the moment.
[10:09] Patroklus: My campaign theme is “Building Bridges”.
[10:09] Patroklus: It sums up what I’m about and the spirit in which I would work for the CDS if elected Chancellor.
[10:09] Patroklus: I want to Build Bridges between People. We are quite a divided community at the moment.
[10:09] Patroklus: I think I can bring people together by finding out what our citizens are good at, what they are willing to do for the community, and encouraging them to help out.
[10:09] Patroklus: I want to Build Bridges To Rebuild Locus Amoenus.
[10:09] Patroklus: And, for the avoidance of doubt, no one is going to be relocated. No one is going to be forced to change parcel lines. No one will have to move a building due to terraforming or changing a parcel line.
[10:10] Patroklus: A lot of work has already been done. This by-election gives us an opportunity to complete the build in a more inclusive and collaborative fashion.
[10:10] Patroklus: If elected I will:
[10:10] Patroklus: Set out the Project Plan. We need better communications on this project and a clear plan.
[10:10] Patroklus: Engage the RA. The outstanding issues will need RA input and the revised plan will need their sign-off to proceed to completion.
[10:10] Patroklus: Re-engage the Guild. We need the Artisan’s Guild bought into this project so that we have our best and brightest builders collaborating on the project and supporting apprentice builders.
[10:10] Patroklus: Celebrate! LA has great locations to hold events and we should mark the successful completion of the rebuild project with a party to bring everyone together.
[10:10] Patroklus: I want to Build Bridges to connecting our past to the present and the future
[10:10] Patroklus: This year marks our 10th Anniversary.
[10:10] Patroklus: On 21 September 2004 Linden Labs delivered a portion of the Anzere sim to the then Neualtenburg Projekt and our community was born. Since then we have expanded to five sims and almost 80 citizens.
[10:10] Patroklus: We have ten years of history to celebrate.
[10:10] Patroklus: We have six sims (the CDS plus Anzere) to hold events in.
[10:10] Patroklus: We have dozens of past, present and future citizens to welcome to our community.
[10:10] Patroklus: This year we should do them proud.
[10:10] Patroklus: I will begin by holding meetings inworld to get our citizens input as we brainstorm all the fantastic things we could do this year to celebrate our anniversary.
[10:10] Patroklus: I will find out what people can do to help and get them involved in the planning and implementing.
[10:10] Patroklus: This year we should plan for the best Oktoberfest and the best celebration of our history we have seen to date.
[10:10] Patroklus: Done
[10:10] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:10] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ok
[10:10] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Wow that was fast — thanks so much Pat!
[10:11] Pat (patroklus.murakami): problems with my notecards. not used to this device!
[10:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: But iot worked well!
[10:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: *it
[10:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And finally, JerryDon Lane, you're next with your introduction :)
[10:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whenever you're ready, Jerry....
[10:11] JerryDon Lane: Thank you for the opportunity to execute a second debate for the benefit of our citizens in Europe and other time zones. I'm honored and humbled to be here. Let's look for a moment at what our CDS founding Mothers and Fathers have accomplished via much hard work and wise negotiation over the years. They managed to carve out a wonderful community consisting of people of many different races, differing religions, some with no religion at all, people that have different sexual orientations and people of many professions.... and of extravagantly differing cultures and even discordant moral values. So….. look at how far we’ve come and then ask yourself this question: Here we are, is this all there is?
[10:12] JerryDon Lane: My answer to that question is a resounding no. We’ve come quite a distance but this is not all there is--we still have a road ahead of us to traverse. We have many needs right now in CDS, fellow citizens. We need organization in the Executive Branch. There is too much power vested in one person. I intend to fully organize the executive branch of government to eliminate the current situation where only one person has all duties, powers and responsibilities that are normally assigned to an entire executive branch in most democracies . I’m going to get the government out of your face, my friend, by greatly expanding it and thereby spreading that power and responsibility to a large staff of commissions rather than vest it in only one person. Even you may be a member of this administration. This is a much better way to do business in CDS.
