LOOKING FORWARD

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

LOOKING FORWARD

Post by Kyoko »

LOOKING FORWARD
This is not meant as a criticism of any individual or process.
It’s just my analysis of an imbalance in CDS that I see.
Please try to look at it as a whole.

kyoko

PART I
1. CDS has a problem
2. The problem is that our desire for more and more active citizens is approached primarily as a building and sim updating issue.
3. The real problem is that we don’t have ongoing interesting things happening on the sims that make people want to stay and contribute.
4. Re #2 that is a function of the people who have made the long-term commitment to CDS, builders, scripters, landscapers.
5. Thus the most active component is LUC.
6. LUC is important, but it does not solve the engagement problem and takes up much of the available energy among the active citizens.
7. Law revision and clarification is also important, and I certainly appreciate those that take it on. But big changes in our structure are not the solution to the named problem. If anything, we should simplify our structure. In doing so it is important to look forward rather than backward.

PART II
1. As a result of the foci mentioned in Part I, there is little energy or time left for drawing people in or engaging them once they are here.
2. The Welcome Committee is under the Chancellor but has never been regularly active. In my view welcome and engagement contribute to the vitality of a community.
3. As chancellor I will focus on using the existing Welcome Committee to develop value in terms of events and other forms of citizen engagement. Of course I will attend LUC and RA regularly and contribute as appropriate, but the focus of Term 34 will be on engaging the citizenry on a broader basis.

PART III
Institutions: I was lucky to learn some wisdom from a professor dance professor: Her advice was not to look for the institution to meet your need for validation. Because it won’t unless it suits their purpose. This is damaging to people and, in the end, to the institution itself.
CDS needs to be more aware of this dynamic.

CDS Citizen
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: LOOKING FORWARD

Post by Rosie Gray »

Thank you for your thoughts about this, Kyoko.

I completely agree that we need more engagement with people who like to organize events and fun things to do. While I acknowledge the help that you and a few others did this term to help with events, I was very sorry that nobody would step up to be the PIO for me this term. We DO need people who value this kind of thing to volunteer.

You are quite correct about the Welcome Committee, and I would love to see that become active and engaging. Again though, it needs more volunteers and not depending on the same people that already step up. One of the reasons that there is so much focus on the updating of the regions is because the people that actively volunteer have had this as their personal focus. I also think that there needs to be recognition that the people that step up to work on the laws aren't doing it because they particularly enjoy it - I know I don't - but it needs to be done.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: LOOKING FORWARD

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Kyoko, I will support your initiative to vitalize the Welcome Committee to the best of my abilities. We should look out for fresh people and treat them as they deserve: as a precious treasure. CDS is nothing but a dead 3D model without people.

Look out for easy1234, btw. He is a gentleman who shows a lot of interest in us. Let us try to integrate him.

I agree that we use much time on navel contemplation. But this is not necessarily a bad thing in my humble opinion. Sure it needs to be balanced with other points of interest.

It is true, we need ongoing events that activate the citizenry and draw visitors. I will reiterate the Monastery Discotheque. It is a meek contribution: you can have a DJ, Danceballs and Chat anywhere, this is nothing special. So I would like to mount a regular meditation event there too to pep up the offer.

I see our institutions as a playground for individual self realization. We have a lot of people who are creative and want to put their mason mark in our environment. Their natural places are the LUC and the Guild. This is one of our strong points. I do not see it competing with other aspects we need to evolve.

Our political system seems to produce a lot of frustration. This makes me sad. On the other hand I feel we maintain high standards of civilized debate and real opportunities to get involved and participate. Since I spend my time in there, I have learned a lot of skills I can use in RL. Most of all I have become thick-skinned, a trait you desperately need on the field of representation of interests.

Yes, we do not need big changes in our system. Let us go on to clean up and simplify and keep our hands off the constitution as long as we can. I do not support constitutional changes other than cautious-adaptive to the current code of laws, and it is my lowest priority.

I agree to your assertion that the institution is not the right source to seek validation. Validation is a present we make each other person to person. *Hugs*

May all sentient beings have happiness and the causes of happiness;
May all sentient beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering;
May all sentient beings never be separated from the happiness that knows no suffering;
May all sentient beings abide in equanimity, free from attachment and anger that holds some close and others distant.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren

Return to “General Discussion”