Petition from Ceasar Xigalia

This forum is used for discussion by members of the SC
Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Re: Petition received from Ceasar Xigalia

Post by Soro Dagostino »

Why isn't the petition by the injured party?

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Petition from Ceasar Xigalia

Post by Callipygian »

The following petition was received this evening from Ceasar Xigalia

I would like the SC to review the assault made by Guillaume Mistwalker today in the RA meeting when he stated he threw a rock at Cleopatra Xigalia.

I would like the SC to ban Guillaume for this act of physical violence (in sl terms). I believe it breaks TOS and I have also reported this to Linden Labs.

Ceasar Xigalia

I invite the members of the SC to comment here, and give their opinion on whether or not the SC should hear this petition along with the rationale for their opinion.
I ask that SC members do so within 48 hours, so that the petitioner receives our response in a timely fashion.

Callipygian

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Petition from Ceasar Xigalia

Post by Lilith Ivory »

After reading the TOS once again I have to admit that what Gaius said was indeed harassment (as silly as it sounds in my ears).

Still I would like to have the affected person to file the petition her-/himself (as long as her/his knowledge of english allows it).
For me this seems to be the only way to make sure a person got really harmed and we don´t have to waste our time by listening to hear say (see the case of Tyrant Laffer and jia53)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Petition received from Ceasar Xigalia

Post by Arria Perreault »

I consider that a petition cannot come from a third party. The injured party has to confirm his will to make a petition.
I also think that the SC should add a clear process for petitions in its rules of procedures.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Concur. Even in meatspace, with the exception of truly serious crimes like murder the victim generally has to press charges for the police to take it seriously. In SL, this isn't even worth considering. Was this rock scripted to cage the user? Did it make a flashing noise? Was it just a silly physical object?

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

In 2011 the SC spent many hours on two third-party petitions. One case required information from an avatar's transaction history for any resolution to be reached. Since the petitioner did not have access to that information, and the avatar in question had no desire to participate in the petition or any hearing, the hours spent on research and meeting with multiple parties involved was wasted and totally unproductive. The other case involved a ban, with a third-party petitioner requesting it be lifted so that the banned avatar could attend a hearing and then lifted permanently. Again after hours invested in research and discussions the banned individual indicated that he had no desire for the ban to be lifted, no interest in attending or participating in a hearing, in fact had no interest in CDS activity at all.

It became clear from these two petitions that the only way to ensure that participation is desired by an avatar, and that all information needed will be available, is to have that avatar file the petition him- or herself.

In rare occasions where an avatar faces language barriers, an avatar can certainly designate someone to act as their representative; in such cases the avatar should file a petition and indicate the need for, and name of, a representative.

As Ceasar indicates in the petition itself, he is not the injured party; therefore I believe this is a third-party petition and should not be heard.

Callipygian

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “SC Discussion”