Chancellor Debate transcript

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Chancellor Debate transcript

Post by Callipygian »

[13:01] Delia Lake: Good afternoon everyone. For those of you who were here for the RA Candidate Debates yesterday, you can see that Calli and I have switched places :).
[13:02] Delia Lake: So this time I will be posing the prepared questions and Calli will be taking questions from the audience via IM
[13:02] Delia Lake: Thank you all for coming today
[13:03] Delia Lake: Democracy only works if people participate on all levels
[13:03] Delia Lake: Today we have our 2 Candidates for Chancellor for this next term of our government,
[13:04] Delia Lake: As we did yesterday, each of the candidates will have 2 minutes for an introductory presentation of their platform
[13:05] Delia Lake: the order of response will change with the question. first will be alphabetical from the beginning, then from the end. So Bagheera will give her introduction first, followed by Jamie.
[13:06] Bagheera Kristan: *smiles*
[13:06] Delia Lake: Jamie will then respond to the first question first, and so on
[13:06] Delia Lake: Bagheera, will you please begin with your 2 min introductory statement
[13:07] Bagheera Kristan: Thank you, yes..
[13:07] Bagheera Kristan: I am going to repeat my platform from the CDS forums, for those of you who haven't seen it
[13:08] Bagheera Kristan: Here is what I would bring to the office of Chancellor:
[13:08] Bagheera Kristan: 1) A solid understanding of building, scripting, and estate management abilities and responsibilities...for example
The inherent risks of overprim usage that can happen with a double prim sim such as Locus Amoenus and the Chancellor's responsibility to oversee prim usage on government land, ensuring citizens can trust their basic abilities are protected: to rez on their own parcels and have the objects they have rezzed remain in place.
[13:08] Bagheera Kristan: 2) Good accounting and asset management skills (in real life, I was Senior Field Coordinator for a number of large commercial construction projects including a US $54-million hospital (The Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford), so I am confident in my ability to manage CDS books prudently and accurately).
[13:08] Bagheera Kristan: 3) Effective marketing and outreach that taps into and understands Linden Labs search engines, how to create and promote events, and how to empower citizens to build their own businesses within the CDS sims.
[13:09] Bagheera Kristan: 4) Friendly, outgoing personality combined with a strong sense of ethics and fair play. Some might say I am too righteous, I try to temper it, but I acknowledge this is a double edged sword
[13:09] Bagheera Kristan: 5) Committed to the LONG TERM success and survival of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators...to upholding the Constitution and working with the Science Council, Guild, RA and citizens to make CDS a great place to enjoy one's Second Life.
[13:09] Bagheera Kristan: I recognize that C.D.S. is going through some growth spurts and pains right now, and that being Chancellor will be a challenge. I will endeavor to be fair and objective, using our existing laws and covenants to support everyone so we can all enjoy our own space in the greater community. I believe it is important to make decisions that will support positive outcomes and sustain C.D.S. for the long haul, going forward.
[13:10] Bagheera Kristan: Thank you...that's it in a nutshell
[13:10] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera
[13:10] Delia Lake: Jamie please
[13:10] Jamie Palisades smiles - not going to do the green text thing, please.
[13:11] Jamie Palisades: I like CDS, I want to see it thrive, I think I can help. Bags is a great contributor here also, and discussed her candidacy with me as a friend, and you can't go wrong with either one of us.
[13:11] Jamie Palisades: More detail from me ... often mind-numbingly so if I follow my usual habits ... on the Forums :)
[13:11] Jamie Palisades: Done.
[13:11] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie
[13:11] Delia Lake: Now for the Moderator questions
[13:12] Delia Lake: The two candidates have been given these questions in advance
[13:12] Delia Lake: The Chancellor position is a very important one and we wanted them to have the opportunity for thoughtful consideration of thesw questions
[13:13] Delia Lake: For each numbered question: 2 minutes per candidate to answer the question, followed by 2 minutes each candidate to rebut or provide additional information.
Example:
-Candidate A will have 2 minutes to address Question 1.
-Candidate B will then have 2 mins to rebut, plus 2 minutes to expand on his or her own answer ( a total of 4 minutes)
-Candidate A will have 2 minutes of rebuttal time.

This will repeat for each question and candidates will take turns going first.
