Government Question Hour proposed for Sunday, April 19th at 9am SL

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Emilia Avindar
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Government Question Hour proposed for Sunday, April 19th at 9am SL

Post by Emilia Avindar »

I propose that we schedule the Government Question Hour (or whatever it may be renamed by then) to Sunday, April 19th, at 0900 SLT.

I hope that we can have representation from all three branches of our Government, available for questions and discussion from Citizens and friends.
Whether or not some part of the meeting will be transcribed will be announced at the start of the meeting. Anyone may submit a question to myself or a representative of their choice, to be read into the transcribed record at the beginning of the meeting, and let attendees agree to discuss or not. This recognizes the current attempt to rewrite or update the governing statute, discussed in another thread.

As Chancellor, my priority is to provide this window of opportunity to as many of us as possible at one time, at least monthly. We will produce a summary here, which will also be sent as notification in the group, as soon as possible, after the meeting, which will last approximately 1 hour. It may continue casually, and the informal part of the seesion not transcribed for as long as participants wish to linger. The transcription guideline remains in discussion.

Let's be relaxed and enjoy our time together.

I am open to suggestion as to the location. It would be nice to hear from members of the Scientific Council, and the Representative's Assembly that you can attend at the proposed time. I believe we need (02) Representatives, and (01) SC, although more would be even better.

Chancellor, 32nd Term, December 2019 - May 2020.
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Government Question Hour proposed for Sunday, April 19th at 9am SL

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I hope that we can have representation from all three branches of our Government, available for questions and discussion from Citizens and friends.

It would be nice to ask the leaders of the other branchens beforehand if there are members able to attend ;-)

It´s only an official GQH when all three branches are present with at least one member. Otherwise it´s just an informal gathering that does not have to follow any kind of rules :)

But yes, I think I am able to make it on april 19th at 9am slt

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Emilia Avindar
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Emilia Avindar »

Thank you for the prompt reply, Lilith. Yes, as Secretary of Scientific Council, you would provide access to the SC perspective, and if we have two from Representative Assembly, we will fulfill the requirement as long as myself or my PIO attend.. but may I ask you if the Chancellor's Representative to the LUC might also take my place, if willing when it might be necessary? If the PIO or myself were not available?

Thanks for the clarity as to Executive reach, and also I notice from discussion that the "Chair" is not necessarily the Chancellor. What defines the Chair? Is it the person who brings this informal meeting to order?

Forgive my ignorance, and please accept my apologies.

NOTE:
4. Meetings will be chaired by one of the government officials present and will be open to all citizens to attend. The Chair may be handed over to another government official present by a simple majority vote of those in attendance.

(I did check the proposed new language in the related thread, and now my question would be, simply, does the Chair have to be selected ahead, which would seem to be too much fuss Regardless, a simple majority may declare for another chair. I hope this remains a relaxed, congenial event.)

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

@Emilia: I will try my best to attend, and the chances are good. But I do not think my little messenger job as your LUC Representative makes me an able part of the executive - in fact I know very little about the daily exec biz right now. Although you can choose to give me some briefing, I doubt I would be accepted to speak on behalf of the exec (I myself would question the chancellor’s LUC rep in an exec role on a GQT ;)

edit: to add something constructive - I believe your core team consists of the PIO-gang and the EMs - so it would make sense to send an EM if no PIO is available.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Sorry but no.
Due to seperation of power a member of the RA can not represent the Exec at the GQH. NOr can an EM who serves in on e of the other branches of our government.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Emilia Avindar
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Emilia Avindar »

Thanks for clarity, Lilith.

So, I understand that only a PIO can speak as a member of the Executive Team, and that an Estate Manager acts in an executive function when behaving as an EM. I further understand that the Chancellor's Representative to the LUC does not speak or vote for the Chancellory, but in fact votes his/her own conscience, which is how I instructed Tanoujin. I am grateful that she fulfills this role, and in no way do I mean to influence her vote, nor task her with other, inappropriate duties. I am grateful to have the LUC made whole by Tanoujin's acceptance of the role, so that there is a quorum.

Please correct any error in my understanding.
Thank you!
- emilia

Return to “General Discussion”