[10:13] JerryDon Lane: But there is more to being a leader in a community other than housekeeping chores. I think it is up to the leaders in every community to foment harmony and tranquility among the citizenry of that community. After all, what good does it do if the trains run on time, the garbage is collected and there are no potholes in the roads if the people that live in the community are not happy? So thank you and I look forward to debate and serving the people in CDS as your incoming elected Chancellor. I’m finished, Ms. Moderator.
[10:13] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[10:13] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:13] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Oh... wow, thanks, Jerry ;)
[10:13] Coolin Seaside entered draw distance (296.63 m).
[10:13] Gwyneth Llewelyn: You guys are becoming experts at this; maybe that means you're going to be able to answer more questions from the audience at the end!
[10:13] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All right, we will have now a round of moderator questions,
[10:14] Gwyneth Llewelyn: they have been posted in advance on the forums,
[10:14] Gwyneth Llewelyn: each of you will have 2 minutes to answer, in turn.
[10:14] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Here we go.... question #1
[10:14] Gwyneth Llewelyn: eading the Forums, or watching meetings and interactions in world it appears we are a divided community. Whether the issues are historical or new, the heat of the debate surrounding them often seems to lose sight of the fact that we are real people, not cartoon avatars on a battlefield.
[10:14] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Q1)Do you feel it is part of the Chancellor's role to address this situation, and if so, what initiatives would you propose to bring us together as a community based on trust and respect ?
[10:15] Gwyneth Llewelyn: It will be Pat answering first.
[10:15] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So whenever you're ready, Pat, please go ahead!
[10:15] Patroklus: I think it’s up to everybody to address the situation.
[10:15] Patroklus: We are all adults and we should behave that way. I am very sceptical about the ability of ‘the government’ to enforce rules which are really about civil behaviour and treating each other with respect.
[10:15] Patroklus: I’m not in favour of committees of citizens telling us all how to behave. I think that path is fraught with problems.
[10:15] Patroklus: We need to get some perspective. The CDS has often felt like this.
[10:15] Patroklus: We come from a range of RL countries and our own political cultures are quite different.
[10:15] Patroklus: Even those of us that share a common language often misunderstand each other.
[10:15] Patroklus: When you add political disagreement, different social attitudes and priorities to the mix, there is scope for division.
[10:15] Patroklus: We have tended to operate more smoothly and with less angst and drama when people make an effort to be civil towards each other and to focus on issues rather than personalities.
[10:15] Patroklus: Trust is the most important commodity we possess. It can act to bind us together and get us through the bad times.
[10:16] Patroklus: But it is difficult to build it in a virtual world where we rely on text chat and avatars that omit so much of the non-verbal communication that humans need to form trustful bonds.
[10:16] Patroklus: A lot of the recent divisions come from adopting a position that the person on the other side of a dispute or disagreement is evil and out to get us.
[10:16] Patroklus: It also comes because some people enjoy spreading misinformation, twisting and distorting what people have said and done and spreading stories. They get off on the ensuing drama.
[10:16] Patroklus: I think my contribution, if elected, would be to model the kind of behaviour we would all like to see and encourage others to do the same.
[10:16] Patroklus: That’s going to be a challenge for me! Search some of my forum posts and you will see I can be pretty direct.
[10:16] Patroklus: And I give as good as I get in a forum smackdown.
[10:16] Patroklus: So, I’m going to do a lot of biting my lip, counting to ten and not rage-posting immediately when someone writes something to provoke me.
[10:16] Patroklus: I’ve been practising this approach during the election campaign :-)
[10:16] Patroklus: And I intend to continue with this if elected.
[10:17] Patroklus: Done.
[10:17] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:17] Gwyneth Llewelyn smiles and thanks Pat :)
[10:17] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, Jerry, it's your turn now, whenever you're ready
[10:17] JerryDon Lane: The forums have, at least to some extent, been taken over by a small group of people who seem to get their kicks by demeaning others. This is their hobby, I guess, as one cannot post much of anything in there without undergoing abuse, and it seems to me to be the same group of people always causing these problems for others. While, I'm the first to argue that freedom of speech is an inalienable right, when that speech becomes abusive in nature, it no longer falls under that right in any country I'm aware of. Unfortunately, probably 80% of the people I've interacted with in CDS never go in there. And they will not, unless we work together to clean up that mess. Who could blame someone for not wanting to suffer abuse from the same small group of individuals time after time? I'm an ex-marine, so it don't bother this tough old bird, but it certainly needs addressing for the average citizen.