[13:14] Delia Lake: First question, and this time Jamie will be our first responder
[13:14] Delia Lake: 1) Covenant enforcement has been an ongoing source of debate and dispute in recent terms. The covenants state:

"All structures are subject to review by the Executive branch. Upon completion of exterior construction, notice shall be delivered to the Chancellor for approval. If no approval or request for revision has been given by the Chancellor within 15 days from the date the notice of completion is delivered to the Chancellor, the building shall be deemed approved. ... Builders also have the option of submitting plans to the Chancellor for pre-approval."
This has often not been practised.

-How will you ensure this area of covenant enforcement is performed?

-Disputes arise over covenant compliance between citizens. How do you propose to deal with such covenant disputes?
[13:15] Jamie Palisades: ready, Del?
[13:15] Delia Lake: yes please
[13:15] Jamie Palisades: You DON'T have to guess what I think, or what I would do. I was Chancellor for three terms and, largely, defined the current process you just read. We DID enforce it, while I was here, and fairly, and the Forums show the links.
[13:15] Jamie Palisades: I am not an artist :) God knows. This helps me a fair arbiter.
[13:15] Jamie Palisades: We must enforce our covenants - they give us an unusually beautiful place, and I agree that enforcement has been spotty at times since then. BUT we also must respect the enjoyment that citizens get from building, within our covenants -- and not make it a painful experience, or one subject to constant second-guessing,
[13:16] Jamie Palisades: Having a diplomatic touch there is very important. We have seen lately what happens when well-meaning artisans disagree more bluntly. We can do that better as a community.
[13:16] Jamie Palisades: Done, thanks.
[13:16] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie
[13:16] Delia Lake: Bagheera, please
[13:17] Bagheera Kristan: Jamie’s actions as Chancellor were something I studied when I first joined CDS, as he was just finishing up his term and posted a long and thoughtful essay on his role, so my position is probably similar *laughing*
[13:17] Bagheera Kristan: that said....
[13:17] Bagheera Kristan: as Chancellor, it would be incumbent on me to actively monitor and follow construction activities throughout CDS and contact each builder to offer support and counsel, since a primary goal is for each citizen to have a pleasant experience with their builds as well as make CDS an attractive place to live for everyone.
[13:17] Bagheera Kristan: as for disputes...
[13:18] Bagheera Kristan: The Constitution states the Chancellor rulings on covenant compliance are the final word. If a dispute arises, it would be incumbent on me, as Chancellor, to inspect the build and make a final ruling on its suitability.
[13:18] Bagheera Kristan: By doing this, the often-
cited worries about covenant compliance being a way for someone to berate their neighbor would disappear... as the Chancellor would be the sole target of all displeasure..the cost of leadership.
[13:18] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[13:19] Delia Lake: thank you, Bagheera
[13:19] Bagheera Kristan: *smiles*
[13:20] Delia Lake: in this case, for this question you may not actually have "rebuttals" as mentioned at the beginning of the question period. If you have nothing to add, I would suggest that we move to the next question
[13:20] Delia Lake: and leave more time for audience questions
[13:20] Jamie Palisades smiles, nods. Not much to rebut. It might be worth noting that if that process was followed more explicitly, the recent unpleasant business about zoning, religion, roast pig and griefing might have been *completely* avoided peacefully.,
[13:20] Bagheera Kristan: agreed
[13:20] Delia Lake: thank you both
[13:21] Delia Lake: Speaking of questions from the audience, Calli is keeping them today. Please do IM her with your questions.
[13:22] Delia Lake: I will pose those questions to our candidates at the completion of the moderator questions. They will be presented in the order that Calli receives them
[13:22] Delia Lake: Second question, and Bagheera, you will respond first this time please
[13:23] Bagheera Kristan: nods
[13:23] Delia Lake: 2) The redesign of LA has been approved by RA and the Guild has presented a plan for development.

-What do you see as the Chancellor's role in this process and in the distribution/sale of the land once it is completed?
[13:23] Bagheera Kristan: *whew* here we go *laughing* I think a dose of amusement might help as we enter into this:
[13:24] Bagheera Kristan: ** First, one would hope that the redesign is such that all the new parcels are desireable and hopefully even more desireable than what exists.
