Other actions of the 8th RA

Closed forum for all Representative Assembly members. Everybody is allowed to see government in action, but posting and replying is restricted to RA members only.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Other actions of the 8th RA

Post by Lyubov »

I have long been confused by an item in the Code of Laws listed under Active Code, "Other actions of the 8th RA", https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/other-act ... he-8th-ra/

This appears to be a summary of decisions made by the RA from March through July 2008. The first line states, "(ed. note: this is a work in progress; complete text of bills NL 8-3, 8-4, and 8-5 will be added soon)". NL 8-3 and NL 8-5 are currently part of the Active Code and NL 8-4 is classified as Repealed Code.

"Other actions of the 8th RA" does not appear to be an item that should be listed in the Code of Laws, certainly not under Active Code.

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Other actions of the 8th RA

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Since it has the character of summarized minutes, we could move it to the the archive section of the portal where the minutes are stored? I always hesitate to erase historical relevant texts... ;)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

This section is the result of the LRA of the 8th term (me) and the RA archivist (also me) having failed to post adopted laws at the portal :oops:
Some of those laws are important, not only for historic purposes but also if a future RA ever feels like amending them (the faction law for example). So I would move it to archaic or leave it where it is. Who knows, perhaps a kind sould (not me) might sometimes feel like bringing those laws in a normal shape ;-)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

Thank you Lilith, I am much less confused now! I think that reclassifying this as Archaic is appropriate.

I tried to find possible "missing laws" hidden within "Other actions of the 8th RA":

The RA Process Rules are written to the Portal under RA Rules of Procedure, https://cdsdemocracy.org/the-representative-assembly/

I don't know where the "faction elimination amendment (Amendment 23)" is. We no longer have factions, so this is indeed archaic.

NL 8-3 Celebrating our Volunteers Bill is part of active code.

NL 8-4 Private Development Act has been repealed.

NL 8-5 CDS Code Reorganization remains part of active code.

The "commission on corporate structure issues" resulted in NL 8-6 Commerce Act, which has been repealed.

"Election rules (Amendment 24)" is also unclear. There is active code including CDSL 13-09 Campaigning Act and CDSL 20-02 By-Election Procedures Act which have likely superseded Amendment 24.

Other actions include calling a by-election, approving webportal funding, approving non-hub status of Colonia Nova, approving "sim 4" plan for Locus Amoenus and covenant, and the removal of the chancellor.

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I don't know where the "faction elimination amendment (Amendment 23)" is. We no longer have factions, so this is indeed archaic.

This amendment only stated that membership in a faction is not obligatory to run for an office. We still have two or three sleeping faction which stoped beiig active after that amendment was made and citizens are free to form another faction any time they feel like it

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

Thank you again Lilith!

I think that the "faction elimination amendment" has been addressed in the Constitution, Article IV - Factions. Section 2 states, "No citizen is required to be part of a faction.". Furthermore, Article I - The Representative Branch, has a note in Section 2, "* The first RA elections where candidates were not required to be a member of any faction were for the term starting June 1, 2010.".

There is also a note by Gwyneth, "Note that Article IV, Section 4 was repealed by CDSL 13-08 Delete Article IV, section 4 of the Constitution and replaced with CDSL 13-09 Campaigning Act.". Article IV, Section 4 concerns Campaigning. I would suspect that "Election rules (Amendment 24)" as mentioned in "Other actions of the 8th RA" would have been about this now-repealed section.

https://cdsdemocracy.org/cds-constitution/

It appears to me that the actions of the 8th RA, including those of the LRA and Archivist, have been properly written to the Code of Laws and to the Constitution. I feel that it is safe to reclassify "Other actions of the 8th RA" as archaic.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Yes, this belongs in Archaic laws! :|

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

fine then, let‘s push it to archaic

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

This was reclassified as Archaic at today's RA meeting.

Return to “Representative Assembly Discussion”