Bill about Campaigning

This forum is used for discussion by members of the SC
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Bill about Campaigning

Post by Delia Lake »

To the Dean of the Scientific Council,

I ask the Scientific Council to clarify the validity of the Bill about Campaigning, as the Constitutionnal Amendment did not pass. I suggest that this clarification should be done before the next election. As one of the RA member is also running for the position of Chancellor, a new election can happen soon.

Best regards

Arria Perreault

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Re: Bill about Campaigning

Post by Delia Lake »

Question for the SC ruling in this case: Is the Campaigning Bill valid? YES or NO

The format for determining this ruling will be Structured Discussion (SD)but without any preset order of response by SC members. http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=832&p=5176

The Constitutional Amendment and Election Campaign Bill can be found at: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2812
The RA transcript of the 9 May meeting Part 2 where the amendment and the bill were proposed, discussed and voted on can be found at: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2858 starting with

[11:19] Arria Perreault: Proposed Constitutional Amendment - Campaigning

, and continued into Part 3 at http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2858

See also the transcript from the 10 May SC meeting: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2866
starting with,

Patroklus Murakami: the constitutional amendment has not passed yet :)
Delia Lake: ty Pat
Claude Desmoulins: Ah.
Arria Perreault: 7 day-vote is pending
Delia Lake: yes
Patroklus Murakami: the bill was passed though
Claude Desmoulins: oops. Well it's possible that voting will be underway before the amendment passes.
Delia Lake: at the same time the SC cannot wait for the 7 day to act as the polls open in 5 days
Rose Springvale: who's vote is outstanding?
Delia Lake: so i recommend that we act on the bill at this time
Claude Desmoulins: Yet another side effect of the RA passing several election related acts six days before the polls open :)
Gwyneth Llewelyn smiles
Danton Sideways: SC can always give its opinion
Claude Desmoulins: Move to shifr implementation discussion to the SC discussion forum.
Soro Dagostino: Raises hand
Claude Desmoulins: *shift
Delia Lake: since the bill form did pass, and the implementation for this current election is at the SC's discression, i was going to say what Claude said. and that we come to agreement asap so that candidates can reach the voters with their positions
Delia Lake: yes. Soro?
Soro Dagostino: Would it be approprate to table the matter and leave the status quo for this electio?
Soro Dagostino: Discussing in the forums.
Soro Dagostino: done
Delia Lake: the bill was passed
Soro Dagostino: So?
Claude Desmoulins: Any objection to moving this to forums?
Danton Sideways: what do you mean by "bill form" Delia, that is not the Const amendment?
Delia Lake: so since the former campaigning rules had really no campaigning......
Gwyneth Llewelyn: Not discussing it in 7 days means it enters effectively in use ;)
Delia Lake: yes. i agree Claude. i will post to the forum the relevant links
Danton Sideways: Pat says it wasn't voted, I'm confused
Claude Desmoulins: Arria what's the current vote status on the amendment.
Gwyneth Llewelyn: The bill yes; the const. amendment no

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Re: Bill about Campaigning

Post by Delia Lake »

This request for ruling was addressed at the SC Meeting, 26 July 2010 as follows:
Delia Lake: so I move that the Campaign Election Rules stands as law minus the section

The SC will, at minimum, organise the following election campaign activities on a non-discriminatory basis:
Advertising on publicly owned land (with equivalent space given to all candidates)
The SC will solicit two notecards from each candidate and circulate these, in batches, before the polls open. The deadline for receipt of the first will be the deadline for declaring candidacy, the deadline for receipt of the second is 7 days before the polls open. One circulation is to take place shortly after the deadline for declaring candidacy and the second is to take place just before the polls open. The SC also has discretion to handle the May 2010 election differently as candidates are already declared for this election.
An event to 'Meet the Candidates' informally and/or an election debate

Soro Dagostino: Second.
Delia Lake: all in favor?
Claude Desmoulins: aye
Soro Dagostino: Aye . . . and goodbye -- RL calls.
Delia Lake: aye
Delia Lake: ty Soro
Delia Lake: Calli?
Callipygian Christensen: clarification please: is it permitted to choose aprt of a bill and act on it as law and decline the second part - isnt the bill a whole and if one part is sent back, in effect it all is?
Delia Lake: we are declaring tht the law is in effect
Delia Lake: and that the demand to the SC portion is unconstitutional and therefore struck from the law
Callipygian Christensen: IF that id permissable then aye
Delia Lake: 4 aye, no opposed

This law stands as passed by the 12th RA, minus the SC implementation, and as it states, modifies Article IV, Section 4 of the CDS Constitution.

Return to “SC Discussion”