[13:24] Bagheera Kristan: **As for distribution, what I would propose is for the existing residents of Locus Amoenus to choose 3 parcels from the new map equal to their current holdings and designate their order of preference, 1st, 2nd, 3rd of what they would like to own.
[13:24] Bagheera Kristan: - Where a single person has chosen a parcel as their 1st choice, then that person would be assigned that parcel... no conflict exists.
[13:24] Bagheera Kristan: - Where 2 or more people choose a parcel, then the assignment would be by random lottery with outcomes weighted by preference (weighting not fully determined yet - I imagine some of the better mathematicians here could help me to ensure fairness).
[13:24] Bagheera Kristan: ** If someone is danger of not receiving any parcel in Locus Amoenus that they favor, they would get first call on any available equal parcel in CDS.
[13:25] Bagheera Kristan: - In this last case, barring obvious price gouging, if a parcel is privately held and for sale, the government would pick up the difference between the government going rate and the private sale rate and award the parcel to the LA citizen.
[13:25] Bagheera Kristan: **If, during this redistribution process, we discover some of the new parcels in Locus Amoenus are extraordinarily over or under favored, I recommend we revisit the design to be sure all parcels are balanced in desireability.
[13:25] Bagheera Kristan: DONE
[13:25] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera
[13:25] Delia Lake: Jamie please
[13:26] Jamie Palisades: Here's my take.
The Chancellor's role is to execute the RA's laws and design. Period. They voted on Tuscan. We're doing it. What's to talk about?
[13:26] Jamie Palisades: See more in today's forum postings, about that, bouncing between Sudane, Ranma and I.
[13:26] Jamie Palisades: Chancellor can go ask for more law, if the way they write it is unworkable or insufficient. But maps, tier, zoning -- ultimately RA decisions.
[13:27] Jamie Palisades: So pick your RA members well :)
[13:27] Jamie Palisades: as to relocation
[13:27] Jamie Palisades: let';s be clear :)
[13:27] Jamie Palisades: I hate it.
[13:27] Jamie Palisades: I hate throwing people out of their land.
[13:27] Jamie Palisades: It does not feel democratic to me.
[13:27] Jamie Palisades: It does not feel CDS to me.
[13:28] Jamie Palisades: it CANNOT be helped sometimes - but you;d better have a damn good case for it and do it well, transparently and fairly..
[13:28] Jamie Palisades: I am not entirely convinced that Tor's reloc plan, announced 11/2, is a good one, though I believe he proposed it completely in good faith.
[13:28] Jamie Palisades: Im not going to try to evaluate Bag's detailed new idea there , point by point - just heard it now :)
[13:29] Jamie Palisades: But I am glad we're talking about it carefully.
[13:29] Jamie Palisades: I WILL say that any plan the Chancellor proposes has to be reviewed by citizens and the RA :)
[13:29] Jamie Palisades: Now, once it is BUILT - which will take more prodding and process then some current advocates thinks :) ... the chancellor has to SELL it (more on that in Q3) ... and smooth down disputing or unsettled stakeholders. (All of them, not just groups of pals. In a democracy -- which we are -- you have to reach out MOST of all to dissenters and newcomers! We are a small town. It is a discredit to us when people feel driven away. It's unworthy of us: any leader should be humble enough to recognize failures and do better next time. We can, in fact, do better at that.
[13:29] Jamie Palisades: Done.
[13:29] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie
[13:30] Delia Lake: A quick reminder here again for citizens in the audience to IM additional questions to Calli
[13:31] Delia Lake: Question 3, with Jamie responding first.
[13:31] Bagheera Kristan: I do have a rebuttal of sorts, or at least additional comments...
[13:31] Bagheera Kristan: may I?
[13:31] Jamie Palisades: +1 rebut first.
[13:31] Delia Lake: sorry, yes of course, Bagheera
[13:31] Jamie Palisades: go for it.
[13:32] Bagheera Kristan: I only in the last hour read the thread Jamie referred to on the forums...
[13:32] Delia Lake: please do
[13:32] Bagheera Kristan: I didn't get the text together but I believe the Constitution gives the Chancellor more powers than have been expressed in that thread or here...
