Announcements by the Dean of the Scientific Council

Moderator: SC Moderators

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Petition re: Validity of May 2 RA Meeting - Felicia Fortune

Post by Callipygian »

The following petition has been received:

I would like to request that the SC consider whether the recent Representatives Assembly meeting held on May 2, 2015 at 11:30am SLT was legally constituted in line with the RA’s Rules of Procedures found here:
http://portal.slcds.info/index.php/faqs ... procedure/

These rules and procedures state that:

"The Leader of the RA (LRA) will determine the proposed agenda for each meeting, and publish it on a notecard and on the forum at least 24 hours before each meeting."

Guillaume Mistwalker, acting as LRA pro tem, posted the notice for the meeting on the forums on May 1, 2015 8:42am SLT however notices under the CDS group show that no notice was sent in world concerning this meeting.
Many citizens do not read the forums and may not have been aware that the RA was planning on meeting.
Given that at this meeting, the RA approved changes in voting procedures in the upcoming elections, I would like the SC to rule on whether these actions stand, or need to be voted on again, taking into account that no notice of this meeting was posted inworld.
It would be in the best interest of the CDS to determine if this meeting was valid, rather than take the chance that someone may use this oversight to possibly invalidate the upcoming elections.

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Petition re: Validity of May 2 RA Meeting - Felicia Fort

Post by Callipygian »

The members of RA have acknowledged that no inworld group notice of the meeting and agenda was posted; they have indicated that they will meet again, with proper publication of that meeting. Since this will address the concern raised in the petition, no further action is required.

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”