What to do to stop having to Qualify?

This forum is used for discussion by members of the SC
Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

What to do to stop having to Qualify?

Post by Soro Dagostino »

I have been diligent to review each of the "new registrants" seeking all those who are "real." And, since I can find no instructions, deleting the messages from those who "don't exist" in the program. Is that what we are supposed to do? I do not know how else to qualify an applicant short of engaging the spammers in a conversation.

Frankly, I don't wish to be so involved as that. I fear my own computer would be inundated with spam. So, unless I get instructions soon, no one will be left to do the work.

Soro

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Re: What to do to stop having to Qualify?

Post by Soro Dagostino »

Can anyone tell me how to validate this submission? "piesEnedods" It/s/he shows as registered -- but nothing else. I don't know whether to allow to stay or toss the registrant. Your feedback is requested.

Soro.

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Soro Dagostino wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to validate this submission? "piesEnedods" It/s/he shows as registered -- but nothing else. I don't know whether to allow to stay or toss the registrant. Your feedback is requested.

Soro.

Hi Soro - I am not sure what the admin permissions allow you to do. If there is an option to set the registrant's posts for review before posting, I'd set it to that on any questionable ones. If that option doesn't exist, perhaps set them to 'read only' - it's likely that a valid account that really wants to post to the forum will contact someone to find out why they can read and not post. As far as I know there are no formal guidelines on how to moderate here, so this is just my personal thought on what to do.

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Soro Dagostino »

I am finding 20 false readings a day -- sometimes more. The worst offender is: [email protected] -- this e-addy is used for a multitude of the names we find in the false registrations. As of today, after 5 days of working the list I have found no, none, nada, no one who is a "real registrant" for the CDS Forum.

The Forum Board needs to be fixed. Who has authority to make that happen?

My feeling is that we should bar registrations until the problem is repaired. Only open them for the fleeting time we really do have a new citizen or registrant who wants to be on the Forum and has so advised the Chancellor. As the interim measure, unless someone wants to take the job, I plan to burn, deep-six, toss, whatever word makes getting rid of the registrants who are unknown, as easy as it can be.

If upon a request to the Chancellor, by the interested party, for registration, the Moderators should be advised of the registrant's request and real time connections should be verified atm. All the rest should be tossed.

Soro.

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Soro Dagostino »

Today I found a way to delete all of the inactive users who registered since January 16th. But while I did so, they still remain on the members list. I don't know what to do now in order to remove all traces of these spammers. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Bottle Washer
CDS SC
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Soro Dagostino wrote:

Today I found a way to delete all of the inactive users who registered since January 16th. But while I did so, they still remain on the members list. I don't know what to do now in order to remove all traces of these spammers. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

They are gone Soro - it probably just needed you to end that session so that you weren't seeing 'old' screens. Thanks for getting this done finally :)

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Soro Dagostino
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Soro Dagostino »

I did find that to be true. So, as it stands, all e-mails about registrants will be about peeps [spammers] who are not registered. So the spam should go away. Now, the Chancellor and his staff, Anna and Guilli, should let us know who wants to subscribe to the forum, and then they can be invited to join.

Calli, with the powers that I stumbled upon, [and still don't understand] I tried to upgrade your status to the highest administrative level -- but the *.*.* [Ahem] F****** system says you don't exist!

Bummer.

Bottle Washer
CDS SC

Return to “SC Discussion”