[10:18] JerryDon Lane: And yes, it is the Chancellor's job to foment harmony within the community. In fact, it is everyone's job, especially our leaders elected into public office. Of course, a society cannot legislate morality or kindness. I have often had a chuckle at college level ethics classes. One cannot teach an adult honesty, ethics and mores. If you don't have those as an adult, you never will have them. Yet, the Chancellor can lead and this is an area where leadership is most urgently needed. When elected as Chancellor, I will serve as a uniter, not a divider.
[10:18] JerryDon Lane: I feel that one area the Chancellor can help in regarding civility is to insure better communications between the executive branch and the populace. Many times when others are not sure what's going on in a given situation they fill in the blanks themselves with suspicions and insecurities. Strong leadership mandating meaningful communications can help stem this problem. So the answer to the question is yes. It is the Chancellors job to lead and this area is in bad need of leadership right now. I also noted that the other night at my "come together" party, almost everyone was there. We were all of differing beliefs and factions yet we got along swimmingly and everyone seemed to enjoy the company of the others present. We need more events like that to serve as healing. Thank you, I am finished.
[10:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[10:19] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Sorry, I didn't read the end line :)
[10:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn hopes the ex-marine will forgive me :)
[10:19] JerryDon Lane: LOL
[10:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And now, Bagheera, it's your turn! When you're ready...
[10:19] Bagheera Kristan: The forums are moderated under the SC and the meetings are typically under the purvue of whoever is holding or hosting them. Group chat is only available to those who are online at the time, but it seems the SC would be in charge of that - however that might be managed.
[10:20] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (Sorry, please ignore that!) Go ahead Bags
[10:20] Bagheera Kristan: We are lacking clear control of our groups in many ways, but I do not see that the Chancellor is the one who determines appropriate or inappropriate behavior on the inworld groups once the roles are set out - except in terms of sim management by the Land group.
[10:20] Bagheera Kristan: The Chancellor typically enforces rules that are obviously being broken and also responds to requests by whoever is in charge to eject troublemakers...I see the Chancellor’s role in this to support whoever is in charge.
[10:20] Bagheera Kristan: That said, there is a - for me - a human compulsion and a citizen’s right to intervene or intercede on behalf of another when I see something I feel is an injustice and to speak my own truth.
[10:20] Bagheera Kristan: To sum up:
[10:21] Bagheera Kristan: As Chancellor, I do not believe I have any special power to call someone to heel on the forums or in meetings unless they are clearly breaking a law or am requested to do so by whoever is in charge of the meeting. But, as a citizen and a human being, I still retain the right to try to introduce and gain clarity, be fair, and/or smooth ruffled feathers.
[10:21] Bagheera Kristan: done
[10:21] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Bagheera, and my apologies for interrupting with the wrong timer message :P
[10:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I sort of pressed the wrong button there...
[10:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, we can go to the next question then.
[10:22] Bagheera Kristan: s'okay :)
[10:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: There has been a steady influx of new citizens to CDS.
Q2) How will you, as the next Chancellor, welcome and encourage these people to stay in CDS and actively participate in its functions?
[10:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So Jerry will answer this one first....
[10:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: When you're ready, Jerry.... please go ahead
[10:22] JerryDon Lane: There needs to be a special effort made, not only to draw new people to CDS, but to make them happy once they become property owners. One way we can do this is the old fashioned way. We can be good neighbors and offer them help and friendship. We can invite them over and spend a few minutes with them. You may gain a long-term friend. And it certainly is up to the Chancellor, as the community leader, to personally contact them, welcome them and offer them the full help of her administration as the problems arise that virtually any new residents faces as a CDS newby. In fact, I will appoint a special liaison for the purpose of greeting new residents and offering them the help they need. And let's invite them to participate actively in our democracy. Odds are they were attracted to the region because we are a confederacy of democratic sims. Let's encourage them to further that interest.
