Moderator: SC Moderators

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Discussion of NL 5-15 Citizen Information Act

Post by Rosie Gray »

current act:
NL 5-15 Citizen Information Act

The avatar names of CDS citizens shall be considered public information. The Estate Owner shall make this information available both in world and via the world wide web. This information will be updated at least once per calendar month.

passed 8 December 2006
amended 25 March 2007

I suppose this law was created so that there is a public record of who is a citizen, for the purposes of voting. It's not really clear from the wording, and the onus is placed upon the Estate Owner only. While the current Estate Owner (EO) fulfills the function, should there be an allowance for the job to be delegated by the EO to the Chancellor, or perhaps to the Dean of the SC? Also, it has always fallen upon the Chancellor to post the information publically, which seems reasonable, but isn't accounted for in the current legislation.

Thoughts from anyone else about this?

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Discussion of NL 5-15 Citizen Information Act

Post by Rosie Gray »

Upon reviewing CDSL 16-04 Citizenship membership publication for election purposes, it appears to me that there is no need for NL 5-15 Citizen Information Act at all, and that we can be safe to file it as Archaic Code. CDSL 16-04 covers who and when the census are taken.

~ Tommy Douglas
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

It's quite possible that I read CDSL 16-04 too quickly, but I don't recall seeing a provision in it for a census every month. It seemed to be speaking only to election-time census updates. I don't personally think a monthly census is necessary anyway, but maybe that difference is why we have both laws?

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

That's true, Sylvia, and something I guess I glossed over in my mind. Thanks for pointing it out.

~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

I think we do not need a census every month, it is an unneccessary burden, more so because we have two censuses per term. To be more exact, we have a census every last Friday in January, every last Friday in February, every last Friday in July and every last Friday in August. Lilith was so kind to look deeper into this for us.
CDSL 16-04 Citizen membership publication for election purposes, CDSL 20-02 By Election Procedures Act and CDSL 16-03 Citizenship Establishment Act are regulating the necessary censuses already.
So I agree with you, let us just repeal NL 5-15.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Hmmm... is that the mandated sequence?

It's been my understanding that... first... the census is taken twice a certain number of days before each election. First, to establish who can run for office, and then, second, about 10 days later, who can vote. Both of those are a month or so before the election. I don't think they are a full month apart.

THEN, the additional censuses were added so that we had SOME kind of qualifying list should there be a last minute resignation, and we found ourselves needing to fill a post within fewer days than it would take for a full election cycle. Therefore the two mid-term censuses were added. I've never been told that we were supposed to do a census each month.

Isn't that the current census schedule?

I don't think we need a census every month either, and the need for the intermediate ones is questionable. BUT... I REALLY would support research into a system (and it probably means custom software) which would keep a real-time census, whereby on any day we know exactly how many citizens could run for office, and how many citizens could vote. That would be ideal!

Sudane................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg

Return to “Legislative Discussion”