Candidate debate 11/3

Locked
User avatar
Lilith Ivory
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Candidate debate 11/3

Post by Lilith Ivory »

attending RA candidates: Rosie Gray, Ranma Tardis, Shep Titian, Tor Karlsvalt

---------------------------------------------

[11:06] Callipygian Christensen: Welcome everyone to the first of the debates for candidates for the 20th RA
[11:06] Callipygian Christensen: the notecard giver at the front of the stage has information and the moderators questions
[11:07] Callipygian Christensen: it also tells you how to send in your questions :)
[11:07] Callipygian Christensen: Each candidate receive questions and format before the event so that they could prepare
[11:08] Callipygian Christensen: please keep your greetngs and chat in IM while caniddates are speaking...
[11:08] Callipygian Christensen: and canidates, please respect the timeframes given
[11:08] Jamie Palisades: Just being helpful, just in case, Shep :)
[11:08] Callipygian Christensen: if you are done before your time is up, please say so and we will move on :)
[11:09] Callipygian Christensen: To begin each canddiate will present their platform
[11:09] Callipygian Christensen: they ave 2 mcandidates ready?
[11:10] Callipygian Christensen: oh..my text was eaten..'they have 2 minutes'
[11:10] Callipygian Christensen: Candidates ready?
[11:10] Shep (shep.titian): yes
[11:10] Rosie Gray: yes
[11:10] Tor Karlsvalt: yes
[11:11] Callipygian Christensen: There is a notecard giver at the front of the stage//99 We will begin with Rosie who responded first to the call for presentations
[11:11] Callipygian Christensen sighs
[11:11] Rosie Gray nods
[11:11] Callipygian Christensen: we will begin with Rosie (while I get a new keyboard) Rosie..2 minutes for your platofrm :)
[11:12] Delia Lake: Hello Ranma. if you are presenting today, please take a seat on the stage with other candidates
[11:12] Rosie Gray: okay
[11:12] Rosie Gray: Rosie Gray – my platform for Representative Assembly

I stand for:
• transparency and cooperation in government
• Government should listen openly to citizen ideas, and encourage new initiatives.
• Uphold the covenants in a fair and equitable manner. If covenants need to be changed then address them at that level.
• Create process for real and timely change where necessary
• Freedom of speech and expression
• Tolerance for cultural and religious diversity
• Practicality in financial management and expansion
• Commitment to the high standards of CDS buildings and development
• A diversity of activities in the CDS
[11:13] Rosie Gray: REPRESENTATIVE ASSEMBLY
RA – if elected I would move that the RA post on the CDS forums and on the CDS web portal Minutes of the meetings, in a format showing motions, votes, brief notes of discussions, RA attendance, subjects and follow-up names (consistent with real-world Minute taking).

The Representative Assembly needs to operate in an inclusive and democratic manner with its members. There should be consultation on issues within the assembly. The LRA facilitates the meetings and ensures that protocols are met. Citizen participation in discussions should be encouraged at appropriate times. Discussions should be kept focused to the Agenda.
[11:13] Rosie Gray: COVENANTS
We have a set of covenants for land use on all of the sims. A great deal of thought and discussion with citizens went into these covenants, and without them our sims would eventually turn into a mish-mash, as much of Second Life is. I think that these covenants should be enforced to ensure that this doesn’t happen.
[11:13] Rosie Gray: I think we need to streamline some of the processes to make it easier for people to understand and participate in CDS life. Some of this has been accomplished with the Hippo system and the updating of the sim covenants; initiatives that I have supported and fought for. The concept of covenants should be explained clearly to new citizens, as not all people know what they are, let alone that they need to comply with them when purchasing land.
[11:14] Rosie Gray: INFORMATION
I would like to see a central area in each sim that displays land for sale information and general information about the CDS that is kept up to date at all times.
[11:14] Rosie Gray: A welcome package needs to be developed for new citizens, that includes such things as links to the portal, the forums, brief information on the government system and other institutions such as the CDS Artisan Guild, the MoCa, a list of CDS merchants, etc.
[11:14] louher (louher2) is Online
[11:14] Rosie Gray: I think there should be a public process for reviewing ideas from private citizens wishing to add to or change public spaces, with clear steps on what is expected and how this is accomplished. This is what a planning department does in a City Hall.
[11:14] Rosie Gray: CDS BUSINESSES

To assist CDS businesses in marketing themselves, I would encourage a merchants group to be formed. This group could manage marketing events such as hunts, sales, group advertising etc. I believe this type of group would enhance not only the businesses but the entire CDS would benefit by the additional people coming to shop. This would give a specific merchant/business voice to the CDS.
[11:15] Rosie Gray: CDS ARTISAN GUILD
The CDS Artisan Guild (AG) is a fairly new NGO that has no official standing. I would like to see a process in place that formally involves the AG in assisting the Chancellor on approving new citizen and new public buildings. I would like to see one of the AG Artisan Masters review new buildings with the Chancellor, during the approval process, and assist the Chancellor to discuss any changes with the citizen if they are deemed required.
[11:15] Rosie Gray: For detailed information about the AG, please follow this link: http://portal.slcds.info/index.php/cds- ... -guild/#13
[11:15] Rosie Gray: ABOUT ME:

Through the seven years of my residency in SL, I’ve experienced and participated in various communities throughout the grid. I’ve owned and managed sims and their associated groups and been a part of a large network of sims that collaborated on a Tolkien fantasy theme. I’ve become proficient at building and terrascaping, and have a detailed eye for both. Travelling throughout the grid, I’ve learned the expectations that people have for information when they are considering settling in a sim, and what great diversity the virtual world holds in and for its citizens.
[11:15] Callipygian Christensen: Thanks you Rosie!
[11:15] Rosie Gray: oh am I out of time?
[11:16] Callipygian Christensen: Yes..you will have 2 minutes at the end as well
[11:16] Rosie Gray: ok
[11:17] Callipygian Christensen: Shep you now have 2 minutes or your platform and two minutes for rebuttal..a total of 4 minutes
[11:17] Shep (shep.titian): Hello folks ... many of you know me .. for those who don't hi :) I'm Shep and am the current LRA ...

