Citizen definition proposal

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

mikeloserevi
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Citizen definition proposal

Post by mikeloserevi »

After holding an open meeting and discussing it with other members of the citizen definition committee, I made up the following three-point proposal to correct the ambiguous definition of a citizen while still allowing for some flexibility. I've edited it slightly from what I proposed to the RA to make the language clearer. The edit is in parenthesis.

-----
A person can get citizenship (in the CDS) in the following ways:

1. Become the sole owner of a parcel of land in CDS or AA

2. Become (the sole) founder/group owner of a group which owns a parcel of land in CDS or AA.

3. Perform other services for the CDS, such as building, to gain citizenship for a 6-month term. Appropriate services will be determined by the RA and/or SC.

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Re: Citizen definition proposal

Post by solomon mosely »

i have to say, i still dont quite understand why we give building contractors citizenship. i wouldnt let my landscaper in on my family and home decisions. they arent paying my taxes.

and about the voting of citizens, stui had a very interesting idea. he suggested, to mike and pip at a meeting in world, that individuals and groups get 3 votes each, allowing a group to express different views within itself and for people to not be out-weighed by a groups voting power. it even allows someone to express their 'inner minority' so-to-speak, and being sl, i think we can all relate to a bit of duality. i'm sure stui could explain it better, i may be missing something(s), but i think that's the highlights.

as for implementing this, i have no idea. we already have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd thing for electing officials. any ballot issues could have 3 boxes each for 'aye' and 'nay' and a voter can use them as they see fit, filling any 3 of the 6 boxes.

this would make it more difficult for anyone to 'lock in' complete support from a group, via their founder, but then, that's part of the point.

and while this may be off the topic of 'what's a citizen?', i don't think you can separate what a citizen is from what a citizen can do with their presence, voting being a key part of that.

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Mikelo, would you please post a link to the transcript of the open meeting you held on citizenship? Citizenship definition is a topic of considerable interest to me and I suspect to most other CDS citizens as well. I'd like to read through the discussion,concerns,issues and perspectives that were raised by people. Also please tell us who else is on this citizen definition committee and please give us a link to the transcript of the subsequent committee discussion. As you probably know, couple of years ago there was a previous citizens committee and a very lively and extensive discussion on this Forum about citizenship. http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1289 Some of the issues raised there are still open concerns regarding the basis of citizenship and with the much larger community we have become perhaps even more important now than they were then. Pat said then (1Sept 2007) that it would be wise review past discussions relevant to citizenship as they might inform the present. He also said then that he'd "like to see more consideration of the interests." I feel that way now. Maybe I will change my mind after I read the transcripts from this committee, but right now I am feeling that we have not given sufficient consideration to the real concerns and interests regarding the definition of CDS citizenship.

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Just so everyone is on the same page regarding Comissions:

"NL 5-21 Citizen Involvement Act

Preamble
A bill to enhance citizen involvement in the government of the CDS; also to promote the deeper analysis of proposals in discussion and as means to aid the RA in their legislative work.

1. For any proposal in discussion, the RA can decide that a commission be formed to analyse the proposal.
2. The RA will decide the remit, responsibilities, lifespan and which powers, if any, it wants to delegate to the commission, with the exception of legislative powers.
3. The commission must be chaired by a member of the RA.
4. The commission shall have at least three members.
5. Any citizen of the CDS may join a commission, and must indicate their availability to the chair.
6. The commission must report on progress to the RA at each subsequent RA meeting.
7. In the event where the commission makes a formal recommendation to the RA it must include information about the extent to which it is supported by the full commission along with information about dissenting minorities and their alternative preference.
8. This act shall not preclude the assignment of bills to committee by the RA or LRA without legislative act.

passed as amended 13 January 2007"

http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=197

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Current projects of the RA http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=391

The 12th RA is now following different projects.

CDS Citizen Definition Workgroup

In its meeting of the 7 March 2010, the RA has a workgroup whose task is to define what is a CDS citizen.

Chair: Mikelo Serevi

Other members:

* Arria Perreault
* StuiChicanne Darkstone
* Pip Torok

Meetings are public.

Please identify and post links to the transcripts of these public meetings on Citizen Definition that were held subsequent to the 7 March 2010 RA Meeting.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”