[13:33] Bagheera Kristan: this is something I myself have railed against, nevertheless, it does exist currently this way, the Chancellor has sweeping land powers
[13:33] Bagheera Kristan: and with those powers .. I hope to behave responsibly and fairly, until/unless they are changed
[13:33] Bagheera Kristan: Thank you. DONE
[13:33] Jamie Palisades: Hey, I only wrote it hour ago, we're even :)
Wanna bet we get into Chancellor power issues in the open questions? :D
[13:34] Delia Lake: :) Jamie, do you have anything else you'd like to add?
[13:34] Bagheera Kristan: bet you are right ! LOL
[13:34] Jamie Palisades: happy camper :)
[13:34] Delia Lake: Then we will move on to Question 3, with Jamie answering first
[13:35] Delia Lake: 3) How do you plan to promote CDS as a place to purchase land and participate in the community?
[13:35] Jamie Palisades: Events. (key deliverable for the government.) And we do that fairly well, though I want a look at that budget, and would like to see things done more on a theme-by-theme local-control basis.
[13:35] Jamie Palisades: Being fair. (See Q2.) Keeping the place gorgeous. (See Q1.)
[13:35] Jamie Palisades: Keeping up Tor's good PR work, which I believe has been successful. And dang, talking someone into being PIO!

AND ...
[13:35] Jamie Palisades: Biggest issue: genuinely welcoming diverse community ownership and participation by driving more programming down into local levels and actively enabling LOTS of residents to contribute. Like Abby's Halloween party.
[13:36] Jamie Palisades: We are a barn raising town, not the Europarliament :)_
[13:36] Jamie Palisades: done.
[13:36] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie
[13:36] Delia Lake: Bagheera, please
[13:37] Bagheera Kristan: It does seem that people who see the CDS sims and are interested in property already put us at or near the top of their list, so it would be a matter of increasing visibility, giving the opportunity for more community involvement, and reducing the bickering.
[13:37] Bagheera Kristan: – To increase visibility and give the opportunity for more community involvement...
[13:37] Bagheera Kristan: I would invite citizens who are holding events on their land to provide times, description and landmarks to be included on a regularly produced notecard which would then be distributed in world to existing citizens and also available at town center kiosks, as well as included on the website. This is a great idea I am freeing borrowing from New Babbage *nods to Vic*
[13:37] Bagheera Kristan: I would also schedule events such as Primtionary, Races, 7 Seas Fishing, that would be included on the SL schedule and map. These cost little to nothing to host and do draw new visitors.
[13:38] Bagheera Kristan: I would continue to leverage About Land promotion to make sure parcels and events show on the main SL calendar and land map
[13:38] Bagheera Kristan: I would invite anyone with a shop in CDS to a monthly meeting (more frequent if desired) to plan cooperative events such as Hunts, Joint sales events, etc. This would make our sims desireable to other creators and also bring people to CDS who might stay to explore.
[13:38] Bagheera Kristan: As for reducing bickering, I would endeavor to demonstrate CDS is a place that can accommodate all types of personalities...which is the point, I think. Also, by handling covenant issues, that big problem goes away.
[13:38] Bagheera Kristan: Thank you. Done.
[13:39] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera. Jamie, do you have anything you'd like to add?
[13:39] Jamie Palisades: OK there, finally a campaign issue! I'm not a 7 Seas gimmicks guy :D ... Other than that, absolutely agree.
[13:39] Bagheera Kristan: laughs
[13:40] Delia Lake: Bagheera, any response?
[13:40] Jamie Palisades: However if I lose I promise to contribute a special Premium Bags Fish to her game :)
[13:40] Bagheera Kristan: more laughter...that's it
[13:40] Delia Lake: same here :))
[13:41] Jamie Palisades: hmm ... Fish with red hair ... mulls this one over ..
[13:41] Bagheera Kristan: woo hoo!
[13:42] Delia Lake: So moving from the light to the more serious, we come to question 4, and Bagheera this one goes to you first.
[13:42] Delia Lake: 4) Tier increases and decreases have been proposed in the past to address fluctuating occupancy rates.

-Do you consider current tier rates to be appropriate?
-Do you support changes to tier when occupancy rates are very low or very high?
[13:43] Bagheera Kristan: Yes, current tier rates seem to be appropriate.
[13:43] Bagheera Kristan: as for changing tier...
[13:43] Bagheera Kristan: Not unless the situation is dire and doesn’t look to change. People make personal investment decisions based on the price when they buy. Changing the pricing just adds a sense of instability.