My platform is a simple one .. I want to help make CDS a vibrant and happy place to belong to ... I want a place where citizens can live in peace .. where we have regular events that make us a place to visit as well ... I'd like to see the educators here ... we have public builds that can be used to help groups ... And hopefully now we have overcome our fear of change maybe regenerate areas such as central CN to be a commercial centre that people want to sell from... I do not advocate spending a lot from the reserves to bolster commerce in a day to day way as they of course would be owners too.

The above of course takes time .. and being CDS even more time after thrashing out every point ... haha ... but I'd love to help with getting it started ..

Thank you for your time in reading my platform ..

Shep ....
[11:17] Shep (shep.titian): Short and hopefully sweet
[11:18] Shep (shep.titian): I'm done Calli
[11:19] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Shep!
[11:19] Callipygian Christensen: Tor, you have 2 minutes for your platform and 2 for rebuttal - a totl of 4 minutes
[11:19] Tor Karlsvalt: I am honored to stand for election to the 20th Representative Assembly.
[11:19] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt: I end a good year as your Chancellor, confident that I and the people working with me have moved CDS forward. Successes such as the new fine Schloss, numerous upgrades to the to walls of Neufreistadt and Colonia Nova, massive reductions in prims used by
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt: Neufreistadt actually has a nice prim buffer now which aids in events on the platz. Many thanks to all who contributed a great deal of time and treasure to keep our sims interesting and magical places for everyone to visit.
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt: Granted I am not an outstanding builder, more a proficient modifier. Yet, I know the Chancellor in particular and any of those who serve CDS, can encourage great efforts from people and unfortunately discourage normally willing contributors.
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt: The record shows, from the Schloss, NFS walls, CN walls, new houses in Colonia Nova, reduced prims counts in NFS and a wonderful Greco-Roman theater that I have succeeded in encouraging renewal in CDS and supported those who are so willing to improve the
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:20] Tor Karlsvalt: But what of the next term? Much work remains to be done. Locus Amoenus a huge project may yet be unfinished by the end of the 19th term. I am resolved that as an RA member I will work within the RA to further the renewal of Locus Amoenus into a region
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Renewal of Locus Amoenus should be our primary objective.
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: This January, I will have been a continuous citizen of CDS for four years. Since at least April 2010, I have had a winery in Locus Amoenus. It has long been a sim held in some favor by me and I have long wished to have it succeed and evidenced by my con
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Other initiatives pale in importance to the issue of the renewal of Locus Amoenus. Some have advanced efforts to re-write the constitiution in order to weaken the Office of Chancellor.
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Or offered exasperating plans to redistribute the wealth of CDS among residents. Or belong to groups suggesting that the International Declaration of Human Rights be removed from our Founding Documents.
[11:21] You decline Digital Dream Furniture and HUD, Roleplay Toy and Outdoor from A group member named Debbie Warcliffe.
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: All these issues sidetrack us form our main duty and do nothing to keep our democracy strong and keep it resilient.
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Our main goal should be the transformation and renewal of Locus Amoenus into a Tuscan themed region which will be an attraction for current and future citizens of CDS.
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Vote for me, Tor Karlsvalt, to support this effort and for the maintenance of good democratic government.
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Remember, polls open at noon SLT, November 9th and close at noon SLT, November 16th.
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Thank you,
[11:21] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:22] Tor Karlsvalt: done
[11:23] Callipygian Christensen: Since candidates have been posting large blocks of text, I'll delay for a few minutes at the end of this portion for people to read back if needed
[11:23] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Tor!
[11:23] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma..you now have 2 minutes for your platform and 2 for rebuttal, a total of 4 minutes
[11:23] Ranma Tardis: Thank you and sorry for being late
[11:24] Chat Range: Thompson Dawes [6m]
[11:24] Ranma Tardis: my main platform is to find a way forward in which the entire community reaches consenses.
[11:25] Ranma Tardis: I know this is not always possible am aware of my mistakes in the 19th RA. I view this election as a test to see if I got on the RA from popular support of just because noone else wanted it
[11:27] Ranma Tardis: Support remaking LA as there is no way back but to go forward. We must heal the divisions in our community or risk breaking apart. I will appreciate your support.
[11:27] Ranma Tardis: Thank You
[11:27] Ranma Tardis: done
[11:27] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Ranma!
[11:27] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie, you now hve the final 2 minutes for rebuttal or expansion
[11:28] Quentin Lovenkraft is Online
[11:28] Rosie Gray: thank you, I will first finish off my platform
[11:28] Rosie Gray: For the past three and a half years I’ve had the pleasure of making the CDS my SL home. The CDS has a strong base of community with people that enjoy and care about what it stands for. It's important to me that CDS is run democratically - a refreshing breeze in the autocratic virtual world of SL.
[11:28] Rosie Gray: In my real life I work with small business groups, coordinate public events, work with committees, non-profit societies, city councillors and planners, run a business, and I’m an independent graphic designer and web developer. My past work experience includes television production, newspaper advertising and production, and I continue to manage marketing campaigns in all mediums.
[11:28] Rosie Gray: Thanks to everyone who is passionate about and works so hard for the community. Whether or not I am elected I will continue to support CDS initiatives to the best of my ability.

