Northman for Chancellor: Q&A Thread

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Drewski Northman
Lurker
Lurker

Northman for Chancellor: Q&A Thread

Post by Drewski Northman »

Good morning, folks!

I just wanted to create this thread, as I know many of our community members are scattered all around the world and might not have the opportunity to make it to an inworld campaign event. Please feel free to use this space to ask any and all questions, or share thoughts and concerns about the campaign and upcoming 30th RA term.

Thank you to everyone that could make it out last night. We had some great discussion, and you all had some good questions. Let’s keep that momentum going here on the forums. Just a quick rundown of things discussed last night:

• Reviving discontinued events (parades, holiday decorating contests, etc).

• Outreach to our neighbors, cross promotion of our events.

• Better ways of welcoming new residents, including forming a welcoming committee.

• Acknowledging the negative reputation of the CDS due to past divisions, and fixing that reputation.

• Pros/Cons of befriending role players and encouraging them to use our facilities, specifically in the steampunk/vintage themes.

Hopefully these snippets from last night’s discussion at the meet and greet get your minds going. I am very excited to engage with our community! Please fire away with all your burning questions. Thank you!

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Northman for Chancellor: Q&A Thread

Post by Han Held »

transcript when?

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Drewski Northman
Lurker
Lurker

Han Held wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:40 pm

transcript when?

Han, as this was an informal, casual meetup, there was no transcript taken, and as it was not an official government function, my understanding was that it was not required. However, wanting to give everyone a chance to ask questions, or contribute thoughts, even if they could not attend an inworld event, I created this thread. I also included some of the topics that we discussed to pique interest and encourage more questions and dialogue.

So, if you have any pertinent questions relating to my vision for the community, goals, or policies, please feel free to ask them here. I also hope you will get the chance to attend another inworld event. I plan on having several more at varied times before the election is over. Thank you for your interest!

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Drewski Northman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 pm
Han Held wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:40 pm

transcript when?

Han, as this was an informal, casual meetup, there was no transcript taken, and as it was not an official government function, my understanding was that it was not required.

Required? No.
Beneficial? Undoubtably.

A transcript would have been ever so nice because that way everyone can see what is meant by "negative reputation" and "past divisions".

It might be helpful for me to point out that we are specifically not a role-playing community, even if we have role-players in our community.

This is emphasized (we're also not a fitbit community, but no one's felt the need to mention that before this post ...unlike roleplaying, fitbit never comes up :twisted: ) because the CDS needs to be approached for what it is, and not for what it is not.

A large contributing factor of our "past divisions" is because of people approaching the CDS as if it is something it's not (whether it's a religious community, a law firm, or a roleplaying community), and then getting frustrated when their expectations aren't met.

🎉🌹

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Drewski Northman
Lurker
Lurker

If you were worried, “current events” weren’t brought up, and are really just a drop in the ocean compared to the unfortunate things that have happened in years past.And, you know as well as I do, as you spend time in Babbage and elsewhere, how our community is looked at. If we want to rectify our reputation, we have to acknowledge that yes, we’ve had some tough times. We also have to have the attitude of “that was then. This is now. We are a community that stands for unity, positivity, and having fun.” And I do believe that a little injection of fun and whimsy will do our community some good.

Also, I was very deliberate and specific in my choice of words considering role players, “befriending and encouraging to use our facilities” not completely changing the fabric of our community.. We are not strictly a role playing community, nor should we change who we are just to suit RP’ers. However, befriending role players and even encouraging them to use the space we have to tell their stories is a good thing. I like the old Wicca phrase, “An it harm none, do what ye will.” Will it kill you if you see someone hunting for Cthulhu in the catacombs of Colonia Nova? Probably not. Someone land their TARDIS on the Platz? Awesome! Heck, it might even be fun to see what people get up to. My philosophy on the subject could be boiled down to viewing it like having a tourist town. Do the locals join in with everything the tourists do? No, but are the locals gonna chase away the tourists and their sweet, sweet tourist dollars? Absolutely not. We’d be wise to take a page out of that book.

And, I would partially agree with you, re your last statement. From what I’ve gathered on past issues, like Cleo, etc. is yes, there have been some that tried to forcibly change what our community is and take control. That is not my goal at all. I want to serve this community, honor our heritage, and also strive for new ways to strengthen our community and engage with the larger SL world.

Thanks for your comments and questions so far.

Drewski Northman
Lurker
Lurker

I just wanted to add one more thought about roleplayers and what we have. I don’t think most of our community appreciates the awesome backdrops we have for stories to be told. A few examples:

• Did you know that the cathedral in NFS is haunted? Creepy stuff! Who is that ghost? Why is it still there?

• There’s a catacomb network in Colonia Nova that originally sold me on moving there. The possibilities are endless!

• There’s an airstrip that would be perfect for launching battle balloon wars from. Or...oh no, a migrating flock of air kraken on their way to Babbage got blown off course. What do we do??

• We already have seasonal changes. New Toulouse is currently in hurricane season again. Think of the possibilities for getting the community excited with a fluke storm or something.

All we are limited by is our imagination.

Return to “General Discussion”