A case for water regions and a new neighbour

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

A case for water regions and a new neighbour

Post by Moon Adamant »

The discussion about water sims encircling the CDS and/or connecting the CDS to Etopia has been around for some time. While there is significant agreement that this would be a very good opportunity for the CDS, to this moment the CDS has not yet been able to gather the necessary financial momentum for this expansion.
Some weeks ago, Sudane felt that the time was right to prepare a document that would present the case for a spatial connection between the CDS and our closest neighbour, Etopia. The current term having started, she brought the document to me, and also shared the document with Etopia and the VWEC. The document, which can be read here, presents a very strong case for the development of a spatial continuity through water regions, that preserve the territorial unity of the communities while fostering a closeness arising from the sharing of a common space. I won’t repeat Sudane’s arguments here, I strongly recommend that you read the document.
The reception of the document was enthusiastic: the VWEC too feels the need for a closer connection between its different communities and projects, and took the document to the attention of LL to strengthen their own case.
Still, from the point of view of the CDS, our main concern was still present: we cannot, now, support the expense of a number of additional regions, even if they would be very cheap Openspace regions that technically could be available to us as a community that rents a number of private islands.

I now need to introduce to the presentation a new player. As you all may know, Sudane, Gwyneth and I are part of the core team of Beta Technologies, a SL Solution provider which has done acclaimed corporate and research projects in SL since 2006. The remaining member of the core team whom some of you may already know is Jeff Brooks (in SL).
Beta Technologies has made a very significant project in 2021-22 called LOCUSPROJECT Amiais@SL for the University of Aveiro, Portugal. This project faithfully recreates the built environment and natural surroundings of the hamlet of Amiais, Sever do Vouga, in Central Portugal, and adds an interactive layer to educate about the intangible heritage of the place. It is live and freely visitable in Second Life.
In fact, the ACRL Virtual World Interest Group (which is an integrant part of the VWEC) will organize a visit to the project on 15 March 2023. That visit is open to you all and more information on it can be found here.

The LOCUSPROJECT Amiais@SL being completed in June 2022, it was at risk of deletion and loss of all its content since the European Union funding for it was exhausted.
Now, Jeff Brooks manages Arts Resources in Collaboration, Inc. (ARC), a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that specializes in preserving cultural content, and decided to bring in his expertise and experience to preserve the LOCUSPROJECT Amiais@SL through a new branch of ARC called VP-ARC.
VP-ARC will exclusively address the problem of the preservation of virtual world content, specifically SL and OpenSim/Kitely, and will use its +40-year expertise in developing actions for funding and fundraising, while exploring new ways to keep the preserved content alive, by using the strengths of the virtual world, namely the ease in creating community and PR content.
After a process of some months, VP-ARC now acquired the ownership of the LOCUSPROJECT Amiais@SL from University of Aveiro, only lacking the final acknowledgement from LL as to the transfer of the estate owner account.
It is the intention of VP-ARC that LOCUSPROJECT Amiais@SL joins the VWEC -- this has already been greenlighted, and only awaits the above mentioned transfer to proceed.

All these processes undergoing, Sudane and I consider that they can all merge together, resulting in the following proposal:

Amiais re-locationv3 resized.png

As can be seen, VP-ARC proposes to move the 4 Amiais regions to the vicinity of the CDS, filling in the 1-region gap with 3 water regions (tinted aqua in the map). These water regions would be charged to VP-ARC and the CDS would incur no cost for them. There is the possibility of placing a fourth region in the future (tinted blue). It is not necessary on this phase, but it would make for a more correct entrance on the Amiais river, while also providing a more stable border to Friedsee region, which may suffer from land issues derived from its extreme terraforming.
They would extend North to touch Etopia Oceania, and this would provide a physical waterway between the Amiais regions, the CDS with an access from the Locus Amoenus region, and Etopia Oceania.
As you may know, when SL estates propose a spatial continuity, LL requires that all the estate owners agree on the continuity.
Therefore, we have already shown this map to Etopia, to gather a first impression.
We now present this to the CDS RA, and to the CDS community, for your opinion, which we hope will be favourable.

We believe that the CDS will have much to gain from this spatial continuity. Etopia is a vibrant project on its own merit. Amiais is considering the establishment of its own community surrounding the project as a novel way to extend the life of research projects in the virtual world. The CDS, and indeed all three entities, can profit from the extended community life, visibility and cooperation.

Eudaimonia now!
Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

Re: A case for water regions and a new neighbour

Post by Almut Brunswick »

I read Moon's presentation and also Sudane's paper with arguments to connect to other VWEC member regions with water. Though I welcome the idea of a physical connection because of the reasons outlined by Moon and Sudane even when I'm not a sailor, there are a number of questions in my mind:

• What is Beta Technologies? I never have heard about it. (Sorry, silly (relatively) new citizen's question!)

• Why should this for me unknown new player VP-ARC sponsor three water sims that are actually completely useless aside the fact they connect two regions?

• What kind of ties and mutual advantages would raise such a connection for the entire CDS (not just some of us already involved or related to the organizations/projects mentioned)?