Sincerely,
Rosie Gray
[11:28] Rosie Gray: and now
[11:30] Rosie Gray: I would ask the other candidates what their positions are on the restrictions that have been proposed for the Chancellors position
[11:30] Rosie Gray: don
[11:30] Rosie Gray: done*
[11:30] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie - Delia will post that to the questions list :)
[11:30] Rosie Gray: ok
[11:31] Callipygian Christensen: for those who need to catch up reading the text, we'll pasuse for a minute or two
[11:31] You decline The Dominion Members Only EVENTS SPACE from A group member named Evangeline Eames.
[11:31] Callipygian Christensen: For those snoozing in the back row, there will be a transcript of this event posted to the Forums :)
[11:32] Delia Lake: and for those of you who have caught up and have questions, please IM them to me.
[11:32] Callipygian Christensen: for those who arrived during the presntations, the box at the front has a otecard with info
[11:32] Tor Karlsvalt gave you Tor Karlsvalt for RA, Nov 9 thru 16th 2013.
[11:32] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: thank you for the notecard Tor.
[11:33] Callipygian Christensen: We will continue with the Moderator's questions now
[11:34] Callipygian Christensen: These questiosn came from CDS citizens, new and not so new
[11:34] Callipygian Christensen: Each candidate has 2 minutes to answer each question. After all questions, each candidate will hve 4 minutes to wrap up , rebut, expand.
[11:35] Callipygian Christensen: we move to Shep to go first with question 1
[11:35] Callipygian Christensen: 1) Many citizens of CDS indicate they have no interest in politics.
How do you plan to engage those citizens to ensure that you represent the 'silent majority', as well as those who are very vocal about their needs and wants.
[11:36] Callipygian Christensen: 2 minutes to you Shep
[11:37] Shep (shep.titian): Sorry was still reading
[11:38] Shep (shep.titian): I rather like the ules as they stand
[11:38] Rosie Gray thinks Shep is on the wrong question
[11:39] Shep (shep.titian): Sorry yes
[11:39] Callipygian Christensen: Time is up - Shep, perhaps you can answer during your last 4 minutes time allotment
[11:39] Shep (shep.titian): The way I do that at the moment is simply talk to people .. but it is'nt an easy one to solve ... there are many who don't spend much time here ... but we don't make plans without there being advertised times in group and notecard .. and of course the forum has some lively conversations ... so with all the information out there I am inclined to think that silence means we're doing ok ...
[11:39] Callipygian Christensen: Tor - 2 minutes for question 1 1) Many citizens of CDS indicate they have no interest in politics.
How do you plan to engage those citizens to ensure that you represent the 'silent majority', as well as those who are very vocal about their needs and wants.
[11:40] Tor Karlsvalt:
[11:40] Tor Karlsvalt: First and foremost I will be in world. As most of you know, I favor the in-world experience and feel that we create this community to join together to create a virtual democratic simulation.

I am always open to visitors and IM from all corners of CDS. As most of you know, I often say hello to check in with people and ask their opinions.
[11:41] Tor Karlsvalt: I have always spent a great deal of time seeking out the opinions of some of our more reticent citizens.
[11:42] Tor Karlsvalt: I feel many have a lot to offer CDS and knowing interests helps in being and agent for connecting people.
[11:42] Tor Karlsvalt: All this can help make CDS more vibrant and keep people interested in more than the politics of CDS.
[11:42] Callipygian Christensen: TIme is up.thank you Tor
[11:43] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma..2 minutes for question 1 1) Many citizens of CDS indicate they have no interest in politics.
How do you plan to engage those citizens to ensure that you represent the 'silent majority', as well as those who are very vocal about their needs and wants.
[11:43] Ranma Tardis: This is a real problem not only with the CDS but rl
[11:44] Ranma Tardis: When I was in city council many people wanted this or that while the content did not speak out. I made a real mistake in this term forgetting
[11:44] Ranma Tardis: that content people do not make noise. they have other things in thei lives besides politics
[11:45] Ranma Tardis: so I pledge to lesten to the silent majority in making future decisions
[11:45] Callipygian Christensen: time is up..thank you Ranma
[11:46] Ranma Tardis: we can learn to communicate toughter and become a more solid community
[11:46] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie..2 minutes for question 1 1) Many citizens of CDS indicate they have no interest in politics.
How do you plan to engage those citizens to ensure that you represent the 'silent majority', as well as those who are very vocal about their needs and wants.
[11:46] Rosie Gray: thank you Calli
[11:46] Rosie Gray: To ensure that I have a good idea of what citizens needs and wants are, I will chat with people to get to know them (as I try to do anyway) and ask open ended questions about life here in the CDS, and encourage people to discuss their ideas.
[11:46] Rosie Gray: I’ll also set up a mail-box for people to leave notes for me, if they so wish.
[11:46] Rosie Gray: When it comes to some specific important question that might affect people that may not know what the issue is, I would as an RA member move that a commission be struck to canvas citizens.
[11:47] Rosie Gray: This has been done successfully in the past for issues such as covenant changes, which ensures that all affected citizens have been personally approached and had a chance to express their view.
[11:47] Rosie Gray: done
[11:47] Callipygian Christensen: there is a minute remaining for people to catch up on reading :)
[11:49] Callipygian Christensen: Before we move to question 2 - a candidate passed out a notecard during the last round, and may not have realized that campaign rules apply even during the debates. I ask candidates to refrain from dropping unsolicited notecards at any time . Citizens may choose to delete or not as they see fit.
[11:50] Callipygian Christensen: We are starting question 2 with Tor
[11:50] Callipygian Christensen: Tor, 2 minutes for question 2) Is it your opinion that we wish to encourage particular types of people to settle in CDS, and, if so, what types are they?
[11:51] Tor Karlsvalt: Preferably tier paying people. Our current residents are our best asset in attracting new members. We should encourage any citizen with certain groups or interests to have meetings or events here in CDS. This passive approach will advertise our brand and our sims mission in SL.

