RA election

Moderator: SC Moderators

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

RA election

Post by Beathan »

There is an election coming up soon. We should meet to discuss who we should choose to be our representatives. Further, as the faction devoted to openness, I think we should be clear who our representatives would be.

I think that either Aliasi or Diderot would make fine representatives. I think that I would alienate too many people at the moment, so I should not be considered.

However, the person I think we should approach and try to actively recruit is Rudy. Rudy is not associated with any faction. In fact, I think that Rudy, in his wisdom, does not wish to be associated with any faction. However, I gather from his posts that Rudy's instincts are solidly in line with the goals of the Simplicity Party and the RA and the Party would both benefit from his wisdom, realism, character, and inner calmness and strength. If we can persuade him to make his talents more generally available to the CDS as a Simplicity Party representative, we should.

Beathan

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

I had no intention to run for RA, and still don't. I've BEEN on that trip.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":2o83z8lj]I had no intention to run for RA, and still don't. I've BEEN on that trip.[/quote:2o83z8lj]

I am not opposed to running but if we can get some other qualified candidates to run that support the platform I'm happy to step aside to let them have their go.

Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Publius Crabgrass »

I'm not interested in running but only if we need candidates I would do so and resign as Judiciary Commission Chair if elected. Though if I am reading public sentiment correctly, my JC Chair job may be disappearing soon.

Recruiting Rudy is an excellent idea - Rudy, are you listening?

Rudy Ruml
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

A simple response to Beathan

Post by Rudy Ruml »

Thank you Beathan for your strong advocacy of my nomination to represent the Simplicity Party, and to Publius for supporting it. Unlike the famous withdrawal from nomination to a second presidential term by President Johnson in 1968 (yes, you youngsters, I do remember it), I will run if nominated by the Simplicity Faction, and I will serve if elected. As now a candidate for nomination, here follows my simple speech in a few simple words: "Let Ruml's simple razor rule over all policies: In light of all policy alternatives and realizing that judging and comparing the conditions, causes, and consequences of each invariably involves a fog of knowledge and values, then the simplest policy is the best.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Excellent news.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

I think Rudy should be at the top of our ticket. His background is superb and his insight into our issues is exceptional. He also cannot be accused of being a hothead and will restore decorum to the RA. I understand that Patroklus is, ironically, going to be using the issue of the lack of decorum in RA procedure, a problem for which he is singularly responsible, as an election point against us. Rudy is the perfect candidate to counter this.

Diderot and Publius would both make excellent candidates, too. Given the current climate of debate, I think we have excellent prospects of picking up 2 seats in a 5 seat RA; 3 in a 7 seat RA.

Dianne's recent posts also accord perfectly with our concerns. We should approach her as well.

I know that these kind of considerations are usually done in in-world meetings, but I raise them here both for expedience and openness.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Let's meet on Saturday

Beathan it is my understanding that faction ranking is carried out as a result of an additional vote cast by people who are members of our faction at election time.

There is thus nothing we can do with regard to putting people at the top of the ticket.

As regards the other issues you bring up I have no opinon about them. My concern is predominantly to further specific issues in our community and I do not mind much whether our cause is promoted by us or by other factions as so excellently done by Moon in her latest proposal.

Having said that we really need to meet in-world soon. How does Saturday sound to you?

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Diderot writes [quote:33fwimqi]Beathan it is my understanding that faction ranking is carried out as a result of an additional vote cast by people who are members of our faction at election time.

There is thus nothing we can do with regard to putting people at the top of the ticket.
[/quote:33fwimqi]

I think that is so. However, I see no reason why we cannot, but mutual agreement among us, still ensure the public that certain people will hold office if they vote for the Simplicity party. This is just a matter of everyone who is "above" that person in party hierarchy declining the office.

Of course, this will mean that we don't have a "top of a ticket" if we have more than one person elected to the RA. For instance, I think Diderot has undeniable seniority in the party. Therefore, if we want Rudy and Diderot to fill the positions, and we win two spots, then, by operation of the system, Diderot is the senior member. However, we can still have a "top" of the ticket in the sense that we agree among ourselves that everyone senior to the "top" will decline the office.

[quote:33fwimqi]As regards the other issues you bring up I have no opinon about them. My concern is predominantly to further specific issues in our community and I do not mind much whether our cause is promoted by us or by other factions as so excellently done by Moon in her latest proposal. [/quote:33fwimqi]

Personally, I strongly agree with Moon's purpose of increasing citizen involvement in government. However, I am very skeptical of the wisdom of adopting a process of government by committee. I think such a form of government is both cumbersome and complicated -- and therefore contrary to the goals of the Simplicity Party. However, in this, as in most things, I am willing to accept the will of the majority, both in the Party and in the CDS at large.

