First Debate - April 4/14 part 2

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

First Debate - April 4/14 part 2

Post by Callipygian »

[17:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Questions will be collected by a designated avatar and questions will be presented in the order they are received; the number of questions will depend on the time available and any that are not presented will be posted on the Forums.
[17:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (this is Arria)
[17:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Arria will type out each question in turn
[17:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Then: Each candidate will have 2 minutes to address each question.
[17:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: There will be no individual rebuttal time on each question, but candidates will be given 4 minutes at the end of the questions for any overall rebuttals, clarifications, and concluding remarks.
[17:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (We'll have a short break before that, I believe, to give them time to prepare those remarks)
[17:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: This is what is taking us a bit of time to sort out: The keeper of the questions will combine questions where there are repetitions and will identify whom the question came from, and will also keep a transcript of the debate for publication on the Forums.
[17:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, my apologies if Arria's reworded your questions slightly
[17:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: There is no intention of "censorship" here, it's just to make sure we can proceed along smoothly
[17:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And, remember, you're welcome to address the candidates at any time, on the forums, on IMs, etc — I'm sure they'0ll answer you
[17:51] Gwyneth Llewelyn: It's just that, uh, we're trying to stick to a certain degree of formality here.
[17:51] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And so, I think we can begin....
[17:51] Arria (arria.perreault): OK
[17:51] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Arria, if you're ready, can we have the first question please?
[17:51] Arria (arria.perreault): We start with a question from Cadence
[17:51] Arria (arria.perreault): Q How would you use the existing social networks and civil society in CDS to engage a more meaningful discussion of the future of CDS? How would you involve them in a de facto sort of way so that they have a voice and vote beyond the elections and beyond the elected officials in the governing bodies?
[17:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok.... mmmh
[17:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Pat answers first, I think
[17:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Are you ready, Pat? 2 mins
[17:52] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ok
[17:53] Gwyneth Llewelyn: thanks
[17:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): the future of CDS is something we have debated many times!
we have tried to develop a 'mission statement' in the past or at least define what we are for, besides democracy
[17:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): we didnt' get very far!
[17:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): the thing is, we are quite a plural community
[17:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so forging a consensus is never that easy
[17:53] Pat (patroklus.murakami): one thing we can unite around is expansion though
[17:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): there is nothing that brigns us together liek planning a new sim
[17:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): 10th birthday year
[17:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): sims are pretty much full
[17:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): we should think about whehther the time is ripe to add a sixth sim to our estate
[17:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): that's all
[17:54] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[17:55] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:55] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks Pat, well done!
[17:55] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry, you're next.... whenever you're ready, please go ahead!
[17:55] JerryDon Lane: Through communications. The public has the right to have input into any government activity, from its start to its finish. In fact, on major decisions, a public referendum on the issue, seems a good idea to me. I believe a consensus can be formed and that is the job of an elected representative to understand the will of the people and to follow it.
[17:56] JerryDon Lane: When elected I am a public servant, nothing more. It is the people who run a democracy
[17:56] JerryDon Lane: I cannot be clear enough on that concept or forceful enough
[17:57] JerryDon Lane: That is called democracy
[17:57] JerryDon Lane: Thanks, I'm done
[17:57] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Jerry, and well within the time limit too!
[17:57] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn: A short information, Tandra's place has been hit by a heavy storm and the lights are out, so she can't log in until they restore power. But I was told that she's fine otherwise.
[17:58] Callipygian Christensen: oh good
[17:58] JerryDon Lane: Poor baby
[17:58] Callipygian Christensen: Ill help her get everything on to the Forums Gwyn
[17:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks, Calli!
[17:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ouchie.
[17:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Anyway!
[17:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, Bagheera, it's your turn to answer
[17:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whenever you're ready....
[17:59] Bagheera Kristan: I am going to give a short term answer, since this is for a shortened term.
[17:59] Bagheera Kristan: I had started off my term with the intention to hold regular town halls and use our Internet platforms and the Linden Lab search and calendar features, all of which I had the knowledge how to do effectively... but got waylaid by many unexpecteds and lack of access to tools while in office.
[17:59] Bagheera Kristan: By making the Office more manageable, and getting the chance to put tools in place - like a calendar linked into our forum, or cleaning up our groups set up - Chancellors would have more time and resources to do these kinds of things effectively in the long run, going forward.