[13:43] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[13:44] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera
[13:44] Delia Lake: Jamie, please
[13:44] Jamie Palisades: the Q is what we should do about rent.
[13:44] Jamie Palisades: heh
[13:44] Jamie Palisades: I do NOT know.
[13:45] Jamie Palisades: I SUSPECT the decision to drop them was wrong. Note that the price drop did NOT stop Locus Am from being empty, even though that was disguised by the land freeze there.
[13:45] Jamie Palisades: So, my plan is to make sure our price-per-prim rates are unified, and then bring a proposal ...
[13:45] Jamie Palisades: TO THE R.A.
[13:45] Jamie Palisades: to do that if needed. And if we are in the RED, to raise them enough and only to keep us SOLVENT, if needed.
[13:45] Jamie Palisades: I can;t tell if we are in the Red.
[13:45] Jamie Palisades: (solvent, for nonenglish speakers)
[13:46] Jamie Palisades: It bugs me that i CAN'T tell as a citizen easily.
[13:46] Jamie Palisades: Again. Rental tier. RA. Law. Separation of powers. RTFM. :)
[13:46] Jamie Palisades: And to give Rosie some credit, she pointed out yesterday that we have other possible strategies, including sim conversions to homesteads, that might soften or avoid that.
[13:46] Jamie Palisades: done.
[13:46] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie. Bagheera would you like to add anything?
[13:47] Bagheera Kristan: no, thank you :)
[13:48] Delia Lake: Thank you both. Before we get to the questions from the audience, each of you
[13:48] Delia Lake: sorry, scratch the last half sentence, lol
[13:50] Callipygian Christensen: each of you..take a 7th inning stretch? :)
[13:50] Bagheera Kristan: whew, yes please
[13:50] Jamie Palisades: Can do.
[13:50] Delia Lake: We do have some questions from our audience. Calli will post them in the order in which she has received them. And folks who are here it is still not too late to add your concerns with questions for our candidates
[13:50] Jamie Palisades stretches
[13:50] Garnet Psaltery: :o)
[13:50] Delia Lake: yes, a few jumping jacks or toe touches?
[13:50] Bagheera Kristan: brb, need a glass of water IRL :)
[13:51] Callipygian Christensen: I will post the first question once Bags returns
[13:51] Vic Mornington (victor1st.mornington): :D
[13:51] Jamie Palisades: better now :)
[13:51] Delia Lake imitates her rl dog and shakes herself out
[13:51] Garnet Psaltery dries herself with a towel
[13:51] Bagheera Kristan: back tyank you
[13:52] Vic Mornington: rofl
[13:52] Bagheera Kristan: cute Delia !
[13:52] Delia Lake: Better now? :))
[13:52] Callipygian Christensen: Question from Rosie Grey: Q Candidates, what are your positions on the restrictions that have been proposed for the Chancellors position?
[13:53] Delia Lake: Jamie, your turn to answer first
[13:54] Jamie Palisades: Not sure, actually. What I TRIED to do, when it was my job is be damn cautious not to over use those powers. That way, in extraordinary circumstances, they were still available if needed to deal with catastrophes.
[13:54] Jamie Palisades: But this is an RA issue :) One thought ...
[13:55] Jamie Palisades: The RA can NOW stop the chancellor from doing almost ANYTHING with a well written law. So for your best protection, hire an RA who meets regularly :)
[13:56] Jamie Palisades: Sudane has unlimited power here :)
[13:56] Jamie Palisades: As EO.
[13:56] Jamie Palisades: The thing is, we trust her not to do stupid stuff with it.
[13:56] Jamie Palisades: done.
[13:57] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie. Bagheera, please
[13:57] Bagheera Kristan: Well, I have not seen and did not know about these proposed changes... I'd love a link or direction to seem them *smiles* That said, I can answer generally....
[13:58] Bagheera Kristan: My opinion as to the Chancellor's powers should be expressed as a single citizen, not as Chancellor...otherwise there is a serious conflict of interest.
[13:59] Bagheera Kristan: I do know, historically, this issue was visited in the past couple years by the then seated RA, and the decision was made to leave things as they are.
[14:00] Bagheera Kristan: as for my personal opinion, I don't believe it would be appropriate to speak it here... in a debate to be Chancellor.
