Private Island Price Increase

For planning and discussing issues related to Colonia Nova, Neufreistadt's second sim under the Confederation of the Democratic Simulators.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Private Island Price Increase

Post by Brian Livingston »

As posted on the LL blog:

Due to ongoing investments in developing and maintaining the underlying technology of SecondLife, Linden Lab is increasing prices for new Private Island sales. Please note that this increase does not affect tier fees for Mainland land or existing Private Islands that you currently own.

After we run out of our existing inventory of approximately 150 regions, the cost of Private Island Set up will be US$1675.00 per region and monthly Maintenance fees per region will be US$295.00.

We have shut the land store down to give this information time to reach everyone. We are offering a limited amount of inventory at the old price when we reopen the land store at 1pm SL Time on November 1st. We will be shutting the Land Store down again to change the prices as soon as possible after we run out of Inventory. In the event orders for existing inventory are oversubscribed, Linden Lab will allocate availability by limiting orders per unique account.

Effective immediately all orders placed outside of the Land store (by phone or email) will be charged at the new price. No orders placed since the land store was taken down on Friday will be accepted. If you require special placement (next to another’s region) or other individual help, please contact the Concierge office AFTER you have placed the order through the Land Store. Orders that are currently in progress will receive the old price.

Prices on the mainland and for qualified educators and non-profits will remain unchanged at this time.

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

This will hurt us, although (thankfully) not immediately.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

A report soon on the fiscal implications would be a good thing.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

This will only affect us if we want to buy any more islands. We will have to charge a higher rent for the land there if we do.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Chicago Kipling
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Chicago Kipling »

Ah, I see. The rates we currently have are still in place. It's only if we expend to a new sim that we have to consider these new costs.

A good photograph is like a good hound dog, dumb, but eloquent. ~ Eugene Atget
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

exactly so. That said, as mainland rates will NOT be increasing, this means any expansion we do will not be competetive with LL themselves.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":32vajtlc]exactly so. That said, as mainland rates will NOT be increasing, this means any expansion we do will not be competetive with LL themselves.[/quote:32vajtlc]

That is assuming that we would be expanding by buying new islands, of course, rather than acquiring franchulates on the mainland or existing islands...

Ashcroft Burnham

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":3quo8ela][quote="Aliasi Stonebender":3quo8ela]exactly so. That said, as mainland rates will NOT be increasing, this means any expansion we do will not be competetive with LL themselves.[/quote:3quo8ela]

That is assuming that we would be expanding by buying new islands, of course, rather than acquiring franchulates on the mainland or existing islands...[/quote:3quo8ela]

It is the only way we are [i:3quo8ela]certain[/i:3quo8ela] to expand; if nobody wishes to franchulate, we can always buy another sim. If someone wishes to franchulate, then our lives are that much easier - but the cost will always be with us, and I do not seriously believe LL will leave other fees untouched.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":1wesee3x] and I do not seriously believe LL will leave other fees untouched.[/quote:1wesee3x] I completely agree.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Aliasi Stonebender":1b1bibl0]It is the only way we are [i:1b1bibl0]certain[/i:1b1bibl0] to expand; if nobody wishes to franchulate, we can always buy another sim.[/quote:1b1bibl0]

We cannot be certain to be able to afford another sim any more than we can be certain to franchulate, can we?

[quote:1b1bibl0]If someone wishes to franchulate, then our lives are that much easier - but the cost will always be with us, and I do not seriously believe LL will leave other fees untouched.[/quote:1b1bibl0]

The cost will be passed on to the franchulate holders - the cost is transparent to us.

Ashcroft Burnham

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":1xtltqqu][quote="Aliasi Stonebender":1xtltqqu]It is the only way we are [i:1xtltqqu]certain[/i:1xtltqqu] to expand; if nobody wishes to franchulate, we can always buy another sim.[/quote:1xtltqqu]

We cannot be certain to be able to afford another sim any more than we can be certain to franchulate, can we?
[/quote:1xtltqqu]

On the contrary. Our prices have always been set to allow a steady surplus in our budget; we may be non-profit but we do need to expand and (eventually) pay people more than a pittance, no?

Franchulating is a strange and new practice to SL that may never be widely accepted (though I hope it will be!). Renting land on a private sim is commonplace and I expect people who just want a quiet, nice-looking community to be a large portion of our future - they may or may not care about all the politics and nation-building. It seems a very safe forecast that CN will fill up steadily. As with Neualtenburg/Neufreistadt, which has been running a surplus since about three months into its incarnation as a private sim, CN will also be generating a small surplus and the only thing it will take is time to gather enough money for a third.

Return to “Planning Colonia Nova”