The RA Section is not accessible for editing by all RA members!

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

The RA Section is not accessible for editing by all RA members!

Post by Almut Brunswick »

Dear SC members as Forum hosts,

when I attempted to post the Agenda for the Second RA Meeting today, I recognized that I'm no longer granted to post in the RA Announcement thread of the Forum. Of course, that is not optimal when e.g. the LRA has no possibility to post the Agenda in due time, so that the Pro Tempore LRA needs to take over in this respect.

Please think about changing this restriction in a way that the RA business won't be hindered, and let us RA members know.

Thanks in advance,

Almut

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: The RA Section is not accessible for editing by all RA members!

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Hi Almut

since you are pro tempore LRA I have given you posting permissions in RA announcements

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

Post by Almut Brunswick »

Thank you, Lilith, that is highly appreciated!

Almut

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

One wonders if there should be a reorganisation on the forums regarding this particular issue...

As far as I can remember, there was a point far, far back in time when the RA had 12 (!) members — this was during the Al Andaluz merger — and there was good reason to limit the roles of the RA members regarding so-called "official announcements".

But since then, the RA has consistently been at its minimum size, just 5 members. Right now, out of those 5, one is the LRA — who has write access to the announcements. Then there is the LRA pro tem — a role that wasn't formalised until recently — also with write access. And, finally, for historical reasons, the RA Archivist also has write access (to be allowed to post the minutes). That leaves a total of 3 out of 5 members with write permissions, and 2 who are "excluded" and only have read permissions (like everybody else in the CDS).

That feels a bit strange to me!

Considering the tiny size of the RA, and the very strong possibility that members can be away for a while without having time to prepare everything — relying on their RA colleagues to do so — wouldn't it make more sense to have all RA members with read/write access to the announcements?

That way, we wouldn't ever be in Almut's position — being the duly appointed LRA pro tempore but having no means to discharge her duties due to "technical difficulties".

I'm quite aware that this forum's permission system is an utter nightmare to properly manage (it's waaaaay too flexible!), and it tries — as best as it can — to replicate the rules set by the branches of government (and some other organisations, too), even if they might seem weird. It would be nice, for instance, to have the forum software automatically change the permissions after an election is over. This, unfortunately, would require a massive programming effort. It's not "impossible" — it was designed to allow such things to happen — but it's also not merely clicking on a few checkboxes :P

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

As one of the two 'excluded' RA members right now, I do think that it would make sense to have all RA members able to post to the RA announcements forum. 8)

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Well, all I can do for now is bump this thread every now and then and pester the SC to change the rules :)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

The simplest way to achieve something like this is to put the request in a notecard and drop it to the Dean. That way the request is official and there is an in-world record of the request on file - the same way the SC communicates requests to the RA to consider things.

I've checked with Delia and she has no notecard related to this and I don't either. Please send one and we'll be happy to make the changes you are asking for.

Callipygian

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “General Discussion”