Friedsee Lake

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Laura Azalee
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Friedsee Lake

Post by Laura Azalee »

I was just wondering if the LUC has made any progress on changing the water of Friedsee Lake... Mandate was given by the RA months ago if I remember correctly. Now that it is frozen it's ok, but it worries me that in less than a month the ice will go and leave that ugly blue paint which does not resemble water at all.
I have done some research myself and skye's seems to be the best option:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sk ... ed/7483345
I just would like to know where we are...

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Friedsee Lake

Post by Sudane Erato »

We could easily switch the Friedsee water to Skye, as we use that several other places. If I recall, the current water is Nekka... perhaps not as good, but not a great deal worse. Skye water is nice... but...

The gold standard is really LL water, and we explored some ideas for making that happen by raising the sim water level to its max (100m), and dropping the lake floor terrain somewhat. But that solution would really alter the Friedsee experience, so I think most people oppose it. (I did some tests and took a few pictures...).

Skye seems to be in the middle of upgrading its various water products... see the new waterfalls and streams we have... they are really incredible. But they haven't upgraded the plain still water such as would be in a pond. So that might be worth waiting for. Of course, we could also easily install the current Skye water and then switch to a new one if and when it is issued... these are not big projects.

Sudane..............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Also please note that the LUC is simply an advisory group... it makes no action decisions, as I understand it, but only recommends things to the Chancellor. So probably we should ask this question of the Chancellor. If she feels this is something to do, one of us could switch to the Skye water pretty easily.

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Laura Azalee
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Laura Azalee »

Sudane i don't agree that the Friedsee water is not so bad... I think it's really terrible! Doesnt look like water at all - I do agree that there is nothing like Linden water tho.
Anyway, I will be very happy to bug the Chancellor on this one :D

Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Kyoko »

Duly bugged!

I'm fine with Sudane's interim suggestion. And the budget does have a small amount of Lindens available to defray part of the cost.

CDS Citizen
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I'm also not crazy about the Friedsee lake water. I know that Sudane has the appropriate inventory so perhaps she wouldn't mind giving it a try and we can see if it gives a better effect and doesn't cost more in land-impact (the other BIG issue for Friedsee). We could always put what is down there now back again, depending on what is best now, and hope that Skye decides to do some nice lake water soon.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I'm happy to put in the Skye water and see if we can adjust it so that it looks decent. The controller has a setting to allow group control, so some of us can give it a try. Please alert me when the ice is expected to be removed and I'll have it in by the next day... as noted, it's quick and mostly just a matter of fussing to make sure that none of the prims are landing on anyone's private parcel. To Rosie's VERY valid concern about LI, I'm quite sure it will be no more than one or two.

Sudane........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

My landlady showed me a build of hers with some really impressive water -but it was smaller, like a pool or fountain. I'm not sure if this would work for a lake or not.

That said, I asked her where she got it from and she passed me the link Skye Water System - Natural Water - Materials Enabled .

It's only L$900; but it may not be suitable. It's worth looking at, though.

EDIT

Sudane Erato wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:16 am

I'm happy to put in the Skye water and see if we can adjust it so that it looks decent. The controller has a setting to allow group control, so some of us can give it a try. Please alert me when the ice is expected to be removed and I'll have it in by the next day... as noted, it's quick and mostly just a matter of fussing to make sure that none of the prims are landing on anyone's private parcel. To Rosie's VERY valid concern about LI, I'm quite sure it will be no more than one or two.

Sudane........................

I just realized that I'm probably talking about the same thing Sudane is -mea culpa, it's like 2:30 in the morning :evil:

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Han Held wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:24 am

My landlady showed me a build of hers with some really impressive water -but it was smaller, like a pool or fountain. I'm not sure if this would work for a lake or not.

That said, I asked her where she got it from and she passed me the link Skye Water System - Natural Water - Materials Enabled .

It's only L$900; but it may not be suitable. It's worth looking at, though.

I have that water in my inventory, if that is any help?

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

While people may prefer a more traditional blue color rather than the bright turquoise for Friedsee, there are many alpine lakes that are actually that turquoise color. https://www.google.com/search?q=turquoi ... efox-b-1-d

When we were building Friedsee, we did consider making the region low enough to have the lake be Linden water with mountains surrounding it but citizens at that time rejected that design version, wanting instead to have the lake with prim water and the elevation closer to that of Neufreistadt and Monastery.

We could use Skye water instead of what is currently out. The lake takes 5 x 64 sq. m. The current nekko water is 1 prim for each of the 5 x 64 sq. m. Skye water of 64 sq. m. = 4 prims each so that would be 20 prims for the lake. At the time Friedsee is a homestead and when it was build we were severely constrained by the number of prims we could use.

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

While people may prefer a more traditional blue color rather than the bright turquoise for Friedsee, there are many alpine lakes that are actually that turquoise color. https://www.google.com/search?q=turquoi ... efox-b-1-d

We can change the colour of the Skye water via the menu.

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

We can make Skye water any color we want. It has menu choices, and also it is modifiable. I've changed the color beyond the menu choices on my own land Skye water.

The larger question is to do we want to increase the prim count.

Return to “General Discussion”