Our residents and sims our our resource. All should be used in attracting a diverse population.
For me one of the huge attractions of CDS is the wide variety of nations represented among its citizens. We should highlight this factor whenever possible.
[11:51] Tor Karlsvalt: Done
[11:52] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Tor
[11:52] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma is next, 2 minutes for question2) Is it your opinion that we wish to encourage particular types of people to settle in CDS, and, if so, what types are they?
[11:53] Ranma Tardis: We need diversity in our population and while it is nice to have paying citizens people can contribute in other ways
[11:54] Ranma Tardis: I do support that only tier paying residents get to vote but our CDS is often so empty and we need to bring life to it
[11:54] Ranma Tardis: am remined of going to a museum or to the living room that is never used
[11:55] Callipygian Christensen: time is up..thank you Ranma
[11:55] Ranma Tardis: we need all types of people in CDS and not just copies of ourselves
[11:55] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie 2 minutes for question 2) Is it your opinion that we wish to encourage particular types of people to settle in CDS, and, if so, what types are they?
[11:55] Rosie Gray: thank you
[11:55] Rosie Gray: I’m not sure that we need ‘particular types’ of people settling in the CDS other than their genuine desire to do so, and their willingness to abide by our laws and covenants.
[11:55] Rosie Gray: Everyone who would like to become a part of our community, either as an active member that participates in the democratic process, runs a business or gets involved in the various groups are wonderful additions to any community, and would be to the CDS.
[11:56] Rosie Gray: People who are primarily social and love to go to or host events, and those that just want a quiet SL life in the CDS, whether they may be retreating from intense activity in another part of the grid or just prefer to keep to themselves should be welcomed.
[11:56] Rosie Gray: done
[11:56] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Rosie
[11:57] Callipygian Christensen: a reminder to those attending..if you have questions to pose, please IM them to Delia
[11:57] Callipygian Christensen: We begin question 3 with Ranma
[11:58] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma 2 minutes for question
3) How do you intend to build a more vibrant, active community in CDS?
[11:59] Callipygian Christensen: OH! shoot the moderator!
[11:59] Callipygian Christensen: Shep, my apologies
[11:59] Ranma Tardis: We need to get more involvment and even people in the sims. I asked Desmond Shang once why he does not allow payment by pay pal. He said that many of the land owners would never show up!
[11:59] Shep (shep.titian): Nps :)
[11:59] Callipygian Christensen: still on question 2..and apologies to the audience also
[11:59] Shep (shep.titian): AS with any town etc there are usually diverse groups etc wishing to live here ... I have no problems with anyones creed colour or religion .. I only have a problem with trouble makers ... so no to encouraging specific types
[12:00] Shep (shep.titian): Done
[12:00] Ranma Tardis: So what we need to do is have more events like Widget and get people to
[12:00] Ranma Tardis: taps fingers
[12:00] Callipygian Christensen: Let me pot that fully for those reading
[12:00] Ranma Tardis: thank you for waiting
[12:01] Callipygian Christensen: Sheps answer to question 2:
[12:01] Ranma Tardis: can I resume? now that I have been interupted
[12:01] Callipygian Christensen: AS with any town etc there are usually diverse groups etc wishing to live here ... I have no problems with anyones creed colour or religion .. I only have a problem with trouble makers ... so no to encouraging specific types
[12:01] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma's text so far:
[12:02] Callipygian Christensen: We need to get more involvment and even people in the sims. I asked Desmond Shang once why he does not allow payment by pay pal. He said that many of the land owners would never show up!
[12:02] Ranma Tardis: and
[12:02] Callipygian Christensen: then please go on Ranma
[12:03] Chat Range: Shep Titian [8m]
[12:04] Ranma Tardis: ok I was speaking about the good Work of Widget and her getting people involved. While I do not always agree think her spirt of community is what it takes to enrich our lives. Perhaps we can have festables in which we can share our culture
[12:05] Ranma Tardis: with each other. Builders can hold classes and people like me can talk about our lives experience
[12:05] Ranma Tardis: the point is we can all contribute and we all have value
[12:05] Ranma Tardis: thank you
[12:05] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Ranma..and apologies for the interruption
[12:06] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie is next
[12:06] Rosie Gray: thank you Calli
[12:06] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie, 2 minutes for 3) How do you intend to build a more vibrant, active community in CDS?
[12:06] Rosie Gray: If I’m elected, I would like to set up a process for individuals who want to host regular (or even irregular) events so that they know what resources are available to assist them.
[12:06] Rosie Gray: This would include a list of public spaces that can be used as well as other information such as possible ‘grants’ from the treasury, how to go about requesting such, and a list of citizens who are willing to help with various event requirements.
[12:06] Rosie Gray: As a member of the CDS Artisan Guild I would continue to encourage citizen creators to join the guild, and have the guild host workshops in the NFS school, that the various members could facilitate, to share their skills.