[17:59] Bagheera Kristan: done, thank you
[18:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That was fast :D
[18:00] Bagheera Kristan: I was last, so had an advantage, lol
[18:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: True! :)
[18:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok.....
[18:01] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Next question from the audience....
[18:01] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Arria, if you're so kind, please go ahead :D
[18:02] Arria (arria.perreault): We go ahead with a question from Cleo
[18:02] Arria (arria.perreault): Q The forum thread ... "Reforming Land Sales" on January 25, 2014
there is an idea to place further restrictions on land ownership and how we buy land..... . This seems a way to stifle growth in the CDS not promote it. Your thoughts please
[18:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So... Jerry starts this one. Please go ahead, Jerry, whenever you're ready!
[18:03] JerryDon Lane: My thoughts are that it is undemocratic hogwash...LOL.....Let the free market handle land purchases
[18:04] JerryDon Lane: That's called capitalism and it is one of the greatest systemd on earth
[18:04] JerryDon Lane: The people have a right to be secure in their liberties and their land holdings are part of those liberties
[18:05] JerryDon Lane: I say leave them alone and let them buy and sell land as the wish
[18:05] JerryDon Lane: Done
[18:05] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:05] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much, Jerry :D
[18:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bagheera, you're next — whenever you're ready, pelase go ahead :)
[18:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: *please even
[18:06] Bagheera Kristan: carrots and peas? laughing
[18:06] Bagheera Kristan: If that is what a majority of CDS citizens want, then it is a major change to what CDS would mean for itself, and for me. I would implement the will of the majority if the RA ruled it law but I am personally not interested in a “private club” sim or that kind of environment and would leave as soon as my obligations were completed.
[18:06] Bagheera Kristan: done
[18:07] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Looks like you need to whistle and tap dance a bit...
[18:07] Patroklus: our current land system is open to abuse
[18:07] Bagheera Kristan: bwa ha ha
[18:07] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Shhh wait Pat
[18:07] Pat (patroklus.murakami): sorry
[18:07] JerryDon Lane: grin
[18:08] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I'm sorry about that! Apparently only Calli can stop the timer lol
[18:08] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:08] Gwyneth Llewelyn: There.
[18:08] Gwyneth Llewelyn: You can go ahead, Pat :)
[18:08] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ty gwyn
[18:08] Callipygian Christensen: sorry..dealing with IMS too
[18:08] Pat (patroklus.murakami): our current land system is open to abuse
[18:08] Patroklus: it is possible to buy up all the free lots as they come up
[18:08] Patroklus: then only sell them (or give them) to your friends
[18:08] Patroklus: if you look at the land scanner you see some names pop up quite regularly
[18:09] Patroklus: this means that an individual can control access to citizenships in the CDS
[18:09] Patroklus: that's not the free market!
[18:09] Patroklus: that's nepotism and abuse
[18:09] Patroklus: so i think we should *consider* reform of land sales
[18:09] Patroklus: this is for the RA, not the chancellor, in any case
[18:09] Patroklus: the RA sets the laws on this
[18:09] Patroklus: the RA could choose to have a system where *abandoned* land - not all land sales - go through the Chancellor
[18:09] Patroklus: that way an elected public servant can keep a list of people interested in joining CDS
[18:09] Patroklus: and prevent a private monopoly on citizenship
[18:10] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and the citizens can decide whether the chancellor is operating fairly
[18:10] Pat (patroklus.murakami): by the regular chance to boot us out at the ballot box!
[18:10] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[18:10] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:10] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks, Pat!
[18:10] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whew, that one went well...
[18:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok... let me check the time....
[18:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I think we can do two more or so....
[18:11] Arria (arria.perreault): A new question from the audience
[18:11] Arria (arria.perreault): Q. What do you feel you have accomplished in CDS and SL that qualifies you for this position?
[18:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ah.... it will be the last one, sorry
[18:11] Callipygian Christensen: go 2 if they talk fast Gwyn :)
[18:12] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Hehe. We'll see. So, Bagheera first, I think. There goes your advantage, Bagheera, fair's fair :)
[18:12] Gwyneth Llewelyn: When you're ready, Bagheera, please go ahead!