[10:23] JerryDon Lane: One thing that I find repulsive and very dangerous to democracy is an attempt to place controls on who may, and who may not buy property in the CDS sims to become newcomers. There was one opponent in our previous debate that went on record with these words: Patroklus:..... "the RA could choose to have a system where *abandoned* land - not all land sales - go through the Chancellor.....that way an elected public servant can keep a list of people interested in joining CDS.....and prevent a private monopoly on citizenship"----Pat wants to be able to control who can, and who cannot buy land and become voting citizens in CDS. This is not democracy, fellow citizens, by any stretch of imagination. It is communism and very dangerous to freedom and the free market. It is also a blatant attempt at a power grab by a potential Chancellor and an attempt at controlling a vote that might keep him in office perpetually.
[10:24] JerryDon Lane: When I am elected as your Chancellor....You have my solemn promise that I want nothing more from you other than to insure you have the freedom you came to CDS to seek. I will fight for that as hard as I must. Viva La Democracy. I'm finished, Ms. Moderator.
[10:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much!
[10:24] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, next in turn is Bagheera.... when you're ready, you can start, Bags!
[10:24] Bagheera Kristan: Well, one thing I did that helped, so would continue doing, would be to channel all covenant issues through the Chancellor’s office...as this cut down dramatically on neighbors cluck clucking over newcomer’s and other’s builds which had been making people feel unwelcome.
[10:25] Bagheera Kristan: Also, my door is always open to anyone who wants to put together an event and, where it is in my power and appropriate, offer CDS resources to help them with it.
[10:25] Bagheera Kristan: I had a slate of concerts scheduled which ended up by the wayside, but I know live music is a huge draw in SL and also something that makes people feel engaged and get to know one another in a casual environment. That and other events that bring people together is something I would like to do/continue to do.
[10:25] Bagheera Kristan: I like people and endeavor to be welcoming and fair to every citizen. As I said in the last question, I don’t have any special powers in this area, but as a citizen and human being, I will tend to try to do the right thing and remember we are all people behind the avatars.
[10:25] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[10:25] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:25] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bags, that was insanely quick :)
[10:25] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you :)
[10:26] Bagheera Kristan: holding my breath lol
[10:26] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Finally, it's Pat turn to answer, so please go ahead....
[10:26] Patroklus: Welcoming new citizens and encouraging them to actively participate in CDS is something we all need to take part in.
[10:26] Patroklus: It means being genuinely welcoming and taking time to find out about people and what they are interested in.
[10:26] Patroklus: We all come to CDS for our own reasons.
[10:26] Patroklus: For some, it’s the unique nature of our community - a democratic, self-governing community is a rare thing in SL.
[10:26] Patroklus: For some, it’s the beauty of our sims. To be honest, it took a while for ‘Bavarian’ to grow on me. Now we have quite a few more options.
[10:26] Patroklus: For some, they come because their friends are here. And that’s fine too.
[10:26] Patroklus: I don’t think there is such a thing as the ‘right kind of people’ and that we should have some kind of entry requirement for citizenship.
[10:26] Patroklus: But welcoming people should also involve not misleading or lying to them. And creating false distinctions between ‘oldbies’ and ‘newbies’.
[10:26] Patroklus: Telling lies about past events and painting whole groups of people in the CDS as enemies.
[10:26] Patroklus: That’s just as abusive in my book as judging people on the basis of the friends they keep and it’s part of the problem we currently face with division in our community.
[10:27] Patroklus: We need to have things to do for new people to get involved in.
[10:27] Patroklus: That could be events we hold.
[10:27] Patroklus: It also used to have a political aspect too. When we had functioning factions, new people would get involved in them and learn about our political system.
[10:27] Patroklus: Or set up new ones to pursue a different vision for CDS.
[10:27] Patroklus: Aliasi used to run her non-partisan ‘civics’ classes which were useful for bringing new people up to speed on our complex arrangements.