[12:07] Rosie Gray: I would like to see the CDS as a community and land for sale advertised in appropriate areas of the grid, and I would continue to support the CDS Facebook page and blog social media.
[12:07] Rosie Gray: thank you
[12:07] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Rosie
[12:08] Callipygian Christensen: Shep next. Shep, 2 minutes for question 3) How do you intend to build a more vibrant, active community in CDS?
[12:08] Shep (shep.titian): By being sensible about what can be changed and what can't ... I think some are a bit fixed in the past .. saying oh we can't change 'X' because so and so built it ... yes we have a precious history .. but we have to move forward .. change what is'nt working ... and by encouraging everyone who wants to be involved to come forward and join in .
[12:09] Shep (shep.titian): Done
[12:09] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Shep
[12:10] Callipygian Christensen: Tor next. Tor, 2 minutes for question 3) How do you intend to build a more vibrant, active community in CDS?
[12:10] Tor Karlsvalt: First I will be involved. I don’t mean to say that I am a vibrant and cat’s meow of AVs. But I do believe in making the sims live. All of us are bricks of this building and we all need to take part in its life. I, personally, have always found enormous pleasure in getting know most citizens. I would hope to encourage everyone to do the same. SL and particularly CDS offers a great opportunity for us to experience many interesting people. I certainly feel CDS has expanded my knowledge of the RL in my conversations and friendships formed here. In that vein I would like to see established a tradition from Cedar Island, a weekly conversation hour. It was open to all, members and non members and free of politics but was full of friendly conversation and talk about issues. I think such an event would do a lot to make CDS a place for fun and interesting conversation, not merely a dreaded political cauldron.
[12:11] Tor Karlsvalt: All this and not to mention, I love finding people who will do stuff.
[12:12] Tor Karlsvalt: Recently one of our new residents offered to have a Halloween party and enlisted two other new citizens to help with it.
[12:12] Callipygian Christensen: time is up thank you Tor
[12:13] Tor Karlsvalt: ok
[12:13] Callipygian Christensen: We move on to question 4 beginning with Rosie
[12:13] Rosie Gray: thanks
[12:13] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie..2 minutes for question 4) Vacancy rates have an impact on CDS economic stability and on the businesses and community activities of CDS; the coming changes to Locus Amoenus are a result of such vacancies.
If Locus Amoenus (or any sim) continues to have empty parcels for extended periods would you propose adjustments or changes, and if so, what adjustments or changes would you suggest.?
[12:14] Rosie Gray: If any of the sims have extended periods of time with empty parcels and is unable to cover the costs of the sim tier, I would propose that we consider redoing the sim to another theme (just as we are with LA right now),
[12:14] Rosie Gray: or consider downgrading the sim to a homestead sim that would house the existing citizens on that sim.
[12:14] Rosie Gray: I would not want to allow a consistently failing sim to continue for longer than 6 months without doing one of those 2 things.
[12:14] Rosie Gray: If a sim is rebuilt and still does not cover its own tier to LL (after an appropriate length of time to give it a chance) I would propose closing it altogether.
[12:14] Rosie Gray: I would not want to deplete the treasury supporting a sim that not enough citizens are interested in.
[12:14] Rosie Gray: I would not want to raise tier on all of the sims in order to support a largely empty sim.
[12:15] Rosie Gray: done
[12:15] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Rosie
[12:15] Callipygian Christensen: Shep next - 2 minutes for question 4) Vacancy rates have an impact on CDS economic stability and on the businesses and community activities of CDS; the coming changes to Locus Amoenus are a result of such vacancies.
If Locus Amoenus (or any sim) continues to have empty parcels for extended periods would you propose adjustments or changes, and if so, what adjustments or changes would you suggest.?
[12:16] Shep (shep.titian): If that happened I would suggest big changes .. as we are about to make on LA .. tweaking the odd building won't make the place more attractive ... but if that did'nt work and we were losing a lot of money .. I would'nt be afraid to suggest we consolidate until such time as people are looking again .. it has'nt been only us having problems with occupancy and I think as we all own these sims we have fared better than a single owner would as we are all invested in making it work ... But I love these sims and want to see them flourish .
[12:16] Shep (shep.titian): Done
[12:17] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Shep
[12:17] Callipygian Christensen: Tor is next - 2 minutes for question 4) Vacancy rates have an impact on CDS economic stability and on the businesses and community activities of CDS; the coming changes to Locus Amoenus are a result of such vacancies.
If Locus Amoenus (or any sim) continues to have empty parcels for extended periods would you propose adjustments or changes, and if so, what adjustments or changes would you suggest.?
[12:19] Tor Karlsvalt: Naturally, this has been a problem for some time. I believe LA has been a problem almost from its inception. And a democracy at times is slow to get a handle on problems such as a sim that is not performing.
The path to follow here is to keep the issue in the public discourse. Everyone needs to know the situation and possible solutions, even the hard ones of possibly closing a sim.

