Re-invigorating the MoCA

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re-invigorating the MoCA

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[i:26xrezl6]Hello CARE members,[/i:26xrezl6]

In this post about the Neufreistadt museum, I'd like to ask for opinions, ideas and involvement not only from
- CARE (such as Delia and Bruno) but also from the
- MoCA people (such as Rubaiyat, Chicago? and Beathan), and ofcourse also from the
- Other factions (FlyingRoc)

I haven't read documents from the MoCA or Ars Virtua people themselves yet, so please excuse me if I'm wrong about things or draw conclusions too fast.

- - - - - - -

[b:26xrezl6]The empty Museum of Contemporary Art (the 'MoCA')[/b:26xrezl6]

Okay, so I'm not a conaisseur, but an art fan, like probably many of you appreciate a good piece of art.
I've been a CDS citizen since early December, the MoCA in Neufreistadt has been empty ever since.
The MoCA probably has been empty for many months now.
From conversations it showed that some things with the MoCA haven't been running well for over a year!
I don't want to blame anybody, we all know how 1stLife and SL obligations suck up our time.

[b:26xrezl6]But what does an empty CDS museum mean?[/b:26xrezl6]

- No artworks for us to admire and a museum that we can be proud of!
- Road signs direct NFS visitors to an empty museum!
- A waste of land and some money. [color=red:26xrezl6][i:26xrezl6]<-- I take that back, Rubaiyat has generously been paying the costs out of his own pocket, because he believes in the MoCA's potential.[/i:26xrezl6][/color:26xrezl6]
- That it's rediculous since putting a picture on a wall takes about 2 minutes.

I've spoken with Rubaiyat Shatner only briefly, but it led me to these conclusions:
- priorities are: preserving and showing SL-specific art, excluding other digital art
IMO this policy, while noble, is BAD for our empty MoCA.
Without wanting to criticize the current MoCA guys too much, I ..

[b:26xrezl6]Propopose the following 3 measures[/b:26xrezl6]

[b:26xrezl6](1)[/b:26xrezl6] Citizens can donate (or long time lease) the art they own or their own art to the CDS, it will be shown in the MoCA.
[b:26xrezl6](2)[/b:26xrezl6] The CDS will build it's own collection (donations and possibly purchases), it will be shown in the MoCA.
[b:26xrezl6](3)[/b:26xrezl6] Temporarily lower the quality requirement from "highly exceptional"* to "simply interesting (and above that)" * = I've taken the liberty of inferring this from my conversation with Rubaiyat.

[i:26xrezl6]This will fill our MoCA with art![/i:26xrezl6]
As for (1) I'll contribute at least one or two works myself, I also have an SL-friend who's an artist.
Rubaiyat expressed he wanted to 'continue discussing this', with all respect, I believe we should simply do it ;-)
As for (2), it was already in the existing plans I believe. (1) will help us accomplish (2).
Personal donations will give the MoCA a wonderful personal touch. CDS citizens who have a L$ to spare could bring
their fellow citizens in touch with the art they love. (1) and (2) also offer plenty of opportunity for
the many admirers of the Roman antiquity.

Current MoCA administrators should oversee (1), (2) and (3) but not change (3).
Should current MoCA administrators spend too little time on the grid, I'd like to propose ...

[b:26xrezl6](4)[/b:26xrezl6] The enthusiasts of (1), (2) and (3) to join the MoCA team.

[b:26xrezl6]What action should be taken?[/b:26xrezl6]

[b:26xrezl6](A 1)[/b:26xrezl6] Art fans & people who want to donate please get in touch with me. If it goes well I'll start a group to keep eachother informed.
[b:26xrezl6](A 2)[/b:26xrezl6] If you agree but don't have much time, please reply to this post with "I support it!", this will give me some leverage.
[b:26xrezl6](B)[/b:26xrezl6] (1), (2) and (3) should be finalized by involvement of: You-the-Reader ;-) , and the current MoCA people. There's plenty of room to fit in your Faction-specific ideas and preferences.
[b:26xrezl6](C)[/b:26xrezl6] Factions, can you take a look if this needs legislation or should we/I simply work with the MoCA?
Ofcours we can stay nice and friendly but I am of the not so humble opinion that we need A_C_T_I_O_N.
<-- Concerning (C) I'd like to ask Rubaiyat/Chicago/Beathan:
Is the MoCA Society still there or is the museum leased to Rubaiyat in his Ars Virtua-role?

