Mesh

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Mesh

Post by Beathan »

Has anyone experimented with Mesh yet? At a minimum, mesh could be used to replace the statuary in the CDS with far better works, but I personally lack all talent in that regard.

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Bells Semyorka
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Re: Mesh

Post by Bells Semyorka »

I think sculpts might be a better alternative since everyone can see them without needing the newer viewers. (Some of us are reluctant to change or have problems using a mesh viewer)

I am experimenting with learning both Zbrush and Maya. I can create simple sculpts and hope to one day be able to make more complex pieces; however, I know several builders that might be able to create a custom sculpted item for CDS in both Mesh and Sculpts. We would just have to present a proposal to them and see if it fits in with their schedule.

Also just an FYI the newer viewers allow for Mega prim building and manipulation, which might help in saving prims on existing builds in cds. It would require a rebuilding of the current buildings and some time but the existing textures could be kept preserving the historical aspect of our public spaces.

“To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Mesh

Post by Rosie Gray »

There are indeed many places where megaprims would save on prim numbers around the sims, and that with more sophisticated building techniques would be more realistic and less prim heavy. These changes could be very easily done - things like the roads could be remade using megas and the existing textures. Hard to get people to agree to change though.

One of the things that I find really irritating about the older builds is the alpha-leaks when entire walls are made with 1 alpha texture. NFS is particularly bad in this regard. In my opinion it's time to get rid of the old fachwerks there and remake them.

I agree with Bells about mesh, but I do think that it's coming. Eventually people will have to move over to the newer browsers that support it, but it's certainly not universal yet.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “Sim and City Planning”