I am, I think this is no surprise, in favor of keeping Locus Amoens but changing the theme to a Tuscan theme. Although this is a tough change, I feel it is motivated to one, provide theme more popular in SL, two be harmonious with Colonia Nova and Monastery and three, offer a theme that is not severely different from the Greco-Roman theme. This I believe is the path we should follow.
[12:19] Tor Karlsvalt: whew had a bit of a freeze
[12:20] Tor Karlsvalt: done
[12:20] Callipygian Christensen: glad you thawed in time there tor!
[12:20] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Tor
[12:20] Callipygian Christensen: Rnama is next with 2 minutes for question 4) Vacancy rates have an impact on CDS economic stability and on the businesses and community activities of CDS; the coming changes to Locus Amoenus are a result of such vacancies.
If Locus Amoenus (or any sim) continues to have empty parcels for extended periods would you propose adjustments or changes, and if so, what adjustments or changes would you suggest.?
[12:21] Ranma Tardis: LA was a problem child from the very beginning
[12:21] Ranma Tardis: CN was not yet full and itself was a problem
[12:22] Ranma Tardis: neuf started out as a German themed sim and the coup changed course
[12:22] Ranma Tardis: how to fix things
[12:22] Ranma Tardis: let the citizens have more felxibility on building and have a larger group of diverse citizens
[12:23] Ranma Tardis: that way if a large land owner or land owner leave it is not disaster
[12:24] Callipygian Christensen: time is up...thank you Ranma
[12:24] Ranma Tardis: I say we need to be more mindful on what people want and if we tear things down to make new constantly, this is just a 5 sim sandbox
[12:24] Callipygian Christensen: Each candidate will now have 4 minutes for any rebuttal, expansion, or completion of their thughts on the 4 questions.
[12:25] Callipygian Christensen: We begin with Shep
[12:25] Callipygian Christensen: Shep - 4 minutes time for you
[12:25] Shep (shep.titian): Are we taking questions?
[12:26] Alexia Carnell is Offline
[12:26] Callipygian Christensen: Shep - weare taking questions once this time for each of yu is over
[12:27] Shep (shep.titian): well as I said ... My dream is to see these sims thriving
[12:27] Shep (shep.titian): I agree with Rosioe that we need covenants .. but they could be simplified
[12:29] Shep (shep.titian): But making this place beautiful .. as a lot already is .. will bring people here to explore
[12:29] Shep (shep.titian): Hopefully love the charm and join us
[12:29] Shep (shep.titian): In time iof we achieve all this I would like to see new sims added
[12:31] Callipygian Christensen: time is up - thank you Shep
[12:31] Shep (shep.titian): I'd like one quite soon .. if LA fills up after the makeover I think we should invest in a sim that gives us more space .. Tor I think suggested a ski lodge
[12:31] Callipygian Christensen: Tor is next. Tor, you have 4 minutes of time
[12:31] Shep (shep.titian): Thank you
[12:31] Tor Karlsvalt: Thank you.
[12:32] Tor Karlsvalt: Basically I have not heard much her that I would disagree with.
[12:33] Tor Karlsvalt: I also share a desire to see the sims thrive. Who wouldn't. However, I do not favor expanding until we have LA stabilized.
[12:33] Tor Karlsvalt: There is much work to be done on that front and it is for the officers of CDS to encourage people to volunteer their considerable talents on forming a sim.
[12:34] RLV Cage (SSBMT-004): Axe has escaped from the cage and has less than 5 minutes to return. If they do not the key will be returned and the cage reset.
[12:34] Tor Karlsvalt: Perhaps it is a disadvantage in some regard to come to a home sim and find that there is work waiting. But this is also what makes CDS fun and interesting.
[12:35] Tor Karlsvalt: I am so aware that we live here in a world built by its citizens.
[12:35] Callipygian Christensen: /time is up..thank you Tor
[12:35] Tor Karlsvalt: We certainly look like we are floundering from the outside, but if one looks close you see people doing here what is never done in SL.
[12:35] Tor Karlsvalt: oops
[12:35] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma is next - 4 minutes time for you Ranma
[12:36] Ranma Tardis: First I want to thank Tor Karlsvalt for doing an outstanding job as Chancellor
[12:37] Ranma Tardis: Next I would like to thank Shep Titian for her outstanding job as LRA. These are hard thankless jobs
[12:37] Ranma Tardis: Next my fellow members of the 18th and 19th RA's. Bags and Tan
[12:38] Ranma Tardis: add to that Moonrise
[12:38] Ranma Tardis: I think there is so much we can do but need to stay on a more positive note.
[12:38] Ranma Tardis: Yes an easy thing for Ranma the "bombthrower" to say
[12:39] Ranma Tardis: however I like to think of it as a growing experience
[12:39] Ranma Tardis: I would be very happy for any one supporting me for the 20th RA
[12:39] Ranma Tardis: To finish I say
[12:39] Ranma Tardis: Peace be with you
[12:40] Ranma Tardis: Thank you for your support
[12:40] Ranma Tardis: done
[12:40] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Ranma
[12:40] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie, you now have 4 minutes of time
[12:40] Rosie Gray: thank you
[12:41] Rosie Gray: I agree with Shep that something can be done to simplify the way we distribute information about the covenants. It could be streamlined and the wording put in easier to read format – point form perhaps, and with links to full texts which would be easier to read, might work.
[12:41] Rosie Gray: This is a difficult issue about the covenants, because I strongly feel that if we don’t have details in the covenants that we will end up eventually with the kind of thing you find on most of the mainland – an erratic mishmash.
[12:41] Rosie Gray: This would not serve the citizens well in the end.
[12:42] Rosie Gray: My sincere hope is for the CDS to continue to flourish and be the stimulating, fun, and welcoming community that it has been to various successes.
[12:42] Rosie Gray: Some time ago I posted my ‘vision’ for the CDS
[12:42] Rosie Gray: on the forums. And if I can find it again fast enough, I'll post the link here
[12:43] Rosie Gray: I spend almost all my SL time in this community, and I love it
[12:43] Rosie Gray: I really don't like the feuding that sometimes develops when people take up some specific issue as their cause
[12:44] Rosie Gray: and pick at others when they are trying to accomplish something
[12:44] Rosie Gray: I'd like to encourage a spirit of cooperation in the community :)
[12:45] Rosie Gray: while I applaud certain sentiments expressed here today, without specific processes on how to accomplish things
[12:45] Callipygian Christensen: time is up thank you Rosie
[12:45] Rosie Gray: I think we are just whistling dixie
[12:45] Rosie Gray: thank you
[12:46] Callipygian Christensen: The moderator's questions are completed and we will move to questions from the audience that have been sent to Delia
[12:46] Delia Lake: Phew. glad to be back. I had a system's crash
