Archaic and Irrelevant Laws to Review

Closed forum for all Representative Assembly members. Everybody is allowed to see government in action, but posting and replying is restricted to RA members only.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Archaic and Irrelevant Laws to Review

Post by Lyubov »

NL 4-26 Public Information Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/nl-4-26-p ... ation-act/

This Act contains multiple references to City, appointment by the Guildmaster, and a salary of 1000 L$ per month. Is this Act still relevant?

CDSL 13-01 Public Information Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/cdsl-13-0 ... ation-act/

This more recent Act appears to supersede NL 4-26 above. It does contain a section concerning Al Andalus Sims and more general Group Notice Guidelines. This could be updated to simply “CDS” and remove references to “Al Andalus”.

NL 5-4 Franchulate Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/nl-5-4-franchulate-act/

This Act concerns parcels of Mainland that may apply to become territories under CDS governance. Could this be repealed or moved to Archaic Code?

CDSL 21-02 NL 8-4 Ninety Day Moratorium Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/cdsl-21-0 ... orium-act/

This was a 90-day moratorium to allow the 22nd RA to establish a Commission to review NL 8-4 Private Development Act, since repealed and replaced by CDSL 22-01 Omnibus New Region Expansion Act. We may be able to repeal or move CDSL 21-02 to Archaic as well.

Tanoujin Milestone
          I need a hobby
          I need a hobby

Re: Archaic and Irrelevant Laws to Review

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

First of all thank you, Lyubov, for the constant attention and work you are investing into our little community.

I would like to keep the franchulate act, even if it was not very popular in the end. Sleazy Writer prepared some designated parcels once, but it was never finished. I have a certain feeling we could use this act one day.

I would be interested why Sleazy did not get done with his project, is there a downside in this act? Does anyone remember?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
          Ian Maclaren
          Rosie Gray
          Forum Wizard
          Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Lyubov wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm

NL 4-26 Public Information Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/nl-4-26-p ... ation-act/

This Act contains multiple references to City, appointment by the Guildmaster, and a salary of 1000 L$ per month. Is this Act still relevant?

CDSL 13-01 Public Information Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/cdsl-13-0 ... ation-act/

This more recent Act appears to supersede NL 4-26 above. It does contain a section concerning Al Andalus Sims and more general Group Notice Guidelines. This could be updated to simply “CDS” and remove references to “Al Andalus”.

Agreed!

NL 5-4 Franchulate Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/nl-5-4-franchulate-act/

This Act concerns parcels of Mainland that may apply to become territories under CDS governance. Could this be repealed or moved to Archaic Code?

I would like to hear Tanoujin's thoughts regarding this. Personally, I have no idea what the purpose of it could really be.

CDSL 21-02 NL 8-4 Ninety Day Moratorium Act, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/cdsl-21-0 ... orium-act/

This was a 90-day moratorium to allow the 22nd RA to establish a Commission to review NL 8-4 Private Development Act, since repealed and replaced by CDSL 22-01 Omnibus New Region Expansion Act. We may be able to repeal or move CDSL 21-02 to Archaic as well.

Also agreed :)

Lyubov
                  Veteran debater
                  Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

Thank you Tan and Rosie.

I don't know any of the history behind NL 5-4 Franchulate Act, but as I read it, it is no longer relevant or desirable for CDS. The Preamble refers to Bill 5-3 which I do not see in the Code of Laws, but appears to be about Franchulates. It also contemplates joining Franchulates per the Group Ownership Act. Under Archaic Code, there is both a NL 5-9 Group Land Ownership Act and a superseding NL 7-7, neither of which I would wish to revive.

Reading through the Franchulate Act, this appears to be a complex process to bring Mainland parcels under the ownership and management of CDS. I don't understand why anyone would want to do this. This may have been interesting in a time when CDS did not hold it's own regions and Mainland parcel owners wished to form a sense of community. Today, our community exists within the six regions of the estate. I would not want my Mainland parcel to come under the ownership and governance of CDS, and from a CDS perspective, I would not want to manage disparate Mainland parcels.