[14:00] Jamie Palisades: She IS nicer than me :)
[14:00] Bagheera Kristan: except to say, I will abide by the Constitution and our Laws as they are passed.
[14:01] Bagheera Kristan: Done *smiles at Jamie*
[14:01] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera.
[14:01] Jamie Palisades nods
[14:02] Delia Lake: As a point of information for everyone, there have been some postings on the Forum in the past few months regarding the powers of the Chancellor
[14:02] Delia Lake: Next Question please, Calli
[14:02] Jamie Palisades: Either one of us is going to play by whatever rules ... the laws ... the RA enacts. I, um, WILL tell them if I have a view about them :D But they get to decide. So ask your RA candidates :D
[14:02] Delia Lake: and that is a Q on the forum right now to RA Candidates
[14:03] Callipygian Christensen: To prive further information, re: Jamie's last comment, that question is in the Forums for all candidates to answer if they choose.
[14:03] Jamie Palisades smiles
[14:03] Callipygian Christensen: Next question is from Pip Torok Q. PIO (Public Information Officer): could each candidate sketch out what the perfect PIO would bring to CDS?
[14:04] Delia Lake: Bagheera, please
[14:04] Bagheera Kristan: Genie in a bottle? *laughs*
[14:05] Jamie Palisades: :)
[14:05] Cindy Ecksol rummages through her inventory
[14:05] Delia Lake stifles a chuckle
[14:06] Delia Lake: anything more, Bagheera?
[14:06] Bagheera Kristan: well, it would be a dream to have a PIO that was tireless and outgoing... seriously...
[14:06] Bagheera Kristan: sorry, I get2 minutes right?
[14:06] Delia Lake: yes
[14:07] Bagheera Kristan: To support the Chancellor, a PIO who helped in greeting new citizens and letting the Chancellor know about covenant disputes, keeping track of what is going on
[14:07] Bagheera Kristan: hard to say.. a guy/gal Friday LOL! but mostly willing to be friends with all citizens
[14:07] Bagheera Kristan: DONE
[14:08] Jamie Palisades: CIO.
[14:08] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera
[14:08] Jamie Palisades: All the stuff Tor did that he had to moonlight for himself. Seriously, dude cloned himself this last term.
[14:08] Delia Lake: Jamie please
[14:08] Jamie Palisades: Events promotion and coordination, arrangement, the SL macro events, Socialmedia links, promotional material, informational signage in world ... and the website needs some care.
[14:08] Jamie Palisades: Outreach to the PrimPerfect and scenic-SL folks like we did before, get some more trade press ...
[14:08] Jamie Palisades: And can we get the sim football teams restarted? (Soccer to Yanks).
[14:08] Jamie Palisades: hmm
[14:08] Jamie Palisades: Interestingly, we HAVE some REALLY talented RL PR people here. That happens not to be the way they have chosen to contribute.
[14:09] Jamie Palisades: Yet.
[14:09] Jamie Palisades: Bags and I might slightly disagree about having a PIO do land stuff.
[14:09] Jamie Palisades: that's sensitive, not promotional.
[14:09] Jamie Palisades: Done.
[14:09] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie. Bagheera, do you have anything to add?
[14:10] Bagheera Kristan: I meant more about keeping the Chancellor informed since the PIO would be among the people... not doing decision making
[14:10] Bagheera Kristan: DONE
[14:10] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera. Any further thoughts, Jamie?
[14:11] Jamie Palisades: Got it. No, thanks.
[14:11] Delia Lake: Thank you both. Next question please, Calli
[14:11] Callipygian Christensen: Next question is from Cindy Ecksol Q. "In his opening statement Jamie said 'I want to see CDS thrive.' Can you both please list at least three specific indicators of 'thriving,' explain why those three are appropriate measures, and tell us specifically how you plan to maximize them?"
[14:12] Jamie Palisades: who;'s up, boss?
[14:12] Delia Lake: This is a question that might require some thought and consideration, not that others haven't but this one is more involved
[14:13] Jamie Palisades: ready when you are.
[14:13] Delia Lake: I'm going to give you another minute to cogitate on this one
[14:14] Delia Lake: then Jamie, if you are ready, you are up first this time. Go ahead
[14:14] Jamie Palisades: right
[14:14] Jamie Palisades: And hi Cindy :) Probably CANT do the second "how" one justice in this format Watch the forums for more. But the LIST is easy.