[10:27] Patroklus: I’d like to enable all of this but… I’m realistic. One person cannot make all of that happen without support from others.
[10:27] Patroklus: Which is why I think it’s down to all of us to do this.
[10:27] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[10:27] Patroklus: Done
[10:28] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Oh nice.... thank you :)
[10:28] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:28] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well this is sailing smoothly :) Thank you, candidates, and let's go to the last of the moderator questions.
[10:29] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Over the years both the name and the mission of the Artisan's Guild has changed a number of times.
[10:29] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Q3) With its current mission and Charter, what do you feel the role of the Guild is in CDS at this time, and would you pursue initiatives that would change that role in any way?
[10:29] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (as a reference: the charter is here if you care to review it: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... -3pLnVx0ys )
[10:29] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, Bagheera will be the first to answer that one. Please go ahead, Bagheera :)
[10:30] Bagheera Kristan: The Guild has been quite clear that they are now their own entity, defining their own course in CDS... which is their right.
[10:30] Bagheera Kristan: In a different incarnation, one of the old Guild’s roles was to give expert guidance to Chancellors who might not know about sim management and building, which is something I think CDS should have and would greatly benefit from in some form. It is not for me to tell this Guild to step forward to do that, however; and this Guild does not seem interested in that role at this time.
[10:30] Bagheera Kristan: Since they are private and not currently - as a group - performing any services in CDS, I think they should be treated as any other private group in CDS.
[10:30] Bagheera Kristan: Many members have been or are on the Estate Management team that helps the Chancellor maintain the sims, but that seems to be a one-on-one relationship between each member and the Chancellor, not a Guild directive at this time. If that were to change, based on the Guild’s decisions, I would revisit this question in a new light.
[10:30] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[10:30] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:31] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Super-quick as always, Bags :) Thank you so much.
[10:31] Bagheera Kristan: lol yvw :)
[10:31] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's Pat's turn.... please go ahead, when you're ready! :)
[10:31] Patroklus: The Guild is a non-governmental organisation. So it’s role and mission are entirely its own affair.
[10:31] Patroklus: I see it as a private association of builders and it is has attracted many of our best and brightest builders in CDS.
[10:31] Patroklus: We are lucky to have so many talented people who are proficient and who, through the Guild, are prepared to help others to improve their skills.
[10:32] Patroklus: I would not seek to change its role because, that’s not the business of the government!
[10:32] Patroklus: NGOs are free to do what they want, and organise themselves any way they choose provided they comply with the LL ToS, our Constitution and Code of Laws.
[10:32] Patroklus: The CDS has, historically, turned to the experts in the Guild for building work in new sims and for renovating our current content.
[10:32] Patroklus: I imagine we will continue to use them in future - that’s where many of our most proficient builders are.
[10:32] Patroklus: And they have tended to charge token amounts for their work. I think that’s why, in practice, a lot of our future building work will also be carried out by the Guild.
[10:32] Patroklus: But, I don’t believe in closed shops and I don’t think the Guild should have a monopoly on building. The Chancellor and RA should be free to employ anyone to work in the CDS.
[10:32] Patroklus: That’s why I want to keep everyone who has worked on the LA rebuild engaged while also reengaging the support and involvement of the Guild.
[10:33] Patroklus: Done
[10:33] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Pat :) Well in time too hehe
[10:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, please, Jerry, whenever you're ready, go ahead!
[10:33] JerryDon Lane: I would not pursue initiatives to change the Artisan's Guild in any way. In fact, I am on record as stating that I want to work with this organization and I wrote this in my platform: "I want the Chancellor’s Office to actively and continuously reach out to the Artisan’s Guild and I will begin right now by throwing them an olive branch and by letting them know how much they are appreciated.
[10:33] JerryDon Lane: "I’ve seen the work that some of these guys have done and they are master builders at a level far beyond me. I want them to have a direct voice within the Chancellor’s Office so that we can all work in harmony to have the greatest builds possible in CDS—even the best in Second Life. I will appoint the best builders to this board, mostly members of the guild, they will envision the architectural design, I will approve it, and then they will go out and build it.."
