SC Meeting Transcript, sunday May 1th

Announcements by the Dean of the Scientific Council

Moderator: SC Moderators

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SC Meeting Transcript, sunday May 1th

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Lilith Ivory: ok are we already to get started?
Aliasi Stonebender: (Suppose Soro won't be making it?)
Lilith Ivory: I did not hear from him but he knows we have a meeting
Lilith Ivory: or knew
Lilith Ivory: the agenda is in the box with the owl
Lilith Ivory: does everybody have it?
Lilith Ivory: Hi Delia
Aliasi Stonebender: got it
Delia Lake: Hi :)
Lilith Ivory: I move to aprove the agenda
Aliasi Stonebender: second
Lilith Ivory: so vote
Aliasi Stonebender: aye
Callipygian Christensen: aye
Lilith Ivory: aye
Arria Perreault: aye
Lilith Ivory: good thank you
Lilith Ivory: first item:
Lilith Ivory: structured questioning to our new SC candidates
Callipygian Christensen: /me raises her hand
Lilith Ivory: yes Calli?
Callipygian Christensen: thank you - since Coop answered questions at the last meeting, I move that we vote on his addition to the SC
Lilith Ivory: I would second that
Aliasi Stonebender: So vote then, no?
Lilith Ivory: yes let?s vote
Callipygian Christensen: Lilith - for the record, ask the question? :)
Lilith Ivory: ok sorry
Lilith Ivory: I move we appoint RG Cooperstone as a new member of the SC
Callipygian Christensen: I second
Arria Perreault: aye
Lilith Ivory: welcome the the SC Coop :)
Callipygian Christensen: welcome Coop
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Thank you all
Delia Lake: Congratulations, Coop!
Widget Whiteberry: ?smiles?
Callipygian Christensen: Havea seat - we can rez another if Soro appears :)
Lilith Ivory: what should we do with our other candidate Timo Guffler in case he does not show up during this meeting?
Aliasi Stonebender: (the nice thing about copy items in SL. more seating is always in the budget)
Lilith Ivory: ah one more thing
Lilith Ivory: Coop can allready participate in our discussions but not vote untill he is affirmed by the RA
Lilith Ivory: Calli?
Callipygian Christensen: Timo had indicated he woud be here, so theremay be some extenuatin circumstances keeping him away. However, having missed two meetings  I suggest you talk to him Madame Dean, to ensure he is able to commit to the SC at this time?
Lilith Ivory: yes that makes sense to me
Lilith Ivory: if RL keeps him away from this meeting it had been nice at least to inform us
Lilith Ivory: can we move to our next agenda item now?
Lilith Ivory: Standard template for petitions
Lilith Ivory: there is a link to this item on the forum
Lilith Ivory: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7523
Lilith Ivory: and also the draft is in the box
Lilith Ivory: can we start the discussion about this draft?
Lilith Ivory: Calli, you had a very good addition to it, do you want to start?
Callipygian Christensen: thank you. Two things - first, i the draft - I feel all petitions are meant to be heard in a public meeting - barring some major concern to RL life and limb - which is not in our field of control anyway.
Lilith Ivory: /me nods
Callipygian Christensen: We have only ever heard one petition in camera that I know of, and doing so posed major concerns about transparency etc
Callipygian Christensen: I believe we should state - all petitions are made public. We coulld also add 'Contact the Dean to discuss concerns about publication.?