[14:14] Jamie Palisades: (1) solvency and a cushion that allows us to consider growing.
[14:15] Jamie Palisades: how? budget - mostly already discussed today.
[14:15] Jamie Palisades: Guess what? Staying out of the red is job one :)
[14:15] Jamie Palisades: (2) Increased resident TIME SPENT ON SIM count. Note, that includes # of residents, but means more than just absent tier-payers.
[14:15] Jamie Palisades: How? events, recruitment, being a welcoming diverse community. Expect to hear that last one a LOT from me.
[14:16] Jamie Palisades: (3) -- and I think these are in priority order, solvency must be first --
[14:16] Jamie Palisades: events calendar density, counting both static stuff like exhibits and dynamic stuff like concerts.
[14:16] Jamie Palisades: if people like being here they will do their thing here.
[14:17] Jamie Palisades: How? budget and, as already mentioned, active encouragement.
[14:17] Jamie Palisades: done, thanks.
[14:17] Cindy Ecksol was hoping for more specificity and sighs disappointedly
[14:17] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie
[14:17] Jamie Palisades: not in 2 minutes :) I will POST more though.
[14:18] Delia Lake: Bagheera, please
[14:18] Jamie Palisades: in fact, put it in Calli's Candidate Questions thingie, please.
[14:18] Callipygian Christensen will do so
[14:18] Bagheera Kristan: Hi Cindy and everyone...well, as Jamie said, solvency comes first. I agree 100%.
[14:18] Bagheera Kristan: If we cannot support ourselves, everything else crumbles
[14:19] Bagheera Kristan: so even though I would emotionally want to put citizen happiness at the top of this list, it is #2
[14:19] Cindy Ecksol wonders how you measure "citizen happiness"
[14:19] Bagheera Kristan: So 1 - Solvency, 2 - Citizen happiness, 3 - Constitutional integrity
[14:19] Bagheera Kristan: I'm getting there *laughs*
[14:19] Bagheera Kristan: dos minutos
[14:20] Bagheera Kristan: full sims and events are by products that may or may not come out of those 3 - full sims and events, etc. SERVE to make 1 and 2 happen.
[14:20] CLEOPATRA Xigalia nods
[14:21] Bagheera Kristan: So, I wouldn't say THIS or THAT event or happening, but endeavor to make WHATEVER is done be as inclusive as possible to our existing residents and as inviting as possible to potential residents
[14:22] Bagheera Kristan: A bit part of that is dialogue between the leadership and at least our current citizens.
[14:22] Bagheera Kristan: I personally love events, I know how to promote them and make them happen, I stand ready to put all that to service for CDS...but if you all decide to become cloistered monks... then I must serve your desires
[14:23] Bagheera Kristan: so mostly it is about listening responsively
[14:23] Jamie Palisades: OOh we have a sim for that :D
[14:23] Bagheera Kristan: okay, then Constitutional integrity
[14:23] Delia Lake: Thank you Bagheera
[14:24] Bagheera Kristan: One concern I have had, that inspired me to stand for Chancellor, is people guessing sometimes at what they think the law is, instead of finding it, trusting i and following it
[14:24] Bagheera Kristan: DONE
[14:24] Delia Lake: Jamie, you said that you would post more on the Forum. Since there will be a thread for that I hope you both will do that
[14:24] Jamie Palisades: nods
[14:24] Delia Lake: rather than add more here and now
[14:24] Bagheera Kristan: yes
[14:25] Delia Lake: We have one more audience question, and it will go to Bagheera first
[14:25] Callipygian Christensen: Last question is from Rosie Grey Q Events were mentioned earlier as a key deliverable.Please expand or explain how you would handle events in terms of pragmatic management and marketing?
[14:26] Bagheera Kristan: I believe I touched on that earlier...let me see if I can expand some...
[14:27] Bagheera Kristan: First, I have been following how other large private communities create and promote events in SL - New Babbage, Duche du Couer, Blake Sea Battles -
[14:27] Bagheera Kristan: it was pointed out to me that these are RP sims, but they have sound successful examples that I think are applicable here... so instead of reinventing the wheel, research what works elsewhere
[14:28] Bagheera Kristan: Also, as a shop owner, I have experience with hunts and events for merchants - both cooperatives and grid wide
[14:29] Bagheera Kristan: the details are too numerous to mention... I am very knowledgeable in Search Engine Optimization, how to use groups to advantage, social media, etc.
