Widgets petition re Authority of the RA
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7407

Old Business:

1. Standard template for petitions - Arria

2. Hearing and Impeachment Procedures - Calli

Next meeting: TBA

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilith Ivory: ok I call this meeting to order
Lilith Ivory: has everyone gotten the agenda and do you aprove?
Lilith Ivory: hi Pat
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Well, Hello Pat
Tanoujin Milestone: Pat :)
Patroklus Murakami: hi all :)
Soro Dagostino: Move approval of the Agenda.
Shep Titian: Hi Pat :))
Callipygian Christensen: second
Lilith Ivory: aye
Soro Dagostino: Aye
Aliasi Stonebender: aye
Lilith Ivory: Calli?
Callipygian Christensen: oh..aye
Lilith Ivory: /me smiles
Lilith Ivory: ok, let?s start
Lilith Ivory: first item, the by elections to fill the vacant RA seat
Lilith Ivory: I think we don?t have to do much more as we have Em Warden as only candidate
Lilith Ivory: and she is on the actual census list
Soro Dagostino: Raises Hand.
Lilith Ivory: as this is my first election I just wantd to ask my fellow SC members if we have to do more than announcing her on the forum andn swearing her it at the next RA meeting
Lilith Ivory: Soro?
Soro Dagostino: What is it we are supposed to do?
Soro Dagostino: If there were two candidates?
Soro Dagostino: done.
Callipygian Christensen: /me raises her  hand
Aliasi Stonebender: we... run the election, Soro. Although this case is much like when we had exactly enough candidates to fill the RA itself.
Lilith Ivory: we would have to run a by election as gaius resigned befre march 31
Lilith Ivory: you can rread up the procedure here:
Lilith Ivory: CDSL 20-02 By-election Procedures Act
Soro Dagostino: Thanks -- I'll look.
Soro Dagostino: Carry on.
Lilith Ivory: am I right with only one candidate we can just announce Em as new RA member and swear her in?
Callipygian Christensen: /me waves her hand :)
Lilith Ivory: Calli? sorry
Shep Titian: Raises hand
Callipygian Christensen: Officially I believe we must wait for the 14 day  'time to challenge the Citizen List' to pass
Soro Dagostino: :)
Callipygian Christensen: Once the List is declared acurate, and a lone candidate is on it, then yes, we would just declare the seat as theirs
Callipygian Christensen: I believe that date in this case will be march 18
Callipygian Christensen: done
Lilith Ivory: thank you Calli :)
Lilith Ivory: so let?s wait till march 18
Lilith Ivory: Shep?
Shep Titian: Wonders if enough has been done to advertise the vacancy?
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Hasn't the nomination period ended?
Lilith Ivory: the SC has done what the SC was supposed to do :)
Tanoujin Milestone: good point Coop
Shep Titian: Not that I have any problem with Em
Lilith Ivory: the nomination period was one week as you can read in the law
Lilith Ivory: the period is shorter for by elections to fill the vacant seat as soon as possible
Shep Titian: done
Callipygian Christensen: Call for candidates was posted on March 4th, so nominations closed on March 11 (just for the record)
Lilith Ivory: I have posted the call for candidates at the forum and have snt out an inworld notice
Lilith Ivory: is there anything else to add or can we move to item 2 of new business?
Callipygian Christensen: nothing to add here
Soro Dagostino: Questions answered.
Lilith Ivory: Aliasi?
Aliasi Stonebender: I don't think so, nope.
Lilith Ivory: ok :)
Callipygian Christensen: She may be AFk..so maybe just move on?
Callipygian Christensen: oh..there she is lol
Lilith Ivory: let?s move to item 2
Lilith Ivory: Widgets petition re Authority of the RA
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7407
Tanoujin Milestone: website is down :(
RogueGeek Cooperstone: again
Lilith Ivory: lol yes I just wanted to post the petition here for the record
Lilith Ivory: moment I have it as a nc too
Lilith Ivory: Petition to the SC
From Widget Whiteberry
Oct 21, 2015

Re Authority of the RA

Is a sitting RA bound by the actions or decisions of a previous RA, when there is evidence to suggest that continuing a path of action might impact CDS negatively??

Is it the case that, since each RA sets it?s own priorities, when a RA leaves work unfinished, the subsequent RA will not necessarily complete it the way the earlier one may have envisioned?

Background:
On Sept 17, I posted the following to the Forum <http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7091>

?I can only wonder what the current and immediately previous members of the RA ? as the body that has led and authorized the effort to approve and bring a new region online ? is thinking about how to maintain a sustainable occupancy rate.?