Aliasi Stonebender: /me raises hand.
Callipygian Christensen: Second: and this is with apologies - I only came across the notecard this morning when getting ready for this meeting - I have posted some text from way back, here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 523#p43171
Callipygian Christensen: I think some form of it would make a good addition to the template
Callipygian Christensen: done
Lilith Ivory: thank you Calli
Lilith Ivory: Aliasi?
Aliasi Stonebender: While I think Calli's "contact the dean" note was meant to cover this, I do think we shouldn't phrase the notecard to imply we don't ever have the option. While I am concerned about transparency I do think the very occasional situation might come up when we have to hear something in camera. But we should make it clear all petitions are public unless we think it might be otherwise, you don't get to request.
Callipygian Christensen: /me nods - I'd support that Aliasi - I just dont want to see nonpublished petions become a behind the scenes' practise of the SC's role
Lilith Ivory: I tend to agree we should have it as our decission if a petition needs to be reviewed in camera
Callipygian Christensen: So perhaps some wording that says 'All petitions are public, unles the SC believes in camera review is necessary?
Aliasi Stonebender: I'd go with that
Lilith Ivory: sounds good for me and I think this states it is possible to contact the SC asking for camera review
Lilith Ivory: Aria? any thoughts on that?
Arria Perreault: I think it should be possible
Lilith Ivory: are you done Aria?
Arria Perreault: yes
Arria Perreault: I agree with the suggestion of Calli to add the types of petitions
RogueGeek Cooperstone: /me raises hand
Lilith Ivory: I like that too, would just prefer a wording that is more clear for non native speakers
Lilith Ivory: Coop?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Retaining the right for a private review retains the SC's power to do so, and also the citizen's right to have that option
RogueGeek Cooperstone: While they may not be used much, I'd like to keep the option open
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I'd also say that after the matter is closed, I wouldn't object to posting the transcripts or results, unless it was so controversial that there would need to be some future date posted
RogueGeek Cooperstone: done
Lilith Ivory: thank you Coop - and Arria
Lilith Ivory: ok anyone else?
Lilith Ivory: can we agree on a wording for this first part right now or do we need more time to work on that?
Aliasi Stonebender: With the provisios we've mentioned, I think the current wording is pretty close.
Callipygian Christensen: I think we've made suggestions - if Arria is willing to continue the work on this, perhaps we leave it with her and reveiw next meeting?
Lilith Ivory: and btw I would be very careful with posting the transcripts of camera meetings as there might be a serious reason not to hold it in public
Lilith Ivory: Arria, are you willing to keep working on this?
Arria Perreault: I can try to make a new version
Arria Perreault: for the next meeting
Lilith Ivory: good thank you Arria
Lilith Ivory: Next agenda item:
Lilith Ivory: Hearing and Impeachment Procedures
Lilith Ivory: the draft is in the box too
Lilith Ivory: who wants to start the discussion?
Callipygian Christensen: Today we have hearing draft..next meeting I will have impeachment, once this one is deal with :)

Callipygian Christensen: A little history - we had two previous drafts that were discussed and we tabled waiting for a law to pass, sinceit identified actions and behaviours deserving banning
Callipygian Christensen: This is for hearings by the SC - and I suggest looking at the draft here: thankyou. A little history - we had two previous drafts that were discussed and we tabled waiting for a law to pass, sinceit identified actions and behaviours deserving banning  since you can see bolding
Callipygian Christensen: oops
Callipygian Christensen: here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7553
Callipygian Christensen: I suggest looking at it there so you can see bolding :)
Callipygian Christensen: the only changes to the previous draft are addition of the actions and behaviours - these are stted in law..and a slight change in the wording re appeal - it previously said a super majoroty vote of the *whole* SC. With the addition of recusal of the member who originally held the hearing, a simple majority vote of the remaining SC is reasonable.
Callipygian Christensen: done.
Arria Perreault: Sorry, I will have to leave in few minutes ...
Lilith Ivory: ok
Lilith Ivory: do you want to start the discussion about this draft before you have to leave?
Arria Perreault: I cannot, sorry
Arria Perreault: I have to go now ...
Lilith Ivory: good bye Arria :)
Arria Perreault: Have a nice day, all
Arria Perreault: bye :-)
Rosie Gray: bye Arria!
Callipygian Christensen: bye Arria
Aliasi Stonebender: well, still have three of us, so we are quorate, no?
Callipygian Christensen: /me nods..we are
Lilith Ivory: I would think so
Aliasi Stonebender: well then. I don't see anything to object to, scanning over this draft.
Lilith Ivory: me neither
Lilith Ivory: Coop? do you want to say anything about it?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: No ma'am
Lilith Ivory: /me smiles
Callipygian Christensen: I move that we adopt the Hearing Procedures as posted  here http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7553 (full text to be posted in announcements)
Lilith Ivory: I second
Lilith Ivory: thank you
Callipygian Christensen: just a coment - therehas never been any set procedure for hearings in the past - I consider this a major step in filling the gaps- thank yu
Callipygian Christensen: done
Lilith Ivory: I totally agree! Thank you Calli for doing this work :)
Lilith Ivory: next I would like to add two more administrative things if that?s ok for you
Callipygian Christensen: no need to ask - Admin is on the agenda :)
Lilith Ivory: as we all know we have elections coming up soon and the deadline to declare for candidacy is may 3th at noon
Lilith Ivory: we still need a few more candidates for RA and also a candidate for chancellor is still missing
Lilith Ivory: so please anyone who here might consider standing up and run :)
Lilith Ivory: also Aliasi wanted to make a statement about the election software she was working on
Lilith Ivory: Aliasi please gop forward :)