[18:13] Bagheera Kristan: Ah, lol, well I was told I had reinvigorated interest in politics to CDS. A double edged sword, that one.
[18:13] Bagheera Kristan: I did play a significant role in getting Locus Amoenus kickstarted and also was able to educate on sim management, because there was some ignorance there.
[18:14] Bagheera Kristan: Many people told me they have felt I am fair with resolving complaints - there were dissenters too - but I sincerely have done the best I know how, am dedicated and feel I have made a difference in both financial stability and sim growth
[18:14] Bagheera Kristan: I've been here 3 years and most of my Contact List is CDS people, so many people talk to me one and on and I to them, so I have my pulse on things.
[18:15] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[18:15] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Bagheera!
[18:15] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:15] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And now it's Pat's time... whenever you're ready, Pat, please go ahead!
[18:15] Patroklus: i came here shortly after joining SL back in 2006
[18:15] Patroklus: i've spent several terms on the RA
[18:15] Patroklus: i was LRA for one and a bit terms
[18:16] Patroklus: i've been on the SC briefly and was a (failed) candidate for the first chancellor election
[18:16] Patroklus: i've drafted many of our laws and constitutional amendments so i'm pretty familiar with our mode of government
[18:16] Patroklus: but perhaps, most relevantly, in RL i'm a civil servant and i work on projects
[18:16] Patroklus: i'm very good at 'getting things done' and working with a team to achieve common goals
[18:16] Patroklus: it's that kind of practical, problem-solving and methodical approach that i would bring to the office of chancellor if elected.
[18:16] Pat (patroklus.murakami): i've had a hand in most of our expansions
[18:17] Pat (patroklus.murakami): occasionally helping with the bureaucracy
[18:17] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and looking fwd to another!
[18:17] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[18:17] Gwyneth Llewelyn: .... thanks! I was just going to say, 10 secs left lol
[18:17] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:17] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry, you're next — please go ahead!
[18:17] JerryDon Lane: I have paid my tiers on time and wish to represent the people.....What other qualifications would there be? I certainly wouldn't want a professional politician that has had experience for 20 years in office running for Chancellor, would you? I firmly believe that those who represent, should be average citizens...nothing more.
[18:18] JerryDon Lane: When I have accomplished all that I wish to in office, it will be your turn...:)
[18:18] JerryDon Lane: Let's don't worry so much about who is qualified or who isn't, let's find capable people who have a heart to truly represent the people.
[18:19] JerryDon Lane: Finished, thank you.
[18:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much, Jerry :)
[18:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, although this wasn't in the notecard (sorry trebor),
[18:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I'm breaking the rules and allowing the candidates to prepare their last comments
[18:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: and give them 2 minutes
[18:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That way,
[18:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: each will have 4 minutes at the end
[18:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: for their concluding remarks.
[18:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And we'll probably end in time, too.
[18:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn looks for her Moderator Blast Gun (I knew I'd need it after all!)
[18:23] Gwyneth Llewelyn: This is tough for the candidates, guys, it's really a very short time for them to be able to get ready for so much in such a little time. So I really appreciate their hard work!
[18:23] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:23] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok. Final remarks then.
[18:23] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Pat, you start first. 4 minutes! Please go ahead when you're ready :)
[18:24] Pat: ok
[18:24] Patroklus: i would like to be chancellor in this byelection but also run for office in the next election
[18:24] Patroklus: this is a critical year for us
[18:24] Patroklus: it's our 10th anniversary! so we have a lot to celebrate
[18:24] Patroklus: i think we need a leader in the chancellor's office who will get the job done
[18:24] Patroklus: i think i'm the person to do that job
[18:24] Patroklus: i've set out how I would tackle the most urgent task - the LA rebuild - in an open, inclusive and collaborative fashion
[18:25] Patroklus: i think that will set us on the right path to a positive celebration of all we have achieved
[18:25] Patroklus: i won't be able to stop all the bickering
[18:25] Patroklus: no one person can. as i've said before, we are the 'arguing country' :-) much like the USA
[18:25] Patroklus: and that's a good thing
[18:25] Patroklus: but i can model the kind of behaviours we need to work together and come together as one community
[18:25] Patroklus: thta's what i'll strive to do
[18:25] Pat (patroklus.murakami): if elected
[18:25] Pat (patroklus.murakami): if we play the next six months right
[18:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): the eyes of SL will be upon us
[18:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): we will have a profile that extends across the grid
[18:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and we will be able to silence some of our critics
[18:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): the ones who say we are sectarian
[18:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): the ones who said 'it will never last'
[18:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and show that our values endure
[18:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): that democratic self-government is a possible way to live in a virtual world
[18:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and, tho sometimes it isn't prettty
[18:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): it provides a framework for a community to endure
[18:27] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs)
[18:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): even if the individuals come and go
[18:27] Pat (patroklus.murakami): that's all i really want to say
[18:28] Pat (patroklus.murakami): thanks for your attention!