[14:29] Bagheera Kristan: I hope I've answered your question at least a little...
[14:29] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[14:29] Delia Lake: Thank you, Bagheera. Jamie, please
[14:29] Jamie Palisades: Rosie, there is only one answer. A kick-butt events person. We have had a few. But often, not enough, and sometimes, not any.
[14:29] Jamie Palisades: There is more but much of it is known science in SL.
[14:30] Jamie Palisades: We know MOST of those estates, have friends, can collaborate. Remember the cross-estate Grand Tours? HUGE traffic driver. EASY to get on calendars, talk it up.
[14:30] Jamie Palisades: ARD to choose and liaise with acts, do set-up, streaming. So it's recruitement recruitment recruitment.
[14:30] Jamie Palisades: No small part of which is being a place, and leadership, that creative people WANT to work for :)
[14:30] Jamie Palisades: Done.
[14:30] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie
[14:31] Delia Lake: Do you have anything you would like to add now, Bagheera? If neither of you do, we would move on to closing statements
[14:31] Bagheera Kristan: no, thank you
[14:32] Delia Lake: And with a Campaign thread on the Forum now, you may of course post any thoughts that come to mind later
[14:33] Delia Lake: If none, then let us hear both of your closing statements, with Jamie going first this time please.
[14:33] Jamie Palisades nods
[14:33] Jamie Palisades: Government requires lots of boring detail to keep running. Still, many CDS-ers should be able to live long happy virtual lives without constant perusal of Forum posts and conmplex laws.
[14:33] Jamie Palisades: If you have a taste for that sort of thing, Go look there and you will see that I have been pretty clear and transparent about what I was doing, when running things. That's the way CDS should work. I do NOT at all disagree with Bagheera about "constitutional integrity."
[14:34] Jamie Palisades: Otherwise we're just living in a rental flat with an elected landlord :)
[14:34] Jamie Palisades: But we also must recall that CDS - and SL -- are not a full time MMORPG called "World of Statecraft." Good laws are intuitive and do not constantly annoy people with sharp unexpected egdes.
[14:34] Jamie Palisades: MORE importantly, government in a small residential community needs to be welcoming, facilitative, transparent, even-handed and humble.
[14:35] Jamie Palisades: (OK, hey, so, I got 4 out of 5.)
[14:35] Jamie Palisades: Either of us will make mistakes, unavoidably. Stick around and help. Done.
[14:35] Delia Lake: Thank you, Jamie. Bagheera, please
[14:36] Bagheera Kristan: Jamie is a hard act to follow *smiles* I agree and also.. I believe...
[14:36] Bagheera Kristan: when someone joins us in CDS, we have this structure. .. Constitution, covenants... that they can rest assured protect them... as Jamie says, no sharp edges...
[14:37] Bagheera Kristan: I love the idea of finding out what we can build, we are still at the edge of a frontier in a lot of ways
[14:38] Bagheera Kristan: I would be excited and honored to lead as best I can, to see what happiness we can find in new places/ways here in CDS
[14:38] Bagheera Kristan: DONE
[14:39] Delia Lake: Thank you both very much, Bagheera and Jamie, not only for participating in the debate today but also for stepping up and running for the office of Chancellor
[14:39] Garnet Psaltery: ***** APPLAUSE *****
[14:39] Callipygian Christensen nods and applauds
[14:39] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: ☆Applause☆
[14:39] Cindy Ecksol claps politely
[14:39] Delia Lake: As you both have said, and I also have said many times, the more people in a community who participate the richer that society is
[14:39] Bagheera Kristan: *looks over and applauds Jamie... applauds the audience*
[14:40] Rosie Gray: clap clap clap
[14:40] Pat Sheridan: Thank you both, Jamie and Baheera, as well as Calli and Delia.
[14:40] Bagheera Kristan: Thank you Calli and Delia
[14:40] Jamie Palisades: Well done, Bags, this is the kind of debate CDS SHOULD have, by my lights. Thanks

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Transcripts of the RA and Chancellor Debates”