Govt Question Hour - Transcript Discussion

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tanoujin Milestone
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Govt Question Hour - Transcript Discussion

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

I like your latest draft, Lyubov. Nevertheless it should be made clear that I can simply appear in timely fashion to the GQH, wait until the record runs and ask away, without the need to write notices to the Dean, the LRA and the Chancellor beforehand - while the answer might be „I do not know at the moment, may I answer in a forum thread / at the next GQH / in person at a later date“

Furthermore I would like to give the attendees the option to hand over the chair to another person present with simple majority.

Finally I want to stress that we have to trust our people to be souvereign in a plenum, the more because this meeting can not make binding decisions as long as we have a representative democracy.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Lyubov
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Lyubov »

Those are good suggestions Tan. I certainly would not wish to require that questions be submitted by notecard in advance. This is a time for questions and discussion. There are other democratic structures in place where binding decisions are made.

The full text of the current law is below, with proposed changes in blue.

Rationale:

In order to make the government more accessible this Act establishes an informal Government Question Time with at least one government ‘official’ from each branch of government present, once per month. The Chancellor may schedule additional Government Question Time meetings based on public demand. These meetings will be open to all CDS citizens to come and ask questions. The meetings will rotate to suit the RL hours of our community.

1. The Chancellor is charged with organizing a Government Question Time at least once per month. All members of the government (Executive, Legislative and Philosophical branches) will be invited to attend with at least one official from each attending.

2. The Chancellor is charged with facilitating representation from all three branches.

3. The Chancellor will rotate the hours of the Government Question Time to take into account the different time zones of the CDS community and to ensure representation from the different branches of government.

4. Meetings will be chaired by one of the government officials present and will be open to all citizens to attend. The Chair may be handed over to another government official present by a simple majority vote of those in attendance.

5. The Chair will post a transcript of the meeting to the CDS forums within seven (7) days. At the start, participants shall be informed that a transcript will be posted.

6. For each Question Time, the Chair will — at least seven (7) days in advance — announce date, time and meeting location in the Forum and via group notice. In the minutes before each Question Time begins, the Chair (or an alternate) will announce date, time and meeting location via group notice and in group IM.

7. Citizens will be invited by the Chair to ask questions at the beginning of the meeting, or to submit written questions via notecard in advance to the Chair, who will forward these questions to the Chancellor, Dean, and LRA in advance of the scheduled meeting.

Lilith Ivory
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Lilith Ivory »

My brain might work a little slow at the moment but for me it is still not clear that not the whole meeting has to be transcripted but only the part where actual questions get asked
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Lyubov
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Lyubov »

The entire meeting is “the part where actual questions get asked”. Once the questions, if any, are complete, the meeting and transcript are ended. People are welcome to remain after the “official” part of the meeting for a non-transcribed social discussion.

I am not in favor of turning transcription on and off at request throughout the course of a one hour meeting whenever questions are asked.

Earlier I suggested,
The meeting agenda may be: announce start of meeting, announce start of transcript, take attendance, question period (in-person or written questions submitted in advance), agree to adjourn, announce end of transcript. If there are no questions, the meeting and transcript end quickly. If there are extensive questions, the meeting may continue for up to an hour. Once the meeting is adjourned, all are welcome to remain for casual non-transcribed conversation.

Lilith Ivory
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I agree and am in favour of this.
I just want it to be made clear in the law so there is no confusion in furure :)
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Emilia Avindar
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Emilia Avindar »

Whether for reasons of style or nuance, I'm not sure, but I will say that I much prefer the original "Government Question Hour" which suggests a casual, informal event, as it has been described. Whether a "...Time" is more modern, global language may matter to some of you. I simply prefer the designation of Hour with the intent being to provide casual access to ask questions or enjoy chit chat.

A transcript would be a simple solution for full transparency. If this will abridge open speech and chatter due to self consciousness and restraint, then all the more reason for the casual definition of the hour, so as to not be overburdened with formally submitted questions, which have to proceed through some mechanism to eventual answers in the forum.

In other words, to transcribe or not to transcribe is the question. Let the hour be casual. Transcribe it all, and if so, entrust it to a discrete person and/or process. If it is truly an informal hour for easy access and chatter, a light summary could be published which highlights themes of discussion, and yes a list of attendees. Otherwise, we are redefining this event, which was just recently pulled out of the hat and presented to me as previously mandated.
Chancellor, 32nd Term, December 2019 - May 2020.

Kyoko
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Kyoko »

Sorry, my brain is a bit mushy these days. Will respond shortly.
"Life is short. Drink the good wine first."

Lyubov
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Lyubov »

Lilith: We can add an eighth point, that clearly states the meeting may be adjourned after all questions have been addressed.

8. The Government Question Time meeting may be adjourned after all questions have been addressed or after 60 minutes, whichever comes first.

"may be adjourned": May, not must.

"after all questions": Whether submitted in advance or in-person at the beginning of the meeting.

"addressed": Addressed, not necessarily answered. Allows for "I'll look into that", "Let's continue on the Forum", "We can talk in private", etc.

"or after 60 minutes": Sets a maximum time limit for the meeting.

"whichever comes first": The meeting may end promptly if there are no questions, or the meeting may extend for up to 60 minutes if there are many questions to discuss.

Kyoko
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Kyoko »

OK, not sure my brain is in better shape, but here I go.

I like the rewrite. What I want to be available, either informally or written into the law is that once all questions have been asked and the transcript closed that an informal discussion is welcome with a summary, if that.
"Life is short. Drink the good wine first."

Lyubov
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Lyubov »

The full text of the law including proposed changes is below. The current law may be found at https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/nl-7-1-go ... -hour-act/

NL 7-1 Government Question Time Act

Rationale:

In order to make the government more accessible this Act establishes an informal Government Question Time with at least one government ‘official’ from each branch of government present, once per month. The Chancellor may schedule additional Government Question Time meetings based on public demand. These meetings will be open to all CDS citizens to come and ask questions. The meetings will rotate to suit the RL hours of our community.

1. The Chancellor is charged with organizing a Government Question Time at least once per month. All members of the government (Executive, Legislative and Philosophical branches) will be invited to attend with at least one official from each attending.

2. The Chancellor is charged with facilitating representation from all three branches.

3. The Chancellor will rotate the hours of the Government Question Time to take into account the different time zones of the CDS community and to ensure representation from the different branches of government.

4. Meetings will be chaired by one of the government officials present and will be open to all citizens to attend. The Chair may be handed over to another government official present by a simple majority vote of those in attendance.

5. The Chair will post a transcript of the meeting to the CDS forums within seven (7) days. At the start, participants shall be informed that a transcript will be posted.

6. For each Question Time, the Chair will — at least seven (7) days in advance — announce date, time and meeting location in the Forum and via group notice. In the minutes before each Question Time begins, the Chair (or an alternate) will announce date, time and meeting location via group notice and in group IM.

7. Citizens will be invited by the Chair to ask questions at the beginning of the meeting, or to submit written questions via notecard in advance to the Chair, who will forward these questions to the Chancellor, Dean, and LRA in advance of the scheduled meeting.

8. The Government Question Time meeting may be adjourned after all questions have been addressed or after 60 minutes, whichever comes first.

Tanoujin Milestone
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Nice job, Lyubov! I think it is not a good idea to code the possibility of a cosy teatime, but it is most likely exactly what we have to expect in the near future. Nevertheless, what Calli stated is true - we can not have enough controls of the government by the citizens. So it is good to have this in place.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Return to “General Discussion”