Moderator: SC Moderators

Claude Desmoulins
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Historical Document: Announcement and Platform - 3 Jan 2005

Post by Claude Desmoulins »

New Faction - Democratic Pragmatist Union
The nuts and bolts:

The group will be open to members early morning tomorrow (c. 7 am SLT) If it doesn't get enough members, it will expire on the 11th, which should provide time for people to go to other factions.

The announcement:

The Democratic Pragmatist Union (DPU) is dedicated to the following principles.

Freedom of speech and expression
Prudence in financial management and expansion
Persistence of the Projekt
The city government having an important role in the provision of civic improvements and services
The development of a service economy in Neualtenburg

Program.

The DPU proposes several initiatives to improve Neualtenburg

I Constitutional and Legal reform,

In order to ensure the long term survival of Neualtenburg, the city must alter its structures to minimize dependence on any one person, clarify the functioning of the government and its members. Accordingly,

A. The constitution should be changed to.....
i. provide a clear mechanism for proposing and ratifying constitutional amendments
ii. clearly set terms of office and election dates for the various branches of government

B. Legislation should be created to.....
i. clarify and codify existing precedent regarding issues such as government members leaving Second Life temporarily or permanently during their terms of office, and the powers of various government entities.
ii. ensure that all essential city functions (land management, website oversight, elections management, etc/.) are accessible to at least two real persons, to prevent a breakdown in government function due to the departure or incapacitation of a member of government.

II Finance

The current financial structure of the city ensures the existence of Neualtenburg, but does not provide the city with a stable and adequate operating budget. Current proposals for commercial growth include the city operation of commercial space and its privatization. Current City/Private builds are partnerships in name only, usually consisting of nothing more than a waiver of covenant provisions for particular landowners. They provide no revenue to the city.

The DPU proposes:

A New City-Private partnerships.
In these partnerships, the city would, by reducing the purchase price and/or land fees for a private commercial developer, become a silent partner on the commercial venture. In exchange, the city would receive a percentage of gross revenues. The city would have the option to periodically renew or not renew the partnership based on the venture's ability to meet agreed upon revenue targets,

B City Reserves
The city should hold in reserve sufficient funds to pay Neualtenburg's obligations to Linden Lab for one month. These funds should not be available for other purposes.

C Expansion.
i. Addition of a second sim should be planned, but the actual purchase should be delayed until
a. Existing bonds are retired.
b Land purchase commitments from future residents of the sim or gifts provide up front funding for a substantial portion of the new sim startup costs.
ii. Residents of the new sim should be citizens of the projekt. Although the new sim may have local zoning boards, its artisans should be members of die Gilde and its residents should vote for members of the RA,

Return to “Democratic Pragmatist Union (DPU)”