About (C): If I read the existing MoCA documents (MoCA Charter, legislation NL 4-12, 4-13) I would think that realizing (1), (2) and (3) would need:
[b:26xrezl6](I)[/b:26xrezl6] Some art fans who support (1), (2) and (3) to join the MoCA Society
[b:26xrezl6](II)[/b:26xrezl6] Executive Curator (Rubaiyat??) give his okay for (1), (2) and (3) =OR= the MoCA Board (Chicago and Beathan?)
[b:26xrezl6](III)[/b:26xrezl6] Then we can put the donated artworks (etc) in the museum or possibly let Rubaiyat do it if he wants to.
Can someone confirm this please?

[b:26xrezl6]Other than that:[/b:26xrezl6]

Question: When should the donated & collected artworks be exhibited?
Answer: Now, to fill the MoCA, and between 'regular' exhibitions.

- Your own photographs may have artistic value.
- Who would like to explore SL's art with me? (personally) It's kind of boring to do on your own.
- The MoCA needs an elevator. Stairways are possible but inconvenient.
- Should Rubaiyat and his guys open an exhibition in the short term: Wonderful! But that doesn't mean that (1) and (2) (and 3) shouldnt be persued.
- In case you're wondering: I'm a CARE Observer and currently not affiliated with any party.

[b:26xrezl6][i:26xrezl6]Let's not only make this a Grassroots thing but also a CDS-roots thing![/i:26xrezl6][/b:26xrezl6]
Or shall we just give up on the MoCA and rename it eMoCA? (empty MoCA)

Last edited by Sleazy_Writer on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubaiyat
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

not to be defensive

Post by Rubaiyat »

Okay, my time commitment is extremely limited. I can not lead this charge.

Yes we can throw anything we want to in the MoCA, but will it really draw people to it?

What we need is a leader who will organize shows (whatever they are). This takes time, energy and creativity.

It has been empty for a while, so I do not see a rush to fill it with any old thing that will have users going ho-hum.

If you are volunteering to curate a show, I am certain that that will be met with positively by the MoCA Trustees. If however you just want to throw some stuff into the building, I am not sure that is a good course.

Rubaiyat

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: not to be defensive

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[quote="Rubaiyat":1yqjt8cq]Yes we can throw anything we want to in the MoCA, but will it really draw people to it?[/quote:1yqjt8cq]
'Anything we want' --> Doesn't sound very respectful towards contributions from CDS citizens. Does that mean you don't trust the citizens to contribute things of a high enough quality? I think you don't.
'will it draw people' --> Are you drawing people now? I don't think so. My ideas (1) & (2) are mainly to fill the MoCA *right now* and *between* regular events by the curator (you for example).

[quote:1yqjt8cq]What we need is a leader who will organize shows (whatever they are). This takes time, energy and creativity.[/quote:1yqjt8cq]
You're right. I trust you have the creativity and energy (and knowledge) but time mayy be a problem ... I'm not volunteering myself, I probably don't have the skills. But as a spectator an empty MoCA gets me frustrated so I draw conclusions: The things I proposed in my 1st post offer an opportunity fill the MoCA.

[quote:1yqjt8cq]I do not see a rush to fill it with any old thing that will have users going ho-hum[/quote:1yqjt8cq]
Many old works of art are highly regarded and certainly don't make people go 'ho-hum'.
Who says the MoCA/CDS has to be at the frontline/cutting edge of the artscene? Putting 'pretty good' or 'interesting' stuff there will be a change for the better with it's current embarassing emptyness.

[quote:1yqjt8cq]If you are volunteering to curate a show[/quote:1yqjt8cq]
I don't want the curator job, but I'd like to see all CDS-ers participate! This, ofcourse, coincides wonderfully with both CARE's and CSDF's slogans!

[quote:1yqjt8cq]If you just want to throw some stuff into the building[/quote:1yqjt8cq]
Which shows you have no confidence in the taste of CDS citizens and their contributions. Why not? Ideally the whole museum would be filled with contributions, less than that would still make me very happy and the emptyness less embarassing. When the collection grows and art shows become more regular, we can show lesser quality works less, and higher quality works more.