• Which benefit does VP-ARC expect in return from SL in general and from the CDS in particular?

• How long can or will VP-ARC's financial engagement last?

Please don't misunderstand my questions as a general "No" in advance, but neighbors should be carefully chosen and well-known to all who are involved in decisions like that - especially the RA.

Almut

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Almut Brunswick wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:27 pm

[*]What kind of ties and mutual advantages would raise such a connection for the entire CDS (not just some of us already involved or related to the organizations/projects mentioned)?

I think that this is the core of the issue. And this is exactly why I had written that "paper" some weeks ago making "The Case for Water". I won't repeat the arguments here. But not only are connecting water sims in the interest of the CDS community, they are clearly in the interest of many of the VWEC estates. Namaara MacGoragh has expressed to me her strong support for this proposal, and the VWEC group working on the issue has strongly endorsed "The Case for Water".

As for how long VP-ARC can sustain the presence of the Amiais estate and its 3 or 4 connecting water sims, who knows? Their interest is in preserving cultural content, and they along with Gwyn and Moon have made what is for everyone involved an advantageous proposal. If their funding should for some reason dry up in the future, and we are faced with the loss of those sims, we'll have to, as the old English expression has it, "cross that bridge when we get to it". We won't lose anything if it has to disappear, other than a very interesting and educationally-oriented neighbor estate, and the very valuable water connection to Etopia.

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hi Almut,

Thanks for your questions. I'll answer one by one as not to leave everyone waiting for a long post.

Almut Brunswick wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:27 pm
  • What is Beta Technologies? I never have heard about it. (Sorry, silly (relatively) new citizen's question!)

Beta Technologies is our SL Full Service Provider company, which was founded in 2006 after meeting and working together... at CDS!
We create content and develop applications for projects in SL and also in OpenSim.
Over 16 years, we have developed dozens of projects in SL: some for corporate clients such as Xerox, Saxo Bank, Grundfos, and others; gov't entities like the Portuguese Post Office and the Connecticut State Government; and very significant projects for academia like King's College London, University of Evora and University of Aveiro, Portugal, among others.

Of these academic projects, we are currently keeping two projects alive:
The LOCUSPROJECT Amiais@SL, by U. Aveiro, Portugal, mentioned in my last post.
It can be freely visited; in fact I do encourage all to visit it! Even better, join the visit by the ACRL Virtual World Interest Group next Wed 15 March :-)
And on Kitely, we have our project CITY AND SPECTACLE, which will recreate the full city of Lisbon on the eve of the 1755 Great Lisbon Earthquake, and which we hope to bring back into SL in the future (funding permitting!).
Feel free too to browse our website to see all our projects: we have done work for education and training, PR and marketing, R&D, Media... we do it all :-)

We are currently HQ'ed at Neufreistadt, next to the MoCA in Talenstrasse.
If you go there and enter the house, you'll be able to click our urban art murals to know more about our projects... Amiais is there too!

Eudaimonia now!
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

I have consulted with Jeff Bush about your second and fourth questions, since they ask what "motivations" VP-ARC has to become involved in this. He points out that ARC, the non-profit organization behind VP-ARC, has many years (since 1976) of interest in recording and preserving cultural history. For most of that time it's been focussed on cultural history as reflected in performance, mostly in the US but with large amounts of content from around the world. Indeed, another project of ARC called Eye On Dance and the Arts was recognized as one of "America's Dance Treasures".

In around 2006 we teamed up in Beta Technologies, and new cultural preservation opportunities presented themselves. Our Lisbon 1755 project was one of them, and the video which ARC made about it. From this work VP-ARC was created to focus on the preservation of cultural content in Second Life and other appropriate virtual platforms. Amiais Estate is our first cultural restoration project since the VWEC region was formed, and we immediately asked Ellie Pinion and Madori Linden about the possibility of including it, which they enthusiastically supported. Since Gwyn and Moon are an integral part of the CDS, why not move it into a location that might benefit the CDS? The addition of the connecting water sims, because of their non-profit status, is vastly more affordable to VP-ARC than for us, so it is a small expression of neighbourly good will.

Of course, the future is unknown, and ARC is a small organization. But ARC has been around for almost 50 years, supported by donations and foundation and government grants. It's likely to be able to continue to support this project. It is also not particularly invested in this location in the grid, since its interest is preservation and public accessibility. So if for any reason the CDS no longer wants its friendly neighbour, it will be perfectly acceptable to move it elsewhere.

Eudaimonia now!
Moonrise Azalee
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

I just have to say - WOW! I haven't been in CDS in quite some time, and looking on the map, I noticed the water way and was SO excited! It all looks amazing and really works to expand the immersiveness in CDS. Plus sailing...yay!
Great job all involved (PS - Moon, Ive been in Kitely with land for about 10 years now, I had no idea you were involved in projects there!)

“There is no God and we are his prophets.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road
Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I find this highly exciting! (And hello again, everyone!)

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Welcome back Bromo :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Sim and City Planning”