Han Held, a member of the 23rd RA, replied:
?The decision to get the new sim was made in the 22nd RA, turning around and saying "no, we're not doing this" wasn't really an option for us in the 23rd -the course had
Lilith Ivory: been decided, we carried it out.?
Lilith Ivory: Soro, do you want to start?
Soro Dagostino: AS I understand the issue, the action by the preceeding RA wasn't complete?
Soro Dagostino: It was "unfinished business?"
Lilith Ivory: yes, looks like it as it was about planing and buying our new region
Callipygian Christensen: This isnt about a specific action, I think, but a general 'what are the permissible or required actions of an incoming RA'?
Lilith Ivory: /me nods in agreement
Soro Dagostino: Are those questions not answered in Robert's Rules of Order?
Soro Dagostino: If a body takes up an issue, and it becomes an item of business, isn't it up to the continuing members of the organizational body to act or reject?
Soro Dagostino: There may be "new members" in the Body. but the "memeber's" are not the reason the Body exists.
Soro Dagostino: The Body is what continues business.
Aliasi Stonebender: /me raises hand.
Callipygian Christensen: /me raises her hand
Lilith Ivory: Hi Han
Soro Dagostino: done.
Lilith Ivory: Aliasi after Soro, than calli
Han Held: Hi, Lilith
Aliasi Stonebender: Wouldn't it be somewhat ridiculous that a successive RA could not act against the decisions of a prior RA? I mean, *a large portion of the laws the RA has ever passed* could qualify under that. I believe it is only a concern when there's some legally-binding aspect to it. If the CDS was party to an actual agreement or contract (i.e., buying a sim from someone as opposed to a new one from LL directly).
Aliasi Stonebender: If we've already agreed to buy the sim, and then back out, that's no good. But if it hasn't gone beyond 'we should buy a sim', then it's fine for the next RA to say 'actually, that's a bad idea now'.
Aliasi Stonebender: done.
Lilith Ivory: thank you
Lilith Ivory: Calli?
Callipygian Christensen: thankyou. Exactly as Aliasi has said. I believe this specifies 'bound by the actions or decisions' - so it isnt so much 'outstanding items covered under rules of order' as ' is an incoming RA bound by a decision that, time having passed, is now a poor decision that negatively impacts the CDS'
Han Held: /me shuffles in my seat
Soro Dagostino: Rasies hand.
Callipygian Christensen: THe RA is tasked with the long-term planning  of CDS. This includes fiscal responsibility. RA is also 'representative government' - which does not mean that every individual concern or complaint changes the direction of the CDS..
Callipygian Christensen: at any gien time the RA must make decisions that may be 'not to theliking' of a portion of the populace - but the RA has an obligation in those cases, to do what is best for CDS - and at times that may include reversing the decisions of previous RAs where new information is found or change has occurred. Done.
Lilith Ivory: thank you calli
Lilith Ivory: Soro?
Soro Dagostino: Point of order -- my remarks were directed at "unfinished business."
Soro Dagostino: Taking a "new direction" from adopted matters, is "new business" and well within the rights of any new RA.
Soro Dagostino: done
Han Held: /me raises my hand
Lilith Ivory: thank you Soro :)
Lilith Ivory: I was looking and infact we have no law that states the RA is bound to decisions a former RA has made, nor do we have a law that says something different
Lilith Ivory: but we have a lot of precedences when new RAs took back lawas made the term befote
Lilith Ivory: the best example is the RA term limit act that has been aproved and taken back twice from different RAs
Lilith Ivory: so I agree with my fellow SC members it was not a good idea if a RA had to follow decisions former bodies made for any reason
Lilith Ivory: done
Lilith Ivory: Han?
Han Held: Thank you, Lilith.
Han Held: I'm not here to argue wether the RA has the authority. It's my understanding that the RA has the authority to overturn any decision or law previously passed. My arguement in general is that it's a bad idea for the government to constantly turn around and undo it's decisions. Having the authority to counter-mand a previous RA isn't the same as meaning that it's a good idea. That is in general. The RA should only go against a previous RA at the
Han Held: (cont)
Han Held: behest of the citizens, meaning because of citizens complaints, or if new information or requests to examine a decision is made at the meeting. For the sake of stability the RA should not contradict itself just for giggles, but in response. (cont)
Shep Titian: raises hand
Han Held: Speaking of Friedsee speciically, which is what triggered this conversation; there was no hue and cry to not carry out the decision to implement the purchase and many of us saw it as a risk that might increase citizenship and for that reason was worth taking. There was no hue or cry to NOT get the sim so there was no reason for us to consider not going through with that promise (to purchase the sim)
Han Held: If the government is constantly changing it's minde, you cannot trust it. So one RA should not contradict the previous one without reason.
Han Held: Done
Lilith Ivory: Calli, than Shep
RogueGeek Cooperstone: /me raises hand
