Proposed Text, CDSL 16-04 Citizenship membership publication for election purposes

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Proposed Text, CDSL 16-04 Citizenship membership publication for election purposes

Post by Lyubov »

Proposed text to update CDSL 16-04 Citizenship membership publication for election purposes, https://cdsdemocracy.org/faqs/cdsl-16-0 ... -purposes/ This item will be on the agenda for the next RA meeting, Wednesday 13 November at 1200 SLT.

While reviewing this law, an error was found in Section 1, making reference to the duty of the Estate Manager. It is more correct to say that this is the responsibility of the Estate Owner, and this is in fact how it is done in practice. The proposed change simply replaces "Estate Manager" with "Estate Owner" in Section 1.

Draft text follows:

1. At 12 noon SLT on the dates designated by the Scientific Council, the Estate Owner or his or her designate, will generate both a list of tier payors and a Land Scanner list of parcel owners. They will then compare these two lists to determine that a given name appears on both lists, and that that given name is current in at least one parcel tier payment. The Estate Owner or his or her designate will use these lists to create one list of the citizens who are qualified to run for office or vote, the Citizen List.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Proposed Text, CDSL 16-04 Citizenship membership publication for election purposes

Post by Sudane Erato »

Hmmmm... as the person currently designated to do these procedures for the community; the process of "performing the census"; I can say with assurance that there is no "ability" which an EO or an EM uniquely has which is needed to do the procedure. ANY citizen could be designated to perform the census.

Two collection steps are needed, as is indicated in the text. The list of tier payors is gotten by logging into the Casper website and clicking and pasting the list, so any citizen who has access to that website can do that.... at this time customarily the EM's. And the current property scanners which discover and list the names of all parcel holders can be operated by anyone! Just touch the scanner and the list for that sim will be generated for you.

Finally, those two lists must be merged to determine the unique properties which qualify the citizens. I use a rather elaborate Google spreadsheet that I built... a sheet that I'd be happy to share with anyone. But it honestly can also be done manually, if somewhat more laboriously.

So... nothing here that requires any systemic SL "ability", and certainly not an EO ability. Since by definition our EO is an alt, and not a person, I'd strongly suggest that the "Census Taker" NOT be the EO, but rather be an appointed "non-political" citizen, one of the EM's perhaps for convenience in accessing the Casper site, but this isn't essential.

Sudane......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: Proposed Text, CDSL 16-04 Citizenship membership publication for election purposes

Post by Lyubov »

Indeed, there is nothing "magical" required to generate a list of parcel owners.

Would it be sufficient to replace "Estate Manager" or "Estate Owner" with "Chancellor"? The language currently states, "the Estate Manager or his or her designate". This could be "the Chancellor or his or her designate". Then, the Chancellor may themselves generate the Census, or designate another person to perform the Census function.

Section 2 then states, "2. Within 24 hours this List will be delivered to the Chancellor, who will publish the List on the CDS Forums...". This could be changed to, "Within 24 hours the Chancellor will publish the List on the CDS Forums...".

While the Chancellor might not perform the Census themselves, it would be the Chancellor's responsibility to ensure that the Citizen List is created and published. I don't have an objection to a political person being responsible for this process, as the list is made publicly available with an opportunity to appeal inaccuracies to the SC.

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I guess since the Chancellor (as "community administrator") is the person designated to "do stuff", it makes sense to make this a function that the Chancellor designates. But it really could just as well be the LRA... or the Dean of the SC. Honestly, I've always relied on the Dean to remind me when censuses need to be taken.

Sudane.............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

In my opinion it is the duty of the Dean to control the census is taken correctly (I highly appreciate the link to the spreadsheet Sudane provides so I can have a look on how the census was done) and to accept challenges from citizens.
So, due to seperation of powers it needs to be another branch who actually does the census - and I agree with Sudane the one doing things would be the chancellor :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

Based upon this Forum discussion, I propose that “Estate Manager” be replaced with “Chancellor” in Section 1. Section 2 will be simplified to state, “Within 24 hours the Chancellor will publish the List on the CDS Forums..”.

The following shows the full revised law, with changes in BOLD CAPS.

Preamble

It is the law of the CDS that citizens must hold the title to their land for more than 28 days, and have tier paid in full to qualify to vote or to run for office. However, due to the complexities of the electoral calendar, the validation of that requirement is unnecessarily complicated.

The Citizen List shall be the certified list of CDS citizens eligible to run for office or vote in CDS Elections. The Citizen List will be created in the following manner:

1. At 12 noon SLT on the dates designated by the Scientific Council, the CHANCELLOR or his or her designate, will generate both a list of tier payors and a Land Scanner list of parcel owners They will then compare these two lists to determine that a given name appears on both lists, and that that given name is current in at least one parcel tier payment. The CHANCELLOR or his or her designate will use these lists to create one list of the citizens who are qualified to run for office or vote, the Citizen List.

2. Within 24 hours THE CHANCELLOR will publish the List on the CDS Forums, by notecard to the SL group ‘CDS’, by notecard available at the Praetorium and any other public location the Chancellor may choose, and on the CDS web portal.

3. Only those citizens whose names appear on the published Citizen List may run for office or vote in the CDS elections.

4. Any citizen may challenge the inclusion or omission of an avatar on the Citizen List by petitioning the Scientific Council. Any such petition challenging the Citizen List must be received by the Dean of the SC no later than midnight SLT, 14 days after that Citizen List is published. The SC will make every effort to resolve such challenges within 7 days, so that nominations and elections can proceed with an accurate Citizen List.

6. This bill applies to all elections and by-elections of Government members, representatives, or any official polling act called by any of the Government Branches (such as referenda or public consultation) that may have legislative power.

7. This bill does not revoke any other right of citizens, specifically NL 5-21, Citizen Involvement Act, or any public contest without the force of legislative power, such as proposing a new theme for an upcoming region to be publicly opened, redesigning the CDS official presence, or similar non-legislative acts.

Lyubov
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Lyubov »

At Wednesday's RA meeting, the proposed text was approved. The Code of Laws on the Portal will be updated to reflect these changes. Meeting transcript available at http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9241 The CDSL 16-04 discussion begins at 1238 SLT.

Return to “General Discussion”