CDSL 21-02 NL 8-4 Ninety Day Moratorium Act -- no longer relevant, move to Archaic.

NL 4-26 Public Information Act -- repeal, has long been replaced by CDSL 13-01 Public Information Act.

CDSL 13-01 Public Information Act -- update to “CDS” and remove references to “Al Andalus”. Only the Group Notice Guidelines section at the end appears to require an update. Draft language below:

The Chancellor shall ensure that group subscribers for the CDS inworld group are available at a broad range of public sites within the CDS, and at all official events. Posting access to this group shall be open to all citizens. [CUT NEXT SENTANCE] Guidelines for use of the group should follow those for the current Al Andalus group, included below. [END CUT SENTENCE] The Chancellor shall designate a member of the Public Information Team to be responsible for oversight of notice policy, and for assisting any citizen who may have content concerns or language difficulties, to post notices in conformity with the guidelines. Use of the group by citizens, within the guidelines, for any event which might be of general interest, shall be strongly encouraged.

[...]

Group Notice Guidelines

All land owning citizens shall have the right, but not the obligation, to have group notice access.

The CDS group is made up of persons interested in the project of CDS, so notices should focus on events within the sims. No spam please. No event occurring within CDS should be announced on group notices more than three times, including one announcement in advance , one announcement the day of the event, and a final announcement when the event is beginning.

The CDS community is made up of diverse and interesting individuals with activities throughout the SL grid, which also may be of interest to our members. Therefore any citizen who wishes to announce events occurring OUTSIDE of CDS is encouraged to submit their events to the Chancellor or appropriate member of the Public Information Team to include in a weekly announcements or otherwise approved for distribution and placement on the CDS Calendar. Events outside the CDS sims may also be announced by way of Group Notice on the day of the event. (one notice per off sim event please.)

All events should actually BE events, not merely commercial announcements. For example, a grand opening is an event, a weekend sale is not.

Events must be open to all (no discrimination) (except griefers), and groups are encouraged to open their membership to attendees.

There shall be no charge for admission to any events announced on the CDS group channel.

No solicitation of funds shall be made on Group Notices or on the CDS Chat channel.

Rosie Gray
                  Forum Wizard
                  Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Lyubov wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 am

CDSL 13-01 Public Information Act -- update to “CDS” and remove references to “Al Andalus”. Only the Group Notice Guidelines section at the end appears to require an update. Draft language below:

The Chancellor shall ensure that group subscribers for the CDS inworld group are available at a broad range of public sites within the CDS, and at all official events. Posting access to this group shall be open to all citizens. [CUT NEXT SENTANCE] Guidelines for use of the group should follow those for the current Al Andalus group, included below. [END CUT SENTENCE] The Chancellor shall designate a member of the Public Information Team to be responsible for oversight of notice policy, and for assisting any citizen who may have content concerns or language difficulties, to post notices in conformity with the guidelines. Use of the group by citizens, within the guidelines, for any event which might be of general interest, shall be strongly encouraged.

[...]

Group Notice Guidelines

All land owning citizens shall have the right, but not the obligation, to have group notice access.

The CDS group is made up of persons interested in the project of CDS, so notices should focus on events within the sims. No spam please. No event occurring within CDS should be announced on group notices more than three times, including one announcement in advance , one announcement the day of the event, and a final announcement when the event is beginning.

The CDS community is made up of diverse and interesting individuals with activities throughout the SL grid, which also may be of interest to our members. Therefore any citizen who wishes to announce events occurring OUTSIDE of CDS is encouraged to submit their events to the Chancellor or appropriate member of the Public Information Team to include in a weekly announcements or otherwise approved for distribution and placement on the CDS Calendar. Events outside the CDS sims may also be announced by way of Group Notice on the day of the event. (one notice per off sim event please.)