[12:47] Callipygian Christensen: Delia will pose the question and identify who asked it. Candidates will have 2 mintes each to answer.
[12:47] Delia Lake: We do have some questions from the audience today. Although they are not identical, there are 2 questions that are related so I will put them up together.
[12:48] Delia Lake: The first is from Stephen and the second is from Lam
[12:48] Delia Lake: [11:20] Stephen Xootfly: Q: For those of you hoping to bring in specific outside groups (i.e. educators, merchants, etc) how will you entice them to the CDS and what role do you see them playing in CDS government?
[12:48] Delia Lake: [12:06] Lam Erin: "What are your plans for the development of the commercial areas of CDS sims. Currently at LA and CN there are a number of stores vacant. What are your plans for attracting business people and how do you intend to support them after they will have joined CDS"
[12:49] Callipygian Christensen: we will give candidates 2 minutes to consider their answers, then begin
[12:49] Alexia Carnell is Online
[12:51] Callipygian Christensen: Candidates ready?
[12:52] Rosie Gray nods
[12:52] Ranma Tardis: hai!
[12:53] Callipygian Christensen: I beilieve Tor mya be frozen again
[12:54] Callipygian Christensen: I see him typing but no words are appearing
[12:54] Tor Karlsvalt: no ready
[12:54] Tor Karlsvalt: sust was typing
[12:54] Callipygian Christensen: Tor..you are first..2 minutes for the questions
[12:54] Tor Karlsvalt: I welcome commercial businesses, I think we can look at providing some directory of business in commercial areas. However, at I note businesses should be primarily responsible for their own promotions and profitability.
[12:55] Tor Karlsvalt: That said I always believe the CDS government should support commerce during it events.
[12:56] Tor Karlsvalt: Oktoberfest is an example where the community provided space for vendors.
[12:56] Tor Karlsvalt: I do think that the Commerce Coordinator is available for a person willing to take it on
[12:56] Tor Karlsvalt: I would encourage the Chancellor to fill that position.
[12:56] Tor Karlsvalt: done
[12:57] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Tor
[12:57] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma..2 minutes for the questions
[12:58] Ranma Tardis: Wish Stephan woulf stayed for an answer and better yet had taken the stage as a RA canidate
[12:58] Ranma Tardis: the problem we have is not unlike rl stores
[12:58] Ranma Tardis: something has to bring people to a location. empty store even with goods do not work
[12:59] Ranma Tardis: we have to find a way to attract people to our sims
[12:59] Ranma Tardis: this is the root of our and other sim groups
[12:59] Ranma Tardis: what comes first the chicken or the egg
[12:59] Ranma Tardis: also wished that Cleo would of been on stage as well
[13:00] Callipygian Christensen: time is up, thank you Ranma
[13:00] Ranma Tardis: the best way is to be active in our community and be respectful of others
[13:00] Ranma Tardis: thank you
[13:00] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie - you have 2 minutes for the questions
[13:00] Rosie Gray: thanks
[13:01] Rosie Gray: I agree with Tor that businesses should be primarily responsible for their own promotions and profitability. But, there are some ways that the gov’t can assist:
[13:01] Rosie Gray: As I’ve said in my platform: To assist CDS businesses in marketing themselves, I would encourage a merchants group to be formed. This group could manage marketing events such as hunts, sales, group advertising etc.
[13:01] Rosie Gray: I believe this type of group would enhance not only the businesses but the entire CDS would benefit by the additional people coming to shop. This would give a specific merchant/business voice to the CDS.
[13:01] Rosie Gray: There is definitely room for some redevelopment of the commercial areas of the sims.
[13:01] Rosie Gray: CN has some old, not very functional buildings that could be redeveloped to make them look more enticing.
[13:02] Rosie Gray: Also, there is the problem of citizens renting the spaces and not putting anything in them, which is not supportive of the area as a shopping destination.
[13:02] Rosie Gray: I'd like to find some mechanism to ensure that when someone purchases a shop, that they actually use it
[13:03] Callipygian Christensen: /time is up..thank you Rosie
[13:03] Rosie Gray: ok thank you
[13:03] Callipygian Christensen: Finally Shep, you have 2 minutes for the questions
[13:03] Shep (shep.titian): thx
[13:03] Shep (shep.titian): Steven ... With groups like educators we can give them space for their meetings .. our public builds are under utilised at the moment .. I don't see them playing a part in government other than being as free as any other citizen to stand for election
[13:04] Shep (shep.titian): and
[13:04] Shep (shep.titian): Lam ... I intend to pick your brain on ways of attracting stores and what they need in terms of buildings :)
As for supporting them .. I would imagine A co-operation around events etc .. but I would'nt extend to support in any financial way
[13:04] Shep (shep.titian): Done
[13:05] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Shep
[13:06] Callipygian Christensen: Two announcements a moment before we continue
[13:06] Delia Lake: Thank you all. We are going to try to wrap up by 1:30. That means we will not get through all the questions, and will put the remaining ones on the Forum. We ask that the candidates go to the Forum to post responses there
[13:06] Delia Lake: Next question comes from Jamie.
[13:06] Delia Lake: [11:23] Jamie Palisades: Q: All of you are in the government now. You describe many things that ought to be done -- but have not been done. If you didn't do them before, in 6 months, why should voters assume you will do them now?
[13:06] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Delia
[13:07] Callipygian Christensen: 2 minutes to prepare candidates
[13:07] Jamie Palisades smiles and waves from his box.
[13:07] CLEOPATRA Xigalia :)
[13:09] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma leads off this time - Ranma..2 minutes
[13:09] Jamie Palisades: Obviously, I am referring to things like covenant reform, relations with commercial vendors, and Locus AM.
[13:09] Ranma Tardis: Yes Jamie my friend
[13:10] Ranma Tardis: the schloss was redone with the help of two esteemed citizens
[13:10] Ranma Tardis: I thin communication is our problem
[13:10] Ranma Tardis: they say Americans and British people are two nations devided by a common language
[13:11] Ranma Tardis: as for LA the RA has passed every piece of legistlation presented
[13:11] Ranma Tardis: it is just that a lack of communication and hold myself guilty is a contining problem
[13:12] Callipygian Christensen: time is up..thank you Ranma
[13:12] Ranma Tardis: think we need to get toughter and kibitz more often
[13:12] Ranma Tardis: thank you
[13:12] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie is up next - 2 minutes Rosie
[13:12] Rosie Gray: thanks
