Nolligan's Question on Harassment

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Nolligan's Question on Harassment

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I wanted to post this in the "21St RA and Chancellor Elections ->Questions from Citizens" discussion but that option wasn't available so I will post it here.

Community Standards
Harassment
Given the myriad capabilities of Second Life, harassment can take many forms. Communicating or behaving in a manner which is offensively coarse, intimidating or threatening, constitutes unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors, or is otherwise likely to cause annoyance or alarm is Harassment.
http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

1. As an elected representative how will you uphold Linden Lab's Community Standards regarding Harassment?
2. If you knew of an incident that could be construed as harassment using the above definition what would you do?

I agree that we should have zero tolerance for harassment. The problem is proving it! Let me give you a few examples:

• * A citizen is assaulted by someone using a rape animation griefer tool. That's clearly harassment and a citizen would be within their rights to defend themselves, to ban the offender (if they have that power) or to request that the Chancellor or someone else with that power do so until the SC can hear the case. This assumes that the offender wants to revisit CDS. Most don't and don't bother to exercise their right to a hearing. See how nice we are? We even give non-citizens the right to a fair hearing when they misbehave!
    * A citizen is bothered by a fellow citizen who continually makes unwelcome sexual advances, offering massages, calling them by unwelcome pet names in IM. This is one for the Lindens. We can't access IM messages without everyone's permission so the only route would be to Abuse Report the sex pest and mute them in world. The problem comes when one of these pests gets elected to the RA and you have to unblock them during meetings but I understand that some viewers allow you to hear someone's public chat while muting them in IM. This could be very helpful.
    * A citizen continually spreads lies about their fellow citizens. Old grievances are distorted and misrepresented and continually repeated as fact even though the account being given is inaccurate and misleading. The stuff that happens away from the public gaze is difficult to tackle. If people choose to spread lies, and other people choose to believe them, there is a limit to what we can do. I think that the public statements need to be challenged so everyone knows the facts are contested. Ultimately, the answer is for people to sanction this kind of behaviour by not voting for people who engage in it and by refusing to listen when they start their litany of carefully nursed and nurtured grievances against 'the elite', 'the oldbies', 'the illuminati' or whatever group is believed to be at fault.

If I was aware of harassment I would recommend some course of action along the lines set out above. If I saw someone using a griefer tool in front of me I would take immediate action and ban them. The other situations require a different response and I would give advice along those lines. But our main tools for dealing with this are: Abuse Report ToS violations and serious incidents; ban people for extreme behaviour (i.e. using a rape animation on someone to grief them); mute people who abuse you in IM (and report them to LL); social sanctions for those who enjoy 'under the radar' griefing e.g. spreading lies, tattle-tales, winding people up; disrupting meetings.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Nolligan's Question on Harassment

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

in the basement of the kirche from 2012 until 2014

What course of action did you recommend for Gaius?

Since you ARE chancellor and have had an opportunity to deal with a person who has Harrassed and Griefed, why don't you tell us what you DID ?

If I was aware of harassment I would recommend some course of action along the lines set out above. If I saw someone using a griefer tool in front of me I would take immediate action and ban them. The other situations require a different response and I would give advice along those lines. But our main tools for dealing with this are: Abuse Report ToS violations and serious incidents; ban people for extreme behaviour (i.e. using a rape animation on someone to grief them); mute people who abuse you in IM (and report them to LL); social sanctions for those who enjoy 'under the radar' griefing e.g. spreading lies, tattle-tales, winding people up; disrupting meetings.

Interesting.. Because you seem to condone the griefing in CDS that is not only PROVABLE but watched by others frequently and a good friend of yours who you are known to say in the forums about one of his antics against me " I am getting to like you more and more G".

What did you do as chancellor about this griefing harassment and death threat that has been in CDS since 2012 :

What have you done to rectify the griefing that you removed from the Kirche Sunday morning?
Is Gauis banned from CDS ?

Is he still able to rez? In CDS ? Last I looked he is in Land Vertawang?

Are you aware he attended the Christian Church Service Sunday and played Buddist prayers outloud during the service. So I guess hes not banned....

The provable is not dealt with by you and your group of friends, because of what ?
It isn't hard to understand.

Attachments
CLEO's name on coffin in Kirche basement from 2012 til 2014 ..  what has pat done to the perpetrator??
CLEO's name on coffin in Kirche basement from 2012 til 2014 .. what has pat done to the perpetrator??
cleo on a coffin resize.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
Cleo
Trebor Warcliffe
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Trebor Warcliffe »

Are you aware he attended the Christian Church Service Sunday and played Buddist prayers outloud during the service. So I guess hes not banned....