Aliasi Stonebender: ah. I've already let it be known in email, but the software I was provided wasn't the production, ready-to-go version and I was, admittedly, operating a little outside my area of expertise. I was expecting something working that needed maintence, not something that needed fixing.
Aliasi Stonebender: So with that in mind, I've recommended that we stick with the system we've been using. It seems to work, the expense isn't unreasonable, and we know it's solid.
Aliasi Stonebender: (basically he'd just scraped every vaguely related source file into a zip archive and sent ti my way. Better than nothing in a sense, but a bit like trying to make sense of a jumble)
Lilith Ivory: thank you Aliasi :)
Callipygian Christensen: /me rises her hand
Callipygian Christensen: than you. Opavote is a very good system, but using it removes one important tradition of voting in CDS - the need to log IN to SL and be present to begin the voting process.
Aliasi Stonebender: while this might sound a little silly
Callipygian Christensen: I would suggest we incorporte some form of this if we move to use Opavote moving forward. Perhaps login and 'register' with the Dean or some such action.
Aliasi Stonebender: I wouldn't be opposed to us setting up a web-on-a-prim 'voting booth' to at least permit that feel.
Callipygian Christensen: Aliasi - is the LL tech trustworthy enough and accessible to everyone if we go that route?
Lilith Ivory: didn?t "log in and send your email adress to the SC" serves this purpose?
Aliasi Stonebender: We wouldn't actually be changing much of anything, Calli
Callipygian Christensen: Lilith - there needs to be a login *during* the polling period I think
Aliasi Stonebender: HTML-on-a-prim is powered by the web browser module within the viewer, which is just a version of Mozilla (the engine used in Firefox).
Aliasi Stonebender: In a certain sense using it shouldn't be any different than loading a web page, just setting up a HUD that someone could attach (or whatever) would mean one could stay in SL. An even simpler version would simply open up the in-viewer browser, which is maybe better.
Callipygian Christensen: Well if we check that this will work with Opavotes security features, and test it well..I would agree
Lilith Ivory: can we make sure that citizens which use old or odd viewers can use this too?
Aliasi Stonebender: eh... probably not, but they can still just... load the web page as a backup.
Aliasi Stonebender: I'm proposing this more as a convenience/tradition feature, since you'd still ultimately be going to opavote's website.
Callipygian Christensen: I think the voter *must* go to the website form the link in the  e-mail they receive.but I can check on that
RogueGeek Cooperstone: I think Calli is correct
Aliasi Stonebender: *nod* it's been a little while since last election so I don't recall.
Lilith Ivory: me neither and I would not call myself an expert with that kind of things
Callipygian Christensen: for now..perhaps we get RA to decide if opavote is to be used ongoing - and we identify how to ensure a login  oover th e next week
Lilith Ivory: Can you try to figure something out Aliasi and Calli?
Aliasi Stonebender: ok
Callipygian Christensen: /me nods
Lilith Ivory: /me is of no use with things like that
Rosie Gray: /me quietly pardons herself an scoots off for a bit
Lilith Ivory: thank you Aliasi and Calli

Lilith Ivory: before we can adjourn I need to correct myself about the deadline to declare for candidacy
Lilith Ivory: it?s Deadline for declaration to run: 12 noon SLT may 4
Lilith Ivory: when shall we meet next?
Callipygian Christensen: may 28 or 29?
Aliasi Stonebender: No idea when would be best, since we do at least need the RA to deal with a few things
Aliasi Stonebender: 28th would work for me probably.
Lilith Ivory: I?m just trying to figure out when the RA meets next - without success so far
Callipygian Christensen: would it be possible to go back to 8 or 9 am timeframe?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: will they meet again this term?
Lilith Ivory: I am fine either with 28 or 29 may and all times between midnight and noon slt work for me
Delia Lake: (( /me thinks the RA meets next weekend if memory serves ))
Callipygian Christensen: ra is may 7
Lilith Ivory: thank you
Lilith Ivory: so saturday may 28 8 or 9 am?
Callipygian Christensen: good for me
Aliasi Stonebender: works
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Works for me
Lilith Ivory: 8am or 9am?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: 9 is better for me
Callipygian Christensen: I can live with 9 :)
Aliasi Stonebender: sure.
Lilith Ivory: ok
Lilith Ivory: next meeting will be saturday may 28 , 9 am slt
Callipygian Christensen: move to adjourn
Lilith Ivory: I second
Callipygian Christensen: /me starts moving furniture

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”