[13:12] Rosie Gray: Actually, I am not in the government now Jamie 
[13:13] Rosie Gray: if you were referring to the CDS Artisan Guild, it is an NGO
[13:13] Rosie Gray: However, as a citizen I have done my best to enable the now outgoing government to achieve their goals.
[13:13] Rosie Gray: The last RA was a small one, and I think they found it challenging to get things done with so few people assisting, and with some aggressive challenges to deal with.
[13:13] Rosie Gray: Having said that, the creation of the new Schloss, the Oktoberfest celebrations and other events were successful.
[13:14] Jamie Palisades smiles. Official role of Guild = topic for another time perhaps.
[13:14] Rosie Gray: I can only say that I will work to the best of my abilities to bring the community together with the ideas that are presented.
[13:14] Rosie Gray: :)
[13:14] Rosie Gray: if I'm elected.
[13:14] Rosie Gray: thank you
[13:15] Jamie Palisades: (and yes, the new Schloss you and Sudane built is *lovely.*)
[13:15] Callipygian Christensen: n you Rosie
[13:15] Jamie Palisades: (woooo text lag)
[13:15] Callipygian Christensen: Shep..2 minutes for the question
[13:15] Shep (shep.titian): WE have done a lot .. the new Schloss .. this amphitheatre ... almost set to redo LA .. that was delayed some weeks around the Cedar time .. and we were right to wait .. we have had people away from RA through illness and net problems .. there was the LL birthday bash .. well done Tor and Lil ... and of course Oktoberfest .. I think for 6 months work we did rather well
[13:16] Rosie Gray entirely agrees with Shep
[13:16] Shep (shep.titian): Done
[13:17] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Shep
[13:18] Callipygian Christensen: Since people and candidates may need to get to other things, there are 4 reamining questions that will be posted to the Forums where every candidate can reply to them
[13:19] Callipygian Christensen: we will close by giving each candidate 2 minutes for any final words - thoe of you wishing to stay and meet n' greet are welcome to! And thank you ALL for participating today..cancdidates and audience!
[13:19] Jamie Palisades: (I should point out that I completely agree with Shep about the great acheivements done in events and building. I remain concerned about the speed, and process, of law and covenant change. More on that in OUR debates tomorrow, perhaps.)
[13:19] Tor Karlsvalt: i don't think I answered Jamie
[13:19] Callipygian Christensen: So Tor..
[13:19] Jamie Palisades: Yup.
[13:19] Tor Karlsvalt: A lot has been done in all the sims over the past six months to a year. New Schloss, most of NFS has probably been redone with CH applied to fachwerk and public buildings where possible, SL10B was a successful undertaking to advance the CDS brand in SL, Oktoberfest required a lot of effort on many people, New houses have been added to CN, I probably could go on. All this from a relatively few involved citizens. I don’t normally blow my horn, but I and several here have spent a considerable time making CDS better. So yes, we need to continue with the project of LA. That problem remained illusive for reasons in SL and in RL. I can end by saying Jamie, that we have left CDS with only one major project, LA. For you or Bags the agenda will easier. :)
[13:19] Callipygian Christensen: Tor..2 minutes for the question before wind up time
[13:20] Callipygian Christensen: (text going out of order there..lag time!)
[13:21] Tor Karlsvalt: I just thank you all for coming today. I am heartened by all the interest in our elections this term. I think this is a wonderful beginning to a new term.
[13:21] Tor Karlsvalt: Please vote for me, I am a dilligent worker for and servant for CDS.
[13:22] Tor Karlsvalt: I have worked to forge respect for CDS among its citizens and in other estates.
[13:22] Tor Karlsvalt: I would like to continue that work.
[13:22] Tor Karlsvalt: thanks
[13:22] Callipygian Christensen: time is up - thank you Tor
[13:23] Callipygian Christensen: Final words forom each candidate start back where we began, with Rosie
[13:23] Rosie Gray: thank you Calli
[13:23] Callipygian Christensen: Rosie - 2 minutes of wrap up time to you
[13:23] Rosie Gray: I would like to thank the outgoing RA for all their hard work, and Tor for his excellent stewardship as Chancellor
[13:24] Rosie Gray: I'd also like to encourage new citizens to get to know all of the candidates if you can
[13:24] Rosie Gray: and to not be discouraged by what may seem at first a lot of talk
[13:24] Rosie Gray: this is how the democratic process works
[13:25] Rosie Gray: please vote for me, for RA
[13:25] Rosie Gray: thank you
[13:25] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Rosie
[13:25] Callipygian Christensen: Shep, you have 2 minutes for wrap up
[13:27] Shep (shep.titian): I just want to say I have loved being on the RA .. loved being LRA .. it has been my honour to serve .. if you would like me to continue I would be delighted .. so please consider voting for me :)
[13:27] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Shep
[13:28] Callipygian Christensen: Tor - 2 minutes to wrap up
[13:29] Tor Karlsvalt: oh I thought I did already.
[13:29] Callipygian Christensen: ok -..a man of few words :)
[13:29] Tor Karlsvalt: I think we got mixed up a bit when I didn't get to answer Jamie. I did then did the wrap up.
[13:30] Callipygian Christensen: then thank you Tor..and my apologies -text got ut of order
[13:30] Tor Karlsvalt: np
[13:30] Callipygian Christensen: Ranma..you get the last word today - 2 minutes wrap up time
[13:30] Ranma Tardis: Thank you for comming down to lissen to us today
[13:31] Ranma Tardis: I think we all have the potential to be exceptional and the role of government is to bring people toughter. I
[13:32] Ranma Tardis: I thank the community for my 2 terms on the RA and the chance to work with some very talanted people. We need to think about the future while remembering the past but our decisions only affect today and tommorrow
[13:32] Ranma Tardis: again THANK YOU!
[13:32] Callipygian Christensen: thank you Ranma
[13:33] Ranma Tardis: and have a pleasant afternoon or evening
[13:33] Callipygian Christensen: thank you to all the candidates today..and to all of you for attending and listening. Delia will create a Forum category and place the additonal questions there: all candidates will have the ability to answer them if they choose to.
[13:33] Tor Karlsvalt: Thank you Callie
[13:33] Rosie Gray: ··•°•··..☺ Applauds! ☺ ..··•°•··..
[13:34] Ranma Tardis: Thank You Callie and Delia
[13:34] Rosie Gray: thank you Calli and Delia... and fellow candidates!
[13:34] Lilith Ivory applauds
[13:34] Callipygian Christensen: dont forget that tomorrow is the Chancello'rs Debate at 1 PM SLT!
[13:34] Shep (shep.titian): Thank you for your work Calli
[13:34] Delia Lake: :) Thank you candidates, and thank you citizens for participating today!
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Locked

Return to “Transcripts of the RA and Chancellor Debates”