The quote is from Cleo's post before mine. I attended the Easter Sunday service that I think Cleo, JerryDon, and Colt put on. I am not a Christian. I consider myself non-religious but that is neither here nor there. My main purpose of attending the Easter Sunday service was to see how the turnout was from both citizens and non-citizens. I have to say I was very happy with the turnout I believe there were over 25 in attendance and many of them I had never seen before. Therefore when I heard JerryDon was going to be holding Sunday services again I was glad. Any type of event, religious or non-religious, if it exposes our community to the bigger world of SL than that's great.

I was not in attendance during these services. If it is true that Gaius was playing Buddhist prayers out loud during a Christian service supported by the CDS than that in my opinion is indeed griefing. We claim freedom of religion in the CDS. We provide our Kirche as a place of worship open to all religions. I don't feel it reflects kindly if our community allows griefing during religious ceremonies. Whether you're a Christian, Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Muslim, Buddhist, Odinist, Satanist, Baptist, Jehovah Witness, or any other known religion if you're holding a service in the CDS you should be protected from any type of griefing during your services or ceremony or gathering.

I do hope this claim is investigated by the proper party and if it is proven as fact than appropriate actions should be taken. I don't feel a permanent ban is an appropriate action but do see a temporary ban of citizenry and/or visiting in the CDS could be a possibility. P.S. when I say "supported by the CDS" I say it because even though the CDS government didn't host the event we allowed the event to be held in one of our public buildings. I hope this "support" would be shown to any and all religious groups now and in the future.

Thank you,
Trebor Warcliffe

Let us move away from all of the "us" and "them" and turn our attention to "we."
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Umm... Thank you trebor , the buddist prayers G did in theb middle of our Christian service were in open chat so everyone there heard it and has it on their saved open chat file .

You failed to mention the effigy with my name on the coffin and whether that or G burning my name at the stake is griefing . I sure our dear chancellor will ignore this until his supporter who is the griefer, G, gets to vote for him.

G will be voting for Patroklus for Chancellor.

A whike back Patrokolus had been heard saying how he likes G more and more as his griefing and hate crimes escalated toward me.

Pat states above that he will personally follow through with griefing yet after pat returned the CLEO name plate on the coffin from the kirche not only was G not banned as pat declares. It's the same text ie of my name G burned at the stake on public property yet G remains a citizen with rez rights ? G can still rez in CDS. A known griefer many times over can rez in CDS ?

If pat bans gaius or upsets him he can't cast his vote for pat could that be it ?

Cleo
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Perhaps pat doesn't follow through on his promise in this thread to keep G in the voting list. Or is it just another campaign promise Pat makes and doesn't keep?

Cleo
Trebor Warcliffe
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Trebor Warcliffe »

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

Umm... Thank you trebor , the buddist prayers G did in theb middle of our Christian service were in open chat so everyone there heard it and has it on their saved open chat file .
You failed to mention the effigy with my name on the coffin and whether that or G burning my name at the stake is griefing . I sure our dear chancellor will ignore this until his supporter who is the griefer, G, gets to vote for him.
A whike back Patrokolus had been heard saying how he likes G more and more as his griefing and hate crimes escalated toward me.
Pat states above that he will personally follow through with griefing yet after pat returned the CLEO name plate on the coffin from the kirche not only was G not banned as pat declares. It's the same text ie of my name G burned at the stake on public property yet G remains a citizen with rez rights ? G can still rez in CDS. A known griefer many times over can rez in CDS ?

If pat bans gaius or upsets him he can't cast his vote for pat could that be it ?

I failed to mention the effigy with your name on the coffin and whether that or G burning your name at the stake is griefing because that was in the past and I don't live in the past. I think my recent post to you shows that the past hasn't always been nice to me. I addressed the Buddhist prayers (notice the capital B) all religions should be capitalized whether their Christian or not. So I addressed this incident because it is a current event that can and should be addressed, not something that began two years ago and just recently came to light or the other incident which has long passed us by.

Trebor Warcliffe

Let us move away from all of the "us" and "them" and turn our attention to "we."
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Pat removed the CLEO from the coffin on the same day as the buddist prayers incident

Both the same perpetrator ......
Back in time?

OUR CURRENT CHANCELLOR defies his own words in this same day

Pat is very inconsistent in handling the incident ..from what he says he will do to griefers in this very thread and what he has done to one with two incidents on one day. I'd say my name on a coffin was a crime every day it was there. Up until the day it was removed which as I said was the same day as the buddist prayers

Trebor Warcliffe wrote:
cleopatraxigalia wrote:

I failed to mention the effigy with your name on the coffin and whether that or G burning your name at the stake is griefing because that was in the past and I don't live in the past. I think my recent post to you shows that the past hasn't always been nice to me. I addressed the Buddhist prayers (notice the capital B) all religions should be capitalized whether their Christian or not. So I addressed this incident because it is a current event that can and should be addressed, not something that began two years ago and just recently came to light or the other incident which has long passed us by.

Trebor Warcliffe

Cleo

Return to “Questions from Citizens”