Callipygian Christensen: Hannah - I absolutely agree with you, that RA sould never reverse laws etc on a whim - it is a serious issue. I will not address Friedsee ( we are , I think, establishing a broader issue that whatever may have triggered the petition)...
Han Held: /me nods, understanding
Callipygian Christensen: but, if a decsision made by a previous RA may have a negative impact on the CDS or its finances, in my opinion, the RA has the *responsibility* to review and possibly reverse the decision, even if no one else raises the issue. THe RA is not just 'reactive', it is meant to be proactive.
Callipygian Christensen: Done
Lilith Ivory: thank you
Shep Titian: I hope the RA is above doing any such thing for giggles!!! Done
Lilith Ivory: Shep?
Lilith Ivory: ok thank you
Shep Titian: oop sorry preempted
Lilith Ivory: Coop
Han Held: /me hand
Han Held: /me raises my hand
RogueGeek Cooperstone: Just to say that there were strenuous objections before the sim purchase, on several occasions.
RogueGeek Cooperstone: That's all
Lilith Ivory: thank you Coop
Lilith Ivory: Han?
Han Held: As Shep said, the RA doesn't do anything for giggles; I believe it's safe to say that nothing would have been passed without some research and consideration. And that's part of the decision making process though the RA is obligated to go back and examine the transcripts of the discussion leading up to whatever decsions is being questioned.
Han Held: done
Lilith Ivory: thank you han
Lilith Ivory: so do we all agree that: 'The SC finds that, where the impact on the CDS is liekley to be negative, an incoming RA may, after research and debate, reverse the directons of a previous RA
Aliasi Stonebender: aye.
Soro Dagostino: I'll vote aye, though I think it unnecessary.
Callipygian Christensen: Lilith - could we change the wording from 'directions' to 'actions or decisions' to reflect the petition wording?
Lilith Ivory: yes of course
Callipygian Christensen: I am an 'ayr ' either way
Callipygian Christensen: aye
Soro Dagostino: ok by me.
Lilith Ivory: I vote aye too
Lilith Ivory: can we go to the next item (old business) or does anyone wants to add something to new business?
Lilith Ivory: Calli :)
Callipygian Christensen: Thnakyou - more a notice of new business
Callipygian Christensen: members of the SC are considering the addition of new members, once discussions with any candidates put forward are completed
Callipygian Christensen: Lilith - please add 'additional SC members ' to the next agenda
Callipygian Christensen: Done :)
Lilith Ivory: I will do Calli :)
Lilith Ivory: next item, old business
Lilith Ivory: I think we can skip item 1 , srtandard templates for petition as Arria was working on it and is not here at the moment to speak on it
Lilith Ivory: do we all agree on that or does anyone want to speak about tis item?
Callipygian Christensen: agreed
Soro Dagostino: agreed
Lilith Ivory: Item 2: Hearing and Impeachment Procedures
Lilith Ivory: Calli can you speak on this item?
Callipygian Christensen: Yes.
Lilith Ivory: go ahead please :)
Callipygian Christensen: Mea culpa on not having something ready to review. Last time we addresssed this we tabled to wait for a pending law to be voted on, identifying behaviours or actions that were bannable.
Callipygian Christensen: I will review what has been passed, update the drafts, and hopefully have them ready for a review and ovote next meeting.
Soro Dagostino: Move to table.
Lilith Ivory: second :)
Soro Dagostino: Move to take a nap.
Han Held: /me giggles into her hand :3
Soro Dagostino: :D
Lilith Ivory: hehehe Soro
Lilith Ivory: do we have anything more or can we decide about our next meeting date and time?
Aliasi Stonebender: I don't think so?
Lilith Ivory: what about having our next meeting at april 10 , 9am ?
Soro Dagostino: Anything we need to do about the By-election?
Callipygian Christensen: is that before or after the RA meeting? (the 10th)
Lilith Ivory: /me looks at Shep
Lilith Ivory: I have to admit I don?t know right now when the RA will meet next
Han Held: I beleive we meet on the 2nd
Han Held: I can check
Shep Titian: Forum is down
Shep Titian: I went to check
Han Held: April 2nd, noon is our next meeting time
Shep Titian: it was 2nd or 3rd April
Soro Dagostino: It fell asleep.
Soro Dagostino: The Forum . . . .
Lilith Ivory: ... again :(
Callipygian Christensen: 10th is fine then
Han Held: /me looks neutrally straight ahead
Lilith Ivory: ok
Lilith Ivory: are you ok with the 10th too Soro and Aliasi?
Lilith Ivory: at 9am
Soro Dagostino: Ok with me.
Soro Dagostino: Yes.
Lilith Ivory: Aliasi, does that work for you too?
Aliasi Stonebender: I don't see any reason why it wouldn't/
Aliasi Stonebender: and I do need to get going now.
Soro Dagostino: RL is calling me too.
Lilith Ivory: ok so let?s have our next meeting at april 10, 9am slt
Callipygian Christensen: move to adjourn
Soro Dagostino: good to see you all.
Lilith Ivory: I second
Lilith Ivory: oh my, looks like Arria has become a victim of daylight saving time too
Soro Dagostino: Aye
Callipygian Christensen: aye
Lilith Ivory: aye
Lilith Ivory: Hi Arria
Tanoujin Milestone: Hi Arria :)=
Han Held: Hi, Arria
Callipygian Christensen: hi Arria
Arria Perreault: Hi all :-) Sorry ...
Lilith Ivory: we just have adjourned :(
Arria Perreault: I came too late at home
Arria Perreault: ok :-)
Lilith Ivory: I call this meeting adjourned

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”