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Flyingroc Chung »

This probably belongs to the General forum, but I think that the MoCA should probably set up a system of acquiring some sort of permanent collection that we could display (on a rotating basis if we have a large enough collection).

One fairly low-cost way to make such acquisitions is through a competition. One thought I had was some sort of low-prim sculpture competition.

I agree that we should not throw just any old thing in there; but one or two interesting pieces is better than an empty museum.

(BTW, I've recently been to the MOMA in NYC, and you wont believe some of the crap they have in there) :wink:

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

What is junk and what is not.

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

FR >
One of the things I'd like to donate to the MoCA for example (once I am less broke)
Is one of the digital paintings by Sophie K from your gallery (the right one, which I really like)

If Rub however thinks it's junk, Rub is saying that FR's gallery is junk.

FR > Competition = good idea!

- - - - - -
[b:2gk4z6s3]Rubaiyat >[/b:2gk4z6s3]: Before I talk to you about 'a compromise' or you talk about resigning: Why don't you withhold your judgement whether contributions are junk, and wait till something is contributed and judge that. With 'lowering qual. requirements' I didn't mean lower it to a plywood square level.

Rubaiyat
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

please note

Post by Rubaiyat »

I did not use the word junk. Nor did I state any lack of confidence in CDS citizens.

If you want it to look like a museum then it needs to be curated.

If it is a random collection then that is what it is, but perhaps a name change is in order then.

The issue as far as I am concerned is leadership.

rs

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Re: What is junk and what is not.

[quote="TOPGenosse":1jiqt4bh]FR >
One of the things I'd like to donate to the MoCA for example (once I am less broke)
Is one of the digital paintings by Sophie K from your gallery (the right one, which I really like)
[/quote:1jiqt4bh]

Um, I have a gallery?

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Rub. > OK, I take that back, about 'junk'. What I mean is the way you talk about 'throw some stuff / old thing'. *that* sounds like you don't have much confidence in contributors. If that's indeed the case (and it may not), I think it's premature.

Last edited by Sleazy_Writer on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubaiyat
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Rubaiyat »

[quote="Flyingroc Chung":gaynce0b][quote="TOPGenosse":gaynce0b]FR >
[/quote:gaynce0b]

Um, I have a gallery?[/quote:gaynce0b]

Yes, you are now in charge of the MoCA

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[quote="Flyingroc Chung":qrrjyzgq][quote="TOPGenosse":qrrjyzgq]FR >
[/quote:qrrjyzgq]

Um, I have a gallery?[/quote:qrrjyzgq]

Man ... That's amazing:
I am talking about a gallery in the SIM that's called "Flyingroc Chung". That's why I mixed it up. Sounds familiar?

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Ah yes, the sim Flyingroc Chung, my attempt at immortality, lol. I am not the owner of that sim, nor afiliated with anything built on it. I *did* pay anshe $10,000 lindens to name the sim after me. :P

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Rub.> Do you have a big objection to a random collection?

Do you FR?
Does anyone?
I don't.

- - -
FR > It worked !!

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

Rubaiyat made a to this thread at the same time that I moved it to the general forum (original post deleted at the request of Rubaiyat):
[quote="Rubaiyat":2xw4grmr]I have an objection to an uncurated collection being put into a public institution.

for example who decides that the giant penis may not be appropriate? and who takes responsibility for that decision?

a leader can solve this, and a curator has the authority to exclude and seek out additional works

rs[/quote:2xw4grmr]
Please reply to Rubaiyat in this thread.

Last edited by Diderot Mirabeau on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Does Rubaiyat accept a random but curated collection?

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Rub. > I'm not saying uncurated. I want/propose for you (the Exec. Curator, right??) to oversee it and exclude unwanted works for whatever reason. Some feelings will be hurt but that's unavoidable perhaps. Random but not uncurated. Seek out additional works? Possible, not necessarily.

I didn't start these posts because I want a new leader ..
I just like to see the people involved because I believe a random collection can be (very) interesting! (and have a nice personal touch)

Rubaiyat
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

leader

Post by Rubaiyat »

Top,

My big issue is time, it generally takes time to curate this sort of thing, and whereas I may be an ad hoc leader it is with total reluctance.

I want a leader for this, I think I have a lot to add in a support role, but cannot take on the mantle of leadersip.

I appreciate your confidence in my abilities though.

rs

Return to “New United Citizens' Alliance for Rights and Equality (CARE)”