[18:28] Pat (patroklus.murakami): done
[18:28] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:28] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much, Pat :)
[18:28] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry, you're next :)
[18:28] JerryDon Lane: I am concerned about Pat's announcement tonight calling for a reform in land sales. Does this translate into: then government officials get to pick their friends to sell CDS land to? What a dangerous, undemocratic system that would be.

I say no way to that proposal. But I'm out of time and must close now.
[18:28] JerryDon Lane: I want to thank the SC and the people for hosting these debates. An informed and educated electorate foments a true representative democracy. And I am proud to number myself as a CDS citizen and to be accepted by such a noble group of fellow lovers of freedom.
[18:29] JerryDon Lane: And to the voter reading in, I say join with me. Together we can bring much needed change to CDS. Positive change—change that offers hope for our future and fulfills dreams of freedom that I know many of you harbor just as I do.
[18:29] JerryDon Lane: Let’s unite and accept the gift of democracy that is no longer just a dream but a reality our founding Mothers and Fathers in CDS have handed us after expending much labor to obtain it. Let’s take it to new heights. Let’s expand democracy in Second Life together by first perfecting the system we already have in place.
[18:30] JerryDon Lane: People have given their lives for those of you who live in freedom and are lucky enough to live in a democracy in real life. But all we must do here in second life is to maintain what we already have here in CDS and to elevate and strengthen it.
[18:31] JerryDon Lane: Together we can accomplish this.
[18:31] JerryDon Lane: Thank you in advance for your vote in the number 1 spot on the ballot when the polls open on April 8th.
[18:31] JerryDon Lane: I’m finished. May God richly bless you all. Thank you.
[18:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (30 secs)
[18:32] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[18:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well, thanks so much, Jerry :))
[18:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bagheera, with you, we'll close the debate tonight. So, please, go ahead!
[18:33] Bagheera Kristan: The thing I’ve always told people when I am talking to them about CDS one-on-one, is that I want to find and use ways that make CDS a community strong enough to enfold all our diverse personalities.
[18:33] Bagheera Kristan: As someone said, we have a lot of hard headed people here. My mother used to say that often the difficult people are the ones most worthwhile to know...so CDS is a challenge, but it allows us all to evolve and grow as it stretches us outside our comfort zones.
[18:33] Bagheera Kristan: I want to embrace CDS and strengthen CDS.. We ain’t broke...we are an exciting experiment in a new way of connecting around the world, embracing diverse cultures and encountering personalities we never even imagined existed. To nurture that is what drives me.
[18:33] Bagheera Kristan: The Office of Chancellor, right now, is a bit like a beautifully made ball of silk, but it is a bit tangled. What I see myself able to do and what I want to do is straighten out the knots so that those who hold the office going forward can actually accomplish things instead of chase their tails. I want the Office to be something more citizens can participate in instead of just “the few”.
[18:33] Bagheera Kristan: We will always have people with dissenting opinions, alternative viewpoints, even frustrating moments - but I hope and want to help make us strong enough to thrive through it all.
[18:33] Bagheera Kristan: Thank you.
[18:34] Bagheera Kristan: Done.
[18:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Bags, you have 3 more minutes :D
[18:34] Bagheera Kristan: I am not good at blather.. what am I missing lol?
[18:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Hehe :)
[18:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well, in that case, if you're sure that you don't want the rest of the time, we can round this up...
[18:35] Bagheera Kristan: please read my platform statement, it is all in there.. okay, that's it :)
[18:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Bagheera :)
[18:36] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well, a big applause to our candidates — thank you so much for your time to be with us!
[18:36] Gwyneth Llewelyn cheers

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Debate transcripts”