All events should actually BE events, not merely commercial announcements. For example, a grand opening is an event, a weekend sale is not.

Events must be open to all (no discrimination) (except griefers), and groups are encouraged to open their membership to attendees.

There shall be no charge for admission to any events announced on the CDS group channel.

No solicitation of funds shall be made on Group Notices or on the CDS Chat channel.

I recognize that the existing wording for announcements has been in place for some time, and that we do need some guidelines. However, I think we need to take a closer look at what is acceptable here. For instance, we don't have very many merchants in the CDS group (merchants who have shops within CDS), so I'm not sure that a restriction on commercial announcements needs to be so strict. Also I would like to see guidelines to announcements about events not being held within the CDS borders. Here's my amendment proposal for this section:
                  ____________________________________________________________________________
                  Group Notice Guidelines

All land-owning citizens shall have the right, but not the obligation, to have group notice access.

The CDS group is made up of persons interested in the project of CDS, so notices should focus on events within the sims. No spam please. No event occurring within CDS should be announced on group notices more than three times within 7 days., including one announcement in advance, one announcement the day of the event, and a final announcement when the event is beginning.

The CDS community is made up of diverse and interesting individuals with activities throughout the SL grid, which also may be of interest to our members. Therefore any citizen who wishes to announce events occurring OUTSIDE of CDS is encouraged to submit their events to the Chancellor to include in weekly announcements or otherwise approved for distribution and placement on the CDS Calendar. Events outside the A A sims may also be announced by way of Group Notice on the day of the event. (one notice per off sim event please.)

There shall be no charge for admission to any events announced on the AA group channel.

No solicitation of funds shall be made on Group Notices or on the Al Andalus Chat channel.

Tanoujin Milestone
                  I need a hobby
                  I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Thanks for reminding me what the problem was :) Yes, it is to take over the mainland, lol, kind of imperialistic. And no one wanted to put their mainland parcel under CDS law and lose all the privileges :D

No, I have no interest to open this discussion again. Ambitions were high at some times, today the pragmatists rule. Let’s move it to archaic then :D

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
                  Ian Maclaren
                  Rosie Gray
                  Forum Wizard
                  Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I missed removing a couple of AA references, at th end. Amended here.

Rosie Gray wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:42 am

Group Notice Guidelines

All land-owning citizens shall have the right, but not the obligation, to have group notice access.

The CDS group is made up of persons interested in the project of CDS, so notices should focus on events within the sims. No spam please. No event occurring within CDS should be announced on group notices more than three times within 7 days., including one announcement in advance, one announcement the day of the event, and a final announcement when the event is beginning.

The CDS community is made up of diverse and interesting individuals with activities throughout the SL grid, which also may be of interest to our members. Therefore any citizen who wishes to announce events occurring OUTSIDE of CDS is encouraged to submit their events to the Chancellor to include in weekly announcements or otherwise approved for distribution and placement on the CDS Calendar. Events outside the A A sims may also be announced by way of Group Notice on the day of the event. (one notice per off sim event please.)

No solicitation of funds shall be made on Group Notices or on the CDS channel.

Em Warden
                  Passionate Protagonist
                  Passionate Protagonist

Post by Em Warden »

In connection with the Franchulate Act, I seem to remember that we had a discussion in the RA a couple of years ago, about establishing CDS Embassies or Consulates in strategic places on the Mainland. So we hadn't given up the thought altogether...

Thanks to Sudane, we have at least a CDS information office in New England, on Sudane's expense even, but that is as far as we got along that road (if I am not mistaken). I agree with the three of you here: I don't think the time is right to "invade" the mainland neither under a Franchulate Act or via an Embassy. It takes too much effort and money to keep it going.

A warm "thank you" to Ljubov and Rosie for your analytic law reviews.

When you go through hell- keep walking!

Winston Churchill

Return to “Representative Assembly Discussion”