December report and some notes

Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

December report and some notes

Post by Sudane Erato »

I mustered myself amazingly quickly this month and have assembled ALREADY the December financial report. Find it on this page (as usual) https://cdsdemocracy.org/cds-treasurer/reports/

A couple of things bear noting. First, for those who head immediately to the Income/Expense report, because in some ways it is easiest to understand, this month it really isn't.

It looks like we made a HUGE amount of money. Note the bottom line (profit) of L$68,505, even though there is an odd and mysterious "Miscellaneous" expense of L$28,375. Without that odd expense, we would have made almost L$100,000! In one month!

So two things about that. Going to the page which documents the various expenses other than tier, you'll see that that L$28,375 is a reimbursement to our old Chancellor Jamie Palisades for literally YEARS of parcel directory fees which were building up on his avatar account... which he had never previously reported to us, but which he was incurring because he, along with Rudeen, were the "Owners" of the Land Verwaltung (LV) group, and many of the parcels owned by the LV group were set to incur L$30/week fees to cause those parcels to appear in SL searches. He should have, of course, let us know about this years ago, and we would have looked at the matter and seen that the issue needed attention and adjustment. But we didn't, and he didn't. So as part of the agreement for him to step aside as the "Owner" of the LV group (which only the person herself can do... an Owner can't be booted), we reimbursed him those fees. And Rosie and I have greatly reduced the number of parcels which are set to appear in SL searches.

Second, as everyone knows, the Casper tier system is set now to allow people to pay ANY amount they wish, including for future periods (the tier box accepts your money and, based on the monthly rate, calculates how much time you get for the amount you've paid). Well, lots of people are paying more than one month. That's great!, of course, we love to get the money. And it all shows up here as tier income. But actually, much of it is for tier payments for future periods, so a better system would figure out which number of L$s applies to just this month, and only call THAT much income. But I don't have a way right now to figure that out.

So that means that, possibly, some months in the future we may receive a lot less than normal, because those months have already been paid for. So, for now, take the monthly tier income with a grain of salt. The dollars are real... but the monthly income may not be.

BUT... hold on now. Let's look at something that IS VERY real, but does not immediately translate into L$s income. Have a look at the CDS Land Information Summary page (thank you again Gaius for kicking my butt to include this in the monthly report!). Look at the column that says "Excess/Deficit for each sim". There is not a single deficit! Even Colonia Nova is paying for itself! And the excess for all 6 sims is over L$50,000.

This is great news! While this does not directly translate into actual revenue (this shows the monthly amount generated by all occupied tier boxes), it shows a solid healthiness that even our financially weaker sims are holding their own and growing. We should really find this a cause to celebrate.

As usual, do not hesitate to send questions my way. And a sincere thank you to all the community members who really deserve the credit for the state of the CDS today!

Sudane...............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: December report and some notes

Post by Rosie Gray »

Thanks for all of this important information, Sudane!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

It looks like we made some good decisions, thanks to your expertise regarding tier adjustment, Sudane! Nice to see we are still able to manage our little project in a proper way.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

Thanks, Sudane, for this great news and the explanation that comes with it! I am glad that my off-the-cuff suggestion has had such ramifications!

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Cheers Sudane, this is cause for celebration!

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400

Return to “Business, Commerce and the Economy”