[10:34] JerryDon Lane: My intention in that statement, which I edited for brevity, was to announce that there would be a builders commission incorporated into the Chancellor's office and at least some of these commissioners would, hopefully, be active members of the Artisan's Guild. So I think its very clear that I support the Guild and I see great potential for it's direct use in CDS builds
[10:34] JerryDon Lane: With this said, it is the elected Chancellor who is directly responsible to the people and the Artisan's Guild is not elected by the citizens to represent them in government. Thus as an NGO, they must always remember that they are subservient to the will of the people and to my knowledge, they completely understand their role and abide by it. So I look forward to working with them. I'm finished, Thank you.
[10:34] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much, Jerry :)
[10:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, now we'll have a 5-minute break,
[10:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: to allow the stressed-out candidates to prepare their rebuttals
[10:36] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And then each of you will have 2 minutes for that.
[10:36] Gwyneth Llewelyn: In the mean time, the audience is quite welcome to send their questions to Calli
[10:36] Gwyneth Llewelyn: To be answered by the candidates after the rebuttal phase.
[10:37] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I'm being told that we might not have many questions yet, so please, guys, this is your chance now :)
[10:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Remember, all questions are to be answered to all candidates.
[10:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: It's fine to ask about something generic that one or the other candidate might have said,
[10:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: but please turn it into a question that ALL are able to answer.
[10:39] Gwyneth Llewelyn: E.g instead of asking "X, you said on the forums Y, what do you mean by that?"
[10:39] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Turn that into: "Regarding Y, what do you candidates think that means?"
[10:39] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So every candidate has a chance to answer.
[10:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs left)
[10:41] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok guys.
[10:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I hope that soem of you are still looking at the public chat instead of the group chat :)
[10:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So we will have now the rebuttal phase.
[10:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Let me see who starts first....
[10:42] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ah yes. It's Pat first.
[10:42] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whenever you're ready, Pat, 2 minutes for your rebuttal!
[10:42] Patroklus: let me rebut the claim that i'm a communist first
[10:42] Patroklus: i was a social democrat once, now i'm more dead centre
[10:42] Patroklus: i think that there is a problem with our land sales
[10:42] Patroklus: one or two people buy up all the land
[10:42] Patroklus: and they control access to citizenship that way
[10:42] Patroklus: i think that's a problem
[10:42] Patroklus: but the chancellor passes no laws
[10:42] Patroklus: that's the RAs job
[10:43] Patroklus: so, if they want to do something about it, it's up to them
[10:43] Patroklus: i'll be focussed on the chancellors job - getting things done
[10:43] Patroklus: LA rebuild
[10:43] Patroklus: 10th anniversary
[10:43] Patroklus: that's my focus if elected
[10:43] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[10:43] Pat (patroklus.murakami): :)
[10:43] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: First and last, I guess :) hehe
[10:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much, Pat :)
[10:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it's Jerry's turn,
[10:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: when you're ready, Jerry, please go ahead!
[10:44] JerryDon Lane: I never called Pat a communist, I simply stated that controlling land sales by a government is more communistic than it is democratic. That's a fact, and you might want to rethink that for the sake of free market economics. Done. thank you
[10:44] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Aww. That's all ? :)
[10:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Hehe
[10:44] JerryDon Lane: Haha...
[10:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Anyway, it's your time, Jerry :) So if you don't wish to say anything more,
[10:45] Gwyneth Llewelyn: we'll go to Bagheera next, Bagheera, please go ahead!
[10:45] Bagheera Kristan: Well, we were just looking at the difference between the events in group chat right now and local chat here...so, I said this a long time ago.. A leader can only lead when and where the people want to follow. I want to forge a path that enriches and stretches all of us in positive ways. If you want to take that path, that is the path I intend to bushwhack my way through the brambles to get to. Thank you.
[10:45] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That's all too? Wow, economy of words indeed!
[10:45] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[10:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well thank you guys!
[10:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whew. It's now time for the questions from the audience.

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Debate transcripts”