[quote:33fwimqi]Having said that we really need to meet in-world soon. How does Saturday sound to you?[/quote:33fwimqi]

I am judging another debate tournament this Sat. Could we meet on Sunday instead?

Beathan

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

[quote="Beathan":1npbzyfs]I see no reason why we cannot, but mutual agreement among us, still ensure the public that certain people will hold office if they vote for the Simplicity party. This is just a matter of everyone who is "above" that person in party hierarchy declining the office.[/quote:1npbzyfs]

I really do not put any emphasis on the question of who gets elected. As I have said I am concerned about the issues and not the persons and I would prefer for it to be the case that our voters thought similarly.

We can certainly discuss incorporating into our platform a proposal to change the election process to one where the candidates are ranked according to the vote of the entire electorate. Perhaps this merits its own thread in our forum even if I think the topic to be somewhat academic in relation to the other pressing issues.

I'd rather we do not speculate any further about who gets elected since in my view it borders on a kind of self-assuredness that can come across as arrogance to the electorate.

[quote:1npbzyfs]Personally, I strongly agree with Moon's purpose of increasing citizen involvement in government. However, I am very skeptical of the wisdom of adopting a process of government by committee. I think such a form of government is both cumbersome and complicated -- and therefore contrary to the goals of the Simplicity Party. However, in this, as in most things, I am willing to accept the will of the majority, both in the Party and in the CDS at large.[/quote:1npbzyfs]

Let us create a thread called "re-vitalising the community" or "increasing citizen involvement" and invite everyone to submit their opinions about it then.

[quote="Beathan":1npbzyfs]I am judging another debate tournament this Sat. Could we meet on Sunday instead?[/quote:1npbzyfs]

I cannot be sure to be able to participate this Sunday as it happens to be December 10th - i.e. the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Since I am extensively involved in human rights activism I know that I will be out in the streets demonstrating in front of embassies on this day. If we want to be sure of my participation perhaps Friday is a better day then.

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: A simple response to Beathan

Thanks Rudy for putting yourself at the disposal of the Simplicty cause! I fully second the nomination - and think that since noone has argued against it you can consider yourself nominated by the Simplicity Party.

Concretely, I believe it is the job of the Dean of the SC to validate prior to an election which of the members of a faction are willing to serve so you need to be attentive of that question when it arrives a few weeks before the elections.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Diderot --

Excellent points all. I really don't want to count chickens before they hatch -- but often do (in RL elections too), being something of a poll-loving wonk.

Friday has some of the same problems for me. The debate tournament is a two day affair, starting Friday afternoon. However, I'm not sure that my participation is crucial. I am still getting to know the CDS, and have never participated in a CDS election. Therefore, my participation would primarily be educational for me, and I would defer to the experience of others.

Beathan

Rudy Ruml
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Withdrawing my name from nomination

Post by Rudy Ruml »

Some of you may have noticed that I have not been around often, nor engaged when I have been, and there is a reason for this. I have prostate cancer and have been undergoing a hormonal treatment that might be called chemical castration. And in a week, I will start daily radiation treatment that will last for months. I don't think I can then meet any obligations on SL, and therefore am therefore withdrawing my name from nomination for the RA election, and whatever else is pending. This does not mean that I am leaving SL. I will keep my name in, and may stop in occasionally to say hello, but I won't be up to more. I am otherwise in good health, the cancer has not spread, and I will outlive most of you.

I leave you with this:

The Tao never does,
Yet through it everything is done,
If Princes and dukes can keep the Tao
The world of its own accord be reformed.
Let it be restrained by the Nameless pristine simplicity.
The Nameless pristine simplicity
Is stripped of desire (for contention).
By stripping of desire quiescence is achieved,
And the world arrives at peace of its own.

(Lin Yutang)
:(

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Flyingroc Chung »

I'm sorry to hear about your illness; get well soon.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Rudy --

Fight the good fight, no one can do so well as you. Please keep us informed of your progress so that we can cheer your milestones along with you. As you tell us the good news of your continuing treatment, I am sure that we will show you why we call ourselves the Simplicity [i:52bp2ehv] Party [/i:52bp2ehv].

Beathan

Return to “The Simplicity Party”