Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade :-)

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade :-)

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hello fellow citizens,

I'm going to do a quick forum update, which ought to fix a few very obscure security flaws, as well as bringing some of the plugins to a more recent version.

There will be a slight hiccup in the access to the forums, but hopefully nothing worse than that! (cross your fingers :mrgreen: )

Last edited by Gwyneth Llewelyn on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Back to normal. The upgrade has been successfully done, so now it's time to archive this!

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade :-)

Whew. That upgrade seemed to go well :-)

Everything should now be working flawlessly! Let me know if something is not right...

Last edited by Gwyneth Llewelyn on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Can't type. Can't spell. Can't do grammar. Duh!

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Thanks, Gwyn. I didn't notice a thing! :D

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

You're lucky, Rosie! I did! It scared me when, for a minute or so, I got the infamous 500 Internal Server Error!... Yikes!... that's the scariest one for me, because it almost never shows up on the system logs, so I usually have no clue what's wrong... this time, however, it was a simple fix!

Today is 'general upgrade day' — for some reason, a lot of things in my server (including the server itself!) were updated today, or in the past few days. I guess that the pandemic gives the opportunity for all these kind developers to stay at their comfy homes behind their keyboards, and so they have lots of spare time to update their code...

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

In case you haven't noticed by now... I've upgraded the 'toolbar' above the post editor so that it includes better-drawn symbols (as opposed to the rather blurry ones we had before). It's been something I've been discussing with the developer which does this toolbar; he had promised to include vector graphics on the next version — and he did (after some gentle nudging from yours truly :wink:). These will remain sharp no matter what size your display is — smartphone, tablet, laptop/desktop, Retina display, all of those should get crisp graphics now.

You might need to do some refreshes until you see them. This forum software (phpBB) is notoriously famous for its several levels of caching (that's why it's so fast!). There are a few new icons as well (courtesy of the toolbar's author) and I even added a couple of icons for existing code that I had added years ago — but had no simple way to add icons as well.

► Show Spoiler

But tables are cool and possibly a nice feature to have:

| Avatar name | Parcel | Blog URL |
|-|-|-|
| Gwyneth Llewelyn | P220 Neufreistadt | Gwyn's Home |
| Someone Outthere | P15 Colonia Nova | Somewhere on the Internet |
| AnotherOne Here | P66 Locus Amoenus | CDS (where else?) |

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

In case you haven't noticed by now... I've upgraded the 'toolbar' above the post editor so that it includes better-drawn symbols (as opposed to the rather blurry ones we had before). It's been something I've been discussing with the developer who did this toolbar; he had promised to include vector graphics on the next version — and he did (after some gentle nudging from yours truly :wink:). These will remain sharp no matter what size your display is — smartphone, tablet, laptop/desktop, Retina display, all of those should get crisp graphics now.

You might need to do some refreshes until you see them. This forum software (phpBB) is notoriously famous for its several levels of caching (that's why it's so fast!). There are a few new icons as well (courtesy of the toolbar's author) and I even added a couple of icons for existing code that I had added years ago — but had no simple way to add icons as well.

► Show Spoiler

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Thank you Gwyn :)
those new features seem to be cool indeed. I personally also like the "members only" option for sensitive content
.. and I do like the direct link to our portal which I just noticed :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Discussion”